MFC - I Urge you to Buy the Elsternwick Hotel

dee-luded

No thanks.

Worth too much money - I'm guessing several million. Would need to spend a bit to renovate to a reasonable standard. If the Pies can't make a fist of running a bunch of pubs and poke venues with all of their cash and resources, I wouldN't want us doing the same.

Where would this cash come from? Let's make a success of our current assets before going into significant debt again.

Maybe you could buy it for the club.......

Edited by Moonshadow

With the Changing World, the .05% alcohol limits, credit crisis on it's knees, & the possibility of the past credit driven economies since the early 70's going into reverse, a central base with Plenty of Public transport infrastructure IMO is essential.

In tomorrows world it seems that fuel prices will continue the upward spiral & cities around the world are putting more pressure on motorcars.

We need a Social Base with Front! We as supporters need a decent Social Hub where we can meet & mingle, dineout, play the One Armed Bandits for some, join in a round of golf with fellow Dees, watch Games & cheer for our changing fortunes coming.

IMO there is No other location up to this one, although I am currently living the country life.

I strongly believe this could be our unifying Hub. It's easy enough for people along any of the Sandringham, Frankston, & Dandenong trainline communities to attend.

For supporters living around Sth Yarra or Toorak areas, Trams or an easy drive or Cab up Hotham St.

Caulfield & Carnegie areas are well served by trams along Glenhuntly Rd.

The sporting facilities near the Hotel are ideal for us to become involved with for footy & for social interests of members year round.

l.jpg

http://maps.google.c...F-8&sa=N&tab=il

I'd like to hear what others thinking is, re a Social Hub for supporters to gather together.

You're a bit "left of Lenin" aren't ya with that subtle rant of prelude you have there.

That part of Elsternwick hasn't been the same since they got rid of the dine-in Pizza Hut. All you can eat dessert FTW!

Seriously though, the Elsternwick Club on Sandham St is clearly ahead of the Elsternwick Hotel for a half decent meal.

The food quality has nothing to do with it. Thats just the chef thats employed.

To start a club the location is key, supported by the ability to get people there, & for them to get home easily.

From there you have a healthy starting point, surely, as long as you have a desirable product the people want? I think things MFC is a desirable starting point for us, depending on the locality.

MFC would be much better served buying a family cafe/restaurant/bar than a pub. Pubs are a risky investment at the best of times, and as i said earlier, all the big hospitality companies are struggling.

again stuie, the pub isn't the desire

You're a bit "left of Lenin" aren't ya with that subtle rant of prelude you have there.

Lol, HaHaHa, who's Lenin. the only Lenin I like is John.

Me, I'm Left of the right wing. I'd call it the middle.

And not a rant, a belief that the brief sojourn of the credit cycle of 40 odd Yrs is dusted.

Edited by dee-luded

Then why suggest buying it? Why would MFC undertake a massive financial risk like that? Just so we can say there's an MFC club? What's the point?!

Because I think we could setup a Social hub & Bar over the road on public land, green space. I think it may well be very difficult at this point to get a Liquor Licence & Pokies Licence on that green space directly across the road, where the Social club would Ideally be situated, looking directly Over (2 stories) the footy ground & over the Bowls Greens.

This gives prospective supporters plenty to do IN season & out of Footy season. To me a desirable membership package. Footy, Golf, Bowls, Tennis, Bistro etc.

The Pub has the licences!

Because I think we could setup a Social hub & Bar over the road on public land, green space. I think it may well be very difficult at this point to get a Liquor Licence & Pokies Licence on that green space directly across the road, where the Social club would Ideally be situated, looking directly Over (2 stories) the footy ground & over the Bowls Greens.

This gives prospective supporters plenty to do IN season & out of Footy season. To me a desirable membership package. Footy, Golf, Bowls, Tennis, Bistro etc.

And how do we finance it during the week when it is empty???\

Which it will be....Nobody goes into the 'Wick during the week.

Mate, seriously, going down that path is a terrible idea. Licensing is a MASSIVE hassle and has been the reason so many venues have closed down, and they're not a permanent thing, they are constantly monitored and changed and are going up in cost every year, you wouldn't believe how expensive it is to run a pub now. Besides, people don't go to a certain venue just because it's affiliated with their footy club, they choose venues due to them being local, having quality food etc, and having a safe, friendly environment.

Look, I like the idea of there being a place where events can be held, interstate or even night games shown where kids get to see them, and even hopefully make some revenue, but this is not the go.

Edited by stuie

went threre earlier this year for the first time in decades - it was a dump then - it's a dump now.

no interest

Dee-luded, are you the current owner and you are trying to get rid of a lemon?

The place is a dump.

Don't know where you toffs go, or if you're just bagging it to seem like you have higher standards than the average, but the Elsternwick is pretty standard as far as local pubs go.

Don't know where you toffs go, or if you're just bagging it to seem like you have higher standards than the average, but the Elsternwick is pretty standard as far as local pubs go.

Settle down sweetheart, I am allowed an opinion on a run down pub. Hardly makes me a toff.

But if it makes you feel better, I drive a range rover and live in the inner east.

Settle down sweetheart, I am allowed an opinion on a run down pub. Hardly makes me a toff.

But if it makes you feel better, I drive a range rover and live in the inner east.

I drive a 4WD and live in the inner east too, still think you're trying to hard to impress people with your pub snobbery.

I drive a 4WD and live in the inner east too, still think you're trying to hard to impress people with your pub snobbery.

Yeah, but my 4WD is better and my house is bigger and more inner east than your inner east smaller house with your older 4WD parked in the drive.

Hope that impresses you. Cause I get off on trying to impress Demonlanders with snobbery.

Yeah, but my 4WD is better and my house is bigger and more inner east than your inner east smaller house with your older 4WD parked in the drive.

Hope that impresses you. Cause I get off on trying to impress Demonlanders with snobbery.

Haha first line's pretty good mate, credit for that.

And how do we finance it during the week when it is empty???\

Which it will be....Nobody goes into the 'Wick during the week.

I not a businessman, I don't have the i's & the t's. Thats why I've put it up for discussion.

I want to see how much passion there would be for a locally centered social hub, with Plenty of public transport, but I can see people cant see the vision for the other things like what the pub has been.

I'm surprised that theres not more desire for a get along venue with training oval & other facilities.

I still want to know why DL is obsessed with that area??

There is no parking around the whole area because 8 lanes of Nepean Hwy/St.Kilda Rd disects it..

Fascinates me!!

Edited by why you little

I still want to know why DL is obsessed with that area??

There is no parking around the whole area because 8 lanes of Nepean Hwy/St.Kilda Rd disects it..

Fascinates me!!

WYL I'm in construction, or used to be. It's not hard to dig up the car park & turn it into 2 levels with that slope.

But My reasoning isn't the Pub so much as across the road, is where I'd envisaged building the Social club, inbetween the Bowling Greens & the Footy Oval. There would be more than enough parking over there.

And all the transport required.

The reason the club wants the Bentleigh club moved, is for a higher Visability site, if I'm not mistaken. Passing traffic.

I want to see how much passion there would be for a locally centered social hub

Local to who though?

If you're looking for a "centered social hub", much better to do it in one of the fast growing areas in the South East, Glen Waverly is considered a central spot as far as growth and general population goes if that's your main criteria.

• Like 1

Local to who though?

If you're looking for a "centered social hub", much better to do it in one of the fast growing areas in the South East, Glen Waverly is considered a central spot as far as growth and general population goes if that's your main criteria.

That locality was close to most of our support base, with easy public transport for all from SthYarra to Beaumaris, to Carnegie/Caulfield.

Glen Waverley may be considered close to center of Melbourne, but is poorly serviced by public transport.

WYL I'm in construction, or used to be. It's not hard to dig up the car park & turn it into 2 levels with that slope.

But My reasoning isn't the Pub so much as across the road, is where I'd envisaged building the Social club, inbetween the Bowling Greens & the Footy Oval. There would be more than enough parking over there.

And all the transport required.

The reason the club wants the Bentleigh club moved, is for a higher Visability site, if I'm not mistaken. Passing traffic.

The passing traffic passes at about 90 kmh...Have you tried to cross the Hwy lately??

Right up there with Ho Chi Minh City!

What you propose would cost $ Millions DL..and we would not get that $$$ back..

I would love a social club of sorts too, but not there.

Have a small club in the CBD if you must..

Still prefer the idea of hiring on a need basis...Venues are not the $$$$ Cows they were.

• Like 1

That locality was close to most of our support base, with easy public transport for all from SthYarra to Beaumaris, to Carnegie/Caulfield.

Glen Waverley may be considered close to center of Melbourne, but is poorly serviced by public transport.

I think you're getting a bit sucked in by the stereotype of MFC supporters. I reckon you'd find we have a lot more supporters living in the suburbs, particularly East/South East, than we do around South Yarra and Brighton like you seem to think.

I'm not saying we should do something around Glen Waverly, Hawthorn already have a pretty good grip around that area, we would be better aiming for Blackburn out to Croydon way if we were considering such things.

• Like 1

The passing traffic passes at about 90 kmh...Have you tried to cross the Hwy lately??

Right up there with Ho Chi Minh City!

What you propose would cost $ Millions DL..and we would not get that $$$ back..

I would love a social club of sorts too, but not there.

Have a small club in the CBD if you must..

Still prefer the idea of hiring on a need basis...Venues are not the $$$$ Cows they were.

I don't think the people would go there, the CBD. I wouldn't.

So i think it shows me what i'm looking for in a social scene is different fro many others needs.

I'm looking for a more inclusive & involved tribal community sort of thing, closer to what was once considered a club.

It's looking more like a comet steaming off into the ether.

So I think this is helping me make some tough decisions for what I need, re finding the community where I want to settle, & maybe it doesn't need to be so close to footy.

I'm feeling further removed from the club & it's destiny.

Many people in the Construction game queried me as to why I barracked for this club. I was stunned with they're questions & I was naive to the environment the club seems to be built around.

I'm now starting to understand what it was they're thoughts were.

After all, I am if nothing else, an Egalitarian.