The Incredible Hulk - Jesse Hogan

McQueen

15 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

Doesn't sound like a long-term contract to me.

If we're offering him $700K we're lunatics. Don't turn around and [censored] when his manager puts talks off for the season.

Agreed Saber.  The HS are guessing and using old info to fluff out a story. 

We started discussions with him 5 months ago so no new news on that one.  Then everyone decided to wait a while...Jesse had seemed gung-ho but his manager tempered things which was the right thing to do by Jesse. 

The $700K, who knows where they plucked that from!   Not much incentive to sign a long-term deal for someone who is already getting $500K!!!

The HS have no idea what is happening at mfc!! 

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

12 minutes ago, SaberFang said:

Doesn't sound like a long-term contract to me.

If we're offering him $700K we're lunatics. Don't turn around and [censored] when his manager puts talks off for the season.

The only thing I take out of this is they are talking  - all the rest is media speculation and conjecture.

As most have said - I don't believe money will be a sticking point. If his management wants to talk with a view to him staying in Melbourne I think the only real negotiation point will be the length of the contract - we would probably want a 500 year contract with a 300 year option ( and options on kids/grandkids/great grandkids)  and he may want a little shorter time

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

From Stevens, "Jess Hogan had strongly indicated he didn't want to talk contracts through 2016".

I don't believe that's ever been the case.  

Hogan has never said I'm putting contract talks off until the end of 2016.  In fact, I heard representatives from his management company say there'd be dialogue over summer.  Then there was subsequent talk that they were in no hurry to enter a contract, which is different to Stevens' statement above.

Hogan's manger Matt Bain was quoted in October last year saying, “The club’s had a lot of changes over the last three years but they’re starting to get a lot of consistency through the staff,” Bain told Trade Radio.  “He’s obviously open to (a long-term deal). I guess for him it’s seeing the long-term future of the club.”

“He’s still got two years left on his contract so it’s not something we have to do overnight,” Bain stressed.  “He loves it in Melbourne, if he was to be delisted tomorrow he’d stay here.”

So, there was never any "strong indication he didn't want to talk contracts through 2016", as Stevens asserts.  Journalists need to report accurately, but I find they often don't.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JTR said:

I managed to get it up and read in full somehow. Cant now...  :/

Story was mainly about Frost moving forward, but there was a couple of paragraphs at the end that said what Redleg mentioned earlier.

Quotes I remember...

- Hogan and his manager in preliminary discussions

- Would be looking at $700,000+ per season which would make him one of highest paid players for his age in the game.

Plus 1000 a goal haha!! Incentives!!

17 minutes ago, ProDee said:

So, there was never any "strong indication he didn't want to talk contracts through 2016", as Stevens asserts.  Journalists need to report accurately, but I find they often don't.  

Not wanting to be pedantic - that should read "journalists need to report accurately, but I find they never do".

Like the HS, Stevens has embellished what happened.

Jesse was gung-ho at the time he won RS (Oct) and sounded genuine but probably had a bit of post RS euphoria about it.  Then his manager slowed things down as ProDee has described. 

Since last Oct, Jesse et al have seen some great drafting, what life will be like with Gooding as coach, a new sponsor come on board, etc.  These are all things that give him and his management have greater confidence about the club an its future.

Jesse may well sign over the off-season :wub: but I'm relaxed if he doesn't as I have no doubt the club is doing everything possible on and off the field for him to want to extend his contract.  The club can do no more.  Quietly, I reckon Jesse will extend long term

My Bigpond homepage opened this morning with its usual jumble of news items, including one on the AFL thinking about fiddling with round 23. Of little relevance here (or anywhere else probably) except that the photo for the item link (and for the article itself) is of Jesse. So he's the 'face of the AFL' already?

The article itself is at: http://www.sportsfan.com.au/afl-to-experiment-in-pre-finals-bye/tabid/91/newsid/188955/default.aspx?ref=BP_RSS_sportsfan_9_-afl-to-experiment-in-pre-finals-bye_190216

Dare we hope? http://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/afl/hogan-all-class-as-dees-reach-for-chequebook/news-story/4bfb8723db382eca3b357bc2c6e693b8

Denham says:  "Family members have confirmed to The Weekend Australian that Hogan has no intention of returning home to Western Australia in the near future which appears certain to lead to a new deal with the Demons".

Denham has for a long time treated mfc with great contempt so I am no fan of his.  He sinks the boots in every chance he gets.  But he is from WA and still has good contacts over there so I am inclined to believe him on this one!!

Fingers crossed!

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

A few journos have reported this week that contract talks are up and running. (Really, they started last Oct and never really stooped)  Either they are all jumping on the bandwagon or something is afoot.

Just in case people can't get behind the paywall of the Denham article in the last post, here is some dialogue from Roos this week, who plays it with his usual straight bat:  

Earlier in the week Roos said Hogan’s tenure at Melbourne could depend on factors outside the control of the club, but said the Demons remained comfortable with their position and the future on offer for their younger players.

One example Melbourne used this week was their beefed-up development program, including a massive increase in staff, something that had been largely overlooked before chief executive Peter Jackson secured Roos in his first year in the job.

“We have delivered on things we have talked about,” Roos told the AFL website. “The next phase is probably for Jesse to feel part of this resurgence.

“It is up to Jesse to believe (success will come) but also be comfortable in Victoria and Melbourne and with his friends and things like that, so some things we can control, some things we can’t.”

Following a briefing with Melbourne late last year, Hogan said he was satisfied with the direction of the club, now in the final year of a coaching succession plan that will lead to Simon Goodwin taking over at the end of the season.

The talk back at the time of the RS award was that Hogan would re-sign over the summer.  His manager hosed it down which was fair enough.  Could it be that talks have started in earnest and he will sign before the season starts?  But as Roos said it is all up to Jesse.

All looks very promising but with remnants of MFCSS still looming large in me I shall wait till we have his signature before getting too excited.:cool:

• Like 3

His manager has also stated, multiple times that if Jesse were to be delisted, he'd stay in Melbourne.

and Jesse is an extremely loyal dude who fully understands the investement and faith the club has shown him

only small thing I have heard that worries me is that the extension might not be for as long as some are hoping.

• Like 1

Just now, Peter Griffen said:

His manager has also stated, multiple times that if Jesse were to be delisted, he'd stay in Melbourne.

and Jesse is an extremely loyal dude who fully understands the investement and faith the club has shown him

only small thing I have heard that worries me is that the extension might not be for as long as some are hoping.

You are right there PG...some people are getting to far ahead.

I feel that any extension is a good one.  He is currently contracted to end 2017.  So a 3 yr extension ends in 2020, 5 year in 2022 etc.

You know, I would be happy for a 3-5 year extension because if we haven't been in a few GF's by 2020 or won one by 2022I wouldn't blame him for going elsewhere. 

Clearly he wants success and he seems prepared to make it happen.  By 2020 or 2022 he will have earnt the right to leave (altho it would be shattering).

LH, i reckon it'll be three years, sounds like Jesse's manager is very conscious of salaries going up and the demand for his client and doesn't want him to miss the boat on more money if he can help it

It's disgusting how desperate reporters seem to be for him to leave, but unfortunately for them i think all roads lead to the top for us.

Have a dockers supporting mate who even said they don't think Jesse will be leaving Melbourne any time soon, Dockers are far more concerned with luring Macarthey and Hooker at the end of this year

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clint Bizkit said:

The media so badly want Hogan to leave.

I think there's a lot in the Media who don't want Melbourne to be success :rolleyes:

They may barrack for other teams ;)

Hogan is just one aspect of this niggle imho

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ProDee said:

Isn't it really only that @#%_ Dwayne Russell that is desperate for him to leave ?

I stand to be corrected.

He does because he's a phlog, but in terms of generating news I would say a lot of media want to him to leave.

Plus, because he would be leaving Melbourne and we are a soft target so the story would write itself.

Edited by Clint Bizkit
  • Like 1

i think the majority of commentators are happy to have a team to pick on, and melbourne has been an easy target for a decade, hence why they continue to speculate on hogan potentially returning to wa.

another element that might be in our favour is that the peptides' cale hooker is a free agent at the end of this year - regardless of whether or not he wants his contract voided, as has been speculated amongst their playing list - and freo are into him big time.

some reports this week had him getting the same sort of $$ as jesse. even with forthcoming retirements i doubt that freo could afford hooker, mccarthy and hogan.

of course, in saying that, every club in the competition will likely open the chequebook up for our #1. can't wait to see what he can do in his second year.

Edited by DemonAndrew

2 hours ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

I feel that any extension is a good one.  He is currently contracted to end 2017.  So a 3 yr extension ends in 2020, 5 year in 2022 etc.

You know, I would be happy for a 3-5 year extension because if we haven't been in a few GF's by 2020 or won one by 2022I wouldn't blame him for going elsewhere. 

A 3 year contract extension rather than longer could be based on the salary cap potentially opening up in future which could allow us to pay him more later under a new deal.