Tom Scully

Rogue

Given the unlikely(impossible) scenario that Tom signs with us at the end of the season it will demonstrate that he is is the most selfish footballer that ever was for dragging this issue out to everyones despair. He is not selfish but a complete professional footballer. He will play out the season with us to the best of his ability. He should play for us as long as we have a sniff at the finals and beyond if we get there. If we fade then he should be dropped to give someone else a chance. I am sure Tom will deliver his best for the rest of the season.

It is also a discredit to this forum of the behaviour of the moderators. For the most part they have fuelled this controversy here by siding with the Scully fanboys instead of being even handed and impartial. A shameful example is allowing the recent hatchet job on David Schwartz to continue for daring to opine that Tom is already gone as the rest of the world apparently already knows.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we've all had a pretty ordinary few months with the Scully saga...but after Eddie's comments today I reckon there will be Daisy's blooming in the west of Sydney.

They have done an excellent job deflecting for 6 months, but complaining about the compensation system is extremely low, petty, and smacks of panick

The revelations of the past 24 hours have severely damaged the credibility of a number of commentators in the media. The Ox, Eddie and Mark Stevens are three of the more prominent persons who stuck out their necks making claims that they had it on good authority that Scully to GWS was a done deal. It appears now that it is not.

It's of interest that having had their credibility smashed by the Scully situation, McChins and Stevens are now seeking to minimise any claim Melbourne might have for compensation if Scully does decide to go to GWS. Both in unison acting as spoilers. They seem to be acting as proxies for someone.

Anyone care to guess who?

In what way has their credibility been damaged?

I would respectively suggest to all and any naysayers we dont KNOW any more at all. What we are witnessing is somethig of a reasonably well choreographed song and dance show. What we know is evidence of something happening. Who here can without doubt suggest it happened at time 'x' time 'y' or another datre ?.

This is a puppet show , but not all participants are aware of the puppeteers.

Only as of his signing one way or another will the real truth just start to peer out . Even then it might be a while before all facts are flushed out.

I truly dont see how events of the past few days vindicate one party more than than another.... theyre just more pieces to a puzzle.

I would respectively suggest to all and any naysayers we dont KNOW any more at all. What we are witnessing is somethig of a reasonably well choreographed song and dance show. What we know is evidence of something happening. Who here can without doubt suggest it happened at time 'x' time 'y' or another datre ?.

This is a puppet show , but not all participants are aware of the puppeteers.

Only as of his signing one way or another will the real truth just start to peer out . Even then it might be a while before all facts are flushed out.

I truly dont see how events of the past few days vindicate one party more than than another.... theyre just more pieces to a puzzle.

True Bezel, but there are events and words that surely stretch the limits of believability (to put it nicely).

Peter Blucher's assertion that Velocity Sports contacted GWS recently because they "heard through the media that they might be interested in Tom".

His additional assertion that Tom was told that a substantial offer was tabled but that "Tom didn't want know what it was because he's just too busy training and too busy focused on the Dees season" etc

It's amazing reading the posts today from the likes of Rpfc totalling ignoring and dismissing the ridiculousness of such comments.

Denial is a powerful thing I guess.

But enough of that. What irks the average Demon supporter is that hey, Dustin and Marc signed for their clubs.

Why can't Tom?

Edited by Range Rover

Guest The Tweed Pig

I truly dont see how events of the past few days vindicate one party more than than another...

Then you're lacking intellect.

Whether Tom is indeed , how shall we say, misrepresnting the truth of the situation or not I totally find it incredulous and somewhat insulting to the intelligence that hed have no interest or knowledge of any deals,especially those that involve him. Thats ridiculous. party A is offering 'an' amoutn and party B is suggesting a larger amount and yet you show the world a poker face of indifference. If these amounts were commonplace then maybe such indifference might carry a modicum of weight. But Scully is about to set a record for a player of his age an experience. Were talking telephone numbers people. No ONE lives in a vacuum . He doesnt .

So wen he suggest he has no knowledge of these amounts...are we to continue to wear the line that he's completely truthful ??

There's chinks in that armor . Believability starts to take a hit. Someone much better at words than I once suggested : " I think he doth protest too much !! "

All things have context, all words have weight and all pieces of a puzzle are but glimpses of a bigger picture.

Its just startiing to come into focus :unsure:

Then you're lacking intellect.

checked the mirror lately ?

In what way has their credibility been damaged?

Perhaps by saying he was "signed sealed and delivered" (emphasis on "signed")? There's none so blind as them that can't see.

Dunno who Stevens might be acting for, but he is on the record saying Melbourne should receive fair compensation:

Has he been backing away from that opinion?

Apologies, misread a tweet on Twitter. The person in question was Adam White.

My comment re Eddie still stands though.

This is my first post on the Tom Scully threads.

I have always believed /hoped that he would stay at Melbourne however I have changed my opinion over the last few days. Football is a team sport and I believe that we need a team of players that want to play for Melbourne and not hold the club to ramson. It is obscene that Tom in his third year could become the highest paid player at the Melbourne Football Club. How can he look his team mates in the eye knowing that his $$$ mean that they get less due to the salary cap constraints. I want Melbourne to let him go the GWS and lobby the AFL for 2 1st round picks. We can then trade one pick back to GWS for one of the 17 years old and with Jack Viney we can be set up or the next 10 years.

The danger being if we keep Scully we may lose several other players that could push our premiership window back a few years.

Whilst I acknowledge that Scully may be a once in a generation player, he potentially has chronic knee issues and has destabilised our great club. I do not believe we can afford to keep him if it means paying above the odds.

Whether Tom is indeed , how shall we say, misrepresnting the truth of the situation or not I totally find it incredulous and somewhat insulting to the intelligence that hed have no interest or knowledge of any deals,especially those that involve him. Thats ridiculous. party A is offering 'an' amoutn and party B is suggesting a larger amount and yet you show the world a poker face of indifference. If these amounts were commonplace then maybe such indifference might carry a modicum of weight. But Scully is about to set a record for a player of his age an experience. Were talking telephone numbers people. No ONE lives in a vacuum . He doesnt .

So wen he suggest he has no knowledge of these amounts...are we to continue to wear the line that he's completely truthful ??

There's chinks in that armor . Believability starts to take a hit. Someone much better at words than I once suggested : " I think he doth protest too much !! "

All things have context, all words have weight and all pieces of a puzzle are but glimpses of a bigger picture.

Its just startiing to come into focus :unsure:

Yes it was Shakespeare who wrote it ... "The lady doth protest too much, methinks"

Exactly what I thought as I followed the events of yesterday.

Perhaps by saying he was "signed sealed and delivered" (emphasis on "signed")? There's none so blind as them that can't see.

He's allowed to have an opinion.

It's when your opinion is wrong that your credibility takes a hammering.

Tom can render the Ox a goose for eternity with one fell swoop of the pen (on the contract we've offered him).

He's allowed to have an opinion.

The issue is that some of these "reporters" are not expressing opinions, they are attributing it to "impeccable sources" etc

Given the unlikely(impossible) scenario that Tom signs with us at the end of the season it will demonstrate that he is is the most selfish footballer that ever was for dragging this issue out to everyones despair. He is not selfish but a complete professional footballer. He will play out the season with us to the best of his ability. He should play for us as long as we have a sniff at the finals and beyond if we get there. If we fade then he should be dropped to give someone else a chance. I am sure Tom will deliver his best for the rest of the season.

It is also a discredit to this forum of the behaviour of the moderators. For the most part they have fuelled this controversy here by siding with the Scully fanboys instead of being even handed and impartial. A shameful example is allowing the recent hatchet job on David Schwartz to continue for daring to opine that Tom is already gone as the rest of the world apparently already knows.

Much of the focus of this thread has been on what Scully will do, or what he has apparently agreed to do, at the end of the season (ie, re-sign with us or go to GWS). Personally, I have no idea what he'll do.

However, given the sums being discussed, it's clear that he's on the verge of becoming one of the highest players in the competition - with either club. He'll be up there with Goodes, Judd, Franklin, Brown, Pendlebury, Thomas, Murphy, Goddard, Riewoldt, Pavlich etc.

That said, it begs the question - what do people actually expect of one of the, if not the, highest paid player on our list?

I pose this question in the context that we've had a dearth of really good senior leaders in recent years, and we now have some serious young talent coming through - and quite a few of these younger guys show definite leadership potential (eg, Trengove, Grimes, Watts, McKenzie, Frawley, Tapscott etc).

I, for one, want more than some clinical AFL playing Boba Fett being our highest paid player. I want a team/club obsessed leader like Moloney, albeit hopefully also possessing the skills of Chris Judd.

And is it too much to expect that such a player has some sense of the effect that his decisions/actions may have on the club - or is it simply fair game for that player to focus only on one's own agenda/game plan, virtually in a vacuum?

In the context of these questions, is Scully the player we should pin our hopes on?

I trust some of you will have an opinion on these questions. That said, I'd be really interested in hearing them.

True Bezel, but there are events and words that surely stretch the limits of believability (to put it nicely).

Peter Blucher's assertion that Velocity Sports contacted GWS recently because they "heard through the media that they might be interested in Tom".

His additional assertion that Tom was told that a substantial offer was tabled but that "Tom didn't want know what it was because he's just too busy training and too busy focused on the Dees season" etc

It's amazing reading the posts today from the likes of Rpfc totalling ignoring and dismissing the ridiculousness of such comments.

Denial is a powerful thing I guess.

But enough of that. What irks the average Demon supporter is that hey, Dustin and Marc signed for their clubs.

Why can't Tom?

I can keep doing this dance.

I can keep doing it because I don't like the insinuations over a kid who as done nothing wrong.

He wants to concentrate on his footy and he is doing that. We want him to do that, don't we? We go on and on about our up-and-down season and our lack of leadership and here is a bloke that just wants to concentrate on Port in Darwin.

You can infer all you like into his motives and his 'deceit' but I can continue to point out that your accusations and those of an increasing minority, are nothing but your own beliefs, and conclusions upon conjecture.

I'm a cynic, but not when it comes to a 19 year old, a definitely not when it comes to a 19 year old like Tom Scully.

So let's keep going in circles and dancing around the stage, I've got plenty of time, and I know all the moves.

Let's do this.

He hasn't signed anything. He will look at the contracts in September and sign the one from the MFC.

The kid is staying.

Whilst I acknowledge that Scully may be a once in a generation player, he potentially has chronic knee issues and has destabilised our great club. I do not believe we can afford to keep him if it means paying above the odds.

I think the Media outlets have become somewhat destabilized over Tom Scully and his future movements.

I don't think the MFC has destabilized at all, in fact the opposite seems to be happening.

Our club has every right to make our 2009 number one draft pick a strong offer to keep him on our list...that is all that has happened so far.

All the players i have heard interviewed want Tom to stay...i think they fully understand the GWS situation, which is exactly why the AFLPA is going in very hard for a good slice of the new pie.

As i have said before...don't paint Tom as the bad guy. He didn't invent all this brave new world. The Fat Controller did that.

Edited by why you little

rpfc and co...you can not say with certainty that anyone , in this instance Scully has not signed anything. You have no evidence to support such a statement. What you can say is that you "believe' he has not signed anything...and that is your perogative. But dont overtate actualities please.

About the only thing that holds up to scrutiny by all reports is that recently the MFc has mnade an offer of 3 million ovver 5 years to Velocity. . Seems somewhat unbeleivable that even through common courtesy the club wouldnt not have mentioned this figure to the individual concerned as well... We also can take it that GWS have a 5 mil over 5 year offer on the table. But we , well ceertainly I dotn take it as read that this has only just manifested itself as I trust neither Velocity nor GWS. But there is no reason for the MFC to be misrepresenting itself here.

This reminds me somewhat of playig a hand of Misere in 500. Only some things are known...all else is summised.

I can't believe everyone on here carrying on about the size of his contract or that he too highly paid for a third year.

Tom hasn't gone to the club with demands. The MFC have come up with what they believe is their best offer. They choose the figure not Tom but some carry on like its his fault.

As for him not looking at the contract RR you are convinced that he has already signed now his management have said he hasn't its all cloaks and daggers, your not going to believe the kid because you know better. But if you have listened to what he has said he hasn't changed. He'll wait until the end of the season to look at the offers he was happy to accepts the MFC offer but their is nothing wring with seeing what the market will pay. IF he looks now he'll be focus on do I stay or do I go... now he knows the offer is more than MFC but he doesn't have to way it up (also if you thinks these offers are 600K and 1 Mil paided fortnight you are mistaken and their is devil in the detail)

as they say...they're all innocent in prison :rolleyes:

rpfc and co...you can not say with certainty that anyone , in this instance Scully has not signed anything. You have no evidence to support such a statement. What you can say is that you "believe' he has not signed anything...and that is your perogative. But dont overtate actualities please.

bb59 and co...you can not say with certainty that anyone , in this instance Scully has signed anything. You have no evidence to support such a statement. What you can say is that you "believe' he has signed something...and that is your perogative. But dont overtate actualities please.

You see what I did there?

Brainstamp!