NFL

Dappa Dan

5 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

Olines are seriously underrated. If a team went out and got top 3-5 in every position their QB would have the best year they have ever had.

100%. I've thought for a few years that if you're building a team you need to build from the inside out. Building strong lines on both sides of the ball goes a hell of a way to building a great team. They are so under rated because most people don't see their work, the highlight reels are the QBs, WR, TE, RB, CB, S etc but it's the work in the trenches that allows these guys to flaunt their skill.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

100%. I've thought for a few years that if you're building a team you need to build from the inside out. Building strong lines on both sides of the ball goes a hell of a way to building a great team. They are so under rated because most people don't see their work, the highlight reels are the QBs, WR, TE, RB, CB, S etc but it's the work in the trenches that allows these guys to flaunt their skill.

Yup, get a good oline that gets the run game going, and I don’t mean big chunk plays but consistent 3-5 yards per carry holds the middle linebackers which opens the pass game etc, conversely a great D line means the middle linebacker can drop back into coverage more often.

The thing that always bothers me is go back over the last 20 years and look at the SB winners and look at their D as a whole and also the oline. 

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Macca said:

image.png.0dae5f0bf58ade6196c378315ff217a9.png

Regular Season Tipping Competition

Year               Winner                           Silver                               Bronze

2021              Go the Biff                    Clintosaurus                   DemonDave

JV7                                   layzie

Gorgoroth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2020              titan_uranus                 Gorgoroth                       Go the Biff

Clintosaurus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2019             JV7                                 Go the Biff                      Gorgoroth

Macca                              Dee Zephyr

Clintosaurus

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2018              DeeSpencer                 Clintosaurus                   Gorgoroth

Dappa Dan                       Dee Zephyr

Macca                        

2017              Clintosaurus                 Go the Biff                      Dappa Dan

2016              Gorgoroth                     cowboy_from_hell          Clintosaurus

DeeSpencer

2015              Gorgoroth                      cowboy_from_hell         Macca

JV7

DeeSpencer

2014              Dappa Dan                     DeeSpencer                  Gorgoroth

2013              cowboy_from_hell       pantaloons                    Gorgoroth

Strafford                         Macca

Post Season Tipping Competition

Year              Winner                           Silver                              Bronze

2021            DemonDave                Gorgoroth                        Clintosaurus

Macca   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2020            Go the Biff                   Dee Zephyr                      Macca

2019             DemonDave                Go the Biff                       Macca

Dee Zephyr                  Gorgoroth

JV7                  

2018            Gorgoroth                      Go the Biff                      DeeSpencer

2017             Macca                           Clintosaurus                    Go the Biff

JV7

Gorgoroth

2016             Gorgoroth                      JV7                                  Clintosaurus

Macca  

2015             JV7                                 cowboy_from_hell         Gorgoroth

Macca                                                                      DeeSpencer

2014              JV7                                pantaloons                     Gorgoroth

Go the Biff                                                              Macca

2013             titan_uranus                  DemonDave                   cowboy_from_hell

Macca

Overall Medal Tally

Gold        Silver     Bronze

Gorgoroth                     4              3             7  

JV7                               4              3             1

Macca                           4              2             6

----------------------------------------------------

Go the Biff                    3              4             2

Clintosaurus                 2              3             4

DemonDave                  2             1              1

titan_uranus                  2              0             0

cowboy_from_hell       1              3             1

DeeSpencer                  1              2             3

Dee Zephyr                               1              2 

Dappa Dan                    1              1              1

Strafford                        1              0              0

pantaloons                    0              2              0

layzie                              0              0              1

If you're reading the above on a phone, it all aligns best in the landscape mode ... should align properly on a pc

Oh wow I tied for 3rd last year without even knowing it haha.

Need Dappa back, he'd be loving life at the moment. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

That's right, everything starts on the line. I would never laugh at a rebuilding team if they went out and got the best Left/Right Tackle they could get before getting their QB. Protecting that blindside is way more important than people think and even some of the best QBs can't function without it. The one constant that Belichick always gave Tom Brady in New England was a steady line, he may not have provided him great receiver weapons all the time but their O-Line was usually servicable at worst and they had one of the best Line coaches in the business as well. 

It is a shame that these guys don't get the credit they deserve and it can be hard to see how an O-line is performing when watching live in the moment. I remember Mark Schlereth once saying when he watches football he really focuses on the line of scrimmage battle more so than the ball and play that develops.

Give me a good line and average receivers over the reverse scenario . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gorgoroth said:

Yup, get a good oline that gets the run game going, and I don’t mean big chunk plays but consistent 3-5 yards per carry holds the middle linebackers which opens the pass game etc, conversely a great D line means the middle linebacker can drop back into coverage more often.

The thing that always bothers me is go back over the last 20 years and look at the SB winners and look at their D as a whole and also the oline. 

Exactly. Good run-blocking linemen (especially interior linemen) help with getting those north-south runs for the 3-5 years a carry. Consistently it adds up and it I hate the term but it really is the definition of 'run to setup the pass'. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, layzie said:

Oh wow I tied for 3rd last year without even knowing it haha.

Need Dappa back, he'd be loving life at the moment. 

Not sure with Dappa, ... IIRC, he's previously spent a fair bit of time in the USA (working?) ... if not, I hope he is ok as well as 'Cowboy from Hell'

As for the honour board, over a 2 year stretch it's quite possible to get 4 podium finishes as well as a couple of Gold's!  So it pays to always fight it out to the finish (a good adage in life too)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Macca said:

Not sure with Dappa, ... IIRC, he's previously spent a fair bit of time in the USA (working?) ... if not, I hope he is ok as well as 'Cowboy from Hell'

As for the honour board, over a 2 year stretch it's quite possible to get 4 podium finishes as well as a couple of Gold's!  So it pays to always fight it out to the finish (a good adage in life too)

Yeah Cowboy takes my mind of this forum back a fair bit. Always great to chat music with. Had many a Pantera/ Opeth/metal chat with him!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, layzie said:

Yeah Cowboy takes my mind of this forum back a fair bit. Always great to chat music with. Had many a Pantera/ Opeth/metal chat with him!

Forums like these aren't for everyone and not long term either (for many)

All the Demon friends and acquaintances I have don't involve themselves in social media ... maybe a bit of facebook but most have gone cold on that as well

Colts win a game with 7 only field goals & zero TD's! (12-9)

Will watch the highlights later to see whether the game was weather effected

2 hours ago, Macca said:

Forums like these aren't for everyone and not long term either (for many)

All the Demon friends and acquaintances I have don't involve themselves in social media ... maybe a bit of facebook but most have gone cold on that as well

Yeah it's true, I mean really it's an antiquated concept. I remember being on a forum for nearly every interest I had. This is the only one I'd be on now and the only MFC social media, don't do facebook stuff at all. 

5 minutes ago, layzie said:

Yeah it's true, I mean really it's an antiquated concept. I remember being on a forum for nearly every interest I had. This is the only one I'd be on now and the only MFC social media, don't do facebook stuff at all. 

There's nothing like catching up with people for real ... with the odd exception, anything ever said in person is taken with a grain of salt.  Agreeing to disagree is instantaneous!

2 minutes ago, Macca said:

There's nothing like catching up with people for real ... with the odd exception, anything ever said in person is taken with a grain of salt.  Agreeing to disagree is instantaneous!

Well I don't disagree with that! Especially at the footy. Those lockdowns really hurt a lot of us.

But yeah I've been on and off DL a lot over the years. Sometimes it's what you need, sometimes it isn't. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Macca said:

Colts win a game with 7 only field goals & zero TD's! (12-9)

Will watch the highlights later to see whether the game was weather effected

Watching highlights now, gee wiz this Broncos offense is a hard watch at the moment. 

1 hour ago, Gorgoroth said:

That game was putrid.

@layzie I finally managed to get Blackwater Park 20yr anniversary on vinyl the other day. 

Re the Colts @ Broncos.  Glad I didn't do the tune out, record and watch later ...  even the short-version highlights were ordinary!

So it's Cranbourne races and the A league Derby for the night's entertainment!

4 minutes ago, Macca said:

Re the Colts @ Broncos.  Glad I didn't do the tune out, record and watch later ...  even the short-version highlights were ordinary!

So it's Cranbourne races and the A league Derby for the night's entertainment!

I got home and watched the replay and I found myself multi tasking and telling myself that one if the teams was going to get going…. I was wrong.

• Haha 1

Williams from the chargers caught a pass at the first down marker, came back to try and get more yards, lost a yard so 8nstead of 1st down, they went to third and 1 and then failed to get the yard and gave the browns the ball back with 2 mins. FFS just get the first down, then worry about more.