Melbourne should offer Patrick Dangerfield a $10 million contract

DemonOX

Not the priority at the moment. You can throw big money at a star to top up a potential premiership team where there is a gap. Wait until we are challenging for top 4, then throw some big bucks at a key position player.

I'd rather offer Hogan some good money to sign for 5 years,

If we keep improving by the end of next year we could be an attractive prospect anyway

• Like 4

No. we shouldn't.

It's not what we are about these days. 18 blokes with a role. 3 blokes to fill any gaps. One bloke looking [censored] off he is wearing the green.

No tem million dollar men no matter how good they are.

I think going down the buddy model, would be the worst thing we could do. (Tilbrook revisited)

the way we traded last year was perfect, & the year before, with trading our pick for Hogan, excellent.

no M$10,000,000.00 man for us.

dr-evil-300x155.jpg

• Like 3

It's a tough one, because whilst I agree with the sentiment that we should have 22 role players, how about 21 role players and a bloke that can turn a game on its head? I'd be careful with how much we offer and the length of contract, but I'd be happy to offer a four or five year deal at $800k. I wouldn't think that'd be enough to lure Dangerfield away anyway, despite him saying it's not about money.

I can't imagine Roosy going for it though, because how can you sell a message of togetherness and role players, but at the same time pay one bloke far more than any other player on the list? It's not his style. But I wonder what he paid Barry Hall...

Hall was already there before Roos took over. Would he have sought Hall ?

Ah, my mistake. Thought he'd brought Hall in.

Hall started at Swannies in 02...Roos took over in ...yep 2002 :)

Does make for an interesting what if though

• Like 1

It's a tough one, because whilst I agree with the sentiment that we should have 22 role players, how about 21 role players and a bloke that can turn a game on its head? I'd be careful with how much we offer and the length of contract, but I'd be happy to offer a four or five year deal at $800k. I wouldn't think that'd be enough to lure Dangerfield away anyway, despite him saying it's not about money.

I can't imagine Roosy going for it though, because how can you sell a message of togetherness and role players, but at the same time pay one bloke far more than any other player on the list? It's not his style. But I wonder what he paid Barry Hall...

we will have a star in our future, that will arrive from our own. aren't we lucky we didn't end up with Judd, when it was a the AFL's footy assistance & a bloke named Roos that we needed all along.

a bit of footy nouse isn't wrapped in suit. it lives in shorts, t-shirts or or trackpants, & does its best work mostly outside.

Yeah. My money'd be on him still trading in a KPF, but not giving them ridiculous contract terms in length or wage (ala Buddy). I could see him grabbing a Dawes though. This off season will be fascinating.

Edited by AdamFarr
  • Like 1

we will have a star in our future, that will arrive from our own. aren't we lucky we didn't end up with Judd, when it was a the AFL's footy assistance & a bloke named Roos that we needed all along.

a bit of footy nouse isn't wrapped in suit. it lives in shorts, t-shirts or or trackpants, & does its best work mostly outside.

I agree to an extent, D. I think if a Judd was 23 or 24 now and he was a chance of coming, we have solid foundations to support such a player and to ensure that his acquisition will pay off. We were run by chumps when Judd was looking to switch. We're not all the way there yet, but we're run professionally now.

Yeah. My money'd be on him still trading in a KPF, but not giving them ridiculous contract terms in length or wage (ala Buddy). I could see him grabbing a Dawes though. This off season will be fascinating.

Definitely... A lot of players got a free pass of sorts this time around as he ( PR) wanted to get his own feel of who they are and what they are capable of. That will be known now ( in the main ) So come this trade/draft we'll see the knives out for a good list trim and some inventive ( again ) trading to get in what we need.

Paul Roos IS the money ball king, just doesnt advertise it :)

• Like 2

Not the right path for us and not the way Roos works. It must breed resentment as has been shown in the past.

My other concern with rapid accelerators is that their hamstrings are prone to ping and they're never quite the same again.

Too risky in the long term.

• Like 1

Definitely... A lot of players got a free pass of sorts this time around as he ( PR) wanted to get his own feel of who they are and what they are capable of. That will be known now ( in the main ) So come this trade/draft we'll see the knives out for a good list trim and some inventive ( again ) trading to get in what we need.

Paul Roos IS the money ball king, just doesnt advertise it :)

See, that'll be the most fascinating aspect for me. How brutal he is on the list. Does he take to it with knives or does he target two or three specific types (someone of Vince's experience and quality + another Tyson from GWS) and delist 5 or so?

Edited by AdamFarr

I wonder what Demonlanders would think of going after a Dangerfield type at the end of 2015 or 2016. We're still a few years off being capable of challenging, so at the moment it becomes about perhaps a conservative approach. Build the culture and work out what we have on the list already. But in one or two off seasons, we'll know exactly what we still lack. I wonder what attitudes would be at that point.

Edited by AdamFarr

See, that'll be the most fascinating aspect for me. How brutal he is on the list? Does he take to it with knives or does he target two or three specific types (someone of Vince's experience and quality + another Tyson from GWS) and delist 5 or so?

I think theres probably 5-6 who'll sigh there own warrants in effect. Either theyve shown their limits or incapacity to evolve etc.

Then of course to trade you might need to give X up to get Y. For some they might have the unfortunate timing of contracts work against them

I agree itll be fascinating. For a change its not the ONLY interesting thing happening this year :)

I dont think Roos will be Roos-thless, but hes very no-nonsense all the same

• Like 1

Dangerfield's got some explosive pace about him but Crawford making him out to be the next best thing behind Ablettis rubbish.

For instance, I know for a fact that Jack Grimes can keep up with him.

I agree itll be fascinating. For a change its not the ONLY interesting thing happening this year :)

Spot on, BB. I'm very intrigued/cautiously excited to see how the second half of this season unfolds.

• Like 1

I would have said that 9 year contracts were from a bygone era that never existed (save for Lynch), but Buddy blew that up...

If Dangerfield is earning a million when he is 28 in 2018, he will be well worth it.

Wages are getting higher.

The cap is increasing by $400k a year of late.

The best players are going to get some coin. A million for Dangerfield will be his worth soon enough.

We probably do lack a little bit of class but 8 years is insane, maybe a big front loaded 4 year deal

Yeah. I certainly wouldn't be giving out 8 year deals to anyone. It wouldn't matter if it was G Ablett, who is an absolute genius.