Why the heck did we recruit Brian Royal back!?

dazzledavey36

We exempt Neeld from blame for the debacle but we bake Royal when he has absolute dross (excluding Jones) to work with.

Demonland at its best.

I absolve him of nothing. Neeld is equally liable. But that doesn't change the fact that Royal's track record is ordinary.

Today I sat there at the game and for the 1st time I actually thought our midfield looks so slow and did think why is Royal coach. People are right when they said he stuffed up the backline that Wellman improved dramatically and when we got rawlings whose idea was it to move him to midfield. We should have cleaned out everyone and started frash or moved him to a admin job like they did with Josh.

We need someone younger and fresher but im not sure who. Maybe another robert harvey to help coach the midfield.

I was most surpised that of all the staff we kept choco. Cant say Ive ever been particualarly impressed by anything hes done, least of all now. Am obviously blind to his sublime talents, my bad !

Im not going to blame Neeld as hes not out there, he is accountable however and as the midfiled presence is non existant I have to ask wtf is choco up to ?

Im really at a loss to understand let alone fathom the minutae of what this band of rabble is up to..

Ive had more fun at the Dentist !!

We have gone backwards in all areas but its ironic that Royal is hung out by posters who wont have a clue to the extent of Royals involvement and exempts Neeld.

Neeld sets the game plan. Royal implements the midfield part. Aside from jones and possibly Trengove there is a complete absence of any class. I am not sure what a midfield coach can do with a complete absence of players with the requisite skill and class.

If only it was as simple as just sacking the midfield coach. Its isnt but I doubt you will figure it out.

• Like 1

I do know that at restarts after a goal, on several occasions, there were only 3 mfc players in the square - a 4th had to be called in (on 1 occasion, disastrously).

Sure this is a coaching thing? - Royal?

Whatever Royal's KPIs are, to the outsider, they seem to be non-existent.

We have gone backwards in all areas but its ironic that Royal is hung out by posters who wont have a clue to the extent of Royals involvement and exempts Neeld.

Neeld sets the game plan. Royal implements the midfield part. Aside from jones and possibly Trengove there is a complete absence of any class. I am not sure what a midfield coach can do with a complete absence of players with the requisite skill and class.

If only it was as simple as just sacking the midfield coach. Its isnt but I doubt you will figure it out.

Decent comment Rhino, just leave the last bit out. Remember you're a mod, with higher ideals to uphold. ^_^

Assuming you have an idea of Royals involvement, can it not be reasonable to suggest that he is not translating the game plan structures effectively enough? We are woeful at stoppages. There seems to be no communication or confidence in one-another.

If we cannot lay a fair portion of blame to a line coach then why the feck have him there to begin with.

Ed: structures

Edited by McQueen

We exempt Neeld from blame for the debacle but we bake Royal when he has absolute dross (excluding Jones) to work with.

Demonland at its best.

We currently have 9 coaches. As RR points out it is not the coaching but the cattle we put out to play.Jones ,Magner are the only 2 that are putting in.Trengove is playing like a dog, and the others to pathetic to mention.It is a sad case but we are just not up to it.

Assuming you have an idea of Royals involvement, can it not be reasonable to suggest that he is not translating the game plan structures effectively enough? We are woeful at stoppages. There seems to be no communication or confidence in one-another.

If we cannot lay a fair portion of blame to a line coach then why the feck have him there to begin with.

Any chance you have any actual evidence beyond uninformed perception?

And if you are going bake Royal, how can you exempt the forward line and defensive line coaches?

And unless you are close to the FD how would you know just how each individual coach is going.

As JCB said we have nine coaches on the list.

So put down your torches and throw away the noose.

I have yet to read on D'and over an informed or constructive assessment of assistant coaches. And this thread continues the standard....sadly

Any chance you have any actual evidence beyond uninformed perception?

And if you are going bake Royal, how can you exempt the forward line and defensive line coaches?

And unless you are close to the FD how would you know just how each individual coach is going.

As JCB said we have nine coaches on the list.

So put down your torches and throw away the noose.

I have yet to read on D'and over an informed or constructive assessment of assistant coaches. And this thread continues the standard....sadly

I was merely sharing an assumption but thanks for answering a question with questions.

I'm not on here to bake Royal either and I know we don't have the most skilled set of midfielders going around.

A monkey dressed in silk is a monkey no less.

I mentioned this is the post match thread yesterday.

"Just thinking .... Common denominator. Brian Royal, 2011 defensive coach our defense turned to [censored]. 2012 mid field coach our mid field turned to [censored] "

There are obvious downers in every area he has coached !!

Guest José Mourinho

I mentioned this is the post match thread yesterday.

"Just thinking .... Common denominator. Brian Royal, 2011 defensive coach our defense turned to [censored]. 2012 mid field coach our mid field turned to [censored] "

There are obvious downers in every area he has coached !!

You're confusing causality with coincidence.

Miles Sewell is part of the solution I think. Definitely worth a punt with a late pick, it is bewildering to think that no one has picked him up in the last few years.

Clearly the 18 Recruiting Chiefs and the hundreds of talent spotters that work under them disagree with your opinions. But thanks for the offer Miles.

Apportioning blame for our current malaise cannot rest solely on one coaches shoulders. However, having said that clearly our biggest weakness at the

moment is our midfield, its structure and accountability is almost non existent right now. The senior coach has the ultimate say, so he needs to be held just

as accountable.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Royal is coaching poison. Last year he crucified our defence after Wellman had built up a good defensive unit. This year he has turned his attention to our midfield. The results speak for themselves.

You have a serious case of "rose coloured glasses" re Wellman - suggest you go back to the scoreline during his tenure - our defense leaked goals like no other during the entire Bailey era, including the time when Wellman was there.

Our biggest problem currently is we don't get first use of the ball ... EVER !!! Suggest this is a combination of Jamar's ineffectiveness so far this year as much as our midfield set-up

I was merely sharing an assumption but thanks for answering a question with questions.

I'm not on here to bake Royal either and I know we don't have the most skilled set of midfielders going around.

OK. So you dont know and you have not answered my question. Well done.

And your scenario about Royal is possible as are a number of others. But to assume your scenario is the case without evidence and then draw conclusions based upon that aint brainstorming.

Royal's first Assistant job was at the Dogs in 1998. In 1999 the Club didn't go as well.

He joined Melbourne in 2000. In 2001 we weren't so hot.

He had a year with the Roos in 2004. The Club's performance was down on the previous year.

Brian was with Terry Wallet as Right-Hand Man in his 5 year plan. Enough said.

He rejoined Melbourne in 2011 and had very limited success as a Backline Coach .This year doesn't look good for us. Our mids are performing awfully. Royal is now our Midfield Coach.

I can see a pattern here, of course it could all be mere co-incidence.

And yeah, he was Development Coach at St Kilda in 2010. In 2011 the Club, which had made the last two Grand Finals was eliminated in the first week of the finals.

Edited by CHAMP

Our biggest problem currently is we don't get first use of the ball ... EVER !!! Suggest this is a combination of Jamar's ineffectiveness so far this year as much as our midfield set-up

First use of the Ball. Whatever it Takes....

We're stuck with him until his contract is done (end of this season???).

Agree though. Get someone in who actually played in premiership midfields and knows what they're doing.

P..s him off now The club could be out of business by the end of the year.Worst midfield in the league by far