Players to target at the end of the year

Having a third key forward to join Dawes & Hogan would be huge because you'd be able to rotate all three on the interchange and keep energy levels high. It's even more fantastic with the emergence of Pederson, development of JKH and the accuracy of Watts rounding out the three KPFs.

I've watched a bit of Rohan and nothing I've seen has convinced me he's a huge talent.

I'm yet to see him play one dominant or near dominant game; he's got all the kudos in the world on here but there's no evidence he's any good.

He's played 31 games with an average disposal of 8.6 and 2.4 marks and .8 goals a game, I just can't see what the fuss is.

I'm with you, Robbie. Very meh, IMO.

I want Patton, he's an absolute unit, we need another Unit.

Dawes, Hogan and Patton. Wowweee

I wouldn't say no necessarily, but Patton strikes me as a bit of an old world player. The sort that would have been amazing in the '90s. Stick him in the goal square and he'd deliver. But, he's still young and if he learnt off Dawes, well, Dawes is pretty much the perfect player to model his game on.

• Like 2

What do we need going forward, I reckon ( assuming chip stays ) we need one more key forward, another good ruck prospect and some more midfield depth

we should chase

Gorringe

Tommlinson

Rosa

Mackay

targets

A graders: Adam Treloar (giants)or Luke Parker (swans) ... draft pick 3-4

B graders: Ryan Lester (lions) or Garry Rohan (swans) ... draft pick 24-25

C graders: (with huge upside) Sam Grimley (hawks), Jordan Schroeder (cats), Mitch Golby (lions), Luke Thompson (crows) ... draft pick 44-45 OR swap for Strauss/Blease/Tapscott

and Tom Mitchell as a punt.

I'm with you, Robbie. Very meh, IMO.

Yeah agree also on Rohan, struggle to see what the fuss is all about.

Mind as well play Blease, he has shown as much or more

I've watched a bit of Rohan and nothing I've seen has convinced me he's a huge talent.

I'm yet to see him play one dominant or near dominant game; he's got all the kudos in the world on here but there's no evidence he's any good.

He's played 31 games with an average disposal of 8.6 and 2.4 marks and .8 goals a game, I just can't see what the fuss is.

Absolutely spot on robbie. He is grossly overated.

Sam Blease all over again.

• Like 1

Absolutely spot on robbie. He is grossly overated.

Sam Blease all over again.

Ouch. I think Rohan has a few more tools than Blease.

Came into the league with terrific raw potential, but plenty to learn. He didn't have a lot of exposed form but showed a big leap, excellent pace, plenty of energy and really bolted over the course of the championships.

From then till now I can't see whether he's developed significantly, but injuries have knocked him about a fair bit.

• Like 3

Ouch. I think Rohan has a few more tools than Blease.

Came into the league with terrific raw potential, but plenty to learn. He didn't have a lot of exposed form but showed a big leap, excellent pace, plenty of energy and really bolted over the course of the championships.

From then till now I can't see whether he's developed significantly, but injuries have knocked him about a fair bit.

Roos & Stone would know and if they make a play for him then it would be a good move. To me from the outside looking in he has a lot of upside and as you say a few more tools than Blease.

to be honest i kinda of agree with others re patton.

he's a big, lumbering brute, and no doubt will have an impact in future years, but at the moment i'd be a bit concerned about his pace off the mark and fitness levels to be a four-quarter player.

i've also heard from reasonably reliable sources that the bulldogs pushed hard to get him last year, and will go back for another go at the end of this year.

would have rohan for sure at the dees.

Patton probably least excites me most out of all the young forwards in the comp.

I agree with AdamFar in that he's more your goal square monster. There's so much hype about his size etc but really, I haven't seen anything special about his actual footballing ability. His kicking is pretty poor and he still has no idea about work ethic, chasing etc. he reminds me of Tom Hawkins. Of course Tommy's rise has been accelerated due to the team of champions he was surrounded by and has runs on the board now. These kids dominate under 18's because of their sheer body mass and size but with Patton, I just don't see that he can offer a whole lot other than being a big body..

Of course I could be wrong and it's very early days, but if you're comparing the attributes both athletically and in footballing ability - Cameron and Hogan look like they have a lot more to offer than Patton.

I ain't buying the hype yet and I reckon our KP stocks are fine at the moment.

It's the midfield and half forward line where our problem still remains. Our inside 50 count is still hurting us. We're still not using the ball particularly well going in.

With Hogan back hopefully from round 1 next year in the forward line, we certainly don't need Patton..

Edited by stevethemanjordan
  • Like 1

Patton probably least excites me most out of all the young forwards in the comp.

I agree with AdamFar in that he's more your goal square monster. There's so much hype about his size etc but really, I haven't seen anything special about his actual footballing ability. His kicking is pretty poor and he still has no idea about work ethic, chasing etc. he reminds me of Tom Hawkins. Of course Tommy's rise has been accelerated due to the team of champions he was surrounded by and has runs on the board now. These kids dominate under 18's because of their sheer body mass and size but with Patton, I just don't see that he can offer a whole lot other than being a big body..

Of course I could be wrong and it's very early days, but if you're comparing the attributes both athletically and in footballing ability - Cameron and Hogan look like they have a lot more to offer than Patton.

I ain't buying the hype yet and I reckon our KP stocks are fine at the moment.

It's the midfield and half forward line where our problem still remains. Our inside 50 count is still hurting us. We're still not using the ball particularly well going in.

With Hogan back hopefully from round 1 next year in the forward line, we certainly don't need Patton..

i think we actually need a goal square monster. Obviously he has to move around abit, but when you go long and deep into the forward line, some like Patton is useful. He is actually a real good chance at taking those marks.

to be honest i kinda of agree with others re patton.

he's a big, lumbering brute, and no doubt will have an impact in future years, but at the moment i'd be a bit concerned about his pace off the mark and fitness levels to be a four-quarter player.

i've also heard from reasonably reliable sources that the bulldogs pushed hard to get him last year, and will go back for another go at the end of this year.

would have rohan for sure at the dees.

Yeah, the pushed very hard, offered pick 4 and a player and made him a good financial offer thinking he might be nervous about his spot with Cameron All Australian and Boyd coming in with huge hype

I think he is very gettable.

I suspect that Patton is possibly more available than, say Cameron and Treloar, but may be more prone to staying given GWS’s investment in his recovery from knee issues.

Even if Cameron and Treloar come out and say they want a move back to Victoria, I’d expect GWS to knock offers back. Cameron and Treloar are two of the elite selections that are actually panning out, so would be very reluctant to let them walk. In GWS’ position I’d offload less established youngsters, or even Shiel, and take those savings and invest it into contract offers on those two next year. Even forcing those two into the PSD (if it got to that) would send a stronger message than trading two of your better performers as soon as they play the homesickness card.

That said, I believe the Dee’s should push hard for those boys (Cameron 1st preference, Treloar/Shiel 2nd) as you never know what might happen.

• Like 1

I agree, in that think Patton is more gettable.

But I'm not terribly worried about our forward-line for now.

We have time to develop our own, have done ok in this regard so far in 2014 and haven't had Hogan all season.

Personally, I think the more pressing need is our midfield, specifically to inject a young rangey running-type into our midfield group.

Someone with a bit of pace and great skill, a receiver who can win his own ball.

Someone like Jack Macrae in particular.

Now obviously he's not available, but I think that's the prototype we should be looking for.

A guy that when the ball gets to him in congestion, he can just take off.

What we may have all once hoped would become of Blease.

So I think we should be targetting guys like O'Rourke (if he's any good), Macrae (if for some freak reason he's gettable), Isaac Smith (same again), Stephen Hill (and again), Whitfield (again) or any others we can find that fit the type.

Jayden Hunt seems like he may one day has the physical attributes, but I'm thinking a pure mid with footy smarts.

Hard to find, harder to get, but would round out our midfield brilliantly and worth paying a lot for, in my opinion.

We have a good young outfit of contested ball winners (which still needs to grow), but I think we need some polish and topline pace.

We could also do with some more pure size in the midfield.

It's why I'm a fan of getting Plowman and turning him into a Mundy-like mid.

I think he has the ability.

• Like 1

I agree, in that think Patton is more gettable.

But I'm not terribly worried about our forward-line for now.

We have time to develop our own, have done ok in this regard so far in 2014 and haven't had Hogan all season.

Personally, I think the more pressing need is our midfield, specifically to inject a young rangey running-type into our midfield group.

Someone with a bit of pace and great skill, a receiver who can win his own ball.

Someone like Jack Macrae in particular.

Now obviously he's not available, but I think that's the prototype we should be looking for.

A guy that when the ball gets to him in congestion, he can just take off.

What we may have all once hoped would become of Blease.

So I think we should be targetting guys like O'Rourke (if he's any good), Macrae (if for some freak reason he's gettable), Isaac Smith (same again), Stephen Hill (and again), Whitfield (again) or any others we can find that fit the type.

Jayden Hunt seems like he may one day has the physical attributes, but I'm thinking a pure mid with footy smarts.

Hard to find, harder to get, but would round out our midfield brilliantly and worth paying a lot for, in my opinion.

We have a good young outfit of contested ball winners (which still needs to grow), but I think we need some polish and topline pace.

We could also do with some more pure size in the midfield.

It's why I'm a fan of getting Plowman and turning him into a Mundy-like mid.

I think he has the ability.

I agree the forward line is a far less pressing issue than people are making out, I think people underestimate the scoring ability of Watts and Bail, and Tyson is contributing goals from the midfield, Hogan will also significantly add to this.

I'd really like one more really good young mid, Salem and Toumpas will continue to grow, Michie is another who I think has the potential to be a good AFL player, whether we achieve this through a trade or we draft someone like young Brayshaw.

the other obvious area I think we need to improve is kicking off half back, i'd love us to land an elite user and creator off half back, not really sure who would be available that could fill that role.

• Like 1

the biggest surprise for me with gws is the uniformity of their midfield playing list:

all of coniglio, greene, shiel, whitfield, palmer, scully, lamb, treloar, kelly, kennedy are in the 180-183cm height bracket, and none 'play tall', or have really break-away pace either.

only ward at 187, hoskin-elliott at 186, and o'rourle at 188 are what i think of now as the 'prototype' ross / roos midfielder, while devon smith is very small at 174cm.

if they don't move on some of the same-sized types then i don't know how they're going to 'grow' as a club. ahem.

the biggest surprise for me with gws is the uniformity of their midfield playing list:

all of coniglio, greene, shiel, whitfield, palmer, scully, lamb, treloar, kelly, kennedy are in the 180-183cm height bracket, and none 'play tall', or have really break-away pace either.

only ward at 187, hoskin-elliott at 186, and o'rourle at 188 are what i think of now as the 'prototype' ross / roos midfielder, while devon smith is very small at 174cm.

if they don't move on some of the same-sized types then i don't know how they're going to 'grow' as a club. ahem.

I suppose in a sense that's the downside of how they have being allowed to build their list, if the draft is no good ultimately their list won't be good, mind you I think there is some serious talent there and I think they are going to seriously struggle to hang onto it with a better season seeming a little while off yet.

I agree the forward line is a far less pressing issue than people are making out, I think people underestimate the scoring ability of Watts and Bail, and Tyson is contributing goals from the midfield, Hogan will also significantly add to this.

I'd really like one more really good young mid, Salem and Toumpas will continue to grow, Michie is another who I think has the potential to be a good AFL player, whether we achieve this through a trade or we draft someone like young Brayshaw.

the other obvious area I think we need to improve is kicking off half back, i'd love us to land an elite user and creator off half back, not really sure who would be available that could fill that role.

Corey Ellis.

we also do need to recruit for further out, than the next 2-3 season. a KPD, & small forwards - pacy flanker/forward pocket who can take his turn thru the guts. & rookies.

we also do need to recruit for further out, than the next 2-3 season. a KPD, & small forwards - pacy flanker/forward pocket who can take his turn thru the guts. & rookies.

I reckon Kent, Salem, Bail, Kennedy-harris, Watts can all play forward/ rotate through the midfield,

a key defender would be handy