Priority Pick Hypothetical

Machsy

Check out Jacksons interview on 'On the Couch'.

edit; sorry checked it out and I must have been dreaming, swear I heard or have seen it somewhere. We will get it all the same.

After PJ went to the AFL asking for money, he stated that a PP was also talked about. Was in his doorstop presser after the meeting.

If we get #1, trade to GWS for #2 and Adams.

Then GWS can do what they so choose with it.

Like it. We get a hard mid in Adams and the best mid available, eg, Aish, from the draft.

GWS can trade pick 1 for one or two current players to fill their need for experience. They may think they were going to lose Adams anyway. Pick 1 (Boyd) would have far more leverage than pick 2.

Edited by Moonshadow

Like it. We get a hard mid in Adams and the best mid available, eg, Aish, from the draft.

GWS can trade pick 1 for one or two current players to fill their need for experience. They may think they were going to lose Adams anyway. Pick 1 (Boyd) would have far more leverage than pick 2.

They could trade Adams to another club for a decent pick, I don't think GWS are in that much of a need to go up 1 position in the draft.

It's unrealistic to think they'll just give Adams away to move from 1 to 2.

• Like 1

They could trade Adams to another club for a decent pick, I don't think GWS are in that much of a need to go up 1 position in the draft.

It's unrealistic to think they'll just give Adams away to move from 1 to 2.

It's been reported that a large number of clubs are interested in chasing pick 1 for Tom Boyd.

GWS might like to have that power? As having pick 2 won't give them that trading power as those clubs will want pick 1.

If we can somehow work a trade with GWS that see's us secure pick 2 and Adams, for our pick 1 and maybe a player to fill a role required, it could get over the line. It might involve swapping of later picks? Who knows.

Remember Adams is likely to leave to come home. So would GWS prefer to take a late first round pick or second round pick for him? Or would they like the bargaining power of having pick 1? I'd suggest they'd be keen to float the idea of having pick 1. Like many other clubs.

I can't agree more with Paul Roos. Trade both first rounds picks for established and experienced midfielders.

When are we ever going to learn we cannot fix our problem by drafting talented kids?, our development of these highly picked young men is that poor we have how many threads already on players not showing much improvement?

Our forward line (Hogan, Clark, Dawes, Howe, Fitz etc) is extremely strong already. We all know we have an experienced back line (due to all the work they have to do week in week out)

We need experienced mids, nothing else. We have enough potential future midfielders, just absolutely no one to show them how it is done. And if anyone thinks Jones can, think again. Jones only knows what he does by watching other midfielders he plays against. Why? he has absolutely no one to learn off inside the club. Royal has to go too. Far too old for the modern midfield.

People need to be realistic, I keep reading we need to trade for 2 experienced good midfielders, but who are they, who is worth a top three pick that firstly wants to leave there current club and secondly wants to come to the worst club in the AFL.

Adams is a great suggestion but does he fit the experienced midfielder that we need or are we adding another kid to our list and is he worth a top three pick?

I agree that we need to add midfielders, but what we have learnt from this year is not to add experience players to our list just because they can get them, Dawes has been good but the others have offered nothing. Byrnes cost us pick 21ish, if we didn't get him we would have got a second round pick for Moloney and Rivers.

We have to go back to the draft, there is no short term fix, if someone is available then yes trade offer up our picks, but that person needs to be a high quality player and not a fringe player from another club.

I can't agree more with Paul Roos. Trade both first rounds picks for established and experienced midfielders.

When are we ever going to learn we cannot fix our problem by drafting talented kids?, our development of these highly picked young men is that poor we have how many threads already on players not showing much improvement?

Our forward line (Hogan, Clark, Dawes, Howe, Fitz etc) is extremely strong already. We all know we have an experienced back line (due to all the work they have to do week in week out)

We need experienced mids, nothing else. We have enough potential future midfielders, just absolutely no one to show them how it is done. And if anyone thinks Jones can, think again. Jones only knows what he does by watching other midfielders he plays against. Why? he has absolutely no one to learn off inside the club. Royal has to go too. Far too old for the modern midfield.

Can't agree at all on the forward line being extremely strong.

Potential in Hogan, Clark not yet a proven forward and a better ruck man who can't get on the ground. Dawes a workhorse at best, Fitz not yet and Howe still to play consistent football. Our forward line is far from strong.

We highly overrate our forward stocks.

• Like 1

Can't agree at all on the forward line being extremely strong.

Potential in Hogan, Clark not yet a proven forward and a better ruck man who can't get on the ground. Dawes a workhorse at best, Fitz not yet and Howe still to play consistent football. Our forward line is far from strong.

We highly overrate our forward stocks.

Agree, has the makings of the best forward line in the comp, but 3 years ago we had the makings of the best midfield in the comp when jack trengove and Scully came onboard, and that hardly worked out

• Like 1

I just think that IF Tom Boyd is that talent that he is being hyped up to be.. we should not be letting that opportunity slip

I disagree with this logic.

The club has mentioned on many occasions that they will be pursuing mids like there's no tomorrow at the trade/draft period this year. Mahoney and Craig stated that we only have about 8 blokes who can rotate thru the guts whereas the better clubs have up to 12 players capable of playing effective footy in the midfield. If the club turn around and draft another tall forward based on the "because he's the best in the draft" logic after hearing what what I heard I will be flabbergasted.

I'm sure Boyd and Hogan will love competing against one-another for <40 inside 50's most games next year.

FCS, we all know very well that out mid stocks are woeful let alone poorly skilled. If we get a priority pick and finish last we trade Boyd on. I'm sure whatever transpires if this does actually happen will be complex and involve several clubs.

Bottom line is that we need a strong midfield and will have to cop it sweet that it just so happens this draft has one Tom Boyd in it. Lucky we secured Hogan last year which should make this years decision considerably easier to use Boyd as 'on-trade' bait if we have to.

• Like 1

I disagree with this logic.

The club has mentioned on many occasions that they will be pursuing mids like there's no tomorrow at the trade/draft period this year. Mahoney and Craig stated that we only have about 8 blokes who can rotate thru the guts whereas the better clubs have up to 12 players capable of playing effective footy in the midfield. If the club turn around and draft another tall forward based on the "because he's the best in the draft" logic after hearing what what I heard I will be flabbergasted.

I'm sure Boyd and Hogan will love competing against one-another for <40 inside 50's most games next year.

FCS, we all know very well that out mid stocks are woeful let alone poorly skilled. If we get a priority pick and finish last we trade Boyd on. I'm sure whatever transpires if this does actually happen will be complex and involve several clubs.

Bottom line is that we need a strong midfield and will have to cop it sweet that it just so happens this draft has one Tom Boyd in it. Lucky we secured Hogan last year which should make this years decision considerably easier to use Boyd as 'on-trade' bait if we have to.

I would suggest as PJ says the lack of leadership in the locker room is our biggest issue, if we're given a PP it would be based on the idea that we're going to trade that pick to address that issue.

Agree, has the makings of the best forward line in the comp, but 3 years ago we had the makings of the best midfield in the comp when jack trengove and Scully came onboard, and that hardly worked out

Yeah I wonder why? one was poorly developed, the other done the runner for money before any more damage was done.

The only reason why I think we have a strong forward line, is because none of the KPF are from Melbourne. Clark spent his first 6 at Brissie, Dawes 5 at the Pies and Hogan by the looks of things, doesn't need any.

Yeah I wonder why? one was poorly developed, the other done the runner for money before any more damage was done.

The only reason why I think we have a strong forward line, is because none of the KPF are from Melbourne. Clark spent his first 6 at Brissie, Dawes 5 at the Pies and Hogan by the looks of things, doesn't need any.

It's a strong lineup, but there are alot of questions to be answered yet

1. will they be able to work effectively together?

2. will they be able to get on the park at all?

3. will jesse hogan live up to the hype? ( this shouldn't be judged until he has spent 3-5 years in the AFL system, we're good at throwing our young players to the wolves if they don't dominate from the word go.

shall be interesting, but as you say it has all the pieces to make a very dangerous puzzle.

It's a strong lineup, but there are alot of questions to be answered yet

1. will they be able to work effectively together?

2. will they be able to get on the park at all?

3. will jesse hogan live up to the hype? ( this shouldn't be judged until he has spent 3-5 years in the AFL system, we're good at throwing our young players to the wolves if they don't dominate from the word go.

shall be interesting, but as you say it has all the pieces to make a very dangerous puzzle.

Agree D26. We went the whole of 2013 without Dawes and Clark on the park together. So of course this is the major factor.

I got the feeling Hogan will settle in nicely, just as long as we keep the hype down. Just comparing VFL footage between Watts (5 years ago) and Hogan now, that boy don't take crap from anyone. His biggest difference to Watts is he uses that body of his. Effectively too.

Fingers are definitely crossed for how this all pans out. But in regards to those early picks, I'm definitely a supporter of Roo's hypothetical analysis.

What about pick 1 to richmond for D.Martin & a second rounder. They have plenty of midfield stocks, but other than riewoldt.. vickery is a dud.. and edwards is extremely inconsistent.

I'd be wanting Martin & their first round pick & also somebody that can help him through rehab & possibly a school teacher to help him add & subtract.

Edited by Matt Demon
  • Like 2

Anyone that thinks we have a strong forward line is not thinking straight. We don't, our backline would stand up pretty well with Frawley and Garland but not the forward line.

Reckon we should trade Boyd if we had a chance to get him, no way. We will pick up mids, trade and develop some. You just don't get the opportunity to get once a once in a generation forward line. Ask the doggies.

I know our mids are weak, we all can see that but don't be blinded by it and think we are ok in other areas of the ground, we are not. There won't be any A grade mids on the table apart from free agents and pensioners so unless the dogs want to give up Griffen then I would say no deal.

From what I see in the coming draft Aish is the x factor mid, the grunt is Crouch and another Vic country boy who might be a bargain buy down the list is a kid called Holman. Very tough and hard at it.

• Like 3

Would get Martin in to our team in an instant!

The rumours have died down severely later this year, and let him go get inked with jonesy and mitch all preseason and he'll be straight and narrow!

Pick 1 for Martin and rd2, would pretty much let us get Zak jones and dayle garlett with our 2nd picks, and still get a top mid with pick 3

Also turns Richmond into a super team, Boyd reiwoldt and vickery is impressive talls

Trades:

Watts for Hutchings? He will struggle to make the side with Shuey, Kerr, Waters, Hurn, LeCras, Masten, and Wellingham next year. WCE might like something more versatile and re Morton last year arent affraid of taking a punt.

Pick swap for Adams? Balance out Hutchings who is a mature player

Free agency:

Thomas? He will be restricted and someone to throw cash at.

If it becomes a bidding war for pick 1 i would suggest we could get an A grade mid and a top 10 pick for it, i'd love Daniel Rich and pick 7 but not sure if the lions would deal that

Would get Martin in to our team in an instant!

The rumours have died down severely later this year, and let him go get inked with jonesy and mitch all preseason and he'll be straight and narrow!

Pick 1 for Martin and rd2, would pretty much let us get Zak jones and dayle garlett with our 2nd picks, and still get a top mid with pick 3

Also turns Richmond into a super team, Boyd reiwoldt and vickery is impressive talls

Hogan, Boyd and Clark looks good to me.

• Like 1

The drafts and trading board is cringeworthy to read this time of year.

So many farcical suggestions.

I'm finding it easier and easier to ween myself off this site.

Don't let us keep you here. In fact, how can we help you along to elsewhere?

• Like 2