David Misson not impressed

Prof

Misson has built a flag winning team.

He can develop footy players.

Blaming him for not 'dressing up' the current squad is akin to Matt Preston firing his Personal Fitness Instructor because he doesn't have a six-pack. Put down the fork, Matt!

• Like 2

No I'm asking why some of our players aren't the same size as Josh Caddy, Mitch Duncan, Steven Motlop, George HS, Jordan Murdoch, Billie Smedts - guys who are in the same age bracket.

I think your eyes might be deceiving you because none of Duncan, Motlop, Murdoch or Smedts are particularly solid. Caddy and Horlin-Smith are much more solid than either of those others but that has more to do with their body-type than anything else.

For comparative purposes here are the heights and weights of those you have mentioned who I think actually have slender build.

Duncan - 187cm and 86kgs

Motlop - 183cm and 76kgs

Murdoch - 190cm and 85kgs

Smedts - 189cm and 83kgs

I suppose my criticism comes for players like Trengove, Nicholson, Grimes, Watts and Blease. None of which you'd label anything close to AFL top quality well rounded athletes in strength, size endurance and speed.

Now for our guys who you have listed:

Trengove - 185cms and 85 kgs (heavier than two of the Cats players you have listed who are taller than him but over an inch)

Nicholson - 183cms and 80kgs (same height as motlop yet 4kgs heavier)

Grimes - 187cms and 85kgs (see comments re trengove - around the same height and weight as Duncan)

Watts - 196cms and 91kgs (I recall some saying that he was intentionally trained to get lighter so he could spend more time working through the middle, but regardless, he is noticeably stronger this year - just for comparison, Tom Lonergan is 1cm taller than Jack and just 2kgs heavier but is 7 years older).

Blease - 184cms and 77kgs (similar in height and weight to Motlop)

I think the reasons the Geelong guys may look bigger, or are perceived to have more AFL ready bodies because of who they are surrounded by. But looking at the height and weight of those guys listed compared to those at Geelong, it's quite apparent that in terms of height and weight, our boys are either bigger or at the same mark as the Geelong players you have mentioned.

I think it has more to do with body type, and the type of strength training the club is doing, and in particularly the areas of the bodies they are trying to build.

• Like 3

I think your eyes might be deceiving you because none of Duncan, Motlop, Murdoch or Smedts are particularly solid. Caddy and Horlin-Smith are much more solid than either of those others but that has more to do with their body-type than anything else.

For comparative purposes here are the heights and weights of those you have mentioned who I think actually have slender build.

Duncan - 187cm and 86kgs

Motlop - 183cm and 76kgs

Murdoch - 190cm and 85kgs

Smedts - 189cm and 83kgs

Now for our guys who you have listed:

Trengove - 185cms and 85 kgs (heavier than two of the Cats players you have listed who are taller than him but over an inch)

Nicholson - 183cms and 80kgs (same height as motlop yet 4kgs heavier)

Grimes - 187cms and 85kgs (see comments re trengove - around the same height and weight as Duncan)

Watts - 196cms and 91kgs (I recall some saying that he was intentionally trained to get lighter so he could spend more time working through the middle, but regardless, he is noticeably stronger this year - just for comparison, Tom Lonergan is 1cm taller than Jack and just 2kgs heavier but is 7 years older).

Blease - 184cms and 77kgs (similar in height and weight to Motlop)

I think the reasons the Geelong guys may look bigger, or are perceived to have more AFL ready bodies because of who they are surrounded by. But looking at the height and weight of those guys listed compared to those at Geelong, it's quite apparent that in terms of height and weight, our boys are either bigger or at the same mark as the Geelong players you have mentioned.

I think it has more to do with body type, and the type of strength training the club is doing, and in particularly the areas of the bodies they are trying to build.

PM24 you have missed one vital element geelong players always look bigger than they are.

It is effect the horizontal strips on their jumper has on the eye.

Anyone will tell you never wear horizontal stripes they are always make you look fatter than you are.

• Like 1

Haha, as my wife explains to me regularly - dark colours are slimming....

It's a valid point, Geelongs horizontal stripes are another explanation as to the masters judgement.

• Like 1

PM24 you have missed one vital element geelong players always look bigger than they are.

Anyone will tell you never wear horizontal stripes they are always make you look fatter than you are.

Beat me to it OD

Thought I'd give this thread a bump. And not just because I like reading the old threads but also because I wonder if the title of David Misson not impressed could change to David Misson, we aren't impressed.

What's everyones thought's on our fitness etc.

Personally the Geelong game highlighted a major weakness in the way we develop our players.

We seem to have too many who haven't put on enough size and more worrying lack the dynamic movement power required to play AFL. Grimes and Trengove are great examples of guys who can run all day but are way to rigid in the hips. They don't get up and down and move laterally etc.

The Darwin game also represents a unique opportunity to put our top in fitness base gains to test. And to me these so called gains are a joke. I can't believe the hardest thing we did up there was a walk FFS! Every other club is out there doing footy related training and we are going for a walk in Kakadu because it's hot. Spare me.

We also need to do much more of our preseason training in drills because as evidenced we need as much footy practice as possible.

The other concern in the injury list whilst not out of control is not looking great this year. Viney, Evans, Trengove and Jamar all with foot/toe over use injuries - I won't count Clark because the initial injury came from contact and the re-injury is more a responsibility of the surgeon/physios. Frawley, Dawes and Clisby all with hamstrings.

Missen always said it was a three pre-season project - I know we have all been repeatedly told to be patient, but one more preseason please before condemning Missen for our shortcomings.

Yes but...there seems to have been a spate of foot injuries mid-year.

I suspect, but I'd like to know, if Misson's training them harder has had this unfortunate effect.

Not that I am saying they should not be driven, but is it training driven for the likes of Evans?

Interesting too that Cale M looked as lightly framed as ever yesterday.

Maybe the pharmacist is concerned about WADA and ASADA's increased profile this year??

Misson has built a flag winning team.

He can develop footy players.

Blaming him for not 'dressing up' the current squad is akin to Matt Preston firing his Personal Fitness Instructor because he doesn't have a six-pack. Put down the fork, Matt!

One of the better lines that I have seen anywhere. :-))

So, was Billy Brownless really a Cale Morton type? :-))

Missen always said it was a three pre-season project - I know we have all been repeatedly told to be patient, but one more preseason please before condemning Missen for our shortcomings.

Maybe the pharmacist is concerned about WADA and ASADA's increased profile this year??

One of the better lines that I have seen anywhere. :-))

So, was Billy Brownless really a Cale Morton type? :-))

Only in Cale's dreams

Amazing Geelongs highest draft pick in over 10yrs is number 7!

Goes to show that our club was fixated on tanking to get early picks that they forget that its culture & development that makes players not their draft number!

• Like 2

Goes to show that our club was fixated on tanking to get early picks that they forget that its culture & development that makes players not their draft number!

Give the man the prize.
  • Like 1

don't forget the three handy father-sons picks (ablett, scarlett, hawkins)

• Like 1

Selwood...it helps to pick the right players.

• Like 2

ironic thread title considering i (and probably a lot of others) are not impressed with Misson at all

What is your judging criteria for your assessment hh?

And how has he earned your lack of respect?

Edited by old dee
  • Like 1

Body size and shape and strength (ie weight lifting) are only some of the requirements for a modern day footballer

What they need is Power which also requires mental strength, desire balance technique etc

Im not sure that Mission is working on the players power

Edited by jackaub

Body size and shape and strength (ie weight lifting) are only some of the requirements for a modern day footballer

What they need is Power which also requires mental strength, desire balance technique etc

Im not sure that Mission is working on the players power

Does that mean that you are not sure or that you don't believe that he is?

Inside knowledge?

Not knocking, just want to know.

well he ought to have them just humming along come March then.

cant wait :rolleyes: