Dees Down But Not Out

52 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

How so? I count 5

Port (G), Essendon (G), GWS (G), Collingwood(G), Fremantle(Optus) to come. The non 8 sides we are playing are Lions (Gabba) Doggies (Marvel), Suns (Gold Coast), Eagles (G) and North (G)

There is a real chance we only win 2 (Norf, WC) of the remaining games - even those are iffy. 

Unfortunately we have bottom 6 written all over us atm. Even a chance of bottom 4.  

Port, GWS, doggies, eagles, and north are winnable if we play right but the others no, but football is a funny game.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, demon3165 said:

Because he's not a child unlike some here.

He may as well as “kissed” his ring.

could you go and see your mate Gus and say Maynard is OK ?  

Show respect to your own team and supporters. Respect the opposition play not the individual.

or do you think it was just a football action. ?

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

9 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Port, GWS, doggies, eagles, and north are winnable if we play right but the others no, but football is a funny game.

Have you been watching us play? North and WC are seriously even money. Port and Doggies will pull us apart with their contest game. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Unfortunately we have bottom 6 written all over us atm. Even a chance of bottom 4.  

Come on, you can do better than that.  Wooden spoon!  Wooden spoon!

• Haha 3

If Goodwin can turn around our season and guide us to a 6-4 record post bye then I will have a new amount of respect for him. 

It would have showed that he can successfully coach against adversity with respect to losing his best player for the season as well as the confidence in the playing group being at its collectively lowest ebb, as well as its pressure and skill execution.

As it stand right now, the club will struggle to win 2 more games if things don't turn around whatsoever.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, 640MD said:

He may as well as “kissed” his ring.

could you go and see your mate Gus and say Maynard is OK ?  

Show respect to your own team and supporters. Respect the opposition play not the individual.

or do you think it was just a football action. ?

Do you know if Gus has spoken to Maynard you seem to think so so don't assume on that point but if you want to go that analogy past players at Melbourne shouldn't talk to Grinter after what he did to wallace?

I have explained my thoughts on Maynard incident and for the benefit of you I will say it again, yes the start of the act was legal but the contact was not and I will also say this when Maynard turned his body and all footballer's are taught to turn their body before contact to protect themselves like he did that is where he should have gotten suspended, if Maynard had continued with arms up and had contacted Gus the damage would have been limited, the same as Peter Street earlier nt the year if he had continued to spoil it would have only been a fifty metre penalty.

For people to say Maynard deliberately did do that is so so stupid and limited in their thinking because emotion takes over critical thinking.

I will also say and people should realise Gus was only one more concussion away from retirement whether this year or another time, Gus is a smart person and he will be OK.

Edited by demon3165
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Have you been watching us play? North and WC are seriously even money. Port and Doggies will pull us apart with their contest game. 

Those side are not that flash, Port are hit and miss Doggies well depends what side turns up but yes maybe i am little to optimistic but deep down hopeful but whatever happens change will come next year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Do you know if Gus has spoken to Maynard you seem to think so so don't assume on that point but if you want to go that analogy past players at Melbourne shouldn't talk to Grinter after what he did to wallace?

I have explained my thoughts on Maynard incident and for the benefit of you I will say it again, yes the start of the act was legal but the contact was not and I will also say this when Maynard turned his body and all footballer's are taught to turn their body before contact to protect themselves like he did that is where he should have gotten suspended, if Maynard had continued with arms up and had contacted Gus the damage would have been limited, the same as Peter Street earlier nt the year if he had continued to spoil it would have only been a fifty metre penalty.

For people to say Maynard deliberately did do that is so so stupid and limited in their thinking because emotion takes over critical thinking.

I will also say and people should realise Gus was only one more concussion away from retirement whether this year or another time, Gus is a smart person and he will be OK.

Maynard took Gys out, there we was no ball in dispute. The Kick had been completed 

To see players laughing and joking on monday, whilst putting in an insipid effort made me feel CHEATED 

• Like 2
  • Clap 4

I agree it is hard for us supporters to see our players take a 'gentlemanly' attitude to Maynard.  But I can't condemn them for doing so like some have done on here. 

For a start, we don't know what has gone on since late last year.  For all we know Maynard crawled on his knees to Melbourne players and apologized sincerely and this has been accepted by the playing group.  

Now before your say 'yeah, as if that's likely', I'm just saying we don't know. We don't know their relationshps. So I won't condemn Petrracca for shaking his hand rather than punching him in the guts (as much as I would have enjoyed the latter).

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Maynard took Gys out, there we was no ball in dispute. The Kick had been completed 

To see players laughing and joking on monday, whilst putting in an insipid effort made me feel CHEATED 

Well that's your opinion not mine at the end of the day it's not affecting my life or players lives.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Well that's your opinion not mine at the end of the day it's not affecting my life or players lives.

Of course it’s my opinion.
You make a point of belittling different opinions to your own. 
The MFC is in danger of going down again, for an extended period, we better learn to fight hard right now. The last few weeks haven’t been a good indicator 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

The MFC is in danger of going down again, for an extended period, we better learn to fight hard right now. The last few weeks haven’t been a good indicator 

I look at things in a different light and I see the Maynard not as a deliberate act to take Gus out and you are casting aspersions on someone's character without facts just emotion.

As for your other point I have been saying the same thing about the midfield and forward line for 2 years and people said I am wrong now people see it. Our backline will be OK corrections need to be in the midfield and the forward line well that's been dysfunctional for 2 years but can be corrected with a good forward line coach and recruitment, but unless the skills and decision making of the players further up the ground improve any forward line will struggle with the way the ball comes in. Will Goodwin chance or stay the course we will soon see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sue said:

For all we know Maynard crawled on his knees to Melbourne players and apologized sincerely and this has been accepted by the playing group.  

If he had done that a photographer and video team would have it it filmed and put on Ch 7 news and Facebook etc. Along with the chocolates flowers and wine .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

In my day,  a long time ago,  you played for your team and other club mates .

Not to be bosom buddies with opposition players who had put one of your mates from your only premiership out of the game. 
maynards first thought was oh furk I will miss the GF.

not oh ferk.  How is my mate Gus. 

[censored] him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

If Goodwin can turn around our season and guide us to a 6-4 record post bye then I will have a new amount of respect for him. 

It would have showed that he can successfully coach against adversity with respect to losing his best player for the season as well as the confidence in the playing group being at its collectively lowest ebb, as well as its pressure and skill execution.

As it stand right now, the club will struggle to win 2 more games if things don't turn around whatsoever.

Indeed I hope you are correct with your first two paragraphs, unfortunately I think your last is closer    Going on how we have played since the last Bye

• Like 2

Worst case we finish 14th... pick 5... and a free September,

and move on to 2025. 

First world problems.

:)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir Why You Little said:

As they say.... not the dog in the fight but the fight in the dog.  Not seeing much fight...and  no MONGREL in the dog.

Might as well be sponsored by Western Star :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

I look at things in a different light and I see the Maynard not as a deliberate act to take Gus out and you are casting aspersions on someone's character without facts just emotion.

As for your other point I have been saying the same thing about the midfield and forward line for 2 years and people said I am wrong now people see it. Our backline will be OK corrections need to be in the midfield and the forward line well that's been dysfunctional for 2 years but can be corrected with a good forward line coach and recruitment, but unless the skills and decision making of the players further up the ground improve any forward line will struggle with the way the ball comes in. Will Goodwin chance or stay the course we will soon see.

Tell me one thing 

How was Maynard ever going to be anywhere near the Ball , considering Angus had completed his kick?

Gus was lined up. I don’t care what SEN or the AFL have to say about it. Career gone. We lose a “Captain” for good…

The Media continue to make Maynard the victim….😡

• Like 1
  • Clap 2
  • Angry 1

2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Tell me one thing 

How was Maynard ever going to be anywhere near the Ball , considering Angus had completed his kick?

Gus was lined up. I don’t care what SEN or the AFL have to say about it. Career gone. We lose a “Captain” for good…

Victim...   [censored]...  a known loose canon and serial pest.   Thats  his bloody job at the filth....ask any honest wobbly !!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PaulRB said:

Worst case we finish 14th... pick 5... and a free September,

and move on to 2025. 

First world problems.

:)

Don't mind this. In reality zero chance to win this year's flag. Is it worth finishing in the 8? Not for me. The loss of Petracca and Brayshaw is immense.  Get a pick in the top 10 (think the Suns take a couple of spots). With likely retirements/departures of Brown, Brayshaw, Smith, Melksham, Hunter, Tomlinson and, possibly TMac, surely there is salary cap room aplenty? With Max, May and Viney in the twilight of their careers now is the time. Throw plenty at RFA's Battle, LDU and perhaps Yeo. The latter two could transform a struggling midfield. Hate to say it but is Lobb worth a 'bag of chips' as a relieving ruckman/ forward? No worse than anyone we have now. Is Max King gettable? Anyway, the idea of a long break and a full pre season is some minor consolation but important. Fortunately we still have a good spread of youth on the list but I still think we have to strike whilst our 'champs are still around.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Tell me one thing 

Jesus look at the video through two eyes not red and blue, i don't have a problem with his first action of smothering and yes i would have suspended him because he turned his body but that is what players have been shown for years as i said earlier if he had just collided with Gus with two hands up Gus would have been ok.  Gus was only one concussion away from retiring it just happed to be that one.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 13/06/2024 at 15:36, Dee*ceiving said:

I am also of the view we won't play finals. Mentally shot, you can see it on the players faces and their efforts on the ground. 

• Bullied by Collingwood twice in a row now, barely gave a yelp physically on Monday 
  • Completely gave up for the first time in years vs Fremantle 
  • Embarrased by the Eagles 

I wonder if we've underestimated the losses of Melksham and Hibberd to, in the sense of their leadership and harndess. Could probably add Harmes to that as well. We have no one that plays on the edge now, Viney is to banged up and we've done our best to coach it out of Pickett.

agree about Hibberd   We don't have a strong defender to go against any medium forwards.    Howes Bowey and McVee are skilfull but don't intimidate forwards.   Rivers is the closest you get.   We are cetainly missing the way Melksham played towards the end of last year.   A medium forward who uses his body and jumps into packs, and reasonably accurate around goals.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Ouch! said:

I might have a slightly different perspective here.

Other than Trac and Melksham and Lever, we are pretty healthy. Spargo and Hunter are not walk up starts but likely in the 23. Now compare our list health to Carlton, Collingwood, GWS, Essendon, Hawks or Richmond... we can't complain about the list. Whether we have good depth is a good question. But we are not in form, and there is not a lot from those playing at Casey where they are banging down the door. 

What has changed this year is our gameplan, that is coaching related 100%. I don't think we've been solid for 4 quarters all year, even when we were winning. But things have fallen away badly, and I think the players are either not sold or capable of the game plan, it's been even more exposed without Lever down back. 

Collingwood convincingly beat us without 7 of their best players, they play a system that feels a lot more robust, in that they can plug and play someone from their list into a role and the system continues to function. We lose a player or two and our system doesn't stand up as well. Our pressure based system last year was more capable than what we have moved toward in 2024, and as a result our backline seems to be under more pressure, and the opposition are scoring more heavily as a result.

Note,  we are horribly out of form, so of course things look worse, we can turn this around. But the form feels connected to gameplan and confidence to execute.

Pretty hard to have a game plan when successful sides have good fast runners through the midfield where we are so slow.  Even Goodwin said our plan was to slow the pies down, and that didn't work.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Jesus look at the video through two eyes not red and blue, i don't have a problem with his first action of smothering and yes i would have suspended him because he turned his body but that is what players have been shown for years as i said earlier if he had just collided with Gus with two hands up Gus would have been ok.  Gus was only one concussion away from retiring it just happed to be that one.

Screenshot_20240614_175840_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1