Jump to content

  • Podcast: Grand Final Preview      

  • Podcast: Gary Pert Interview & Grand Final Preview      

NON MFC: Rd 13 2021



Recommended Posts


Fat lady singing for the Cats.

 

Port defence and half backs very ordinary.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Geelong have a scary forwardline and can move the ball precisely by foot. But Port put no pressure on them. Their defensive efforts and poor kicking and decision making makes me fairly confident Port will do no damage in finals. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Since we beat them Geelong's only lost once and that was to Sydney when they copped a shocking umpiring call late and could/should have won.

They still have 5 games at GMHBA. That gets them to 14 wins before their remaining games (although one of the GMHBA games is next week vs the Dogs). Their away games include North, Fremantle and Carlton, so that's 17 wins.

They're a big threat to us, and for the flag.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, titan_uranus said:

Since we beat them Geelong's only lost once and that was to Sydney when they copped a shocking umpiring call late and could/should have won.

They still have 5 games at GMHBA. That gets them to 14 wins before their remaining games (although one of the GMHBA games is next week vs the Dogs). Their away games include North, Fremantle and Carlton, so that's 17 wins.

They're a big threat to us, and for the flag.

Will they play the Dogs in Victoria next week with no crowds? Seems unlikely. That will help. 
 

The big question mark for me is how their old legs carry deep into a long season. Shorter games helped them last year. I also don’t think their rucks or midfield is as strong as ours. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Will they play the Dogs in Victoria next week with no crowds? Seems unlikely. That will help. 
 

The big question mark for me is how their old legs carry deep into a long season. Shorter games helped them last year. I also don’t think their rucks or midfield is as strong as ours. 

In Geelong though - entirely possible given they're in front of Melbourne on the easing of restrictions.

10 players over 30 in that side though, but many of them have missed games this year so they're not going to all be playing a full season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, titan_uranus said:

In Geelong though - entirely possible given they're in front of Melbourne on the easing of restrictions.

10 players over 30 in that side though, but many of them have missed games this year so they're not going to all be playing a full season.

This was their first really hard game since they lost to Sydney. 
Port was ridiculously soft and poor defensively. Would they have won against us today? I don’t think so. Their midfield wasn’t great but it was so easy for them to dominate up forward because Port applied no pressure on the ball carrier and their backline fell apart. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keep the ball off Geelong's interceptors and get them on the outside. Basically play them how they played Port.

Port's defensive system doesn't hold up btw and too many of their players don't hold up under pressure. That is the problem. They rely on too few and moments of brilliance, rather than replicatable system.

Geelong have a very potent forwardline if you let them get out the back all day. That said, there was no Cameron, Rohan or Dangerfield when we played them.

Also, they were already the biggest figjam's in the league, then they went and added Cameron, Smith and Higgins. The most punchable team in the AFL.

And speaking of punchable, see Hawkins try and accidentally whack another bloke tonight? He's a dog.

For the record, Geelong and Richmond are our biggest threats IMO.

Edited by A F
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Jaded said:

This was their first really hard game since they lost to Sydney. 
Port was ridiculously soft and poor defensively. Would they have won against us today? I don’t think so. Their midfield wasn’t great but it was so easy for them to dominate up forward because Port applied no pressure on the ball carrier and their backline fell apart. 

They beat West Coast the week before Sydney by 97 points and the week after Sydney they beat RIchmond by 11 goals on the MCG.

I'm not sure if Geelong would have beat us today, but I know for sure they wouldn't have found it that easy to score in the fourth quarter.

5 minutes ago, A F said:

Keep the ball off Geelong's interceptors and get them on the outside. Basically play them how they played Port.

Port's defensive system doesn't hold up btw and too many of their players don't hold up under pressure. That is the problem. They rely on too few and moments of brilliance, rather than replicatable system.

Geelong have a very potent forwardline if you let them get out the back all day. That said, there was no Cameron, Rohan or Dangerfield when we played them.

Also, they were already the biggest figjam's in the league, then they went and added Cameron, Smith and Higgins. The most punchable team in the AFL.

And speaking of punchable, see Hawkins try and accidentally whack another bloke tonight? He's a dog.

For the record, Geelong and Richmond are our biggest threats IMO.

Yeah Hawkins is a repeat offender.

I'd say Geelong, Richmond and Brisbane. I don't know if Port can match the best teams (they're 1-4 against top 8 sides). Jury's out on the Dogs IMO. 

But IMO Geelong is the main threat. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

They beat West Coast the week before Sydney by 97 points and the week after Sydney they beat RIchmond by 11 goals on the MCG.

I'm not sure if Geelong would have beat us today, but I know for sure they wouldn't have found it that easy to score in the fourth quarter.

Yeah Hawkins is a repeat offender.

I'd say Geelong, Richmond and Brisbane. I don't know if Port can match the best teams (they're 1-4 against top 8 sides). Jury's out on the Dogs IMO. 

But IMO Geelong is the main threat. 

Yep, agreed, given they'll get the double chance and Richmond won't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dazzledavey36 said:

Ports defence brings me chills of 2017 when clubs would just sling shot out the back with not a Melbourne defender in sight.

And 2018 tbh. They were so high in that last quarter and very little two way running.

It's a real pity Port didn't win tonight. Not only would it have put the more threatening Geelong on the back foot, it would mean our game against them wouldn't be even bigger (ie to get the monkey off the back).

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, A F said:

Yep, agreed, given they'll get the double chance and Richmond won't.

Richmond are a massive threat even from 8th. Geelong on their sheer experience alone are a scary finals proposition. Brisbane can also do serious damage and are very well balanced all over the ground. 
I don’t rate the Dogs or Port because they are poor defensively and don’t know what to do when the game is not played on their terms. Both will make finals and both will probably win a few but they won’t make the grand final. Port especially if they don’t get a home final. 
West Coast and Sydney making up numbers. 

Richmond scare me more than anyone although I think our midfield and rucks are superior to both them and Geelong. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    THE ICING ON THE QUAKE by Whispering Jack

    It’s not Christmas yet but if the Melbourne wins its last game of the 2021 season, then many of its fans will be celebrating early. There already are some parts of our town where the pending festivity is preordained. Houses are decked out with red and blue banners and streamers, some of which appeared as early as last Saturday week, on the morning after the Demons’ magnificent 83-point crushing of Geelong in their preliminary final at Optus Stadium. While it’s great to see the numbers of lo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CAT SKINNING by George On The Outer

    When they defeated the Geelong Cats in the 2021 AFL Preliminary Final on Friday night in Perth, Melbourne proved that there is more than one way to skin those cats.  They did it in the ruck and in the middle, they did it in the forward line, they did it in defence and around the ground, but importantly, each and every player a Demon guernsey spent his night at Optus Stadium skinning an opponent. Following the after-the-siren win against Geelong in Round 23, there was an expectation of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE POINTY END by The Oracle

    The AFL’s two oldest clubs, Melbourne and Geelong, face off on Friday evening in a sudden death Preliminary Final. It’s a game that promises plenty in terms of fascination and intrigue as a result of the rivalry that’s been building between the teams over recent encounters that have been tight struggles which have gone to the wire with two of them decided by after-the-siren goals. The added touch of mystery attached to this week’s meeting comes by virtue of the fact that it’s going to take

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE VFL YEAR THAT NEVER WAS by KC from Casey

    The rising case numbers and the continuing lockdowns in Victoria and NSW spelled doom for the 2021 VFL season which went through a slow, painful demise before its recent official cancellation. After weeks of indecision, the AFL decided to pull the plug on the season with the 10-0 Bulldogs recognised as minor premier, but without a premiership cup and without awarding the J.J. Liston Medal for the best and fairest VFL player. It was somewhat fortuitous for the integrity of the competition t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TAMING THE LIONS by George On The Outer

    With nine finals debutants in the side, the Melbourne Football Club had a daunting assignment ahead of it in the First Qualifying Final — to overcome the competition’s highest scoring side, the Brisbane Lions. In the end, the Demons accomplished the task by putting the bite on their opponents on their way to taming the Lions and recording a 33 point win that propelled them into one the two Preliminary Finals of 2021.   It was one of those debutants, Luke Jackson, who put the bite in more

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    RETURN TO NEVERLAND by Whispering Jack

    The greatest Demon A HIGHWAY OF DEMONS by Whispering Jack CHAPTER SIXTEEN - RETURN TO NEVERLAND  I have a six year old grandson who recently took up the family tradition of following the Demons. He had his first taste of the game a few years ago when he went to the “G” with his parents to watch the 107-point massacre of Carlton and he went to another game in the following season which was also a W for the Dees. But his appetite for the club has grown exponentially this year and wh

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 13

    METAMORPHOSIS by Whispering Jack

    I’ve always believed that when the home and away matches come to an end, the football season takes on a completely different shape and character. During the regular season, each team’s goals progress as the weeks pass and if you’re good enough to survive and make the grade, the situation changes. The comparison can be made with the life cycle of a butterfly going through stages from egg to larva to caterpillar, cocoon and in the end to a bright and colourful creature that emerges from darkness i

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STEALING THE CATS’ CREAM by George On The Outer

    They were leading by 44 points well into the third quarter of a game to decide the minor premier, having kicked nine unanswered goals. The Cats were about to lap up their bowl of cream, dreaming of next week but the Demons led by Max Gawn had other ideas. In a stunning finish, they stole the game from under them to claim the plaudits as best team and top of ladder position. In a remarkable game, it all came down to Max having to kick the winning goal after the final siren, something which s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SKIN THE CATS by Whispering Jack

    The task ahead for the Demons as they wend their way down the Princes Freeway to Geelong on Saturday night will be to skin the Cats. For them to come away with the points from this game would mark an historic occasion for the club as it will finish on top of the ladder for the first time since its last premiership year, 1964. And it was in that year, that a trip to Corio Bay to meet the reigning premiers in Round 12, was one of the catalysts for Melbourne’s surge to the flag. It was a top o

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    REACH FOR THE STARS by George on the Outer

    It was a game of great significance for the Melbourne Football Club. A win would see them keep top spot on the ladder with one round remaining. To achieve top place in the Round for Reach when we are all inspired to “Be Like Jim” and reach for the stars was a great way of honouring one of our heroes. All the better given that it was done by way of an emphatic 41 point win against Adelaide! It is worth remembering that, but for the umpiring mistake in the previous encounter with the Crows, t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TICKETS PLEASE by The Oracle

    A lot of water has passed under Princes Bridge in the five years since Melbourne last met Adelaide on the MCG. The Crows were riding high at the time while the Demons were mid-table and scrambling for a win to stay in the race for the finals. The 30,000 fans who had tickets to the game were thoroughly entertained by a close, high scoring affair that ended in tears for fans of the home team. Not even an eight-goal second term could help them.   Times have changed.    In the fi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    ELECTRIFYING by George On The Outer

    What more can they throw at the Demons of 2021? Covid restrictions, hubs, aircraft circling between airports before landing for games and now a match stopped for 30 minutes to give a flagging opponent its second wind? To date, none of those distractions has swayed the team from their winning objectives. The game against West Coast in Perth can be marked on their report card as another positive outcome after yet another test. There was much at stake for both sides.  Melbourne had t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...