Casey Scorpions v Collingwood and Debt Demolition Day

KC from Casey

You've obviously not seen him play.

I have and he looks good but referring to my post I have seen all those others as well and there are many variables to be negotiated for him to be a star just yet. Let us wait and hope for the best but until then keep lid on it.

Thanks as always KC. Noticed that Davis was in the bests. Any chance of a call up?

I've been a fan of his for a while and he's been on the fringe of selection on a few occasions both this year and last. He is always a steady contributor in the backline and is improving his disposal. I think he should get a run in the second half of the season. He had 26 possessions today and controlled the defence.

• Like 1

Hogan is a good field kick, but obviously needs work on his set shots. To be worried by any facet of his game, considering he's the best talent to walk into this club in 40 years, is neurotic.

I've never seen him play - what's he doing wrong at the moment, BH?

I'm not having a go at him - I'm fairly confident he's the best player on our list right now. I'm just interested to know what he's doing wrong (read: talking about Hogan is relatively exciting).

I've never seen him play - what's he doing wrong at the moment, BH?

I'm not having a go at him - I'm fairly confident he's the best player on our list right now. I'm just interested to know what he's doing wrong (read: talking about Hogan is relatively exciting).

He does a lot right, just has a very awkward kicking action that if not addressed will put a ceiling on his goal kicking potential.

the best part about Hogan is that we have two years left on this contract. It would be nice to get his signature on an extension but not important. If we're still crap in two years well have bigger problems than Hogan leaving. If in 24 months wee are starting to put it together he won't want to leave, same as the GWS and GCS players.

• Like 1

He does a lot right, just has a very awkward kicking action that if not addressed will put a ceiling on his goal kicking potential.

He has still kicked 20 goals from 8 games.

Although I feel he lacks penetration with his kicking, most of those ovals blow a gale, is it just the stutter you don't like? Or how he arcs out and uses more of a bit of a j curve while kicking?

I think making him runner straighter at goal could give him more penetration, but I doubt mich will be done about it because overall he kicks the footy solidly

Alternatively can we just drop the hype on this kid a tad. He is playing well at VFL level I hope like everyone that it means he is a gun but gee over the years how many gunnas have we seen? Schwartz could have been anything but stuffed through injury, Jackovich injury, attitude? Charles injury, neglect, Glenn Lovett injury, jurrah, community meltdown, Warren Dean, knee, Tingay workplace injury, where do I stop on the talent that has for not been fully realised over the years. Let us give him some time and space to make his way into the seniors and treat him like any of the others. If we as a club have got our act together in two years time he will re sign ata fair price.

I agree but Warren Dean?

I've been a fan of his for a while and he's been on the fringe of selection on a few occasions both this year and last. He is always a steady contributor in the backline and is improving his disposal. I think he should get a run in the second half of the season. He had 26 possessions today and controlled the defence.

Really? Wow. I think from what I 've seen the thing missing from his game is getting involved offensively (and as you say, efficiently), from the sounds of it this was present yesterday so here's hoping he gets a call up v. soon.

Edited by Allen Jakovich

I believe he has told some of the players at the club he will go back to WA when he can

Ok, simple question for you. How did you come by this info?

There's one glaring issue wrong with this, if it is true then the players would never ever give out that info to people they hardly know. If you have direct access to the players then why suddenly volunteer this info and not anything else in the past? what you say could be true but I highly doubt it, i've heard the exact opposite

• Like 1

Ok, simple question for you. How did you come by this info?

Dont feed the troll.

Jesse loves Melbourne and the opportunity we have given him, also understands we gave up a lot to acquire him in the mini draft and he is hellbent on repaying the faith showed in him by the MFC.

Its very, very early days but I have every faith he will be a 1 club player.

Edited by hogans_heroes
  • Like 1

Dont feed the troll.

Jesse loves Melbourne and the opportunity we have given him, also understands we gave up a lot to acquire him in the mini draft and he is hellbent on repaying the faith showed in him by the MFC.

Tom scully said that aswsll you know.

Dont feed the troll.

That's why we grabbed him!

He's changed his set shot action. I noticed yesterday he doesn't do the stutter step anymore, he was just coming in on a straight line.

I sincerely hope that nobody is trying to coach this kid in any way whatsoever.

• Like 1

RUFFLED FEATHERS by KC from Casey

The Casey Scorpions grabbed top spot on the VFL ladder and ruffled a few Magpie feathers after hammering finals aspirants Collingwood to the tune of a crushing 90-points at Casey Fields on Saturday.

The Scorpion onslaught was led all day by midfield ball magnets Paul Couch who amassed 39 disposals and James Magner who had two touches less. Together, they dominated the stoppages and general play and were aided and abetted by some top notch ruckwork from Jake Spencer (19 hit outs to go with his three goals) and the emerging beanpole Max Gawn. Up forward, young key position player Jesse Hogan belied his tender age of 18 with strong marking and tireless work around the ground. The young tyro managed 15 possesions, taking 9 marks and had his kicking been on target (he scored 2.3) the rout would certainly have exceeded the 100-point mark. Former North Melbourne rookie Ben Hughes also chimed in with three nice goals.

The Magpies opened brightly under the sunny skies and had most of the early play but once the home team adapted to the chilly breezes, it faced little resistance winning every quarter and coasting effortlessly to a 15 goal win. Indeed, apart from a little biffo and remonstrating at one stage in proceedings, the visitors hardly did justice to the jumper.

However, they were beaten by a very good side. The Casey defence was strong with Troy Davis and Luke Tynan not only proving to be impassable but also providing countless springboards into attack. They finished with 27 and 26 disposals respectively and together with their fellow defenders, kept the Magpies down to a measly seven goals, less than half their average over their now broken three week winning streak against Geelong, Essendon and the Northern Blues.

Davis, now in his third year on the Melbourne list and yet to play a game at AFL level is finally staking a claim for promotion.

Casey's ruck dominance was achieved against a strong tall man division which included Ben Hudson and Jarrod Witts who along with Gawn at 208cm, is equal second tallest current AFL behind injured Docker Aaron Sandilands.

Late inclusion Shannon Byrnes livened up the forward line with a couple of goals, a feat matched by Casey-South Melbourne cricket captain Jake Best. Twenty-third man Jarryd Drew got into the action with a goal after the final siren to cap off a great day on which the club also ran a successful debt demolition function before the game.

The team has a break next week with the bye before taking on the Coburg Tigers at home on 23 June. The Development League team which rested this week, play away next weekend to fourth placed Werribee Tigers.

HOW THE DEMONS FARED

Shannon Byrnes 14 kicks 5 handballs 19 disposals 5 marks 2 tackles 2 goals

Mitchell Clisby 11 kicks 8 handballs 19 disposals 5 marks 2 tackles

Thomas Couch 11 kicks 28 handballs 39 disposals 5 marks 2 tackles 2 goals

Troy Davis 14 kicks 13 handballs 27 disposals 5 marks 1 tackles

Max Gawn 9 kicks 8 handballs 17 disposals 3 marks 26 hit outs 1 goal

Thomas Gillies 8 kicks 7 handballs 15 disposals 4 marks 3 tackles

Jesse Hogan 11 kicks 4 handballs 15 disposals 10 marks 2 tackles 3 hit outs 2 goals 3 behinds

Neville Jetta 8 kicks 5 handballs 13 disposals 5 marks 8 tackles 2 goals

James Magner 22 kicks 15 handballs 37 disposals 7 marks 5 tackles 1 goal 2 behinds

Daniel Nicholson 16 kicks 11 handballs 27 disposals 1 mark 4 tackles

James Sellar 6 kicks 7 handballs 13 disposals 6 marks

Jake Spencer 9 kicks 5 handballs 14 disposals 7 marks 3 tackles 19 hit outs 3 goals 3 behinds

James Strauss 7 kicks 7 handballs 14 disposals 3 marks 4 tackles

Rory Taggert 7 kicks 4 handballs 11 disposals 4 marks 3 tackles

Joshua Tynan 13 kicks 6 handballs 19 disposals 7 marks 8 tackles

Casey Scorpions 5.3.33 9.7.61 14.11.95 21.15.141

Collingwood 2.1.13 3.3.21 5.6.36 7.9.51

Goals

Casey Scorpions Goals Hughes Spencer 3 Best Byrnes Couch Hogan Jetta 2 Drew Gawn Gent Petropoulos Magner

Collingwood Broomhead 2 Clarke Hudson Mooney Paine

Best

Casey Scorpions Couch Magner L Tynan Hogan Davis Spencer

Collingwood Mooney Allan Yagmoor Broomhead Riddle Hellier

• Like 2

yeah, and he was offered a 5 year. 6 million dollar contract which anyone would have taken

thanks for the report KC

And you think Freo wouldn't already be in his ear and prepard to throw a big offer likewise too good to refuse?

And you think Freo wouldn't already be in his ear and prepard to throw a big offer likewise too good to refuse?

Who cares , one things for sure, if he wants to leave were holding the cards, if he goes to the Eagles they can give us Shuey and Gaff, thats a mistake we made with Nic Nat, the club still holds the cards, those 2 clubs barely bottom out, so you can rule PSD out, but from what i saw yesterday and the way he leads and talks and encourages others, i will back him to be around long term.

Who cares , one things for sure, if he wants to leave were holding the cards, if he goes to the Eagles they can give us Shuey and Gaff, thats a mistake we made with Nic Nat, the club still holds the cards, those 2 clubs barely bottom out, so you can rule PSD out, but from what i saw yesterday and the way he leads and talks and encourages others, i will back him to be around long term.

Yes in saying all that a lot can changed. Patty Dangerfield on radio the other day said he was really homesick the first year or two but after a while once you build friendships with players, coaches etc its just to walk away..

I've found the VFL finals eligibility rules and posted them on a separate thread for future reference - AFL listed player eligibility for VFL FINALS.

It seems to me that where you have a lowly club where necessity demands player changes, you're going to have less players qualifying because of the senior game number limits. At least that's how it seems from previous experience.