New coach Paul Roos shocked by Demons' scars

Undeeterred

Groan.

It was not genuine advice. Apparently I need to point that out. Post whatever the hell you want, hold everyone to account, but if I see unwarranted criticism of a guy whose five minutes through the door, I'm going to call you on it.

As I said you did it with Jackson, now Roos, and it's more than a little bit odd.

Freedom of speech isn't merely confined to your right to say your opinion or the right to yell over the top of someone. It also includes others and they may actually question what you have to say. It doesn't mean you can't say it but if you do, accept that you will be questioned.

Chiming in for my 2 bobs worth on the eve of the season. Paralysis by analysis has gripped DL yet again before a ball is bounced in anger. As for the Roos interview, good on the bloke for speaking his mind and answering the questions bluntly.

Roos paid job is to make his group of footballers compete at the highest level in AFL. FWIW and from what I have seen at training, I reckon the players are on track.

As for bagging previous coaches and administration at the MFC - bloody well go for it in my opinion. The last 7 years and those associated with it do NOT and should NOT expect anything but the full stinking wrath of members and supporters. Personally I don't want to see them anywhere near the club!

As to the immediate future lets give a premiership coach the respect he deserves.

As to paralysis by analysis - leave that for the Corby supporters!

• Like 2

Groan.

It was not genuine advice. Apparently I need to point that out. Post whatever the hell you want, hold everyone to account, but if I see unwarranted criticism of a guy whose five minutes through the door, I'm going to call you on it.

As I said you did it with Jackson, now Roos, and it's more than a little bit odd.

Glad that you're the self appointed saviour of this board.

I have let go - that's the difference between you and me. You can remain sycophantic and nod your head and say 'right on….!' All needed to be held accountable. We get it. Cut it. Sever. Finish. Do.

Ha!! It's you who can't let go buddy! He was asked a question and gave an answer, you are nit picking, jumping at shadows and trolling because only a dimwit couldn't recognise that Roos and the team can't show/do/prove anything until the games roll around. So are you a dim wit or a troll?!!

You don't wanna keep hearing his same answers to the same questions over and over don't read the articles until there's some new stuff to talk about. Right now it's preseason, so how bout you cut it, finish, move one & do?!?

Ha!! It's you who can't let go buddy! He was asked a question and gave an answer, you are nit picking, jumping at shadows and trolling because only a dimwit couldn't recognise that Roos and the team can't show/do/prove anything until the games roll around. So are you a dim wit or a troll?!!

You don't wanna keep hearing his same answers to the same questions over and over don't read the articles until there's some new stuff to talk about. Right now it's preseason, so how bout you cut it, finish, move one & do?!?

Awesome.

Sure ND got us into finals several times but he couldn't make the "culture change" to get us to the ultimate prize, and perhaps even more importantly in a way, to consistency.

And in his last few years the tail did start waving the dog, something strong inspiring coach would never allow.

So whilst not blaming him entirely for the club's sorry state, one can't exonerate him from all responsibility.

I am with sue on this - I hope that this is a (failed) effort at humour.

I always thought that ND was more like a mate to some of the players than coach and under him we were the ultimate in inconsistency, we had some pretty good players but in my view we never looked capable of winning a flag under him.

The fact is we haven't looked like winning a flag for 50 years.

• Like 1

I pretty much share your view Mb.

Yes we are starting as the worst performed club for the last six years particularly the last two.

We rank right up there with the worst performing clubs over the last 50 years old; the last six have just been a snapshot.

I'm hoping that the players we have recruited, the players we will get back from injury, the players that are coming in to their second years and the players that were almost destroyed by the club will help to lift us to mid table.

I think that Roos is managing expectations at this point; we have read what he said and should understand that until we play a game even he won't know just how deep the scars are. I love the guy he calls a spade a spade and if someone gets their ego dented they need to look at themselves and ask why and if the criticism was unfair, or not.

Edited by RobbieF
  • Like 2

If anyone thought I was blaming ND then im not. After he left we would have never imagined what would unfold. Anyway its good to see Roos isnt just throwing players in and he is obviously going to be very very careful with Mitch.

Don't reckon anyone's blaming Daniher. Instead, we were in a mess when he left and the bad administration, bad list management and poor coaching that followed has seen us remain in the same mess and not move forward for far too long.
  • Like 3

Don't reckon anyone's blaming Daniher. Instead, we were in a mess when he left and the bad administration, bad list management and poor coaching that followed has seen us remain in the same mess and not move forward for far too long.

ND was a very good coach. The list management decisions and poor drafting from his time still reverberate to this day however.

ND was a very good coach. The list management decisions and poor drafting from his time still reverberate to this day however.

Get over it ND showed us something that only Northey has shown me, deep final campaigns your constant snide remarks about our second or 3 rd best coach since Norm Smith are disgraceful and pathetic but to be honest I wouldn't expect anything less from a know it all try hard , ND left the building years ago and the club hasn't been the same since.

and the rumpy pumpy too d-l ???

I worry about you DC sometimes. I hope your not a teacher.

haven't you heard, choir boys are out at Melbourne, & He-men are coming back.

you may have to put up with backhair & bumfluff daisy, instead of clean shaven or nair-ed clean. :o

ND left us in a position that most moderately successful clubs have been after a sustained good run. Worn out and in need of a rebuild. The rebuild turned into a disaster because of Schwab's looney polices. ND's biggest failing was not being able to get consistency of excellence year after year. Bad years always followed good years to the frustration of all. I am sure if he remained in charge we could never have been as bad as we became unless he too had to work under Schwab.

Edited by america de cali

I always thought that ND was more like a mate to some of the players than coach, and under him we were the ultimate in inconsistency, we had some pretty good players but in my view we never looked capable of winning a flag under him.

The fact is we haven't looked like winning a flag for 50 years.

ND left us in a position that most moderately successful clubs have been after a sustained good run. Worn out and in need of a rebuild. The rebuild turned into a disaster because of Schwab's looney polices. ND's biggest failing was not being able to get consistency of excellence year after year. Bad years always followed good years to the frustration of all. I am sure if he remained in charge we could never have as bad as we became unless he too had to work under Schwab too.

not right

we ended up in a mess at the end of ND's reign because the club left it too long, as it didn't know what it was doing in footy terms.

then they hired the wrong people as we now know to take charge of the rebuild. Ex Mfc players, who didn't know how to go about it; just our history of 50 yrs suggests... failure.

It all starts at Board Level, with they're hiring of key personnel... they've failed us for decades, as have our mechanisms of finding great Footy Board directors.

It's the common theme of the Melbourne Footy Club for 50 Years.

thank god the AFL are holding the Whip hand, & the scruff of our necks.

Edited by dee-luded

Maybe I was reading a different article, but what I got from it that as a player he understands all too well how painful it is to play for a club you love that is run by people you don't believe in, and that as a premiership coach it's important to give players defined roles with clear objectives, and that to keep in mind that these young men need to know that everything that is being asked of them is only being asked because it will make them better footballers.

I also got the feeling that they'll play for him because he won't throw them under a bus when things get tough.

• Like 7

Maybe I was reading a different article, but what I got from it that as a player he understands all too well how painful it is to play for a club you love that is run by people you don't believe in, and that as a premiership coach it's important to give players defined roles with clear objectives, and that to keep in mind that these young men need to know that everything that is being asked of them is only being asked because it will make them better footballers.

I also got the feeling that they'll play for him because he won't throw them under a bus when things get tough.

Yep read the same article as you...thanks for that I feel better

not right

we ended up in a mess at the end of ND's reign because the club left it too long, as it didn't know what it was doing in footy terms.

then they hired the wrong people as we now know to take charge of the rebuild. Ex Mfc players, who didn't know how to go about it; just our history of 50 yrs suggests... failure.

It all starts at Board Level, with they're hiring of key personnel... they've failed us for decades, as have our mechanisms of finding great Footy Board directors.

It's the common theme of the Melbourne Footy Club for 50 Years.

thank god the AFL are holding the reading your posts

Whip hand, & the scruff of our necks.

He is right ND left the club in 07 CS and he's meddling put us in today's position, reading your posts is like trying to put a jig saw puzzle back togother,you put dirt on ND but it's coming from a guy that won't buy a membership

until the club has a social club, insanity.

I am impressed that there was a double-page article on Roos in both Melbourne's morning papers. Let us hope that this favourable publicity translates into more membership sales and supporters at games.

You stole my thought. Which other Melbourne Coach would have got those 4 pages in the sports section of our 2 biggest papers, with his sponsors logos there and gaining massive publicity for the club.

Roos makes us relevant in the AFL because he is so repected. We were irrelevant for the last few years.

• Like 6

Get over it ND showed us something that only Northey has shown me, deep final campaigns your constant snide remarks about our second or 3 rd best coach since Norm Smith are disgraceful and pathetic but to be honest I wouldn't expect anything less from a know it all try hard , ND left the building years ago and the club hasn't been the same since.

Put your hand up rpfc and tell us the last time us Demons enjoyed a Grand Final parade?

I wasn't talking to you rah rah rah.

lol

Seriously though, mjt, let go of your dislike for me - you're embarrassing yourself.

Please go and find my 'snide, disgraceful and pathetic' comments about Neale Daniher.

But you won't will you?

Because while you think of me as a 'try hard' and a 'know it all' - you don't try very hard to know anything you comment on.

Here, I will save you the ignominy of looking for the nuanced views of others. I wrote this in another thread:

Demons lose Picks 5, 32, and 47 spread over the 1999 and 2000 drafts for Salary Cap breaches.

Demons select Luke Molan, Steven Armstrong and Aaron Rodgers with Picks 9, 25 and 26 in 2001.

Demons select Daniel Bell and Nick Smith with Picks 14 and15 in 2002.

Demons trade Pick 21 for Ben Holland in 2003.

Demons turn Darren Jolly, Scott Thompson, Picks 13 and 29 into Matthew Bate, Lynden Dunn, Brent Moloney, and Paul Johnson in 2004.

Demons trade Picks 28 and 44 for Byron Pickett in 2005.

Demons select Cale Morton and Addam Maric with Picks 4 and 21 and trade Pick 38 for John Meesen in 2007.

Demons select Sam Blease, James Strauss, and Jamie Bennell with Picks 17, 19, and 35 in 2008.

Demons trade Brock McLean for Pick 11 and select Jordan Gysberts and select Luke Tapscott with Pick 18 in 2009.

Demons lose Cameron Bruce and James McDonald prematurely and select Lucas Cook with Pick 12 in 2010.

These are the bylines to our mysery.

And it spans Boards and Coaches, almost generations...

And it still hurts. Geelong is still fuelled by the drafts of 1999 and 2000. Scott Thompson would be capain of the club should fate have been different.

You can keep looking for blame and assigning it to whomever but there is so much to go around that it becomes irrelevant.

This club is not big enough to get out the torches again. There is no satisfaction in shooting yourself deliberately in the foot.

You want this club to be great again?

Forgive some Demons and get over it.

Neale Daniher was a very good coach and would be alongside Northey in a list (we all wish was longer) of the best coaches since Smith.

However, decisions made many years ago effect the club well past the point they are initially made.

• Like 2