Another A. Obst

alpha33

Andrew Obst was one of my favourites in the early 90's. This bloke's aparently not related but might be an interesting to consider for the draft -

Obst hoping it's all in a name by Matt Burgan - Sportal for afl.com.au October 26 2005

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=draft&spg...rticleid=235302

The Obst name is synonymous with South Australian football.

Trevor Obst was a Magarey Medallist with the Port Adelaide Magpies, while Andrew Obst crossed the border to play 149 AFL matches for Melbourne during the 1990s.

So how does up-and-coming Central District defender Alan Obst fit into the famous footballing family? Well, despite coming from South Australia and being a highly promising draft prospect, he doesn't.

"As far as I'm aware, there is actually no relation whatsoever," Obst told afl.com.au at the recent NAB AFL Draft Camp in Canberra.

"But I'll use it, if it's going to help me get drafted," he added with a laugh.

The 18-year-old represented South Australia during this year's NAB AFL under 18 championships, before attending this year's camp. And when he was at the camp he couldn't believe he was given the opportunity to show his wares.

"I'm normally a bit of a pessimist. If you told me I was going to be at draft camp a few years ago, I'd probably tell you where to go," Obst said.

"Personally, I thought my year could have been better. You can always improve as a footballer, but the championships were a real good week away and I can't believe I'm here (at the draft camp) - it's just really good."

Obst said he spoke to several clubs at the camp and added that the process of being interviewed by a range of coaches and recruiting managers was fascinating.

"Every coach is different and the recruiting managers, but there is no way around it," Obst said.

"You can only hope for the best and they do a lot of interviews Australia-wide and you don't want to go too far ahead of yourself, so it's a pretty interesting time.

"It'd be pretty good to stay in South Australia, but the dream is to play AFL, so I think it'd be great."

This A. Obst is a bit different from Andrew Obst. Alan is 192cm and 82kg and is a bit of a one trick pony in that he is a strong mark but his ground play is ordinary. He wasn't particularly impressive at the national championships, nor at the draft camp.

In racing parlance, prefer others.

This A. Obst is a bit different from Andrew Obst. Alan is 192cm and 82kg and is a bit of a one trick pony in that he is a strong mark but his ground play is ordinary. He wasn't particularly impressive at the national championships, nor at the draft camp.

In racing parlance, prefer others.

Rookie pickup possibility? I like the sound of a strong mark, fairly rare these days.

I enjoyed watching 'Obba' play in his heyday

Was never the hardest player, but always found the pill and used it reasonably well

I enjoyed watching 'Obba' play in his heyday

Was never the hardest player, but always found the pill and used it reasonably well

Have to disagree with you on that point, I thought for a guy his size Obba was hard at the ball and had a mean streak in him.

Sad to see he missed out on the 150 games.

Have to disagree with you on that point, I thought for a guy his size Obba was hard at the ball and had a mean streak in him.

Sad to see he missed out on the 150 games.

I thought the way he finished up a bit unfortunate too - used to love watching him get around the field!

So how many sons of players are there going around? Didn't Robbie Flower have a son trying out??

• 1 year later...
On the topic of Andrew, anyone know what he's upto these days?

Hey, I know this is an old thread, but anyway. Andrew had a brain tumour a few years back which knocked him about a bit but he's fully recovered now. He lives in Adelaide with his wife, former Hockeyroo Juliet Haslam, with their two kids, Jed and Mitchell. He coached an SAAFL (Amateur League) Div 2 side this year from memory, I think it was Port District - they won the division. All-round top bloke I have to say.

So how does up-and-coming Central District defender Alan Obst fit into the famous footballing family? Well, despite coming from South Australia and being a highly promising draft prospect, he doesn't.

Never heard of this guy until this post so it is a bit of a coincidence as i browse this message board and notice the " a obst" in question is playing on abc 2 at the moment !!11.30pm.

In the sanfl grand final ( from last sund.) he seems quite mobile ,has already had a number of possessions and taken a few marks and kicked the first goal( good and straight ) ..all in the first 12 or so minutes!

Not overawed by the occasion and looks like splitting image of "minson" from footascray... tall and angular..

just about to post this,when obst takes another mark and kicks another goal as i write this just 19 minutes into first quarter..

Me think it mazing..

A Obst gone missing in the 2nd 3rd and 4th quarters !!in sanfl grand final ..

sh--.!! a one quarter wunder.!!

PASS-next please..

playing for nth.ad one s.motlop- a goal sneak(remember?) who is fat and unfit ran out of puff in 2nd Q.

and also nick gill ( also ex melb.) having a dog day afternoon only just kicking their last goal.

• 3 years later...