Jack Grimes

biggestred

It may have already been mentioned, but I've only skimmed. It's been made mentioned that James Hird had this injury and was able to get back. But he was sometime out of the game. Hopefully Grimes gets the best treatment.

Egan kept playing with the injury for a period, if I recall, and tried to comebak early or something. Anyway they did the wrong thing as they were in the finals, so rolled the dice. (see Croad - Hawks) They didn't do the correct treatment and the bone died, then turned to mush. Had to be extracted I think.

End of story.

Moral: Treat it right & treat it once.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Egan kept playing with the injury for a period, if I recall, and tried to comebak early or something. Anyway they did the wrong thing as they were in the finals, so rolled the dice.

That's my recollection too.

Given that Garland's been through the same thing, and we're in a totally different situation - Dr Gaff has already said we won't be rushing him - I'm sure we'll do everything we can to get him right.

It feels rather selfish to say this, given he's no doubt having a tough time of it, but on a personal note it'll be a shame not to see him out there for the rest of the season. I was really keen to see how he could develop, particularly if he played more time in the midfield.

Let him train with the Melbourne Storm- that may help.

not only is it not a bad idea, but it's almost happening! Club is working with Storm staff on tackling.The cynical might say that's what's landed Trenners in trouble.The 3 codes at Olympic Park are cooperatingin areas where assistance can be useful.

Could have wonderful implications for a strong club in the future.

You have a comprehension problem.

Grow up.

The general comment was not meant to be a personal attack so I apologise if any offence was taken but simply, it was an attempt at reasoning with some to calm down. At one point in this thread, someone mentioned a 12 month ban for TDW for talking rubbish which in turn ended in being good information. Craig Hutchinson makes Australia-wide statements without noting his sources, I personally cannot fathom how so many people were throwing rocks because he couldn't name his source. For all people I or anyone knows TDW could be Jim Stynes.

Demonland is not bigfooty, posters know if they post cr*p they will be out, but if this individual (or any other) has an inside source within the club and is able to give me information regarding Melbourne before the media can find out, I can't realise why some are so negative and rude to the idea....

Are you jealous TU?

On to the more important issue of the footy, I am also of the opinion that this shocking loss could be a long term plus for the club.

- Kids will be developed. I cannot see one player taking Grimes' spot for the year like Tapscott has managed to do with Bruce's but that to me means Strauss, Blease, Nicholson and potentially Evans will all run through that spot. Huge +

- If all goes to plan, and these kids play well it also forces Grimes to scrub up on some of his ineffective areas of his game. Regardless of slightly questionable kicking and decision making at times, I would never drop Grimes however, great play by these kids will make Grimes want to get these areas better. Another + for the club.

- We win games this year without Grimes, we'll win more next year with him.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/7415/newsid/113480/default.aspx

Article from the MFC club doctor.

Key points

“Jack’s navicular fracture is not a lot different to many others that AFL players have suffered and have made good comebacks from. Most recently in our experience Colin Garland, is doing very well and in a Melbourne Football Club experience, Shane Woewodin played great footy after his.

As expected, Daff all but ruled of Grimes for the rest of the season, saying it is “probably a three to four month” injury.

“But we won’t be certainly doing anything more quickly that would jeopardise him on a premature return.”

Daff said the Demon leader will undergo standard surgery on Tuesday.

Looks like there is nothing at all outside the ordinary.

He says 3-4 months. 5 months gets him back in time to start the preseason.

Ok so please don't bite my head off... but I was trying to think of maybe a small positive that we could take from Jack Grimes' very cruel injury.

Jack Grimes has spent the first 3 seasons of his career in defence. In my opinion, he played their mainly because he's such a quality kid that he could play anywhere on the field excellently. He's disciplined, spoils well and since we lacked any classy runners in defence, it suited the demons to have him there.

I believe the rest of the seasons is a great opportunity to find other options for that run out of the defence. Lets try to get Strauss and Blease into the team in the second half of the season, try Rohan Bail there, see how Morton goes, or even a guy like Nicholson or Evans.

If we can find 1-2 extra options for run and carry out of defence, then Grimes will no longer be needed in that role and he can move into the midfield!

Grimes is a midfielder. He was predominantly midfield as an underager, and has shown in rare moments in the midfield that he can hold his own. But most importantly, as one of our most talented players, I think the midfield is the position that will most play to Grimes' strengths. Like all players, Grimes kicking can be a little shaky when under the immense pressure of playing close to the defensive goal, and with (as we know one of our weaknesses) not many options presenting for him.

Let's get a few options running out of defence for 2012: Tapscott, Strauss, Blease, Morton, Bartram.Releasing Grimes into the midfield.

Midfield of: Trengove, Grimes, Scully, Gysberts, Sylvia, Davey, Moloney, Jones, Bail, Morton = WOOT WOOT

Edited by sylvinator

Ok so please don't bite my head off... but I was trying to think of maybe a small positive that we could take from Jack Grimes' very cruel injury.

Jack Grimes has spent the first 3 seasons of his career in defence. In my opinion, he played their mainly because he's such a quality kid that he could play anywhere on the field excellently. He's disciplined, spoils well and since we lacked any classy runners in defence, it suited the demons to have him there.

I believe the rest of the seasons is a great opportunity to find other options for that run out of the defence. Lets try to get Strauss and Blease into the team in the second half of the season, try Rohan Bail there, see how Morton goes, or even a guy like Nicholson or Evans.

If we can find 1-2 extra options for run and carry out of defence, then Grimes will no longer be needed in that role and he can move into the midfield!

Grimes is a midfielder. He was predominantly midfield as an underager, and has shown in rare moments in the midfield that he can hold his own. But most importantly, as one of our most talented players, I think the midfield is the position that will most play to Grimes' strengths. Like all players, Grimes kicking can be a little shaky when under the immense pressure of playing close to the defensive goal, and with (as we know one of our weaknesses) not many options presenting for him.

Let's get a few options running out of defence for 2012: Tapscott, Strauss, Blease, Morton, Bartram.Releasing Grimes into the midfield.

Midfield of: Trengove, Grimes, Scully, Gysberts, Sylvia, Davey, Moloney, Jones, Bail, Morton = WOOT WOOT

Im not biting your head off, perfect post.

Guest Artie Bucco

Is it just my memory, or did Jamar also experience a similar injury, right before he became a semi-dominant ruckman?

I know he missed about a year, and that he credited studying the game and other ruckmen during that time, for his great improvement when returning from injury.

Pretty sure it was a broken foot. Maybe not the navicular.

That's my recollection too.

Given that Garland's been through the same thing, and we're in a totally different situation - Dr Gaff has already said we won't be rushing him - I'm sure we'll do everything we can to get him right.

It feels rather selfish to say this, given he's no doubt having a tough time of it, but on a personal note it'll be a shame not to see him out there for the rest of the season. I was really keen to see how he could develop, particularly if he played more time in the midfield.

Agreed, but things have a funny way of rounding out, and this amy well help Jack play in a GF one day. It gives us and another player, or players, a chance to show what they've got. We are, still building that team, and Jack Will be a part of it going forward.

If we didn't get injuries or suspensions, or out of formers, we just wouldn't be able to progress our list. It's a must to rotate the guy's.

These recent injuries to our rucks will probably hasten the development of Gawn and also McDonald etc. Grimes may help Howe, Nicholson and Evans.