The mighty Dees, will be Mighty once again.

DeeVoted

A lot of water and I mean a LOT of water has flowed under the bridge at jolimont since '64. Every month, day, year doesn't go past when I think today is the day when I start to believe we are on our way. Every time I walk away disappointed. What did happen to those once Mighty "Dees'?

Well for starters they retired, some have already fallen off the perch. Then I realise the pride of the jumper has been dragged through the dirt for way too long. The saviours have come and gone. My childhood heroes are now but a mere distant memory. Going to the "G' packed with a sea of red and blue, listening to the roar of our loyal passionate crowd, the hairs of the back of my neck would stand up, when the roar rocked the "G". The cheer squad in full voice, rivalling any opposition's cheer squad.

It was something to be proud of, even if we didnt win, I could leave knowing the boys had given it their all, the supporters had yelled themselves hoarse urging the team.

We are a proud club, we hate to lose, for so many years, losing wasn't part of our culture. We took a loss on the chin, and bid the opposition a friendly goodbye, but deep down the hurt of losing was eating away inside. (laugh now you bastards), wait until next we meet. We were gracious when we mauled another team, yeah we could rub it in with the best of them, but the norm was to be humble and say 'better luck next time". When really we meant, wait unti the next time, we will slaughter you worse that what you got today. Some of us grew up being used to winning, and being successful. That's why we were the "Mighty Demons". Proud, successful and ruthless.

The bolts on the wheels needed to be replaced, by the time anyone stopped to check, a wheel fell off, then another, before we knew what or where we were, the bandwagon was in disarray.We had been far too content for far too long, just coasting along basking in the glory.Then it was left for far too few, to do way too much.

Our younger supporters were, and are from strong passionate Demon families, they hear all the stories of days long gone. Some blackmailed, some followed in vain hope seeing and hearing the passion in the voice of their old man, and were sold up the river. Next year son, next year, wait and see, we will do better next year.

The old man in some cases may no longer be with us, the sons and daughters now have their own familes. The tradition continues, they pass on the stories of our past heroes. Next year will be better, just wait, you'll see. Now some of the new generation know nothing but being laughed at school, and or at work. For some it was just too much, they jumped ship, or denied they even liked football. Some start to question were all those stories that had been passed on, just a myth? were they making it all up? Did we realy have the MCG to ourselves? They say its our home ground, but why do other teams play as many games as we do? Was it once filled in red and blue? Did we really have more at a game and most other teams? Still some refuse to sway, their parent's parents were passionate Dee supporters

Every year their hopes are up with every highly prized recruit. Every time, their hopes take another 'hit' as the new found star fails to make any impression. You know its hit rock bottom, when your loyal pet dog, chews up his Demon scarf, then growls, threathening to chew of your arm if you get within a cooeee of it.Surely the dog hasnt turned?, what about throwing the stick in the park? Feed on time, every night, without fail.Ok, maybe seeing me about to kick in the TV, or paying out on nextdoors cat is having a profound impression of my once docile rockweiler (rockie)."It's ok boy. its me, the Dees are on the improve. Once again, greeted with a snarl.

Here we are once again, another new draft. Some more talent added to the list, some delisted to make room for the future champs of the club.The dog seems a little more upbeat, as we throw the ball. me kicking the ball, still trying to be Robbie Flower,to a leading Hoges, and nail a pinpoint pass to 'rockie' but instead of the ball sailing through the goals for his 7th goal. I only see it disappear into the distance, dog slobber all over it. Then call him back, and we head off home.

I reassure him, the Mighty Dees will be mighty once again. He gives me a lick and we walk off, can't wait for the new season to begin. His new xmas present is a new MFC scarf. We love this time of the year. Full of hope, and promises to be our best for a long time.The prized photo of the old man with the great Norm Smith hangs proudly. I stop and stare, then refelct back. I think to myself we WILL be the "Mighty Dees" once again. I have witnessed success at the top, now its time for all those that haven't to be able to share that feeling. Your kids going to school, prouding wearing a red and blue jumper, not a peep from anyone, for they know the Dees are the Mighty Demons.

Edited by DeeVoted
  • Like 4

Well written,that confirms my stance that we will be in 8th spot after the H@A this year.

ive got 9th...but wouldnt be upset !!

ive got 9th...but wouldnt be upset !!

I too had us 9th,until asada stepped in and awarded extra points to us.

I too had us 9th,until asada stepped in and awarded extra points to us.

17th is our spot, but we could go as high as 15th depending on what happens to the Drug Cheats.

Nicely written DeeVoted.

As you mention, this time of year is full of optimism. Unfortunately it's not just us feeling optimistic, but the other 17 teams also.

But wouldn't it be awesome to be feared and admired as a team once again.

• Like 1