3 things for the week ahead

The Chazz

While there are many threads talking about Bailey's sacking, and what is going on behind the scenes, I thought a simple thread about how we want the Club to react during this week. while it is hard to only have 3 wishes, do your best! Also, try and come up with an alternative to the situation.

Mine are;

1. Brad Green to step down as Captain, and make Watts the caretaker. I can't see how any of the current vice captains are deserved of the role, and believe Watts has shown enough leadership this year to suggest he could actually thrive on the extra responsibility. I'm only asking for him to do it for the rest of the season, then we can sit down in the preseason and reassess.

2. Scully to re-sign this week. I know it's a saga, and I was happy for the end of season business, but I think we, as a football club and supporters need something positive to come out of the week. I just wonder how much this is impacting on some of our players? It may not be at all, but it may be!

3. I think Bailey's race has been run and lost, so I think they should terminate immediately. Todd Viney HAS to become caretaker, and the sooner that Brian Royal is given the arse the better.

Chances are, none of the 3 will happen. If not, I seriously want some changes made at the selection table, with Sylvia and Green to be dropped.

1. Bailey to step down/be removed and Viney to coach against Carlton

2. Green, Sylvia, Jurrah among five or six to be sent to Casey for at least three weeks.

3. Stynes to address the members and tell us what is going at the club, including full disclosure of the Scully situation.

1. Leadership group to be stood down. The lack of senior leaders has been high on our list of weaknesses over the past decade. With the exception of Grimes they just do not have leadership capacities. I do not excuse Davey who didnt play. He does apparently a good mentoring the indiginous players but does not have on-field leadership qualities. I do not excuse Moloney despite apparently effectively not playing either. He is however perhaps the only one who might make a revamped squad next year.
  2. Todd Viney NOT be appointed caretaker coach. Next years coach will be given a free hand and should (must) change all the assistant coaches. Viney chould not be in a position where he might be removed.
  3. Tom Scully either to either drag himself, his buggered knee and his interfering management up to GWS or commit. If however he remains, it cannot be on the basis of a paypacket that is going to create division amongst the other players.

The baying for immediate blood is understandable. But we really need to address the future as well in order to prevent this type of scenario for ever happening again.

1. Bailey should be told that he will not coach MFC in 2012. Out of respect, he should be allowed to decide whether he steps down now or at the end of the season. The decision must be made now to allow all potential candidates to be aware that the position of senior coach at MFC for 2012 is available.

2. Tom Scully should be made a final offer and given one week to decide. If he chooses to go, fine, but he forfeits the right to be selected in any of our remaining games.

3. Whatever Scully decides to do - and I hope he stays - the guernsey number he wears should be relinquished and reserved only for the club captain for each year. It should be established as honour and privilege to strive for within the club.

4. Jim Stynes should step down as president. Not because he hasn't done a great job, but because he needs to devote all his efforts towards beating the insidious disease that's afflicted him. In his place - Garry Lyon. We need someone, like Garry, whose love and devotion to the club cannot be questioned. Someone who young players can be inspired by and someone who will stand up to the AFL and fight for a fair go for the MFC and oversee our rise to our rightful place as a league powerhouse once again.

The baying for immediate blood is understandable. But we really need to address the future as well in order to prevent this type of scenario for ever happening again.

1. Bailey should be told that he will not coach MFC in 2012. Out of respect, he should be allowed to decide whether he steps down now or at the end of the season. The decision must be made now to allow all potential candidates to be aware that the position of senior coach at MFC for 2012 is available.

2. Tom Scully should be made a final offer and given one week to decide. If he chooses to go, fine, but he forfeits the right to be selected in any of our remaining games.

3. Whatever Scully decides to do - and I hope he stays - the guernsey number he wears should be relinquished and reserved only for the club captain for each year. It should be established as honour and privilege to strive for within the club.

4. Jim Stynes should step down as president. Not because he hasn't done a great job, but because he needs to devote all his efforts towards beating the insidious disease that's afflicted him. In his place - Garry Lyon. We need someone, like Garry, whose love and devotion to the club cannot be questioned. Someone who young players can be inspired by and someone who will stand up to the AFL and fight for a fair go for the MFC and oversee our rise to our rightful place as a league powerhouse once again.

Thats Not bad, I like your thinking there Old Demon.

All good suggestions, but re Jimma, he should do what he wants re his best direction. As for Lyon, I've never thought of him Off field, & I must say, He could be a good strong figure head as the President, depending on what Jimma needs.

I like your fighting spirit on all points and agree with all.

Guest Thomo

I don't agree with bringing in Lyon. It seems he has taken the soft option over the past few years, he likes to talk behind closed doors but has done very little publicly to support the club. It seems that he likes to sit on the fence in public to make sure that his media job is not jeopardised. When Brayshaw and McGuire we just supporters they were always pushing their teams, unlike Lyon who to me has been very weak. He has not had the balls to step up and help the MFC in public, instead he has been a bit of a sniper to protect himself.

Good points you make, however Jim Stynes has built up so much goodwill for the club (no PR company could have done as well) that he must remain on as chairman (to use the correct title for the head of a sporting section of the MCC)even if it's a titular position.

Jim is still the perfect figurehead for this club IMHO.

However a strong and media savvy vice chairman would then be able to take on much of the day to day work Jim is unable to do because of his health issues.

Just another point: since Andrew Leoncelli stepped down from the board I heard that Jim was supposed to take on Andrew's task of board member responsible for overseeing the football department. With his continuing health problems this may not have been possible - so maybe:

5. Ensure someone on the board with a football background is appointed to oversee the running of the football department.