A LITTLE WIN by The Oracle

Demonland

It doesn't happen often that a team can lose a game by a margin in excess of 15 goals and still describe it as a "percentage booster" but such is the mediocrity of the Melbourne Football Club at the present time that this is precisely what happened when the Demons took on the West Coast Eagles at the MCG for their Round 3, 2013 visit to purgatory.

Not only that, but the game afforded coach Mark Neeld the opportunity of claiming "a little win" which was how he described Melbourne's response to a week that began with a train wreck crushing at the hands of a team of suspected druggies, was followed by the public execution of the club's CEO at the bidding of the AFL, a disappearing trick when the lads bonded at the Hotel Sorrento followed by a closed training session at Casey Fields and a rousing final training run at Gosch's Paddock.

The result was another tragic, unacceptable soul destroying loss but at least it was by less than 100 points. The team looked reasonably competitive for most of the first half, led by 9 points halfway through the second term when Jeremy Howe goaled, trailed by only 10 (points) at the half and even booted its highest score for the season but it also bled profusely in the third quarter giving away 11 goals to the rampant Eagles.

Which brings me to Hotel Sorrento which is also the name of an Aussie movie about a family forced to confront their own demons and in covering that subject the film takes us through an exploration of the word "melancholy" - one that a reviewer claimed "perfectly suits Hotel Sorrento's tone and pace".

The word also perfectly suits the place in which the Melbourne Football Club and its supporters are situated at the present time. We are deluded if we think that after two games in a season, the removal of the CEO by a hatchet mob is going to achieve anything. Make him responsible for failings which you can sheet home to him if they exist but the heroics of those who anonymously attacked him behind keyboards and secretive firewalls is not going to achieve a single thing on the field but weaken us off it.

What Melbourne needs is more players with the ability to run and spread, with skills, determination and mature bodies to compete for 120 minutes and not 45. It won't happen overnight and perhaps Neeld is right in claiming his tiny victory but there are not enough of the vital ingredients that instil success at the present time to make enough of a difference. The signs were there when the Eagles were able to score freely at the end of each of the first two quarters that the landslide to come was inevitable.

In the early stages, Nathan Jones was the instigator wininng 17 disposals up to half time on his way to 28 for the game. Jack Viney again showed his great potential despite an early ankle injury. The inclusion of Rohan Bail and the return after more than a year out of Michael Evans have the team some more run. Neville Jetta, while not outstanding, added the grunt and determination. The team was more balanced this week but it needs more oomph from the likes of James Frawley and Colin Garland in defence. I don't understand the exile to the stands of Jack Watts before moving him forward at least one time to see if he can do something in the place where he once earned # 1 draft selection. But then again, I don't understand much of what is happening at the Melbourne Football Club lately. All I know is that next week we need to see a win and it must not be tiny.

Melbourne 4.1.25 9.2.56 10.3.63 13.5.83

West Coast Eagles
5.3.33 10.6.66 21.9.135 27.15.177

Goals

Melbourne
Clark 3 Sylvia Trengove 2 Byrnes Davey Evans Howe Sellar Tapscott

West Coast Darling Kennedy 5 Cox Hams LeCras 3 Sinclair 2 Cripps Embley Gaff Hill Hurn Masten

Best

Melbourne
N Jones Sylvia Viney M Jones Grimes Terlich

West Coast Kennedy Cox Darling Priddis Masten Hurn

Changes

Melbourne
Nil

West Coast Waters (calf) replaced in selected side by Jacob Brennan

Injuries

Melbourne Bail (concussion)

West Coast Hams (lower leg)

Reports Nil

Umpires Harris Pannell Fisher

Official crowd 18,571 at the MCG

• Like 2

If you want to identify the root of the problem, try looking at the peole who are running the club. They have turned us into a basket case, but urge us all to remain united and stay the course. If it wasn't so serious it would be funny.

MFC, the blind leading the blind.

• Like 3

If you want to identify the root of the problem, try looking at the peole who are running the club. They have turned us into a basket case, but urge us all to remain united and stay the course. If it wasn't so serious it would be funny.

MFC, the blind leading the blind.

"We're losing by so much because we have a plan."

"But the team is just awf...."

"WE HAVE A PLAN!" *slams fist on table*

• Like 1

"We're losing by so much because we have a plan."

"But the team is just awf...."

"WE HAVE A PLAN!" *slams fist on table*

Bailey had a plan

Gardner had a plan

Schwab had a plan

Dosnt mean anything when you get thumped week in week out.

Maybe they gotta scrap their plans and understand the here and now.

We are a laughing stock.

Bailey had a plan

Gardner had a plan

Schwab had a plan

Dosnt mean anything when you get thumped week in week out.

Maybe they gotta scrap their plans and understand the here and now.

We are a laughing stock.

"the heroics of those who anonymously attacked him behind keyboards and secretive firewalls is not going to achieve a single thing on the field but weaken us off it."

See above. And they talk about blind.

"the heroics of those who anonymously attacked him behind keyboards and secretive firewalls is not going to achieve a single thing on the field but weaken us off it."

See above. And they talk about blind.

Cmon bing. When the president says things will remain the same even tho we are getting humiliated, it raises some rebellious angst in passionate and loyal lifelong supporters.

haves brainstrust have routinely demonstrated their lack of judgement when appointing key figures to run our club.

Do I have to re-hash gleing examples of poor judgement. The results of which can be seen each time the demons take the field.

You say I am contributing to the de-stabilization of the club, I say I am actively trying to instigate a regime change, politically and in the fd.

Sorry I can't sit down and quietly accept this crap, with the unity message being peddled so strong. Who are we united behind? Who is our leader? I can't find one bing, except the viney clan, certain hard-core players and maybe Craig. The rest are failures and need to be replaced.

• Like 1

Cmon bing. When the president says things will remain the same even tho we are getting humiliated, it raises some rebellious angst in passionate and loyal lifelong supporters.

haves brainstrust have routinely demonstrated their lack of judgement when appointing key figures to run our club.

Do I have to re-hash gleing examples of poor judgement. The results of which can be seen each time the demons take the field.

You say I am contributing to the de-stabilization of the club, I say I am actively trying to instigate a regime change, politically and in the fd.

Sorry I can't sit down and quietly accept this crap, with the unity message being peddled so strong. Who are we united behind? Who is our leader? I can't find one bing, except the viney clan, certain hard-core players and maybe Craig. The rest are failures and need to be replaced.

Who with?

Who with?

If i knew, Id be president.

But it dosnt take a brain surgeon to realize that we shouldnt have given an inexperienced coach and inexperienced captains the responsibility of building a new club culture. The odds were stacked against us before we had even begun. you think they would have learnt after the first big mistake with Bailey.

Edited by tonatopia