The BIG Q - Quinten Lynch

GRUN DEE

What has happened to us that we are now scrapping the bottom of a dirty bin to try and grab some D-grade footballer.

Our list is, like Julia would say, moving forward. Lynch is about moving backwards and growing horrible facial hair (apologies to L.Dunn).

I feel like I'll be pulling this line out a lot over the coming months... to other people's crap, Melbourne says NO!

Worth a crack IMO.

In 2006-2007 when WCE had a good midfield he kicked 65 & 52 goals respectively.

Check out his stats on the following link, My linkhttp://stats.rleague.com/afl/stats/players/Q/Quinten_Lynch.html

Correct. If he was a star he would cost us too much or he would not be leaving where he came from. He has with a decent midfield a proven record as a goalkicker. He is a mature bodied forward who can also pinch hit in the middle. People scream out that we need a big bodied mature forward and then expect us to get Roughhead or Kosi. He is exactly the type of player to fit the bill.

Agree he's definitely worth thinking about. Nick Riewoldt's not available for trade.

He's got the physical attributes to play the fwd/ruck role and he's a good age. Just because he's not playing at WC doesn't faze me - they've got problems over there.

The questions for me are:

- Can he be the long target? My recollection is he got a lot of his footy on the lead, can he take an overhead mark? We don't need another PJ.

- Can he fit in with other forwards and play the game plan and not just get his big frame in the way? We don't need another Miller. It's vital to keep a co-operative and open forward line where each forward has room to operate. I just don't know enough about him or how this works to know.

In the news he knocked back $300K and he'd be looking for 3 years so he's no bargain basement - we'd have to be convinced he was valur.

Edited by old55

For mine he is the type of NQR who will not cost the eartth and that may fill a role for us.

I agree with this. But I emphasise "may".

We just got rid of Miller. We really don't need another one.

Tend to agree here too.

I'd prefer a solid type forward who can exert physical pressure in a confined space close to goal whilst the others work off of that to our advantage. IMO we don't necessarily need the tallest KPF available but someone who is strong, good 1 on 1 and obviously an accurate kicking. Lynch is probably not the sort I envisage.

When I read this, all I could think about was Matthew Pavlich. One could only dream.... :rolleyes:

I.A.H.B.!

(In a heart beat!)

Lynch is a pretty good long range kick at goal and has a physical presence but he does need a fair bit of space to work in. We have mobile forwards in Watts and Jurrah and Petterd who is a traditional lead up forward. I'd prefer a solid type forward who can exert physical pressure in a confined space close to goal whilst the others work off of that to our advantage. IMO we don't necessarily need the tallest KPF available but someone who is strong, good 1 on 1 and obviously an accurate kicking. Lynch is probably not the sort I envisage.

Tend to agree with this. He may be a huge man - but he is at his best on the (long) lead and has a big turning circle. Anyway , nobody has asked the key question.... is he a hard working ,forward thinking, team orientated person?

Edited by hoopla

Tend to agree with this. He may be a huge man - but he is at his best on the (long) lead and has a big turning circle. Anyway , nobody has asked the key question.... is he a hard working ,forward thinking, team orientated person?

Also he will be 28 soon, may be past his best and is wanting a lot of money and a long contract, something only the Suns may be willing to provide.

Also he will be 28 soon, may be past his best and is wanting a lot of money and a long contract, something only the Suns may be willing to provide.

That has been the speculation all year that he is sown up with the Suns thus the limited game time this year....

Agree he's definitely worth thinking about. Nick Riewoldt's not available for trade.

He's got the physical attributes to play the fwd/ruck role and he's a good age. Just because he's not playing at WC doesn't faze me - they've got problems over there.

The questions for me are:

- Can he be the long target? My recollection is he got a lot of his footy on the lead, can he take an overhead mark? We don't need another PJ.

I think that's a valid concern - when I think Lynch I think marks on a long lead and long but inaccurate kicks. I'm sure he's taken an overhead mark before, but I can't recall seeing it.

people have been calling Lynch our Leigh Brown... it's too early for us to look at this type of player... collingwood brought brown in when they were on the verge of their premiership window... we're not there yet... we can look to get this type of player in a couple of years time, but for now, we look at players in their early 20's or approaching their mid 20's... in a couple of years time, when there may be a possible flag in sight, then we look at bringing in the Lynch types...

I think he is certainly worth a look at.

Believe me if Leigh Brown is making a name for himself at present, then the big Q can revive his career.

A complete change for him, new club with an emerging young midfield and attacking backline could be just the ticket.

if we get another skinny tall into the club we will just become a soft running doggies team doomed to never win it. we need more than that.

• 3 weeks later...