Some light at the end of the tunnel

Ted Lasso

Another "Pollyanna" thread. They come up every year. Sorry guys but I will not see positives until we string some wins together and gain some respect. Wins! Wins are the only way to taken seriously - that i9s the only stat that is worth shite.

Well no one is forcing you to read it or post on it.

Maybe leave it to those who want to

• Like 1

Haha... Have you watched any games? Either we ARE playing a zone and Neeld isn't telling, or we AREN'T meant to be playing a zone and Neeld is failing, because we sure as hell ARE trying to play a zone.

Geezz....Stuie....We know what you feel about our coach......You don't have to crap on about it in every thread......It's getting boring ......

• Like 3

We are one of the best teams for effectiveness inside 50.

We are one of the worst teams for getting it inside 50.

There may be a light, but it's a bloody long tunnel...

Which tells us what we already know. We actually do have some forwards, but our midfield is poor and can't get the ball to them often enough to matter. We have improved this in the last two rounds, but not enough. They are also allowing too many i50s to the opposition, making our defence look worse than it is.

• Like 1

I don't think "Coauch" and "Manger" will be the midfield saviours. Handy depth players, but if they are regular 22 we are not getting anywhere.

Don't be so quick to pigeon-hole players Stuie. Remember when everyone was saying Jones is just a grunt and would never be anything more? Now he is our best mid by a mile and not just cos we barely have a midfield - he'd be quality in any team.

I reckon these guys could still be good quality players if they keep up their work ethic. I don't think anyone on the list would match Magners drive and appetite for hard work and those qualities should never ever be underestimated.

No, it's not.

Ranked last in disposals

Ave losing margin 50

Percentage 67.49

2013 (So far)

Ranked last in disposals

Aver losing margin 87.25

Percentage 57.16%

Last year we scored over 100 twice

135 against GWS with clark and rivers each kicking 4 goals

108 against GCS with brad green kicking 5 goals

our highest score against a non expansion team was 84

So far in 2013 we have scored 83 and 94 against non expansion teams and 144 against GWS without a power forward dominating

this would suggest our offence has improved significantly.

the fact we had a bad first two rounds and a bad third quarter against west coast costs us stats which provide the numbers you have posted but don't really reflect any of the improvement i have just shown.

Another "Pollyanna" thread. They come up every year. Sorry guys but I will not see positives until we string some wins together and gain some respect. Wins! Wins are the only way to taken seriously - that i9s the only stat that is worth shite.

So we should have no positive threads BBO and instead stick to bitching and moaning threads until then? FFS, where's the razor blade, put us out of our misery if that's the case.

• Like 2

Which tells us what we already know. We actually do have some forwards, but our midfield is poor and can't get the ball to them often enough to matter. We have improved this in the last two rounds, but not enough.

Not really.

We average 43 inside 50s this year, against Brisbane we had 47. Not much improvement.

Last year we scored over 100 twice

135 against GWS with clark and rivers each kicking 4 goals

108 against GCS with brad green kicking 5 goals

our highest score against a non expansion team was 84

So far in 2013 we have scored 83 and 94 against non expansion teams and 144 against GWS without a power forward dominating

this would suggest our offence has improved significantly.

the fact we had a bad first two rounds and a bad third quarter against west coast costs us stats which provide the numbers you have posted but don't really reflect any of the improvement i have just shown.

Our percentage was better last year. We might be kicking higher scores (as is everybody) but we're allowing higher scores too. That's not improvement.

Ref: http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/04/24/afl-scoring-on-the-rise-in-2013-season/

So we should have no positive threads BBO and instead stick to bitching and moaning threads until then? FFS, where's the razor blade, put us out of our misery if that's the case.

Positivity! Jesus I love positivity! It's just that I have seen nothing to make me positive. OR, likely to be positive in the foreseeable future. We are going backwards FFS. I'll keep fantasy to my sex life.

And Moon, if you're not careful I'll post that picture again.

I don't want him to fail, I like Magner, I'm just hoping our team/list will improve enough that he won't be good enough to be regular 22.

Hope you get where I'm coming from?

I understand you want the list to improve, but I think counterproductive/unrealistic to want it to improve without your rookies and drafts developing and being a part of a future 22.

Thats how teams change and become better in the first place... because of new talent coming through. They also bring forward benefits such as possibility of better leadership, harder work rates ect.

Hoping the same list improves without new talent comes in is wishfull thinking...

I understand you want the list to improve, but I think counterproductive/unrealistic to want it to improve without your rookies and drafts developing and being a part of a future 22.

Thats how teams change and become better in the first place... because of new talent coming through. They also bring forward benefits such as possibility of better leadership, harder work rates ect.

Hoping the same list improves without new talent comes in is wishfull thinking...

Where did I say without talent coming in? I said I was hoping Magner wouldn't be in our best 22 after our trade/draft period. We'll be going midfield crazy this offseason.

Same might be said of Tynan & Taggart - the invisibles

Weedster, I'm much more positive about what Tynan and particularly Taggert can bring to the table as opposed to Magner and Couch, primarily because of their capacity to use the ball well. Taggert is exceptional in this area...well, very good.

Don't be so quick to pigeon-hole players Stuie. Remember when everyone was saying Jones is just a grunt and would never be anything more? Now he is our best mid by a mile and not just cos we barely have a midfield - he'd be quality in any team.

I reckon these guys could still be good quality players if they keep up their work ethic. I don't think anyone on the list would match Magners drive and appetite for hard work and those qualities should never ever be underestimated.

As I've said to PJ, I'm not putting down those guys, I'm just hoping we get some midfield stars this offseason and they will push a few out.

Our percentage was better last year. We might be kicking higher scores (as is everybody) but we're allowing higher scores too. That's not improvement.

Ref: http://www.theroar.com.au/2013/04/24/afl-scoring-on-the-rise-in-2013-season/

We had a couple of bad games, that has dinted our percentage a fair bit, can't be ignored but i am more concerned with where we are now.

it's not that we and everyone else is kicking bigger scores, it's that we are doing it without out best forwards or best forward set up, to me that says we have room to improve further in this area and when you combine that with a better midfield possibly next year we are heading on the right track.

We don't play a zone. Neeld and Craig have both said so in the past, and Neeld repeated it in the Press Conference (that everyone was so keen to dissect word by word) on the weekend.

Yet another anti-Neeld misconception based on a fallacy.

ok. what he understands a zone to be must be something different to what those watching the games understand a zone to be. Call it what you like, whatever it is called, it is there to be seen - and it doesn't work.

The Oxford Dictionary is a dictionary of "received standard English" - the meanings of words and terms is derived from usage. Plenty of supporters think that bad strategy is a zone, and they call it one. You, along with everyone else, know perfectly well what they are talking about, and citing somebody else's understanding of the term does not invalidate the supporters' usage of the term, nor the point they are making. Pseudo intellectualism, bingo.

We had a couple of bad games, that has dinted our percentage a fair bit, can't be ignored but i am more concerned with where we are now.

We've played Brisbane and GWS recently, wouldn't read too much into it.

Let's see vs Carlton this weekend.

We've played Brisbane and GWS recently, wouldn't read too much into it.

Let's see vs Carlton this weekend.

I'll be tipping us to win either way, might be wrong but that's fine.

Where did I say without talent coming in? I said I was hoping Magner wouldn't be in our best 22 after our trade/draft period. We'll be going midfield crazy this offseason.

As I've said to PJ, I'm not putting down those guys, I'm just hoping we get some midfield stars this offseason and they will push a few out.

When I said talent coming in clearly I meant coming through our developing rookies which is what you have been talking about.

Lol some serious daichotomies here: the club gets criticised for not having a midfield, we get flogged because we dont have a midfield, you say we desperately need some help in the midfield but now we shouldnt want our developing midfielders such as Magner and Couch to be in our 22 because there are too many of them, you want the whole list to get better and want to draft other midfield stars...

tumblr_lxrlpwtGP11r4etbjo1_500.gif

Edited by PJ_12345

When I said talent coming in clearly I meant coming through our developing rookies which is what you have been talking about.

Lol some serious daichotomies here: the club gets criticised for not having a midfield, we get flogged because we dont have a midfield, you say we desperately need some help in the midfield but now we shouldnt want our developing midfielders such as Magner and Couch to be in our 22 because there are too many of them, you want the whole list to get better and want to draft other midfield stars...

Seriously mate, take some time to comprehend what I'm saying...

I like Magner and Couch, but they would not be regular 22 in a top midfield. I want a top midfield.

You've been talking about developing rookies, not me. I see rookies as a bonus or calculated gamble, the draft/trade period is where you usually get champions.

The light at the end of the tunnel is Peter Jackson starts work tomorrow.

This may mean we go after a proven experienced coach.

I am ok if Neeld stays on as an assistant but i have had enough of rookie coaches.

Last sunday sealed it.

Nobody tagged Beamer....Why the F@&$k not Mark???

Enough.

• Like 2

Well no one is forcing you to read it or post on it.

Maybe leave it to those who want to

I'm happy to read the thread but also point out where there are flaws in the logic. If you don't like it to bad, it's what a forum is all about.

There is a glimmer of light at the moment but it's certainly got nothing to do with the scoreboard, that's just coach speak when you don't want to tell anyone what you are really thinking.

It starts with Jackson tomorrow and the next 6 months are going to make for interesting times.

On ground Big Max is a positive, I hope he can stay fit because after just 6 games he looks a real player.

Hogan is a positive as is Viney when fit.

I have hopes that Kent and Taggert will add another candle by the end of the year.

Other than that there is not a lot of positive news, we are pretty bad plain and simple.

• Like 1