More insults from the AFL

Blistering

The AFL has handed Richmond an insulting draw with three home games at the Telstra Dome including one against Co-MCG tenant Melbourne - another insult from the AFL to Victorian clubs.

Watch how they pamper the interstaters and ignore things like the drug culture out west but when it comes to the Vics, anything goes including taking away their home ground rights - Tigers snarling over Dome home games.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Melb v Rich at the TD? :(

"...the club directors remained dismayed at the decision, particularly given that two of the club's MCG home games have been scheduled against Adelaide and West Coast — games better suited to Telstra Dome."

Hmm.

Its actually Richmond vs Melb at the Dome. Its a Tigers home game. They will be screwed as MFC supporters dont attend the Dome in great numbers. No complaints about that. Stuff them.

There will be alot of whinging on this site about the draw. However, MFC as a crowd drawing team is embarrassing and is hardly going to demand and receive the draw benefits that befit a Collingwood and Essendon. Even Carlton....cant stand them but I do recognise that even during the dark days their supporters still front in reasonable numbers.

I am not sure what the WCE drug culture has to do with the scheduling of a game between two Vic based clubs.

Lets wait for the full draw and do full analysis of each team before we launch into the mindless annual bleating about the draw.

I actually think for the lack of leverage we have had, we have managed in some years a reasonable draw not withstanding where we have finished the year before.

Its actually Richmond vs Melb at the Dome. Its a Tigers home game. They will be screwed as MFC supporters dont attend the Dome in great numbers. No complaints about that. Stuff them.

There will be alot of whinging on this site about the draw. However, MFC as a crowd drawing team is embarrassing and is hardly going to demand and receive the draw benefits that befit a Collingwood and Essendon. Even Carlton....cant stand them but I do recognise that even during the dark days their supporters still front in reasonable numbers.

I am not sure what the WCE drug culture has to do with the scheduling of a game between two Vic based clubs.

Lets wait for the full draw and do full analysis of each team before we launch into the mindless annual bleating about the draw.

I actually think for the lack of leverage we have had, we have managed in some years a reasonable draw not withstanding where we have finished the year before.

For once!!

Strongly agreed.

I doubt I'll complain TOO much about the fixture, unless there is some seriously nonsensical scheduling. I only hope that our MCG home games get spread out a bit more this year. I may have been wrong, but it felt to me as though there was a pretty extensive streak in the second half of the season where there was maybe 1 and at absolute most 2, MCG home games in about 8 weeks. I'd much rather have them spread out than all in one block at the start of the year. That way a few more people might come in the second half of the season if things aren't going so well.

You can almost guarantee that Collingwood will get 18 home games, and just the 4 interstate games.

And McGuire had the gall to come out the other day to say the competition would be compromised if the

Roos moved north and recieved compensation draft zones. The competition is already irrevocably comprimised by the charmed run the filth get with the draw every year!

when are we expecting a full draw to be availbale

im not sure of the exact date but i remember i was in anglesea with a hawthorn mate when we were reading the fixture. we went there early january. Sorry i cant be of more help

Kangaroos V Melbourne - Round 4 Cararra

Sauce - Gold Coast Bulletin.

So it looks like we'll playing 7 interstate games ( a record) next year, unless we play 2 interstate teams only at the MCG.

Meanwhile Carlton and Essendon get 4.

That is disgraceful!

They can't send us interstate 7 times, while Collingwood only travel 4 times a season.

I hope that by sending us to Cararra, they only send us to Adelaide and Perth once, meaning we still get a total of 6 interstate games.

That is disgraceful!

They can't send us interstate 7 times, while Collingwood only travel 4 times a season.

I hope that by sending us to Cararra, they only send us to Adelaide and Perth once, meaning we still get a total of 6 interstate games.

No it isnt. Its reality.

The Kangaroos will be in Carrara within the next two years to survive. So they should be considered an interstate club soon. Otherwise we would probably be playing them at the dome.

People have to realise that while Collingwood can pack out stadiums they will be favoured with a draw that maximises the AFL's crowd numbers. I have no qualms on this occassion with Eddie McGuire's comments. He is just representing Collingwood's interest.

However given what has happened with AFL support of fledgling interstate clubs I would not be surprised if North did get draft/list concessions.

when are we expecting a full draw to be availbale

Last years fixture was released on Tuesday, October 4th.

So using that as a measuring stick its already late this year. No doubt the league will be quoted about 'the intricacies of calculating the draw using the finest computer program from America' and 'accomodating as many of all of the clubs wishes as we can' and 'We think its a fair and exciting draw for all teams'.

All of these statements should really read 'We bowed to whatever the TV networks wanted us to do for next year, pleeease can we have our cheque for next years TV rights now?'

Kangaroos V Melbourne - Round 4 Cararra

So it looks like we'll playing 7 interstate games ( a record) next year, unless we play 2 interstate teams only at the MCG.

How does us playing the Gold Coast Roos at Cararra mean we will be going interstate 7 times? We have the Canberra game, then maybe 1 trip to Perth, 2 to Adelaide, and 1 to Sydney. That would be 6. Or is that just some of the mindless bleating Rhino is talking about?

How does us playing the Gold Coast Roos at Cararra mean we will be going interstate 7 times? We have the Canberra game, then maybe 1 trip to Perth, 2 to Adelaide, and 1 to Sydney. That would be 6. Or is that just some of the mindless bleating Rhino is talking about?

plus the other perth game and brisbane in brisbane.

every year we play all the sides interstate while other clubs never get on a plane. i wonder if collingwood would have finished top four if they had the draw we get every year? and those years we crashed out of the finals? i wonder how we would have gone with 3 extra mcg games? people can claim it doesnt matter, but it does. i wouldnt care if it roated around a little bit and evened out over 5-6 years, but it doesnt. and until it doesnt we are always disadvantaged in the premiership race.

No it isnt. Its reality.

The Kangaroos will be in Carrara within the next two years to survive. So they should be considered an interstate club soon. Otherwise we would probably be playing them at the dome.

People have to realise that while Collingwood can pack out stadiums they will be favoured with a draw that maximises the AFL's crowd numbers. I have no qualms on this occassion with Eddie McGuire's comments. He is just representing Collingwood's interest.

However given what has happened with AFL support of fledgling interstate clubs I would not be surprised if North did get draft/list concessions.

Maybe we should really be concentrating on how we build up attendances to be seen as a power club. I have an idea, what if we "WIN" more often.

No. Actually an educated calculation.

1 game at Gold Coast

2 games at Perth

1 game at Adelaide

1 game in Sydney

1 game in Canberra

1 game in Brisbane

= 7 games

Are you going to tell me the AFL will be any nicer with us.

I recall Collingwood going deep into September.

Can't remember us playing any finals.

Yes, Collingwood always get a favourable draw.

Live with it.

It's up to us to win games and pull crowds. Then we'll get the good draws.

Our fate is in our own hands.

plus the other perth game and brisbane in brisbane.

every year we play all the sides interstate while other clubs never get on a plane. i wonder if collingwood would have finished top four if they had the draw we get every year? and those years we crashed out of the finals? i wonder how we would have gone with 3 extra mcg games? people can claim it doesnt matter, but it does. i wouldnt care if it roated around a little bit and evened out over 5-6 years, but it doesnt. and until it doesnt we are always disadvantaged in the premiership race.

Since the mid 60s Dean we have been disadvantaged in the premiership race much of it our own doing. It wont turn around until what Redleg and Ted Fidge have said. Get bums on seat and win games.

Collingwood got to top 4 because they were a top 4 side. MFC were bottom 4 because we were a bottom 4 side.

The draw is useful but dont overplay its importance. Their are more fundamental issues directly under the Club's control that govern success or failure.

We have crashed out of the finals in recent years because we were not good enough under September pressure. Many of those games were at the G.

Like Collingwood has, MFC needs to learn how to play interstate grounds.

Maybe we should really be concentrating on how we build up attendances to be seen as a power club. I have an idea, what if we "WIN" more often.

Exactly Redleg. Right on the money.

And before whinging supporters say well we would get more supporters if we played at the MCG. Well the fact is we dont. We are a low membership low supporter base club.

We will not get Collingwood type draws until we pull Collingwood type crowds consistently.

i understand what you are saying rhino but it is a vicious cycle. you say we need to win more to get a more favourable draw? but having a less favourable draw makes it harder to win more. if the draw was even i could agree with the reward those who perform argument, but as it stands the team that has the easier draw has more chance of being rewarded the following year.

in 2004/05 collingwood finished 13th and 15th respectively. in 2006 collingwoods first interstate game was round 7. and they only played 4 interstate games for the year (subiaco, FP x2 and stadium australia in sydney (probably to try and get a big crowd in sydney).

between 1995 and 2000, collingwood didnt make the finals once. they finished 10th 11th 10th 14th 16th 15th over 6 years. (in 2001 they finished 9th as well...)

in 2001 they only had to go interstate 3 times (FP x2, subicao). 3 out of 22. which is interesting. because i seem to remember us having a fairly decent 2000. i think we won a lot of games and perhaps played off in the premiership. that year we had 5 interstate trips plus the 'home game' we had to play at the gabba.

rhino. even when we have won games, we havnt been rewarded as you and others are claiming. collingwood had had 6 horrible years but had a dream draw, while we, who had won games, as you said, were rewarded with nothing.

until the draw is made equitable all of these arguments mean nothing. the rich get richer, the poor get poorer, and certain clubs have more of a chance of winning the flag than others do.

it is not about on field performances, it is about making the afl money, when it really should be about equality for all teams, regardless of financial position.

if anyone wants reason why we chouldnt get the CBF money from the AFL then here it is. up to 19 games in melbourne vesus 15 games in melbourne. whos members get better value for money? whos sponsors get more tv air time? whos sponsors get advertising in the home city? what chance do we have to compete with that?