Dean Bailey wrestling his Demons

The essennce of a good coach as opposed to a good analyst! You would think though with three or four assitant coahes on the job as well that the collaborative effort would address these issues during a match?

I'm not at all convinced on Bails unfortunately, as nice a bolke as he is. By now there should be a much greater level of consistency in implemenation of his 'game plan'.

There are a few replies I could use to illustrate my thinking but this will do , you're it lol.

I have the notion Bails is a very decent bloke, quite amiable, intelligent and dedicated. Love to have a beer with him etc.

However my only concern for the club is to have an "effective" coach, one that gets results. Elsewhere I've suggested that HE needs to be brave, be bold and be quick . On all three he failed in relation to Watts. This is exactly where an effective coach would have realized the opportunity and made the call. Far too often we all lament what might have been but you have to DO, not try, nor think...... DO.

Bailey seems a marvelous mentor and developer but when you take away the luxury of time then I'm sorry he just isn't DOING it !!

Matchday and training are two very different things. He will have this year. He is hamstrung but even so there ARE possibilities for creativity and effectiveness. He'll need to show these to remain beyond 2011

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 36DD

There are a few replies I could use to illustrate my thinking but this will do , you're it lol.

I have the notion Bails is a very decent bloke, quite amiable, intelligent and dedicated. Love to have a beer with him etc.

However my only concern for the club is to have an "effective" coach, one that gets results. Elsewhere I've suggested that HE needs to be brave, be bold and be quick . On all three he failed in relation to Watts. This is exactly where an effective coach would have realized the opportunity and made the call. Far too often we all lament what might have been but you have to DO, not try, nor think...... DO.

Bailey seems a marvelous mentor and developer but when you take away the luxury of time then I'm sorry he just isn't DOING it !!

Matchday and training are two very different things. He will have this year. He is hamstrung but even so there ARE possibilities for creativity and effectiveness. He'll need to show these to remain beyond 2011

The manner in which Watts was deployed, disregarding a potential match up with Goddard, did not work either???

I think Bailey was lamenting that he missed an opportunity to fastrack Watts' development by playing on Goddard.

I feel that this highlights that Bailey keeps his eye on the bigger picture and shouldn't be viewed as a matchday failure.

Guest Artie Bucco

Nice article but has everyone forgot the man's lack of a gameplan.

I have great respect for what he has done for the club but let's get Roos or Malthouse to coach us now.

Your personal ignorance of the gameplan doesn't indicate not having one.

Teams don't beat other teams by 96 points without having a gameplan.

We just don't have the players capable of implementing it consistently yet.

Once they are developed and have practiced it for long enough, we will be a very good team and you might be able to recognise said gameplan.

Guest Artie Bucco

Yes it certainly does...Matthews as a mentor, very good idea. I think there were a few on here who gave me a hard time for suggesting such a thing.

Carry On.....

You're very good at misrepresenting the facts.

Pretty sure everyone agreed that a mentor would be beneficial.

It was more the other crap you came out with that was disagreed with.

Once they are developed and have practiced it for long enough, we will be a very good team and you might be able to recognise said gameplan.

Yes we have a gameplan, but its not capable of beating majority of other AFL sides on any given day. The crows put up little resistance, thats the difference.

WC deploy the forward press, they are very good at it. What did they do to us? Adelaide rolled over, not a good example. They failed to exploit our weaknesses and allowed us to play our front running style of play.

Guest Artie Bucco

You are aware we're trying to implement our game plan with a mix of kids and 2nd & 3rd options?

What makes supporters expect us to be so much better than we are?

Just because we've come off the absolute bottom, doesn't mean we automatically make the jump to top 4 contender.

Adelaide was a perfect example, as is Sydney last year.

Teams don't roll over unless you are implementing a very effective gameplan against them.

I think that what a lot of people are overlooking here (or losing sight of) is the fact that like our young team, as a new coach Bailey is also learning the caper on the fly - don't forget, we were the pariah's of the competition not so long ago and already we are getting more positive attention. By using the likes of Lethal in a mentoring role, Bailey will continue to improve just as he will by recognising and admitting his errors of judgement as he did in the Watts/Goddard comments.

He has been slowly and unerringly building this team and I get the feeling that if we are to become a "dynasty" over the next few years, then this is precisely what we need... a complete unit that has grown together.

Ok, I've got my flack jacket on, so fire away!!

Edited by hardtack

Simplistic

I think that what a lot of people are overlooking here (or losing sight of) is the fact that like our young team, as a new coach Bailey is also learning the caper on the fly - don't forget, we were the pariah's of the competition not so long ago and already we are getting more positive attention. By using the likes of Lethal in a mentoring role, Bailey will continue to improve just as he will by recognising and admitting his errors of judgement as he did in the Watts/Goddard comments.

He has been slowly and unerringly building this team and I get the feeling that if we are to become a "dynasty" over the next few years, then this is precisely what we need... a complete unit that has grown together.

Ok, I've got my flack jacket on, so fire away!!

Take it off, its not even worth a comment

Bailey has done the hard things at this club from the moment he arrived and this at the cost of his own situation. The delisting of Bruce and McDonald last year was nothing short of brave.

That fate has taken two of his best midfielders for most of the first half of the season and now claimed 12 players to serious injury and suspension in three weeks just as those two midfielders look like returning is depressing.

The torch bearers will be up in arms but with Davey, Jamar, Scully, Trengove, Bail, Garland, Grimes, Bartram, Dunn and Tapscott unavailable this week and backup ruckman Spencer (and Fitzpatrick) also unavailable we should get a belting. That we should find ourselves in this position with our three most public performances in front of us is cruel indeed.

IMO it is impossible to judge both Bailey and our club at the moment, we are simply not being correctly represented.

Bailey has my full support and this article helps to show why. He is a man of courage and conviction.

++1

He's not responding to the article, Neita. He's responding to Bailey's courage & conviction, and simple Honest Values. These are the traits of a man needed around our club.

WYL makes two distinct statements - one relating to DB's values as you suggest.

The other "could have just nailed himself a job for the next couple of years" is the one that I (and I think Neita) are a wondering about.

Edited by Tricky

You are aware we're trying to implement our game plan with a mix of kids and 2nd & 3rd options?

Just because we've come off the absolute bottom, doesn't mean we automatically make the jump to top 4 contender.

Teams don't roll over unless you are implementing a very effective gameplan against them.

I didn't expect much in the way of results this season. What i did expect to see was the club implementing a far more defensive game plan to suit where football is at today. I also expected to see some more heat in the contest and more willingness to hit the pack so to speak. We can talk development all we like, that's what assistant coaches are for. It's Bailey's job to get the team to play to a winning formula with the required intent. I have not seen that this year. If you want to excuse him thanks to a HS article go right ahead. I'll bide my time until Jimmy announces our next coach.

I have not seen that this year.

We have seen it, in fact it has been excellent in patches, no consistency however. I want to see some creditable perfomances and wins against good opposition.

I have not seen that this year.

This is a great example of cry-baby posting

You'll tell us in great detail how bad the 1st qtr against WC was but apparently you had some sort of concussion during the Adelaide game and you don't remember a thing

I really hope we can recover from most of the injuries for the second half of the season so Bailey can show what he's got.

The article confirmed a lot of what I thought about him being a decent bloke with a big heart. That doesn't mean he can coach.

Brad Scott tore Bailey a new one from the box a couple of weeks back. To put it in perspective, North then lost to the Lions.

Melbourne's problems were evident prior to the injuries. We are incapable of penetrating the press -- despite it being in place

for a couple of years -- and we are not trying to implement one (as far as I can see). This is a serious strategic mistake.

If Bailey can snag some big wins in the second half of the season and make the finals then he stays. If not, we shouldn't keep him.

Some of you people are marshmallows -- you read a little PR and are won over. Get a little heard-headed.

If Bailey can snag some big wins in the second half of the season and make the finals then he stays

oh is that all he has to do that should be easy

ffs injuries have ensured we will lose the next three, which means we will need to win 8-9 of the last 11

do you seriously think that is a fair expectation

Exactly, Adelaide didnt turn up and decide they didnt want it etc...thats just how it unfolded due to our good play, to think he has a lack of game plan is silly, i think it is the players inability to do it or any game plan on a weekly basis, they are young and inexperienced

I didn't expect much in the way of results this season. What i did expect to see was the club implementing a far more defensive game plan to suit where football is at today. I also expected to see some more heat in the contest and more willingness to hit the pack so to speak. We can talk development all we like, that's what assistant coaches are for. It's Bailey's job to get the team to play to a winning formula with the required intent. I have not seen that this year. If you want to excuse him thanks to a HS article go right ahead. I'll bide my time until Jimmy announces our next coach.

Wyy are you only looking to today models and just imitating them?

Why not look at where we will be in 2013+, and start developing a plan that will suit that and break the current negative styles. It's easier to learn, (like the Saints) a stopping style of play. But when that didn't work, they couldn't learn quickly enough - to play attacking footy, to score enough goals to win.

As I said, interesting insight, but a bit of a long bow to suggest it will result in a 2yr contract extension. At least I hope so...

I did say the word "could" It doesn't mean it is going to happen, but i am glad to see Dean Bailey show us and the MFC his real passion.

He knows it's a long slow job, and it shows he wants to see it through. I think he has coached really well since the Wet Coke debacle, so i hope he keeps it up.

I do hope he takes a few risks & backs himself & the players. That includes tonight on the Big Stage.

Nobody has picked the Demons tonight, but we can win if the attitude is right for the whole game.

Cale Morton this is the game where you must show us what you have got.

The manner in which Watts was deployed, disregarding a potential match up with Goddard, did not work either???

I think Bailey was lamenting that he missed an opportunity to fastrack Watts' development by playing on Goddard.

I feel that this highlights that Bailey keeps his eye on the bigger picture and shouldn't be viewed as a matchday failure.

Lets not get too cute or apologistic for him shall we, He himself says he wished he had played Watts on Goddard.. Thats it. You cant extrapolate out ad-infinitum. Bailey wished he had, but missed the opportunity..its irrelevant what the opportunity was for, whether to fil la game day situation or anything longer term..he missed it. He says so himself.

Its marvellous in a way that he recognises it, uselss in another as that moment has passed, opportunity missed. i.e FAIL !! He subscribes to the notion that he is always learning and that today he will strive to be a better coach than yesterday, his mantra, not made up by me.

Hindsight never won a game :rolleyes:

You're very good at misrepresenting the facts.

Pretty sure everyone agreed that a mentor would be beneficial.

It was more the other crap you came out with that was disagreed with.

Examples of such crap regarding the mentor comments i put up please Artie???

Bailey has my full support and this article helps to show why. He is a man of courage and conviction.

My brother is a man of courage and conviction, but I wouldn't have him coaching Melbourne in a month of Sundays (and he has played about 200 games of state league football)

We all know Bailey can be very articulate, non-emotional and logical. You only have to remember his presentation in the original coach selections. But do all these nice admirable personal attributes make a good premiership-capable coach?

I don't know and I do agree that just at this moment it is still too early to pass judgement, but I'm not swayed by a sentimental journalistic piece of political correctness in the Hun.

Edited by daisycutter

He subscribes to the notion that he is always learning and that today he will strive to be a better coach than yesterday, his mantra, not made up by me.

Hindsight never won a game :rolleyes:

Hindsight may never have won the game that was being reflected upon, but it sure as hell increases the chances of winning games in the future! I like Bailey's, as you call it, mantra... it shows he is willing to admit to his mistakes and learn from them going ahead.

Edited by hardtack