Lets not change the Banner until after New Years, or better, after Our 1st Home Game with Arm Bands for Tulip?

dee-luded

I think there should be an appropriate time allowed for respect and mourning. A couple of months banner tribute would be best. But no sense to keep on reflecting on the past for too long. If so, it would be logical for the best of the golden years players to be there. That was when we actually won flags. I would prefer to keep looking towards the future.

Edited by america de cali

Lets not change the Banner until after New Years Eve, out of Honor for our Tulip ?

Can someone make & sell colored Arm Bands for our 1st Home game, at the ground or from H/Q after the new years 2015... in some appropriate colours or patterns that we can all buy & wear into the ground In Honour of Our favourite son.

ArM Bands

Head Bands

Tulip 'T's shirts

proceeds split 50/50 between Robbies foundation, & Our Clubs Warchest ???

Great idea dee-luded, I hope the club get onto it.

As much as i love Bobby on the banner, he looks a bit folorn by himself, like he's looking behind him to see where the support is! ...where the f did everyone go type thing.

well he didn't get any silverware, even missing the night grand final premiership.

lets surround him on the banner with our cups. till Rnd 1

I think there should be an appropriate time allowed for respect and mourning. A couple of months banner tribute would be best. But no sense to keep on reflecting on the past for too long. If so, it would be logical for the best of the golden years players to be there. That was when we actually won flags. I would prefer to keep looking towards the future.

after the mourning period, I would like to see Our legends & our recent lost champs up on the Banner going forward, maybe with a centre shot of a 'player of the week' on merit.

the banner should consist of Norm Smith, Ron Barassi, Robbie Flower, Garry Lyon, Jim Stynes, David Neitz and Nathan Jones

Sorry mate I disagree. I believe there needs to be a balance between the rich past that should not be forgotten vs. the present and future which should be our primary focus, neither should be lob sided.

I think the banner should be split, one side - the left, containing a small few of our true greats who's reputations proceed them, even outside of the MFC. For me these greats were not only excellent players or coaches but just as importantly loyal

These would include:

Norm Smith: Famous for both playing and coaching us to a number of premierships and when unfortunately laid-off famously quoted "I am Melbourne" when asked if he would consider coaching Richmond.

Robbie Flower: Loved by all not only for his game during a dismal era of the MFC but his personality and compassion to his fellow man. He could have went else where for success but he too was Mebourne through and through. He too stood up again a few years ago when big Jim Stynes needed a hand getting this club out of the abyss it was in.

Jim Stynes: Despite all odds he continued to stand up and deny them, he was part of an experiment likely to fail. While playing he constantly defied his injuries, he holds the record for the most ever successive games and earned himself a Brownlow. Off field he was larger than life, a well respected member in the community for his work but again stepped up when he saw Melbourne in need. He became gravely ill and yet still defied the odds in support of the club and for all those had had supported him. If it wasn't for Jim we may not be on this forum still supporting this club, they may have folded.

So for me it's those three, it's not only for there incredible playing careers but more importantly what they did or said after it, for me "they are Melbourne" and I just don't see the likes of Barassi (arguable for some), Lyon or Neitz in the same light. Barassi left the Dees for a lucrative playing/ coaching contract at the Blues, he was also grossly paid (persuaded) to coach us in later years - I still think my Nana has never forgiven him for leaving in the early 60's. Lyon would be a definite no, yes he was a fantastic player but in recent years he really needed his arm twisted to stand up to come and help the club, I would rather see Todd Viney on there ahead of him who too stood up alongside Robbie and Jim without question. Then there's Neitz who also had a phenomenal career and a ripping bloke but I just don't rate him in the same league as Flower and Stynes, having him would be focusing too much on the past.

Now to the other side of the banner - the right. As done this year which I enjoyed as we predominately had the leadership group and those players that appear to be our future. Currently it is those players that can bring us another premiership, it is those that can write us more history and it is those that should be up there.

Very happy that my comment got the great man up on the banner and everyday I come on demonland for a read I feel proud to be a demon member when I see the great robbie flower up on the banner. I have never met such a humble champion like tulip. Will miss talking to the great man at the games next year. When I saw robbie at games he always had time to stop and chat. What a champ and gentlemen

• Like 2

As much as i love Bobby on the banner, he looks a bit folorn by himself, like he's looking behind him to see where the support is! ...where the f did everyone go type thing.

You pretty well summed up what was actually going through his mind during his playing days and probably every year since....

Edited by nutbean

agree ... keep Robbie on Demonland banner until post round 1

then it should be legends such as Robbie, Norm Smith, Ron Barassi, David Neitz, Stuart Spencer , Garry Lyon and Troy Broadbridge (courage).

Frank "Bluey" Adams

Sorry mate I disagree. I believe there needs to be a balance between the rich past that should not be forgotten vs. the present and future which should be our primary focus, neither should be lob sided.

I think the banner should be split, one side - the left, containing a small few of our true greats who's reputations proceed them, even outside of the MFC. For me these greats were not only excellent players or coaches but just as importantly loyal

These would include:

Norm Smith: Famous for both playing and coaching us to a number of premierships and when unfortunately laid-off famously quoted "I am Melbourne" when asked if he would consider coaching Richmond.

Robbie Flower: Loved by all not only for his game during a dismal era of the MFC but his personality and compassion to his fellow man. He could have went else where for success but he too was Mebourne through and through. He too stood up again a few years ago when big Jim Stynes needed a hand getting this club out of the abyss it was in.

Jim Stynes: Despite all odds he continued to stand up and deny them, he was part of an experiment likely to fail. While playing he constantly defied his injuries, he holds the record for the most ever successive games and earned himself a Brownlow. Off field he was larger than life, a well respected member in the community for his work but again stepped up when he saw Melbourne in need. He became gravely ill and yet still defied the odds in support of the club and for all those had had supported him. If it wasn't for Jim we may not be on this forum still supporting this club, they may have folded.

So for me it's those three, it's not only for there incredible playing careers but more importantly what they did or said after it, for me "they are Melbourne" and I just don't see the likes of Barassi (arguable for some), Lyon or Neitz in the same light. Barassi left the Dees for a lucrative playing/ coaching contract at the Blues, he was also grossly paid (persuaded) to coach us in later years - I still think my Nana has never forgiven him for leaving in the early 60's. Lyon would be a definite no, yes he was a fantastic player but in recent years he really needed his arm twisted to stand up to come and help the club, I would rather see Todd Viney on there ahead of him who too stood up alongside Robbie and Jim without question. Then there's Neitz who also had a phenomenal career and a ripping bloke but I just don't rate him in the same league as Flower and Stynes, having him would be focusing too much on the past.

Now to the other side of the banner - the right. As done this year which I enjoyed as we predominately had the leadership group and those players that appear to be our future. Currently it is those players that can bring us another premiership, it is those that can write us more history and it is those that should be up there.

I do not understand why 'Checker' continually misses the boat when he created 'the Demons'. he built us. & Caldwell?