Ashley Sampi doing preseason with Demons

Guest Peter Griffin

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just announced on Sports Tonight!

One should not draw too many unnecessary conclusions from that. Firstly, he would have to satisy the coach (and probably himself) that he has the necessary desire and hunger to revive his career and secondly, he would have to be picked by us in the PSD (assuming he doesn't nominate himself in the national draft). We have third choice so there are two other clubs ahead of us in the order of selection.

Meanwhile, forward Ashley Sampi will fly to Victoria early next week to do pre-season training with Melbourne.

The Demons organised for Sampi to live with Aaron Davey and will monitor his progress leading into the national draft. Melbourne has picks four, 14, 21, 52, 64 and 70 in the draft.

---

A 23yo strong defender, the Dees place him under Aarons wing to monitor his progress...

The Mfc is thinking outside the square, but most importantly, we're quick and we're willing to ACT.

Further to this, comments from John Messen today:

“I looked at all my options and Melbourne showed the most interest..."

The thing that gets me with the Sampi thing is the same thing that got me with the Pickett thing...

I don't mean to make this about "aboriginality" and apologise in advance for any offence this may cause, but I'm not sure Aaron Davey is the answer to Aboriginal footballers' woes. Just because he's such an upstanding citizen, and such a family man doesn't mean he's going to be able to magically make a 23 year old with application problems suddenly come over all professional.

Let's say for a minute Sampi does a Pickett, and comes over and has a sensational year what with all the freshness of it all. What's to say in 2 or 3 or 4 years he won't start going downhill again? Give me a hardworking player who improves consistently over his career to evolve into a solid AFL contributor over a freak of a talent who waxes and wanes anyday. We just got rid of one freakish talent for having application problems, why do we need another?

I guess we're not missing out on much, assuming there's no-one else is the PS draft at pick 3...

I don't think the risk is very high - nor was it for Byron. Ashley Sampi is capable of playing good footy and won't cost much, whereas Trapper cost a bloody arm and a leg and only delivered half the time.

And as for Sampi living with Aaron Davey, I can't think of any better way for him to kick start his career in a cold, dreary city than with an upstanding member of the Brotherhood. Give the bloke a shot, I say. At the very least, a year or two down the line, we'll have had a player - retired or delisted - who was able to give himself a second chance to play the game he loves - and at minimal risk to the club he played for.

Yeah. All good points Chook.

One thing I DO like is that it's all well and good to get rid of your dead wood, and replace it with young players in the draft... but you're going to have to suffer badly before they hit their prime. It makes sense to throw in a few 21-24 year olds, and in that way at least, Sampi fits the bill.

especially as he has stated he will play for the minimum amount, i would be surprised if he gets to pick 3 in the PSD. So i believe we will have to pick him up earlier

also, i think it is a good idea to live with arron. He is moving to a foreign city, and we all are aware of how indigenous players stick together, and look out for each other, i think arron is thew perfect person to get sampi settled in his new environment.

We should hide him, make him train with another group and leak to the press that we will not pick him up as he doesn't have the commitment required for AFL level and for him to tell Carlton and Richmond he won't play with them next year. Every other big club does this why shouldn't we.

Let's say for a minute Sampi does a Pickett, and comes over and has a sensational year what with all the freshness of it all. What's to say in 2 or 3 or 4 years he won't start going downhill again? Give me a hardworking player who improves consistently over his career to evolve into a solid AFL contributor over a freak of a talent who waxes and wanes anyday. We just got rid of one freakish talent for having application problems, why do we need another?

I guess we're not missing out on much, assuming there's no-one else is the PS draft at pick 3...

While I am not a fan of Sampi's if we pick him up at low cost and we get 2 to 4 years where we he plays well then he has been a bargain and a great pick up with PSD No 3 or ND pick 70+.

There have been some good points made elsewhere that Sampi is a different proposition to Pickett. They are right. We gave pick 20, $300,000 a year to player to play a proven critical role in our side. He failed MFC badly and let it down publicly and ungraciously. Pickett's freakish talents were behind him and in his own mid he had nothing to prove in football and was not interested. And DB would have been involved in the decision to cut the 2004 NSM in 2005.

If Sampi fails on a one year contract then its good bye with little expense and little financial loss to us. Everything else is upside.

also, i think it is a good idea to live with arron. He is moving to a foreign city, and we all are aware of how indigenous players stick together, and look out for each other, i think arron is thew perfect person to get sampi settled in his new environment.

Nothing like a generalisation as a prop for a solution. Heard a rumour that non indigenous players like to stick together as well.

if you honestly think an indigenous player would be just as comfortable living with a white player on our list, i am afraid you are living a cocoon. There is no doubt in my mind that indigenous players look out for each other, and feel more comfortable with each other

if you honestly think an indigenous player would be just as comfortable living with a white player on our list, i am afraid you are living a cocoon. There is no doubt in my mind that indigenous players look out for each other, and feel more comfortable with each other

Could Sampi actually live on his own or does that not fit the generalisation yo bro?

Could Sampi actually live on his own or does that not fit the generalisation yo bro?

as i stated he is moving to a new city and a new environment, so to live with someone makes the move a bit easier. And indigenous players are more comfortable with other indigenous players.

Yup, pretty safe to say we'll be picking him up if he shows enough dedication, I reckon it could work, and it'd be good to have another indigenous player to replace Byron...

is there a quota we must fulfil? i didn't realise...

the club certainly has a 1000% improvement on insight into the Perth and Adelaide footy worlds now !! expect this will pay off in a number of ways !! :)

If Sampi gets his act together then I would be more than happy seeing him and Davey running around in the forward line together.

Got to agree with that. At his best he is mercurial and freakish, as well as a decent leading forward. It would be an excellent addition to our forward line. We are dying for another good crumber; Sampi is one of the best when on-song. I don't want a pudding, however, and I think the club is taking the right approach to the whole thing.

He sounds like a bit of a recluse to me, which is probably good for him keeping out of trouble, and there aren't too many better role models, as far as indigenous players go, as Davey.

One amongst not too many that CAN actually play front and back.. A handy utility player. Curious to see how this might evolve . He can kick which cant be a bad thing ...lol

I remember when Farmer was first at the club, and for a few seasons after, he would continually go walk-about at seasons end, and we'd have to find him and convince him to come back. I think he first played for us in '95.

It wasn't until '98 that he started to really focus on his career at the club. Sampi is obviously similar, in that he does go wandering. If he is picked in the PSD, hopefully he realises that second chances at AFL level are few and far between and is fully committed.

He is still only 23, and at his best is more mercurial than Steve Johnson. He would be a very handy acquisition to our forward line, if he is committed to playing footy.