Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Pre Season training groups

The Red Fox

You're Mark Neeld, pre season is kicking off and you've got to split the squad into forward, midfield and defensive groups. We have a range of one position players, think Jurrah (forward), Jones & Moloney (mids) but there are a host of swing men like Davey or players who are yet to settle into a role. So, where do you develop the following?

Bail, Bate, Bennell, Davey, Dunn, Fitzgerald, Green, Grimes, Jetta, Maric, Martin, Morton, Strauss, Sylvia, Tapscott.

You're Mark Neeld, pre season is kicking off and you've got to split the squad into forward, midfield and defensive groups. We have a range of one position players, think Jurrah (forward), Jones & Moloney (mids) but there are a host of swing men like Davey or players who are yet to settle into a role. So, where do you develop the following?

Bail, Bate, Bennell, Davey, Dunn, Fitzgerald, Green, Grimes, Jetta, Maric, Martin, Morton, Strauss, Sylvia, Tapscott.

Forwads:

Fitzpatrick

Green

Davey

Dunn

Maric

Jetta

Morton

Mids:

Bail

Sylvia

Tapscott

Bail

Bate

Martin

Backs:

Bennell

Grimes

Rehab:

Strauss

Some really tough ones there. Personally, I think Morton could be worth trying as a forward more than a mid, especially given the number of mids we can field when the team is fit. He could find a bit of a niche there and with his height and mbility he's a pretty hard matchup. Martin is still primarily a ruck, so I guess he lives in the midfield. Davey should go back to the forward pocket and be the defensive forward we all loved in his early career. I've thrown several of the borderline guys like Jetta in as forwards as well because it's an area we are really lacking in. Let them compete for the spot and see who comes out on top. Bennell I still think could be a great back pocket if he can learn to be accountable, and that's where I'd be training him.

One of the keys to premiership success is to have a settled back six and one of the pressing questions is whether the likes of Grimes, Tapscott or perhaps Davey are part of that.

Leon Davis has just gone back in the twilight of his career and has just won All-Australian selection. Could Davey have similar success? What is the opportunity cost of the move given that he hasn't shown a great deal while forward or through the midfield of late.

Grimes is a natural midfielder but he reads the play so well in the back 50. Which position is best for team structure?

I'm torn on where to play those three and to a lesser extent which end is the best fit for Jetta and Bennell.

• Like 1

backline Bennell Maric Tapscott Dunn

midfield Bail Bate Davey Grimes Jetta Martin Morton

fwd Fitzpatrick Green Strauss Sylvia

Agree we need to settle our back 6 but finding the right players to settle is harder to do.

Grimes will prob be eased back to play half back but we need him in the middle.

Harbrow is a great player and Bennell has similiar attributes. He should be watching and trying to emulate. He's been very disappointing so hopefully he can put it together.

Maric to be given a go at been the kicker. Dunn too. if not delisted.

Not convinced with Strauss so I would like to see Strauss moved forward and see what he can offer.

backline Bennell Maric Tapscott Dunn

Maric to be given a go at been the kicker. Dunn too. if not delisted.

Interesting, I'd have the four in your backline group training with the forwards. What does that say about them... Or us!?

If Maric were in the back six he'd be playing on opposition roving forwards like Milne, Betts et al. You really think he could develop into the best option on our list for those gigs?

I'll have a go and I would like to throw the following up.

Forwards

Fitzgerald, Martin,

Martin I thinks needs direction when he is up forward and would benefit with a little more understanding about leading to space. Fitzgerald because his height and if he adds more muscle will be a good focal point up forward.

Midfield

Bail, Bate, Grimes, Tapscott, Dunn, Strauss,

I think all of these players will also benefit by running with the midfield as they may give options or alternate if they run as pinch hitters to borrow a term.e.g Bate in particular should be given the task of protecting some of the smaller frames of our midfield. Coach gives him a task and see if he can execute, I see Tapscott doing a similar role. Dunn, Bail, Grimes, Strauss will give the extra cattle in the midfield to share the load.

Backs

Davey, Jetta, Morton, Green, Sylvia, Maric,

These players bar Morton and Bennell all need to work on the defensive side of their games as they are attacking players and need to be able to switch to the defensive game a lot quicker.

I will say this though if I was the coach this set up would not be for all through summer. It would be to get these players to add another facet to their game and also if needed you could try different things in your line up.

I am the first to say that I probably know stuff all bout this topic but I just thought I would add my opinion and have a stab.

P.S I would also run Jurrah and Aussie into the ground (so to speak) to get there fitness up and put Jurrah in the defence group so he learns what a press is and how to execute it.

If Maric were in the back six he'd be playing on opposition roving forwards like Milne, Betts et al. You really think he could develop into the best option on our list for those gigs?

I couldn't really see Tapscott, Leon Davis or Chris Yarran playing in the back too. Thought they too would get exposed.

However all have great footskills. Maric is nowhere near that standard but is solid enough.

It's really a hail mary shot for Maric cause I'm not a fan.