2012 London Olympics

Macca

GOLD ! Congratulations to our Men's K4 team in the Canoe/Kayak sprint .

Tate Smith , David Smith , Murray Stewart and Jacob Clear - CHAMPIONS !

149925686.jpg

4189042-3x2-700x467.jpg

Edited by Macca

Aussie medal chances tonight ...

9.00pm . Sailing . Men's 470 medal race

9.00pm . Swimming . Men's 10km marathon

10.00pm . Sailing . Women's 470 medal race (outside chance for a medal)

11.00pm . Sailing . SF's . Women's Elliot 6m .

Midnight . Cycling . SF's and Finals . Men's and Women's BMX

4.00am . Track & Field . Steve Hooker . Pole Vault .

For all other 'Aussies in Action' ...

http://www.london201...scomptoday.html

For the full days schedule ...

http://www.london2012.com/schedule-and-results/day=10-august/list.html

Edited by Macca

Silver medal to 16yo Brittany Broben in the Diving 10m platform . Fantastic achievement .

skynews_782038.jpg

And Congratulations to the 'Stingers' on their bronze medal .

GGT__L12_910A.jpg

More GOLD in the Sailing . This time to our 470 crew .

John Bertrand as Chairman of Selectors has got to be given some credit as well . Our Sailing team have done brilliantly .

But well done to Mathew Belcher and Malcolm Page - CHAMPIONS

1_mc4-belch_20120804065227217784-620x349.jpg

914555-470-class-sailors.jpg

Edited by Macca

Some superb gymnastics last night from the Eastern European girls .

The new batton throwing thing is awesome.

Some superb gymnastics last night from the Eastern European girls .

The new batton throwing thing is awesome.

See this is where you've gotta have alternatives - like cable :)

But you've reminded me of how some sports seem to get bigger (in the Olympics) and some struggle to get a look in . Money driven though Biffen . Softball should be in there (ulterior motive though !)

Tennis and Synchronised Swimming are 2 sports that sell out earlier than more traditional Olympic sports . TV audience demographics sway things as well (big time)

I'm not sure I would have had the patience to go with just Ch9's coverage . Though I have heard they've gone 'live' to an Aussie involvement most times (if not all) .

But leave me outa the 'Greco-Roman' wrestling and the 'Sword fighting' :-)

Edited by Macca

But leave me outa the 'Greco-Roman' wrestling and the 'Sword fighting' :-)

Where as I like to look at the stuff not usually seen.

Havent seen any of the Greco Roman or the Fencing but thats not to say I wouldn't watch if given the op.

Had a peak at the Archery early , that was surprisingly entertaining.

Abit of the Tae kwon do last night but was over that pretty soon.

That was due to the lack of intent from our fighter to score tho'.

Tuned in to watch the Pole Vault heats the other night and was confronted by our gun flouncing around convincing the officials that he only wanted to jump once before going into the final.

Anyway you can spare me sitting through Serena Williams or the Dream team winning another title.

I hear theres a push for Golf to become an Olympic sport.

Another high profile sport dominated by overpaid pros and one the Olympics can do without.

Where as I like to look at the stuff not usually seen.

Havent seen any of the Greco Roman or the Fencing but thats not to say I wouldn't watch if given the op.

Had a peak at the Archery early , that was surprisingly entertaining.

Abit of the Tae kwon do last night but was over that pretty soon.

That was due to the lack of intent from our fighter to score tho'.

Tuned in to watch the Pole Vault heats the other night and was confronted by our gun flouncing around convincing the officials that he only wanted to jump once before going into the final.

Anyway you can spare me sitting through Serena Williams or the Dream team winning another title.

I hear theres a push for Golf to become an Olympic sport.

Another high profile sport dominated by overpaid pros and one the Olympics can do without.

Yeah it's the same discussion every Olympics . 'To each his own' sorta thing .

Golf is in the Rio Olympics but just like the Tennis and the Soccer , it's not for everyone . Basketball has it's place IMO , but I can see the argument against it . Money talks , and the big broadcasting networks have a huge say in things .

There's a lot of other great sport to watch and if you've got the 8 foxtel channels you're spoilt for choice . If you're just getting the ch9 feed then it's a completely different argument .

ps Steve Hooker wasn't expected to medal and wasn't in very good form going into the Olympics . But many Aussies wouldn't have known this or chose to ignore the realities .

Edited by Macca

Aussies in medal events tonight ...

6.00pm . Men's 50km Walk .

7.00pm/4.30am . Diving . Men's 10m Platform . SF and Final .

7.35pm . Canoe Sprint . Men's K2 200m

9.30pm . Cycling . Women's Cross Country .

10.00pm . Sailing . Women's Elliott 6m Match race (best of 5). Australia / Spain . Gold/Silver event .

12.30am . Men's Hockey . Australia / Great Britain . Bronze playoff match .

2.00am . Women's Basketball . Australia / Russia . Bronze playoff match .

2.00am . Women's 20km Walk

5.55am . Track and Field . Men's 4 x 100m relay .

For all other 'Aussies in Action' ...

http://www.london201...scomptoday.html

And for today's full schedule ...

http://www.london201...ugust/list.html

Edited by Macca

Gotta love the walking.

Have you ever seen a more stupid sport?

Sorry to people who train for years for it but why?

Gotta love the walking.

Have you ever seen a more stupid sport?

Sorry to people who train for years for it but why?

Curling ? The 'Athletes' with their fast action brooms - that's a skill :wacko:

I reckon if you're gonna walk that far you might as well hit a golf ball for small amusements . Though Mark Twain once described golf as a good walk 'Spoiled' .

Edit : Take any sort of medal though , in any sport !

Edited by Macca

ps Steve Hooker wasn't expected to medal and wasn't in very good form going into the Olympics . But many Aussies wouldn't have known this or chose to ignore the realities .

I knew what his situation was .

I wanted to watch someone jump , any-one.

Edited by My TD

I knew what his situation was .

I wanted to watch someone jump , any-one.

Not a bloke running around trying to manipulate the officials to get a cheap ride to the final.

Wasn't aware of all that . Just saw some highlights this morning . The Pole vault can take an age to complete , so much so that ch7 didn't show Steve's gold medal winning jump 'Live' (in '08) .

Some events just take too long . I'm flicking over to the 50km Walk - imagine commentating for 4 hours !

Edit : We're doing ok at the moment in the 'Walk' - I could be a convert !

Edited by Macca

Yeah , in the heats they had been jumping for 2 hrs tho' Hooker had only jumped once clearing 5.50 or something.

TV didn't tune in till they were farting about with officialdome.

Apparently they were jumping for 6hrs in 1 of the recent comps.

Just now much to my surprise I've been watching the sailing , and enjoying it.

Wonders never cease.

Australia and Spain 1 all in best of 5 for Gold.

Oop , here we go , hot chicks with bendy bodies doing rythmic gymnastics with Biffos fav the battons.

Better go.

Bugger me , thats was quick , 1 routine and back to the sailing.

Feel like the missus has the remote.

Edited by My TD

Silver medal to Jared Tallent in the 50km Walk . Great performance .

art-WALK-tallent-jared-620x349.jpg

And Silver to our Sailing Women's Elliott 6m class . Just edged out of Gold . Well done to Olivia Price , Nina Curtis and Lucinda Whitty .

2012-08-07T104052Z_1_CBRE8760TO600_RTROPTP_2_OLY-YACH-DAY1.JPG

Got done in the sailing 3 races to 2.

Bad luck girls , gave it a good shake in tough conditions.

Good racing wasn't it ? We've been able to look at a lot of 'Other' sports this time around .

Really liked the Archery and the BMX stuff was good too . Never watched these sports before .

All good .......well not quite 'All' :)

Edited by Macca