Welcome to Demonland: Pick #5

O'Sullivan playing today for oakleigh. Had an injury interrupted year but the wraps on him are very high and was impressive as a bottom ager in the champs last year. Might be in consideration for our pick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Adam The God said:

Lalor has more the rapid rise like Clarry IMV.

I'm split on Langford and Lalor.

ATG, tbh I'm normally all over our selections. This one is trickier. For instance, I do think that the one could be a bust but also a star is Josh Smillie. I do like O'Sullivan because I do think he was the best of the mids pre-injury. And I'm not in the camp who are not wanting to draft Jagga Smith because, for mine, a problem is how we deliver into the forward line.

Langford and Lalor would be great, certainly re size

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, John Demonic said:

Do we have an inkling of what  Richmond, Norf, WCE & Adelaide will draft? And what will remain for us?

If I was to guess, Jagga Smith has played for Richmond VFL. Maybe him at 1. Norf are into Trainor....apparently. Adelaide I think will pick up SA boy Draper. WCE... maybe O'/Sullivan. Maybe

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I guess what JT and the club will be considering is also where someone like Tholstrup fits in going forward. Does he have the skillset to then play an ANB type role? I think he can. Trac may be resting considerably more in the forward line. In fact, no doubt he will. Then there's Windsor presumably getting more of a run through the middle. Rivers?

Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Return to Glory said:

ATG, tbh I'm normally all over our selections. This one is trickier. For instance, I do think that the one could be a bust but also a star is Josh Smillie. I do like O'Sullivan because I do think he was the best of the mids pre-injury. And I'm not in the camp who are not wanting to draft Jagga Smith because, for mine, a problem is how we deliver into the forward line.

Langford and Lalor would be great, certainly re size

O’Sullivan is definitely my number 1 ranked player. His form last year as an under age player was comparable to any of the top 5/6 last year.  He’s a star.  Had a few niggling injuries but that shouldn’t deter recruiters.  
Plays like? Like a slightly shorter version of LDU.  

Aside from him Langford, Lalor and Lindsay are my preferred options.  

I agree Smillie could be star or a bust.  Doesn’t work hard enough without the footy. Disposals can be erratic by hand.  But his kicking is elite and he can kick 50-60 metres easily. He also kicks goals.  Depends on his will to succeed and learn. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

O'Sullivan is an interesting one if injuries are holding him back from a higher rating.

There have been others in a similar boat, Joel Selwood comes to mind, who slid a bit in the draft due to injuries which was amazing for the clubs that drafted them.

Then there's players like Brodie Kemp who slipped in the draft due to injury, and while a solid contributor, he isn't the Bontempelli type some compared him to.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Return to Glory said:

I guess what JT and the club will be considering is also where someone like Tholstrup fits in going forward. Does he have the skillset to then play an ANB type role? I think he can. Trac may be resting considerably more in the forward line. In fact, no doubt he will. Then there's Windsor presumably getting more of a run through the middle. Rivers?

I’d love to see Kolt permanently take ANB’s spot and transition the role into a more rounded/attacking version for 2025 and beyond. 

Can certainly appreciate what our Half forward rotation have done defensively in years gone by but have always felt we are spending too much energy defensively.

Pick 5 needs to go to a mid with serious skill and some breakaway pace. We don’t need another Trac, we need someone who compliments Trac and Clarry

Edited by BW511
  • Like 6

I am now thinking one of the mids mentioned above is the way to go. Hopefully we get 'lucky' and get a mid who turns out to be elite.

I just hope like 'hell' we keep or pick 5 for the draft. We may even look to trade our future 1st back into this draft.

Does anyone know where todays stats for Oakleigh can be accessed?

• Like 1

All our kids are still in bar Mentha who was injured so might not have made next week anyway. 
yze - 19, 1 goal 

Ah-Mu - 3 goals, 4 hit outs 

Mentha - 7 touches 

Andrew - 12, 7 rebound 50, 7 hit outs 

Prasard, 1 goal 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I watched Ah- Mu's goals at the 9.1 min of the 1st q and 20 .4 min of the 4th Q..

He is massive for Coates.. I assumed he would out muscle the 'kids' for his goals. Geez was i wrong. He got his goals via uncontested natural forward movement and leading.

He kicked 3 goals out of the teams winning 9 goals 10 behinds. He has had a few bags of 3 this year.

We might have something to work with here with this underager.  

Thanks Dee-licous for the Coates app tip, cheers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, manny100 said:

Thanks, i am downloading the Coates Talent league app. . Is Prasard eligible for the 2026 draft?

Yes he is. He’s dominated U16 and playing up at the moment for finals. 

• Like 4

Its interesting there are question marks on a lot of the players in the top 5-6 that we may be picking from.

Smillie - Pretty poor season leading into the draft

Jagga - Size will limit his first few seasons until he can build his body

O'Sullivan- Injury prone year (luckily not soft tissue but a lot of impact injuries isn't great leading into brutal AFL level)

Langford - Lack of speed could limit his ceiling

I expect most of these players to come good but for Melbourne we probably do need someone who can play in our best 22 and have an impact their first season. I'm expecting the higher ceiling players that have more class like Jagga, O'Sullivan and Draper to go earlier to teams like Richmond, North and Westcoast who can afford to be patient and develop those guns gradually. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Having watched the Gippsland v Dandenong final my observations 

Langford - good in patches but not that influential. Probably just a down day and you can see he is a talent

Ah Mu - big boy and reasonably mobile not sure if that size will be enough in AFL but not with potential 

Mentha - looked pretty good before being injured 

Andrew - like his brother very athletic and has some skills worth a point imo 

I was probably most impressed with Alix Tarau who would be a good second round pick if available. Over 190cm mobile , good hands and doesn’t mind a bit of rough stuff.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

On 05/09/2024 at 11:03, demoncat said:

I reckon I got more joy watching Higgins kick that goal than I have at just about any Dees game this year 😭

It took me back to when McMahon did it for Richmond. Actually let's not talk about what happened after that one. 

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Dee-licious said:

All our kids are still in bar Mentha who was injured so might not have made next week anyway. 
yze - 19, 1 goal 

Ah-Mu - 3 goals, 4 hit outs 

Mentha - 7 touches 

Andrew - 12, 7 rebound 50, 7 hit outs 

Prasard, 1 goal 

What year are all these kids eligible for the draft?