Coaching Styles Negative v Postitive

Its Time for Another

Hinkley has a reputation for concentrating on players strengths rather than their weaknesses.

Interesting that both Watts and now Trengove have mentioned this after their initial meetings with Hinkley even though he was told he's not in the best 22.

Trengove said in the HeraldSun :-

“He (Hinkley) really does focus on what you can bring to the team as opposed to the inefficiencies and things you need to improve on,” Trengove said.

“As a player that has been around for a few years now, it is great to hear what you can do again as opposed to the negative parts to your game. It just gives you that instant confidence.

The way both Trengove and Watts have commented on this suggests they both think this is an issue at MFC. Maybe its time for a bit of reflection in the FD about coaching styles. McCartney while being regarded as probably the best development coach in the comp was also regarded as being so negative at the Bulldogs that he lost the players and was turfed. From what I've read the players love Goodwin but I wonder if a bit of an adjustment is needed. There was an article this week about how Buckley has moderated his behaviour. I assume off the back of the FD review that took place there. . 

24 minutes ago, It's Time said:

The way both Trengove and Watts have commented on this suggests they both think this is an issue at MFC.

I think you are reading way too much into a puff piece.

They're pumping up their new boss, it's what you do when you move clubs.

How long is it until the first game....please.

• Like 1

Well, if they are precious enough that being told what they need to improve on to get a game as professional footballers was too much for them to handle, perhaps we are better off without the both of them.

Although I think the more likely scenario is that this means absolutely nothing and we are simply short of things to talk about around here currently.

• Like 2

I suppose it's what we already discerned.

The fact that Hinkley recruited both Watts and Trengove suggested he was looking at the positives rather than the deficiencies. 

Clearly Melbourne and all the other clubs looked at the deficiencies. 

Trengove's comments confirm the differences in coaching philosophy between Hinkley and the others.

Taking a positive but realistic approach is more likely to build a players confidence to take on the game. 

In my modest sporting career, I experienced both coaching approaches and there was no doubt that the positive approach was far more effective for both the individual and the team in regard to both training and competition. 

We will see what happens in 2018. It will be interesting to see if the Hinkley approach translates into better outcomes for both players.  

• Like 2

I think that part of this comes down to the fact that if you are at a club for a while, you start off looking at all areas of your game, both the negative and positive. I suspect that over time your positive attributes are known and you work to maintain what probably you are good and gifted at.... but over time coaching staff would be focusing on your improvement in deficiencies and that might become a focus..

Go to a new club and they will be selling things to you, they would be commenting on what they want out of you, what they perceive your strengths are and how you will make their team better. It's that pump up that you need.

Trengove didn't get picked for about 40 of the last 44 weeks. And when he did he wasn't up to it.

telling him he's good without picking him would've been gross hypocrisy.

with a fresh start he can be pumped up. 

I actually like the way Port are giving out fresh starts instead of keeping their own depth players. It lets you bring positivity to the group. 

But due to list churn we don't have a lot of long term depth players so we might not need that. New year new start, but no point lying to guys who you don't pick all year 

4 hours ago, Ouch! said:

I think that part of this comes down to the fact that if you are at a club for a while, you start off looking at all areas of your game, both the negative and positive. I suspect that over time your positive attributes are known and you work to maintain what probably you are good and gifted at.... but over time coaching staff would be focusing on your improvement in deficiencies and that might become a focus..

Go to a new club and they will be selling things to you, they would be commenting on what they want out of you, what they perceive your strengths are and how you will make their team better. It's that pump up that you need.

You make a good point. When you think about it of course the coaches are going to talk positively when you first come because you haven't done anything that has to be fixed at that point. I wonder how positive the feedback will be when Hinkley has to address the deficiencies particularly in JW's case that have been there all the way.