Watts back, beard gone and salvation is on its way.

Whispering_Jack

I, for the lad's sake, hope he moves on at the end of the year. It's clearly not working for him at the MFC. The expectations were unrealistic to start off with and people are now just bitter and vindictive. Jack Watts will never be a great Melbourne footballer, simple as that. The club and Jack need to come to this realization and part ways.

I, for the lad's sake, hope he moves on at the end of the year. It's clearly not working for him at the MFC. The expectations were unrealistic to start off with and people are now just bitter and vindictive. Jack Watts will never be a great Melbourne footballer, simple as that. The club and Jack need to come to this realization and part ways.

He was in our best players yesterday, and he still cops this crap every week from so called supporters.

• Like 2

He was in our best players yesterday, and he still cops this crap every week from so called supporters.

yep

draft day = this guy is going to carry our side for a decade

round 3 = we should have picked ollie wines

couple of years in = worst player ever to play the game, castrate and delist him, I hate my life

about as much spine as a jellyfish most of the people on here

• Like 2

I thought I saw him get crunched going back for a mark in the first half. That was more like what we want to see. Body on the line when it's his turn. He can do it, but he has to want the contest.

Also saw his flat footed chase in the first half. Was screaming at the TV for Jack to do more than jog. However, I saw MANY Melbourne players ambling along at half rat power behind Bris players today, and in qtr 2 and 3 last week against GWS. Stumbling around like lost drunks. Surely when they do video reviews this is shown to them. No chase, no pressure. Must be embarrassed when they see it played back. It can't be fitness when it's in the first half.

yeah, I remember saying the same thing about Cale Morton 2yrs ago.

I was saying give Cale some slack,,, he'll be right... Well, we know how right how tuned out,,,, right out the door.

Last year of contract I believe.

I think this is the problem, they want to keep him in the team as he's nearly out of contract...

if he was @ carlton, he'd be learning in the Northern Blues team,,, & they would disguise it from him, as 'we want you to learn our playing style'.

Living in Brisbane I don't get to go to anymore than 3 or 4 games a year and yesterday was my first for the year.

I watched Jack Watts present an option while Frawley was taking a kick in. He cantered at little more than a walk about 30 metres out from goal, with his arms out as if to say 'why aren't you kicking me the ball?'...well jack, maybe that is because you are going at walking pace and haven't even made a metre gap from your opponent.

Was unbelievably lazy and pretty much sums up my thoughts on Jacks intensity or lack thereof.

Living in Brisbane I don't get to go to anymore than 3 or 4 games a year and yesterday was my first for the year.

I watched Jack Watts present an option while Frawley was taking a kick in. He cantered at little more than a walk about 30 metres out from goal, with his arms out as if to say 'why aren't you kicking me the ball?'...well jack, maybe that is because you are going at walking pace and haven't even made a metre gap from your opponent.

Was unbelievably lazy and pretty much sums up my thoughts on Jacks intensity or lack thereof.

Wow, now that's an in depth summary of Watt's game.

I too watched Watt's play yesterday. He was in our top 6 players but still gets eaten on here. Lower your expectations. He's no star. He should play high half forward/wing and be told to run all day. He could drop nack into a hole in defence, receive on the wing and hit Clark/Dawes/Howe lace out. It's his perfect role, I'm flabbergasted the coaches don't use him this way.

I'm not trying to slag him off in this post (though that might be hard to believe). I feel that this really is a case of square peg in the round hole. A situation that just has been bad from minute 1. The MFC have made Jack Watts into something he was not. Jack Watts has gotten his games too easily (he was handy yesterday but I think you want a number one draft picks to have more than a handy game) and as dee-luded puts it, he went straight from high school to the head office, without having to work on the shop floor. I also think that because he was part of the class of 2008-2010, he was fed all this 'wait till 3 years time!' crap which reinforced in him the idea that the present wasn't as important as the future, resulting in the lackadaisical efforts we see today.

I hope he can turn it all around. I hope he can do it at Melbourne. I would love for him to do it at Melbourne. I just don't think it will happen for myriad reasons and it will be best for both parties to move on.

This doesnt want body contact thing is a total fallacy.

I saw him hit a couple of packs pretty hard yesterday.

Must have been the poor cameras at the gabba (absolutely horrible) because I only saw 2 contested marks and 0 tackles... we are talking about Watts right?

Edited by PJ_12345

also the fact that the players won't kick it to you speaks Louder than anything...

the team started to stop somewhere around the 20 minute mark of the 1st Qtr,,,, after (1) or (2) players showed little Mojo, & Vigour for the ball & the contest,, & to run & carry & "Create" some movement, to help the players upfield know watt to expect from the so called player with the ball.

the lack of certainty & urgency from 1 player,,, caused others further upfield to Lose their Intensity, & as a result, running & energy levels drop off across the field... then the Lions made us their [censored]....... & thats all she howled.

Don't recall this, but I'd say that if he ran full pelt at someone kicking it to him 30 metres away, he'd end up standing on his toes. It's to create a space behind him for a team-mate to run into to receive the kick-out, and puts the defender in two minds about whether they cover the short kick to him or the longer kick to someone behind, which it obviously did because you say the defender was right on him. This is a common basic kick-out strategy for most teams, tho it relies on someone else to work out what's happening and run into the space.

Seriously, some of the garbage posted about JW these days is unbelievable.

I was saying give Cale some slack,,, he'll be right... Well, we know how right how tuned out,,,, right out the door.

Yes, but JW has more upside than Cale ever had. Cale has little skill and no idea/vision about creating play. He's not 197cm, 92kg or quick for his size (though you'd be forgiven for thinking the same of this with Jack yesterday). If Cale got crunched 2 yrs ago the way Jack was on Sunday, he'd still be in hospital, DL. I agree with you on the Cale Moreton bit.

Don't recall this, but I'd say that if he ran full pelt at someone kicking it to him 30 metres away, he'd end up standing on his toes. It's to create a space behind him for a team-mate to run into to receive the kick-out, and puts the defender in two minds about whether they cover the short kick to him or the longer kick to someone behind, which it obviously did because you say the defender was right on him. This is a common basic kick-out strategy for most teams, tho it relies on someone else to work out what's happening and run into the space.

Seriously, some of the garbage posted about JW these days is unbelievable.

No that was not the reason. He was clearly frustrated his 'effort' wasn't honoured. I am not in the delist Watts camp. I think he is best 22, but he will never be any better than an average player until he develops more urgency in his game. Anyone who can't see that is delusional.

He was from our worst yesterday but he can be so much more, and I for one, don't really want to just accept that a sublimely talented first pick is going to be a skilful bit part player for the rest of his career.

Wow, now that's an in depth summary of Watt's game.

I too watched Watt's play yesterday. He was in our top 6 players but still gets eaten on here. Lower your expectations. He's no star. He should play high half forward/wing and be told to run all day. He could drop nack into a hole in defence, receive on the wing and hit Clark/Dawes/Howe lace out. It's his perfect role, I'm flabbergasted the coaches don't use him this way.

When did I say I was giving an in-depth summary of his game. It was one simple bit of play which sums up what I don't like about his game. Of course he did some good things yesterday, because he does certain things brilliantly such as use the footy.

And no, I won't lower my expectations of him.

The difference is he is much better with the ball in his hands than Cale, if they let him settle he will be ok. I see him as a 3rd forward spending some time through the midfield.

Posted this in the changes vs Carlton thread -

Watched the replay

Jack Watts is marked so harshly by the people on here, including me.

First quarter he stands in the hole and shows great courage to take the mark and get absolutely crunched.

He got no credit for it from anyone on this forum, yet it was gutsy and courageous as hell.

He was also chasing multiple opponents numerous times, not his fault, where were his teammates? No wonder he could barely run, he looked stuffed.

Went forward in the 3rd and took some nice grabs and kicked 2 goals and looked at home, I wonder why? Because thats his natural position. Neeld is an idiot for ever moving him back.

no way should he be dropped, there was at least 11 or 12 worse players than him yesterday.

Play him forward from now on Neeld you moron

• Like 2

Seriously damning footage of his "chases" on the weekend was just shown On the Couch. Embarrassing to be honest, especially when they compared it to a chase by Puopolo.

It's a crime for a guy with his skills to be seemingly so lacking in tenacity and hunger. Is it a simple case of him being Melbourned? He's too good to give up on yet, but something needs to change soon or he'll be off to a club that DEMANDS certain standards, and he will flourish.

Seriously damning footage of his "chases" on the weekend was just shown On the Couch. Embarrassing to be honest, especially when they compared it to a chase by Puopolo.

It's a crime for a guy with his skills to be seemingly so lacking in tenacity and hunger. Is it a simple case of him being Melbourned? He's too good to give up on yet, but something needs to change soon or he'll be off to a club that DEMANDS certain standards, and he will flourish.

Get some context though. He was the ONLY player chasing and he was buggered! Bet there wasn't footage of any other MFC players chasing.

Every.

Single.

Melbourne.

Player.

Is.

Like.

That.

I'm not big on Watts but that's nitpicking. It's like that at evert kick-in, no matter who is presenting.

Sometimes I think people fail to actually understand how bad this team is.

Get some context though. He was the ONLY player chasing and he was buggered! Bet there wasn't footage of any other MFC players chasing.

Sure, and I'm not saying he's the only one, but there were a few instances in the game.

Watts could be a huge player in terms of the scope for on field leadership. Like it or hate it, he's a name player who can make statements for the team and the supporters. He's falling well short of that.

I agree with you on this 'stuie', and he has become an easy target for these DH's. They seem so smart when they take some footage in isolation which you can do from any game on any player to prove the same point. It's a bit like stats.

• Like 1