The Tom Scully Saga © continues ...

old55

When Tom's management first announced to the club that they would hold off contract negotiations until the end of 2011 (some time last year I think?), had GWS been allowed under the rules set down by the AFL to approach his management?

This is the key point. After the GWS / AFL consortium was exposed for breaking their own rules with Phil Davis, they will not now allow any more announcements before the end-of-year. We know GWS have approached Scully before the season started (confirmed by Stephen Silvagni), we know they gave Callum Ward a two-week timeframe (according to his mother) to make his decision more than 6 weeks ago, yet we have heard nothing more. I think the silence speaks volumes on both counts. Over-the-top offers have been made, and my guess is, accepted in both cases. :mad:

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm just getting tired of tabloids reports like the australian that report Tom Scully signed with GWS just after we lost to geelong wonder how long it took them to create that news.

And it seems like Tom Scully signed like 5-6 contracts with GWS with all these reports.

I think you read this wrong... Here is the paragraph... Im pretty sure its a typo by the Australian... meant to say Trengove.. not Scully..

As much as anything, though, with Tom Scully refusing to sign and seemingly destined for GWS, Colin Sylvia toying with a move to Sydney and the reconstruction of the team questioned by events of the past fortnight, the signings are a welcome show of faith. It's understood Scully decided, as a statement, to sign shortly after the thrashing at Geelong 12 days ago that saw coach Dean Bailey moved on 24 hours later.

There might not be enough energy left after the riot that's going to happen on this forum.

Riot?

If he goes, it will be a terrible decision and push back our window (and diminish it) but I doubt we will 'riot.'

Strong words will be said no doubt.

I assume there will also be some strong words if he stays too - those that think he held the club for 'ransom,' some will denounce his large price, and some will be annoyed he 'strung' the club along for no reason in a tough year.

I don't believe he has signed with anyone yet so my reaction will be formed when the decision is made.

This is the key point. After the GWS / AFL consortium was exposed for breaking their own rules with Phil Davis, they will not now allow any more announcements before the end-of-year. We know GWS have approached Scully before the season started (confirmed by Stephen Silvagni), we know they gave Callum Ward a two-week timeframe (according to his mother) to make his decision more than 6 weeks ago, yet we have heard nothing more. I think the silence speaks volumes on both counts. Over-the-top offers have been made, and my guess is, accepted in both cases. :mad:

Entitrely all too plausible. Somehwat mirrors my thinking also :mellow:

Riot?If he goes, it will be a terrible decision and push back our window (and diminish it) but I doubt we will 'riot.'Strong words will be said no doubt.I assume there will also be some strong words if he stays too - those that think he held the club for 'ransom,' some will denounce his large price, and some will be annoyed he 'strung' the club along for no reason in a tough year. I don't believe he has signed with anyone yet so my reaction will be formed when the decision is made.

My sentiments exactly rpfc. I see absolutely no point in everyone getting their knickers in a twist over this. A timeframe has been laid out, it is being adhered to, in a month or so we will find out. Then I will either be very happy about (what I consider to be) a wise decision made, or very disappointed that (what I consider to be) a very short sighted decision has been made. Either way, no amount of postulating on here is going to make a lick of difference, either to the result or my comfort levels about the whole saga.

The problem if TS was to leave and we get two first round as compensation is that we have to shift the launch date for our premiership window back a year (or two)... Which is a bummer.

Not necessarily at all 'PaulRB'. we could use the picks on Gun kids, most likely in the 2012 draft which would spread our Talent bank age group wider, but it would give us extra power to bargain up a mature trade like a Boak or a Salopek.

Riot?

If he goes, it will be a terrible decision and push back our window (and diminish it) but I doubt we will 'riot.'

Strong words will be said no doubt.

I assume there will also be some strong words if he stays too - those that think he held the club for 'ransom,' some will denounce his large price, and some will be annoyed he 'strung' the club along for no reason in a tough year.

I don't believe he has signed with anyone yet so my reaction will be formed when the decision is made.

There won't be any self flagellation from me. I've written him off long time ago. Will mark the end of an Annus Horribilis as far as I am concerned.

Edited by america de cali

Not necessarily at all 'PaulRB'. we could use the picks on Gun kids, most likely in the 2012 draft which would spread our Talent bank age group wider, but it would give us extra power to bargain up a mature trade like a Boak or a Salopek.

Fair enough 'dee-luded', be good if we could grab one of each (young gun and quality mature mid). I'd like to think we could manage to come out of the TS fiasco undiminished...

Clutching at straws still me thinks. I mean, if Scully was a bit unsure still, I cannot possible see how the last few weeks wouldn't have tipped him towards GWS. If he was worried about being in a poorly performing team up there, they probably won't ever go close to losing by 31 goals. There is far to much drama and conflict within the club right now, and even senior players (Sylvia) are rumoured to be considering jumping ship. I just cannot see Scully wearing the Red and Blue next year; he will be in the horrible orange and charcoal or whatever it is.

I agree with this. Up until the fallout of the last few weeks I was a believer that he wasn't gone, but why would you possibly stay after all that's gone on with the massive carrot they're dangling in front of him.

And for what it's worth, even though we all take these things with a grain of salt, have heard from a friend of a friend who was at the dinner last night that he's gone, confimed by a player (don't want to say which, but suffice it to say it was one of the guys who recently re-signed). Also reckoned that Connolly was gone too. Make of that what you will.

How did you manage to read that?

Well I wasn't at the dinner, but the quote in today's Herald Sun ("Can't comment, don't want to comment") doesn't fill me with much confidence, and Don's reference last night that the club won't be paying over the odds for any player leads me to believe the club is aware of Scully's decision.

Could be wrong and have heard that Viney, Gawn and Trengove suggested Scully is still every chance of staying, but that's just the way I've viewed the situation. My uncle who was there last night certainly thinks he's on the way out.

While I think he'll stay, does he have the mental fortitude to decline 12 and a half desks a year over 5 years?

By the end of his 5 years in GWS, he could've racked up 62 of them. Maybe more.

Is 1 Million ayear too much ?? Deskuss !

While I think he'll stay, does he have the mental fortitude to decline 12 and a half desks a year over 5 years?

By the end of his 5 years in GWS, he could've racked up 62 of them. Maybe more.

I reckon money isn't even that important to him and he'd play for a single desk per year.

I think the sticking point is that he made a decision to wait until the end of the season before making a firm decision, and he's a stubborn, determined and relentless bastard who won't give in, no matter how much pressure is applied.

That's why he's a bloody good player too.

I wonder if he goes, you will still believe he made his mind up after this current season?

When Scully admits to signing with GWS, we should all start a riot in western sydney, london style!!yeah! :lol:

I think the locals do that good enough themseleves on a weekly basis. We wont need to go up there and start it. Could always join in though.

I wonder if he goes, you will still believe he made his mind up after this current season?

Yeah, definitely.

Unless I have reason not to, like conclusive evidence to the contrary.

Just because he is considering it, and wishes to wait until the end of the season to make a firm decision, that does not mean his decision is made up.

Whichever way he is leaning, he is doing the smart thing.

It's so much money that it demands due consideration, and he is giving both sides ample opportunity to convince him one way or another.

If he were leaning towards staying, taking into consideration the club's recent turmoil, do you think there's a possibility that if he had have signed with us in March that he may have felt regret about his decision?

That he is unhappy with staying with a club that has no coach and reportedly a CEO he dislikes?

That he could have seen who else GWS signed and watched GC17 make strides, that it was not all that bad up north?

To give MFC a chance to prove that he would be better off elsewhere?

To give GWS a chance to prove he'd be better off up there?

Or alternatively that if he had have signed with GWS in March, that he might come to regret the decision after seeing the progress of guys like Watts & Trengove?

And after having formed stronger bonds of friendship with his current teammates?

After playing GC17 at Metricon Stadium and seeing how dismal the crowds are?

After seeing how batsh%t crazy Sheedy is?

After seeing GWS struggle to recruit the majority of their other "big" targets like Murphy, Goddard, Rich, Leuenberger, Pendlebury, Thomas or Swan?

To give MFC a chance to prove that he would be better off staying here in his home city?

To give GWS a chance to prove he'd be better off not going anywhere near the place?

Even if he was leaning one way or another, he owed to himself to wait.

It's the smart thing to do.

He can decide where his desks come from in September, because we are only going to offer 6 and a quarter desks no matter what.

With that in mind - we can plan how we give out our desks now.

Marc Murphy season averages

2006: 13 Games, 11.4 kicks, 6.6 handballs, 18.0 possessions, 2.1 tackles

2007: 22 Games, 12.0 kicks, 5.9 handballs, 17.9 possessions, 2.9 tackles

2008: 22 Games, 15.2 kicks, 9.4 handballs, 24.6 possessions, 2.6 tackles

2009: 23 Games, 12.4 kicks, 13.1 handballs, 25.6 possessions, 3.9 tackles

2010: 22 Games, 12.6 kicks, 12.8 handballs, 25.4 possessions, 4.6 tackles

2011: 19 Games, 16.4 kicks, 12.5 handballs, 28.9 possessions, 4.3 tackles

You can see the natural progression as he gets older and more experienced.

Tom Scully season averages

2010: 21 Games, 9.4 kicks, 12.1 handballs, 21.5 possessions, 3.9 tackles

2011: 7 Games, 8.0 kicks, 14.1 handballs, 22.1 possessions, 5.9 tackles

This certainly highlights that whoever coaches Tom next year better get him to work on his kicking skills. Sure he can run like the wind but the ball travels further when kicked. I think Jordie Mckenzie has had an obsene amount of handballs this year! No wonder we can't break presses!

Yeah, definitely.

Unless I have reason not to, like conclusive evidence to the contrary.

Just because he is considering it, and wishes to wait until the end of the season to make a firm decision, that does not mean his decision is made up.

Whichever way he is leaning, he is doing the smart thing.

It's so much money that it demands due consideration, and he is giving both sides ample opportunity to convince him one way or another.

If he were leaning towards staying, taking into consideration the club's recent turmoil, do you think there's a possibility that if he had have signed with us in March that he may have felt regret about his decision?

That he is unhappy with staying with a club that has no coach and reportedly a CEO he dislikes?

That he could have seen who else GWS signed and watched GC17 make strides, that it was not all that bad up north?

To give MFC a chance to prove that he would be better off elsewhere?

To give GWS a chance to prove he'd be better off up there?

Or alternatively that if he had have signed with GWS in March, that he might come to regret the decision after seeing the progress of guys like Watts & Trengove?

And after having formed stronger bonds of friendship with his current teammates?

After playing GC17 at Metricon Stadium and seeing how dismal the crowds are?

After seeing how batsh%t crazy Sheedy is?

After seeing GWS struggle to recruit the majority of their other "big" targets like Murphy, Goddard, Rich, Leuenberger, Pendlebury, Thomas or Swan?

To give MFC a chance to prove that he would be better off staying here in his home city?

To give GWS a chance to prove he'd be better off not going anywhere near the place?

Even if he was leaning one way or another, he owed to himself to wait.

It's the smart thing to do.

How did you work all this out? Did you read the bumps on his head? Jeez it looks like Tappy and Trenners are not so smart as Tom or you after all. Obviously they didn't think it through enough to make such hasty decisions.