We must trade pick 2

Guest Demon Abroad

So I think that we're all in agreement on this - we're not letting pick 2 go unless there is a true star available.

The difference in opinion comes from the reality of this. We can get in clubs'/players' ears, we can try to suss out players, but given the position of pick 2, there currently is little to no evidence at all to suggest anyone worthy of pick 2 will be available.

We'll have to wait and see, I guess, but I'm certainly not expecting us to do anything other than draft a kid with pick 2.

I still think we can lure the likes of a "Brad Sewell type" who can oversee the young players onfield development. our past leaders were not up to this, with our clubs poor culture in all who grew up amongst it, & none the wiser. this is why recent premiership winning leaders from other clubs are very valuable.

So there aren't any clubs I know of that have so many A Grade midfielders, that they can't fit them all into their teams.

So I reckon we're better off looking to grab an ex topline mid who will still be in our best 18,,, who wants a nice earner for 2 Years.

We Keep our (pick 2 ?) for the best young kid available to us at our pick.

I still think we can lure the likes of a "Brad Sewell type" who can oversee the young players onfield development. our past leaders were not up to this, with our clubs poor culture in all who grew up amongst it, & none the wiser. this is why recent premiership winning leaders from other clubs are very valuable.

So there aren't any clubs I know of that have so many A Grade midfielders, that they can't fit them all into their teams.

So I reckon we're better off looking to grab an ex topline mid who will still be in our best 18,,, who wants a nice earner for 2 Years.

We Keep our (pick 2 ?) for the best young kid available to us at our pick.

Dee-luded IMO you are not going to get the player you talk about without doing two things.

- using our first pick

- paying over the odds.

I'm not interested in trading Pick 2 at all. At some point, we've got to back ourselves to get it right.

theres been nothing wrong with the picks at all...

its been our choices firstly in the talent spotting & Identifying,,, to select the right player & types of players for us, & the then the poor culture & ability to develop our kids in the Past.

this is why IMO the AFL have stepped in to take over our affairs. because it seems we have no-one amongst our off field leaders from the Northern stand, who know footy well enough to get it right.

How many decades of failing boards & footy dept's before the club folds. poor culture breeds poor teams, & players with talent but not Premiership winning knowhow...

.. we have underperformed for so long its almost expected... its bred into our ways. & its gotta stop.

Dee-luded IMO you are not going to get the player you talk about without doing two things.

- using our first pick

- paying over the odds.

theres No way we should use a Pick 2 on a 29 year old, who is starting to lose his spot in the grand final side. its just not worth it.

but I'm sure we can afford a front ended 2 Yr contract for $1 Mill,, or what it takes to get it done, onfield midfield playing coach.

If Tom Boyd goes as Pick 1 to whoever, that means we'll have the best available mid at pick 2*. That's got to be better than any possible trade scenario.

And for what it's worth, I don't think we'll get a priority pick ahead of every other club's first round draft pick, if at all.

*assuming Nasher's prophesy that we'll end up above St Kilda doesn't happen. (Nasher - you're dreaming)

cant see any first class mid that would not be jumped on by GWS and get big bucks

so we wont attract one unless hes a gimp. we will have to use our p2 on a kid

There's actually also the real possibility that it could be pick 3. Go ahead and laugh if you want, but look at the ladder, our draw and St Kilda's draw first.

No chance we finish ahead of the saints.

In order for us to finish ahead of st Kilda we would have to win at least 2 games. And the first of those won't come v GWS.

Plus St Kilda have a very winnable game vs Gold Coast at Etihad.

If the Giants could somehow knock off the suns in the last round we could finish with the number 1 pick.

No chance we finish ahead of the saints.

In order for us to finish ahead of st Kilda we would have to win at least 2 games. And the first of those won't come v GWS.

Plus St Kilda have a very winnable game vs Gold Coast at Etihad.

If the Giants could somehow knock off the suns in the last round we could finish with the number 1 pick.

saints can win

- Rnd 19 - Lions @ Gabba

- Rnd 22 - Suns @ Etihad

I agree and like your points, although I don't think one player whether traded in or drafted in will significantly improve our midfield anytime soon... unless if his name is Gary Ablett (I wish).

I think we can all agree we need midfielders, hopefully we obtain a concession pick to get two. If we are to trade one away there is only one player I would trade it for that should be out of contract at seasons end and that is Tom Mitchell of Sydney. He plays as if he has 100 games under his belt, he's built like a rock and yet he is still very young and has a decade and a half of football ahead of him (very good mates with Viney growing up).

As for any potential confession pick I would be happy with Sheed or Aish, although i wouldn't complain with a Dunstan or Freeman either.

I agree and like your points, although I don't think one player whether traded in or drafted in will significantly improve our midfield anytime soon... unless if his name is Gary Ablett (I wish).

I think we can all agree we need midfielders, hopefully we obtain a concession pick to get two. If we are to trade one away there is only one player I would trade it for that should be out of contract at seasons end and that is Tom Mitchell of Sydney. He plays as if he has 100 games under his belt, he's built like a rock and yet he is still very young and has a decade and a half of football ahead of him (very good mates with Viney growing up).

As for any potential confession pick I would be happy with Sheed or Aish, although i wouldn't complain with a Dunstan or Freeman either.

My thinking is If Boyd is there @ pick 2, & if he is the best player available we should take him no question.

taking an 18 yr old Mid isn't going to help us on a quick turnaround, but Boyd will help us going forward if he's all he's touted to be.. if we go this way & sort out our talls at the end of 2014, we could very well have One, or even 2 key forwards which we could be able to trade to a willing club for a strong Mid.

... we also could have a ruck to spare at the end of 2014.

this year I'd like us to get One reliable top-flite Mid who can show our kids the right way next season, they only need to have 2 - 3 years left in them, but they have to be tough & a great leader.

Also I want us to go after Andrew Gaff big time, when his contract is nearing term. (apparently (2014) so we must get in his ear over summer & thru next season... he'll be approaching 22 Yrs at the end of his current contract, the perfect time to bring him home.

No reason why we cannot have a crack at Gaff at the end of this season during trade week, DL.

Adams from GWS must be pursued as well.

If his ankle passes a medical, Daisy could be a FA pick up.

Nick Dal Santo? Not sure if he fits the type we want, but he'd be our best mid for a year or two, at the current rate.

Obviously, some or all of these might not want to come to us, but we should have a red hot go regardless. Mitch Clark wasn't keen on coming to us either. Money talks.

Need a coach first.

What do people think about trading down our pick 2 given their are a load of good midfield prospects in the top 20. Ie Adams and pick 10 from GWS for pick 2? Perhaps Shiel and their 2nd round pick as another option.

What do people think about trading down our pick 2 given their are a load of good midfield prospects in the top 20. Ie Adams and pick 10 from GWS for pick 2? Perhaps Shiel and their 2nd round pick as another option.

Where did GWS get Pick 10 from?

Because we need good seasoned midfield players sd.

IMO The kids we would take this year will take two to three years to be good AFL players

If we have no senior help they may never develop, as we have seen for the last six years.

Gaff plays outside, I want someone who gets in and gets the ball..

I would love a dynamic mid that does both - but there are not many of those available (or at all). But I would never sneeze at anyone who can get 15 to 20 uncontested possessions a game.

We need run and confidence more than hard ball gets.

I don't think any club has successfully traded many early picks for a mid-field. They may have traded later picks for some top-ups, but the best midfields have always come from developing draft choices. Even Sydney's much-vaunted midfield has come largely from draft picks, many of them quite late:

McVeigh #5 2002
Hanneberry #30 2008
O'Keefe #56 1999
Mitchell #21 2011(F/S)
Malcejski #64 2002
K Jack Rookie elevation 2007
Goodes #43 1997
B Jack Rookie Draft #58 2013
Jetta #13 2009

Kennedy, Bolton and McGlynn have been trades. Bolton came to them for #8 to Geelong, but it was way back in 1998.

Richmond's best (Deledio, Martin, Cotchin), and the basis of their rising strength, were all draftees.

Judd is the only midfielder in recent history I can think of that has warranted a high first-round draft pick, so if we were going to trade #2, a player of that level is what I'd want. I doubt there will be any available.

The last thing I want is to waste a valuable draft pick with some knee-jerk reaction based on impatience about progress.

• Like 3

I don't think any club has successfully traded many early picks for a mid-field. They may have traded later picks for some top-ups, but the best midfields have always come from developing draft choices. Even Sydney's much-vaunted midfield has come largely from draft picks, many of them quite late:

McVeigh #5 2002

Hanneberry #30 2008

O'Keefe #56 1999

Mitchell #21 2011(F/S)

Malcejski #64 2002

K Jack Rookie elevation 2007

Goodes #43 1997

B Jack Rookie Draft #58 2013

Jetta #13 2009

Kennedy, Bolton and McGlynn have been trades. Bolton came to them for #8 to Geelong, but it was way back in 1998.

Richmond's best (Deledio, Martin, Cotchin), and the basis of their rising strength, were all draftees.

Judd is the only midfielder in recent history I can think of that has warranted a high first-round draft pick, so if we were going to trade #2, a player of that level is what I'd want. I doubt there will be any available.

The last thing I want is to waste a valuable draft pick with some knee-jerk reaction based on impatience about progress.

Sydney deserve there success, fancy B Jack going at pick 58 in the rookie draft, after the way his brother plays you would think others clubs would take a chance.

We should do a deal with the pies, pick 2 for Daisy and there first round pick.

Just outbid them and we can keep Pick 2.

I think that Thomas will not want to come to a club in which he would be the Number 1 midfielder.

I really don't know how he would go in that situation either.

Sydney deserve their success, fancy B Jack going at pick 58 in the rookie draft, after the way his brother plays you would think others clubs would take a chance.

Sydney's midfield drafting history illustrates perfectly a. how you can get a midfield without lots of top 5 draft picks (add Geelong to the list) and b. what folly it would be to trade #2 for anything less than an Ablett, a Pendlebury or a Murphy.

Just outbid them and we can keep Pick 2.

I think that Thomas will not want to come to a club in which he would be the Number 1 midfielder.

I really don't know how he would go in that situation either.

How do you outbid an organisation that has more money and options than us, you have to give to get, Daisy and say pick 11 for pick 2, I would take it.

Sydney deserve there success, fancy B Jack going at pick 58 in the rookie draft, after the way his brother plays you would think others clubs would take a chance.

It's their development. Brandon Jack couldn't kick, couldn't find the ball. He was small and probably didn't have amazing endurance. Pretty much a rookie if you've ever seen one.

Now within a few months Sydney have taught him how and where to run, how to tackle, how to use his natural instincts to hunt and win the footy and maybe he'll end up like his brother and develop the ability to be elite at clearances and tidy up his kicking but that's for down the track.

Melbourne on the other hand has a player like Blease with more speed than Brandon Jack, better foot skills and if I had to have either in my side this week I'd probably take Brandon Jack.