Maynard unscathed

7 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

I may be way off base here and I certainly can't speak for the teams of the glamour years in the fifties and early sixties but hasn't Melbourne always been seen as more of a gentleman's team ( or at least educated private school) . This may just be a perception but perceptions can create some reality.

As a supporter base we have probably been erroneously painted as cheese eating, Pinot quaffing , cigar smoking snow aficionados who drive European cars with small red and blue stickers on them.

Have the players been wrongly( although I'm not sure about lately) presented as Robbie Floweresque and decent chaps rather than thugs who don't have elite skills and athleticism.

This is quite false in my opinion as we've all witnessed our fair share of Strawbbs, Stynes, Grinters, Jacksons and Ditteriches. ( We could easily name a dozen others).

But ai think in the eyes of pies fans we are perceived as soft. The whole Jack Watts saga comes back to mind.

Now as mentioned we are not privy to what Gus or the coaches wanted. But I do believe our lack of response rightly or wrongly has fueled this narrative. We one a flag in 21 so we can't be too soft but maybe we are getting tired and apathetic which gives the same picture somewhat.

I reckon pies fans have gone away thinking we are physically lacking.

We play the filth in the last round so it will be interesting to see what transpires. 

Ive attended/watched footy since a lil tacker of 5. First games in 1965..  This just for context. Teams under Smithy were hard at it . You didn't get a guernsey if you even looked like a shirker. The respect you gave the jumper and the preparedness to do the TEAM thing was just a given.

Through the decades we've had out fair share of hard nuts. We've had our champions and a lot of hard-workers . Not all so talented but very few grifters. Success ...not so much.  Even in the dourest of days the effort was honest.

But if one of ours was felled...  look out.

FF to now...yeah ....not so much

Back when we were DEMONS ..  NO ONE....and i mean NO ONE would have shook Maynard's hand...   the best he would have received would have been a non-idle reminder !! 

These other teams don't go away these days thinking we're a tad soft.   Sadly they KNOW  it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Really? If Gus didn’t want anyone retaliating, his request should’ve been ignored? 

Absolutely. I’m not suggesting anyone getting suspended for blindly punching or felling Maynard. Gus doesn’t get to dictate how we play the game. It was a statement game and we failed. Do you think that’s what Gus wanted? When Langdon gave his all duck no dinner shot 3 or 4 pies tackled him legally to make a statement and they rolled us. Watching Petracca shake his hand made me mad as I knew then we weren’t up for the fight. 

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

11 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Not necessary, thanks all the same.

You say we’re rapidly becoming a laughing stock and you may be right. I’m saying we’re not the laughing stock right now. I don’t reckon people are laughing at us, I think they’re shocked. Sure, we may well become the laughing stock but we’re not there now. 

Fair enough WCW but my intel is that there is something NQR at the Club, which has brought about this situation. Dont know what, but have a few hunches!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Billy said:

By who??

McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Laurie, Bowey, Rivers, Fritsch, Petty, these guys couldn’t hurt a fly.

Salem, Petracca, Gawn, Oliver, TMac, Nibbles,Sparrow, honest hard at the ball players with no mongrel

Viney & Kozzie would have a crack but are midgets 

So that leaves May &  a 20yo JVR

Not a lot of physicality there I’m afraid 

Hope you’re feeling ok after your WhatsApp backlash precious 

Hahaha. I’ve finally recovered thanks.

During the game, I definitely felt the desire to have the players work Maynard over. But I’ve since settled into some humanity. Petracca (and Gus) played juniors with him and given the man trac is and Maynard’s reported personal issues of the week leading up,  it’s not unreasonable that he showed him some compassion outside the sirens. In fact it’s just another layer of respect for trac. 
Trac is one of the elite few in the AFL who are above the need to manipulate the situation to gain favour. He has the skill to win already. And that is enough. I frequently see trac picking opposition off the ground after tackles and am all for it. He’s a champion and a good man. I’m glad he wears the Melbourne jumper and am content that it doesn’t change the man inside. 

furthermore, even though the commentators seemed to be calling for it, I see his proven character and standing in the game as reason enough for the filth players not ‘testing’ him off ball after his injury. Had they done anything to him and we not reacted, well that’s too far down the if path for me to fathom. 

47 minutes ago, The end is nigh said:

During the game, I definitely felt the desire to have the players work Maynard over. But I’ve since settled into some humanity. Petracca (and Gus) played juniors with him and given the man trac is and Maynard’s reported personal issues of the week leading up,  it’s not unreasonable that he showed him some compassion outside the sirens. In fact it’s just another layer of respect for trac. 
Trac is one of the elite few in the AFL who are above the need to manipulate the situation to gain favour. He has the skill to win already. And that is enough. I frequently see trac picking opposition off the ground after tackles and am all for it. He’s a champion and a good man. I’m glad he wears the Melbourne jumper and am content that it doesn’t change the man inside. 

furthermore, even though the commentators seemed to be calling for it, I see his proven character and standing in the game as reason enough for the filth players not ‘testing’ him off ball after his injury. Had they done anything to him and we not reacted, well that’s too far down the if path for me to fathom. 

All well and good but part of the game is still about testing your opponents strength and desire for the contest. Thats where we needed to greet Maynard, hard and borderline fair at the coalface and we didn’t. 
For me it wasn’t just about showing Maynard it was about showing the football world the kind of club and team we are. The week before we were pantsed by Freo and our reply was an insipid performance against a team one of our leaders had said wasn’t as good as us. Talk, talk, talk, The second half of the season will tell us a lot. Part of me just wants flags so who cares but the other part says stop talking and start grinding out some wins. 

Edited by Roost it far
  • Like 2
  • Clap 1

49 minutes ago, The end is nigh said:

There are other players on the field who could've brought the heat.

One of ours talked the big talk in the off and failed to fire a shot when the opportunity was given.

If you let others including bullies walk allover you, then guess what.  They're just gonna laugh in your face and keep doing it.  And that's exactly what the filth did from the time they walked up the race.

FCS If you aint gonna follow through with the talk just shut your traps and play footy boys.

I don't believe all the media / filth lead crappola from the Pies about their scumbag either. 

Pure marketing PR pushed out by the leaders at pooh park to make 'their boy' look like a saint and garner the sympathy of the footy circus.  Probably endorsed / sanctioned / pushed by AFL HQ as well.

Whatever the build up into the Freo and filth matches, it should've been a huge one with a massive opening on a mega aggressive scale across the board. 

Especially against the filth but not much less in the red centre.

Whatever Goodwin preached in the build up to both of those games it ended up a massive fail on both counts.

Or possibly it was successful in that he must have had all the players sitting in a circle, holding hands and singing Kumbaya after each training session.

If so, well done Simon.  It worked!

If not then there is something else afoot that will eventually come out. 

I could be wrong but there's a wiff of something NQR about at this club of late.

And IF it's player/s related why has there not been some action (if needed) prior to those ganes in order to sort it!?

IF it's at a higher level then that also needs sorting, and fast.

Let it fester and there's a good chance we end up finishing 13th or worse after looking like a potential top four contender just two weeks ago.

That's a potential drop of 9 places (or worse) in half a season with most players available prior to Tracc going out.

Let that sink in for a bit.

• Clap 2
  • Facepalm 1

Too many on here have lost sight of the point. So fixated on how much they’d love to have seen Maynard flattened and being denied such, that they can’t/won’t consider any other perspective.

Especially @Roost it far when asked if Gussy had requested no retaliation should his request be ignored, answered “Absolutely.” Really??? 

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, picket fence said:

Fair enough WCW but my intel is that there is something NQR at the Club, which has brought about this situation. Dont know what, but have a few hunches!

LOL “hunches”

I seriously am wondering what some think AFL footy is about.

It's actually a highly competitive, COMBATIVE, phyical game played withfurious intent.  What it is NOT , is a Sunday afternoon Social with Tea and Scones.    There's nothing wrong with having a Devonshire with your  'bestie' from anothr club .What you do out of hours is fine...couldn't give a rats but come time you don the Jumper and cross that line and you're playing for the club  then it has to be a no holds barred full on encounter .

You're not out there to make friends.. Do that in your own bloody time please.

I can only wonder what the likes of Grinter, Biffin, Ditterich,  Whelan would have made of that !!  ( to only mention a few)

Ol' Ronald Dale would be livid I should think... A very fair player....but by golly he wouldn't have stood for that rubbish...as he was indoctrinated that your "Melbourne First"  as you ought to be.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

2 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Too many on here have lost sight of the point. So fixated on how much they’d love to have seen Maynard flattened and being denied such, that they can’t/won’t consider any other perspective.

Especially @Roost it far when asked if Gussy had requested no retaliation should his request be ignored, answered “Absolutely.” Really??? 

again...is he coaching ??

it's not about retaliation....get that out of your head please...   It's about playing the game...hard. ( fair) ..but hard. It's not a place to be doing anything other..   Sadly we do.

7 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

again...is he coaching ??

it's not about retaliation....get that out of your head please...   It's about playing the game...hard. ( fair) ..but hard. It's not a place to be doing anything other..   Sadly we do.

It IS about retaliation. It IS about Gus. You’ve lost sight of this. Isn’t this what everyone is up in arms about, that nobody ‘flew the flag’ for Gus as a payback for what Maynard did to him?

This conversation has morphed into one about going in hard, roughing up the oppo, pride in the jumper, not being soft as butter and on and on. That’s a whole different conversation.

edit: I still can’t believe people are saying it would be fine to go against Gussy’s wishes. For mine, it beggars belief. And it’s further proof that the point’s been lost. 

Edited by WalkingCivilWar
  • Like 3

Just now, WalkingCivilWar said:

It IS about retaliation. It IS about Gus. You’ve lost sight of this. Isn’t this what everyone is up in arms about, that nobody ‘flew the flag’ for Gus as a payback for what Maynard did to him?

This conversation has morphed into one about going in hard, roughing up the oppo, pride in the jumper, not being soft as butter and on and on. That’s a whole different conversation. 

sorry...you are so fixated on a personal situation you cant see the TEAM.

I can fully appreciate the position Gus is in. What he loves , he can not do any more.  I could imagine he doesn't want others to 'retaliate' as you would have it. I get it.. But I'm going to throw the counter view at you that that might be seen as toatally selfish. How so. He's not out there, so let those that are get on with it. Why should they have anyrestraints physically or mentally put upon them ??  

Flying the flag means  standing your ground, both for yourself and your fellow team mate. It means holding the honour of being able to represent your club as all but sacrosanct.

You think these are TWO different conversations and I would suggest you dont understand that they AREN"T and never are.

No one is seriously suggesting going out there and thumping Maynard ( not in this day and age )....but neither should anyone be buddying up to him or anyone of the opposition. 

Yes we're as soft as butter....no one remonstrates.

You don't get it...that's fine....

The game is NOT about Gus...it's about those that are on the field on any given day. Do you not understand that ??

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

1 minute ago, beelzebub said:

sorry...you are so fixated on a personal situation you cant see the TEAM.

I can fully appreciate the position Gus is in. What he loves , he can not do any more.  I could imagine he doesn't want others to 'retaliate' as you would have it. I get it.. But I'm going to throw the counter view at you that that might be seen as toatally selfish. How so. He's not out there, so let those that are get on with it. Why should they have anyrestraints physically or mentally put upon them ??  

Flying the flag means  standing your ground, both for yourself and your fellow team mate. It means holding the honour of being able to represent your club as all but sacrosanct.

You think these are TWO different conversations and I would suggest you dont understand that they AREN"T and never are.

No one is seriously suggesting going out there and thumping Maynard ( not in this day and age )....but neither should anyone be buddying up to him or anyone of the opposition. 

Yes we're as soft as butter....no one remonstrates.

You don't get it...that's fine....

The game is NOT about Gus...it's about those that are on the field on any given day. Do you not understand that ??

Then start a new thread about this in general, one that’s not about Sunday’s match and that’s not about Gus. Then people can choose to discuss it if that’s their wont.

Incidentally, the thought of regarding Gus as ‘totally selfish’…🤯

29 minutes ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Then start a new thread about this in general, one that’s not about Sunday’s match and that’s not about Gus. Then people can choose to discuss it if that’s their wont.

Incidentally, the thought of regarding Gus as ‘totally selfish’…🤯

Last i looked the thread was titled Maynard.

• Clap 1

14 minutes ago, drysdale demon said:

Keep the posts going beezle and you may surpass the 283 posts you put up in the " is Goodwin the right guy' thread.

because I could less what the [censored] you think or say...or don't...  hit me with a facepalm ..    You're good at adding "nothing " 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

39 minutes ago, beelzebub said:

because I could less what the [censored] you think or say...or don't...  hit me with a facepalm ..    You're good at adding "nothing " 

You have to be reminded of the fact you were wrong in that thread.

• Clap 1

2 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Yes absolutely WC.  The club is always bigger than the individual and this mob  needed to be taken on head on Monday including their anti - hero scumbag, win, lose or draw.

Gus was offered a place in the FD but after a week chose to walk away, which is fair.  That's his prerogative and the retirement is obviously still raw.

But at the same time you can't have it both ways and dictate to the playing group 'your preferred outcome' if that is what you are hinting was Gus's request 

Oppo clubs can smell an easy kill and that's what we've served up and presented to all and sundry since Rnd 10.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Billy said:

By who??

McVee, Windsor, Billings, Langdon, Laurie, Bowey, Rivers, Fritsch, Petty, these guys couldn’t hurt a fly.

Salem, Petracca, Gawn, Oliver, TMac, Nibbles,Sparrow, honest hard at the ball players with no mongrel

Viney & Kozzie would have a crack but are midgets 

So that leaves May &  a 20yo JVR

Not a lot of physicality there I’m afraid 

Hope you’re feeling ok after your WhatsApp backlash precious 

Tholstrup, McAdam/Sestan, AMW should’ve all been picked ahead of Laurie, Billings, Howes and a focus in the offseason has to be finding a couple of mongrels. We miss Vanders, he set the tone.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, The end is nigh said:

Um nup, I am the polar opposite of this view, re Maynard, we should have really worked him over with words and deeds. I could not give a continental about any of this low lifes issues. We needed to put the line in the sand..AND we didn't

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

3 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

LOL “hunches”

There is a bit more to it, but I'll leave it at that!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

I’ve not been singled out before….very exciting! It’s not about just wacking him. It was about taking the heat to him and the rest of them. Do you seriously think Gus said don’t apply any heat to Maynard. Besides it’s no longer up to him. His time is sadly over thanks to a guy who must of laughed out loud at our and May’s response to him. We were pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

On 15/06/2024 at 08:43, picket fence said:

Any motorcycles....