2001 Draft

The HuLK

Hey guys, 2001 draft would prob be the most successful hodge, ball, JUDD, bartell ect.... was just wondering does any1know who we got in that draft?

You'll break a few hearts asking after the 2001 draft.

Y'see. It kinda sucked for us. What am I saying, kinda? It sucked. Like a tornado. Like a tornado full of vacuum cleaners falling into a black hole.

It was 'the superdraft', and I doubt there's a club out there that did worse than us in the end. This draft is one of the reasons many people still hesitate in their worship of Craig Cameron. To improve everyone's mood, ask about the 1999 draft (but don't mention salary cap penalties or Matthew Pavlich)

Pick 9 Luke Molan

Not sure exactly what happened, but I think he copped a bad injury and then never really delivered. Not sure he even played a game.

Pick 25 Steven Armstrong

Showed promise winning a rising star nomination while being the much-needed crumber at Neitz's feet towards the end of 2002. Routinely played between 5 and 10 games a season for the next few years before being delisted, picked up as a rookie by West Coast and playing in their premiership as a handy but unexceptional small-forward.

Pick 26 Aaron Rogers

No idea. I guess he didn't come through. Can't find any record of him playing.

Pick 55 Brad Miller

For a late pick a good return, but has driven people mad by showing considerable promise but never quite reaching that next level. Very good in 2006 final vs Freo, as well as some bursts of a few games here and there. Currently at a cross-roads, maybe trade-bait, maybe a forward, maybe a defender, no-one really knows what is going to happen next with Miller, and I don't mean that in the good 'Aaron Davey' way.

On a more useful note - anytime you have questions about drafts and players there are two websites I've been finding priceless -

www.thedrafter.net

keeps a record of all drafts (not rookie though) and you can vote on the quality of each clubs drafting!

http://www.stats.rleague.com/afl/afl_index.html

has player stats for all players since 1991, game by game. Very handy, but it really annoys me that it's got 'rleague' in the address.

we passed on Nick DalSanto who was extremely highly rated midfielder and somehow slipped past pick 9...

but we needed a CHF so we went for what we needed instead of best available...

lessons are learnt the hard way

From the rumours I've heard what happened was worse than that. The coach at the time said that he wanted to most mean and aggresive KPP available, so we didn't even go after the best :angry: I believe that this was the only time that Daniher ever overruled CAC with a draft pick. Just another example of our poor record of recruiting KPP's

Hey guys, 2001 draft would prob be the most successful hodge, ball, JUDD, bartell ect.... was just wondering does any1know who we got in that draft?

WHO WAS MISSED WITH PICK #1 OF THE 2001 DRAFT

Year Pick # Player Club

2001 2 Luke Ball St Kilda

2001 3 Chris Judd West Coast

2001 4 Graham Polak Fremantle

2001 5 Xavier Clarke St Kilda

2001 6 Ashley Sampi West Coast

2001 7 David Hale Kangaroos

2001 8 James Bartel Geelong

2001 9 Luke Molan Melbourne

2001 10 Sam Power Western Bulldogs

2001 11 Richard Cole Collingwood

2001 12 Brent Reilly Adelaide

2001 13 Nick Del Santo St Kilda

2001 14 Ashley Watson Kangaroos

2001 15 Barry Brooks Port Adelaide

2001 16 Rick Ladson Hawthorn

2001 17 James Kelly Geelong

2001 18 Shane Harvey Essendon

2001 19 Jason Gram Brisbane

2001 20 Daniel Elstone Hawthorn

2001 21 Matt Maguire St Kilda

2001 22 Mark Seaby West Coast

2001 23 Charlie Gardiner Geelong

2001 24 Steve Johnson Geelong

2001 25 Steven Armstrong Melbourne

2001 26 Aaron Rogers Melbourne

2001 27 Tom Davidson Collingwood

2001 28 Mark Powell Sydney

2001 29 Lewis Roberts-Thomson Sydney

2001 30 Rod Crowe Kangaroos

2001 31 Joel Reynolds Essendon

2001 32 Campbell Brown Hawthorn

2001 33 David Rodan Richmond

2001 34 Simon O'Keefe Essendon

2001 35 Jarrad Wright Brisbane

2001 36 Sam Mitchell Hawthorn

2001 37 Leigh Montagna St Kilda

2001 38 Ashley Hansen West Coast

2001 39 Justin Davies Carlton

2001 40 Gary Ablett Junior (FS) Geelong

2001 41 Henry Playfair Geelong

2001 42 Kieran McGuinness Western Bulldogs

2001 43 Mark McGough Collingwood

2001 44 Ben Finnin Adelaide

2001 45 Nathan Clarke Brisbane

2001 46 Jarrad Waite (FS) Carlton

2001 47 Andrew Welsh Essendon

2001 48 Simon Cox Hawthorn

2001 49 Josh Houlihan St Kilda

2001 50 Paul Salmon Essendon

2001 52 Andrew Browne Fremantle

2001 53 Daniel Hunt Sydney

2001 54 Ben Robbins Kangaroos

2001 55 Brad Miller Melbourne

2001 56 Paul Medhurst Fremantle

2001 57 Brent Colbert Western Bulldogs

2001 58 Dane Swan Collingwood

2001 59 Jacob Schuback Adelaide

2001 60 Adam Schneider Sydney

2001 61 Mick Martyn Kangaroos

2001 62 Damon White Port Adelaide

2001 63 Adam L. Houlihan Richmond

2001 64 Daniel McAlister Essendon

2001 68 Chris Hyde Richmond

2001 69 Matthew McCarthy Geelong

2001 71 Brian Harris Western Bulldogs

2001 72 Tristen Walker Collingwood

2001 74 Ricky Mott Sydney

2001 75 Sam Cranage Carlton

2001 76 Jared Poulton Port Adelaide

2001 77 Martin McGrath Richmond

2001 80 Hugh Foott Kangaroos

2001 81 David Johnson Geelong

2001 83 Aaron James Western Bulldogs

From the rumours I've heard what happened was worse than that. The coach at the time said that he wanted to most mean and aggresive KPP available, so we didn't even go after the best :angry: I believe that this was the only time that Daniher ever overruled CAC with a draft pick. Just another example of our poor record of recruiting KPP's

yes something like this we went for KPP and Molan was meant to be pick 30 odd in teh mock drafts