Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sideshow Bob

Rather than Hijack the anyone for cricket thread which should be reserved for the Aussie side, thought I'd start a big bash thread

Obviously we all support Melbourne, so therefore by default we will support either the Stars or the Renegades and hope for a Stars v Rengades final - that is a given. However who has your allegiance

Stars lineup

George Bailey, James Faulkner, John Hastings, Jon Holland, David Hussey, Alex Keath, Clint McKay, James Pattinson, Rob Quiney, Peter Siddle, Chris Simpson, Adam Voges, Matthew Wade, Shane Warne, Cameron White ©. Overseas players: Jade Dernbach, Luke Wright. Coach: Greg Shipperd.

renegades line up

Ryan Carters, Aaron Finch, Shane Harwood, Aaron Heal, Jayde Herrick, Michael Hill, Brad Hodge, Graham Manou, Glenn Maxwell, Andrew McDonald, Brenton McDonald ©, Dirk Nannes, Nathan Reardon, Will Sheridan, Shaun Tait. Overseas players: Abdul Razzaq, Shahid Afridi. Coach: Simon Helmot.

Both look like exciting line up and my heart bleeds for my favorite Vic's - Huss, Sids, White throw in Pattinson and warne and you get excited. However McDonald(s), hodge, tait, nannies, Razzaq, Afridi, hardwood and Finch may just pip them for mine.

I for one can't wait for what will become the premier game of cricket in years to come, don't get me wrong I love test cricket - unfortunately it is dying and not a commercial success 20/20 will be the form of the game that stays alive for years to come

Wouldn't hit the "doom and gloom" button re Test cricket just yet "jako" . Whilst I agree T20 will be huge it might help Test cricket just like the 50 over game has .

Test cricket will survive and will probably get better aesthetically with run rates rising etc . And how about if Warner is successful at the 5 day game ? Already there has been a change of scheduling with the big 4 teams ( Australia , England , South Africa and India ) playing each other home and away over the next 3 years instead of over 4 years .

I remember people started saying that 50 over cricket would kill off Test cricket back in the late 1970's - It didn't . And the "Ashes" is just as big as it ever was . I love both forms of the game and am looking forward to watching the Tests vs India during the day and the "Big Bash" in the evenings - bring it on !!

As for the "Big Bash" I reckon most Victorians will "secretly" follow both Melbourne teams - Warnie playing is gonna be huge so get ready for some big crowds . I was at the Vics / Tassie game 2 years ago when 43,000 turned up - it was like a footy crowd ! I'm going to follow both teams as I cannot see myself wanting any interstate team beating a Victorian team . I may form an allegiance later on but for now ..............

Go the Renegades ! Go the Stars !

Edited by Nuggets

Stay away from 20/20. It's the cheap Take Away rather than a good Restaurant.

Look at Most Topline Batsmen today, they haven't got a clue how to dig in and see a bowler off.

Yes it pulls a theatre crowd, but it has little style IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

This is just so much fun ! Yeah I know it's not "Proper" cricket but who cares ? That catch by Steve Smith was a beauty !

Yep.... Apparently both Melbourne teams suck.

A good boxing day is all that is required to regain my faith in test cricket - plus a few hours listening to the 12th man! Then again once boxing day test is over, we will have all January to watch big bash games

858,000 watched the 1st game on Foxtel - that's huge numbers for a cable station in Australia .

http://www.smh.com.a...1218-1p0ra.html

The Big Bash "opponents" are going to have to put up with the "New kid on the block" .

We've already seen Warner and Lyon progress from t20 to Test cricket and there will be lots more like those 2 .

Edit : Forgot to mention Patrick Cummins played his first lot of games in the "Big Bash" .

In the UK they play over 150 games of t20 every season ( They've cut it back to around about 100 for the 2012 season but it's still a truckload more than the 30 odd we play in Australia ! ) Apparently they ditched a "poorly attended" 40 over comp to make room for the t20 comp so there effectively wasn't any "extra" cricket .

T20 certainly divides opinion and whilst I prefer Test cricket I like this version of cricket as well and ...................it's not going away in a hurry . Traditionalists need to accept it ( you don't have to like it of course ) .

Cricket boards the World over and the ICC need to find a way to manage all 3 versions of the game so that they all prosper . How they manage to do this is anybody's guess .

Edited by Macca

In the UK they play over 150 games of t20 every season ( They've cut it back to around about 100 for the 2012 season but it's still a truckload more than the 30 odd we play in Australia ! ) Apparently they ditched a "poorly attended" 40 over comp to make room for the t20 comp so there effectively wasn't any "extra" cricket .

Why they were playing Pro40 or whatever they called it, I have no idea.

Yep.... Apparently both Melbourne teams suck.

Harsh jako13.

I thought the recent T20 games involving the states last year were pretty well attended myself.

I'll get to a Big bash game or two in the new year and will probably enjoy it.

I don't follow one of the two franchise's yet. I'll most likely watch both.

Good to see the ratings are up anyway.

29,241 at the Gabba tonight though I'm a tiny bit skeptical about that figure . Quite a few empty seats !

Good game all the same and it was great to see Warnie miked up and bowling well . Stars get a win !

Edited by Macca

Renegades are on the board at last ! Scores are lower this year . It seems the bowlers are fighting back in this form of the game .

Yes it is less interesting than the NAB Cup & that is saying something.

But it is not for me...it is aimed at kids, but i am concerned when Test players are exposed to it.

It is a completely different game.

If t20 is aimed at kids then why do so many adults like the sport as well ? Check out the faces in the crowd . T20 is here to stay and will only get bigger .

As an aside , the Test crowd at the MCG was over 189,000 so what are people worried about ? The crowd at the Sydney Test will be big as well btw

It seems there is a percentage of people who don't like t20 and that is their right . But do they need to tell everybody about it ? There are loads of things in life that I don't like but I don't feel compelled to tell the whole world about it . I'll give you one though - I don't like brussels sprouts !

You do however make a good point about Test players playing t20 and that does need to be addressed . You are also correct in saying that it's a completely different game . If you treat it as such , you may not dislike it as much . I compare Test cricket to t20 like I do the Marathon to the 100 metre sprint . It's ok to like both .

Overall t20 is family friendly , fun , exciting , entertaining . There's music and dancing etc etc . I go to the games and everybody is smiling and happy . What's wrong with that ?

Btw , I'm waiting for the cavalry to arrive . I seem to be the only one on this thread who likes the sport . ( And I didn't kick it off )

Cheers

Edited by Macca
  • Like 1

If t20 is aimed at kids then why do so many adults like the sport as well ? Check out the faces in the crowd . T20 is here to stay and will only get bigger .

As an aside , the Test crowd at the MCG was over 189,000 so what are people worried about ? The crowd at the Sydney Test will be big as well btw

It seems there is a percentage of people who don't like t20 and that is their right . But do they need to tell everybody about it ? There are loads of things in life that I don't like but I don't feel compelled to tell the whole world about it . I'll give you one though - I don't like brussels sprouts !

You do however make a good point about Test players playing t20 and that does need to be addressed . You are also correct in saying that it's a completely different game . If you treat it as such , you may not dislike it as much . I compare Test cricket to t20 like I do the Marathon to the 100 metre sprint . It's ok to like both .

Overall t20 is family friendly , fun , exciting , entertaining . There's music and dancing etc etc . I go to the games and everybody is smiling and happy . What's wrong with that ?

Btw , I'm waiting for the cavalry to arrive . I seem to be the only one on this thread who likes the sport . ( And I didn't kick it off )

Cheers

T20 is a cash cow. Test cricket is a test.

T20 is a cash cow. Test cricket is a test.

Test cricket is a Test and a better game to watch ( for me ) . T20 for me is a much better shorter version of the game . It might surprise some that I don't like 50 over cricket at all . ( except for world cups where I take a bit of an interest ) .

To me the 50 over game goes far too long . We already have a long version of the game in Test cricket . I reckon it will be the 50 over game that will fade away to be perfectly honest .

Btw t20 pays its way and probably subsidises Shield cricket ( which must cost a small fortune to run ) So , in fact , cricket needs t20 and the money it brings to the game . Big picture stuff in a lot of ways .

Good post Macca - I agree with you. My interest in T20 isn't as strong as it is in Test cricket, but it does have appeal to me. There seems to be this elitist view that you can only enjoy one or the other, and the people who are "purists" in their own minds need to prove that they're true hard core Test cricket lovers by ragging on T20 at every opportunity. I'd challenge anyone to watch Chris Gayle's century the other night with an open mind and tell me that wasn't exciting.

Another good analogy would be Volleyball in the Olympics - there's the court variety in which the serious players of the sport compete in, and the beach variety where the competition really just an excuse for the spectacle (though there's fewer women in bikinis in T20 cricket :P).

Good post Macca - I agree with you. My interest in T20 isn't as strong as it is in Test cricket, but it does have appeal to me. There seems to be this view that you can only enjoy one or the other, and the "purists" need to prove that they're true hard core Test cricket lovers by ragging on T20 at every opportunity. I'd challenge anyone to watch Chris Gayle's century the other night with an open mind and tell me that wasn't exciting.

Another good analogy would be Volleyball in the Olympics - there's the court variety in which the serious players of the sport compete in, and the beach variety where the competition really just an excuse for the spectacle (though there's fewer women in bikinis in T20 cricket :P).

Yep , we're on the same wavelength Nasher . I think in time the purists will buckle . There's just too much to like about t20 . As ya said , that Gayle knock was exciting . Just wonderful artistry . Effortless in a lot of ways , pure timing . He's done it twice now in the comp and what a crowd puller he is . The sport is part exhibition as well which can't be denied but so what . People love it .

I worry about the future of Test cricket sometimes but 189,000 at the MCG eases my mind somewhat . They should come in their droves to the Sydney Test as well especially it being the 100th test at the ground .