Gameday Thread

titan_uranus

All the things that interest me in AFL football were absent from this game - and this was true before the first bounce, it had nothing to do with the result. So much so that I wasn't even going to bother watching but for the grace of a TV being nearby where I was - I decided that I'd stop revolving my family life around when the footy was on this week rather than in two weeks time.

If that doesn't meet your standards for supporter attitude then I'm afraid that is your problem and not mine.

Wow... You sir, suck.

Melbourne were playing in this game and that's all that needs to be there to interest me.

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny how little mention has been made of the missing players, today. No one has commented, on what might have been, if Davey was there; if Sylvia hadn't been a last minute replacement; if Grimes was playing and in the forward line, Petterd had been there - they weren't.

Instead, we had to play some second string players and ask them to step up, just as Dunn did a few games back (even if he was quiet today). Unfortunately, I think the games they played, showed they will most likely, not be part of the champion team we are developing.

I don't buy that crap, that some guys didn't put in. They all put in - to the best of their abilities - and some were/are, just not good enough.

If anything constructive came out of today - apart form LJ's Mark of the Century (although I'm sure we all want to see him do even better!)- it is,the recruitment guys know now which holes have to be filled, before we can move on.

Of course, it was not good enough. Of course, we should have won - if for no other reason than to get that away game (especially in Adelaide) monkey off our back - we did't. But, perhaps now we know why and it was not lack of endevour.

Edited by BangkokDemon

It's funny how little mention has been made of the missing players, today. No one has commented, on what might have been, if Davey was there; if Sylvia hadn't been a last minute replacement; if Grimes was playing and in the forward line, Petterd had been there

If wishes were fishes....

Simple fact is, we thought we had depth, but it was shown today it's unreliable at best. Just showed that our list still needs a lot of work, been a fair bit of chicken counting going on this year...

I wouldn't be questioning Nasher's mindset as a fan of this club.

Let's be honest with ourselves here, people.

Aside from our horrific record at AAMI and the desire to turn that around - there was little in this game other than a chance to give players who, are or recently were, on the cusp being moved on further games (Newton, Bail, Dunn, Batram, Warnock), and getting games into our core talent.

If wishes were fishes....

Simple fact is, we thought we had depth, but it was shown today it's unreliable at best. Just showed that our list still needs a lot of work, been a fair bit of chicken counting going on this year...

Spot on.

I wouldn't be questioning Nasher's mindset as a fan of this club.

Let's be honest with ourselves here, people.

Aside from our horrific record at AAMI and the desire to turn that around - there was little in this game other than a chance to give players who, are or recently were, on the cusp being moved on further games (Newton, Bail, Dunn, Batram, Warnock), and getting games into our core talent.

All you "supporters" with "oh well" attitudes can get stuffed. Sure, I don't always expect us to win but I always WANT us to win, and it always hurts when we don't.

What about Junior's retirement and 250th? Mean nothing too?

I don't know if your spirit has been killed off by recent times, or you just legitimately don't care, but take your apathetic attitude elsewhere.

All you "supporters" with "oh well" attitudes can get stuffed. Sure, I don't always expect us to win but I always WANT us to win, and it always hurts when we don't.

I don't know if your spirit has been killed off by recent times, or you just legitimately don't care, but take your apathetic attitude elsewhere.

I'd back myself as a pretty good supporter of this footy club in good times and bad.

And Junior's farewell game is an effload bigger than his 250th.

I want to win, but this loss, after the fight they showed in an important game last week, does not hurt. At all.

Last week was the equivalent of a final, and this game was the equivalent of a practice game in October.

Ok. Where do you want it mate. Keep of the angry pills. "Oh well" we tried our best. :P

Well done dees ;)

I'd back myself as a pretty good supporter of this footy club in good times and bad.

I want to win, but this loss, after the fight they showed in an important game last week, does not hurt. At all.

Ummmm.... I don't know about you, but can anyone else see how much of a contradiction this is?

I hope you go away to the snow when we make finals in the future so you don't keep passionate supporters from being able to get tickets.

Spot on.

That's why I made the comment. If wishes were fishes, indeed.

It is also probably true, that today gave the club a chance to "test" some fringe players, because, thanks to injury, others were not available.

Guys like Newton (particularly), must know, they were playing for their careers with the Dees, today.

Sadly, they had the chance to prove themselves by playing in a winning side - but couldn't do it.

Neither could some of the "automatic selections" - because they did not have people like Davey, Sylvia and Grimes around them.

Therefore, they had their chance - they fluffed it.

The club now knows, to move on and find others who can fill the bill...end of story.

Ummmm.... I don't know about you, but can anyone else see how much of a contradiction this is?

I hope you go away to the snow when we make finals in the future so you don't keep passionate supporters from being able to get tickets.

Heh. Hilarious.

I'm pegging you as one of the enlightened that didn't appreciate the 'list management' and 'experimentation' that went on over the last few years?

We didn't go out as winning as first priority...

How dare we?

Where were you on that sharp fence? I was deep in the 'let's be ruthless and do what has to be done to win a flag' camp.

Does that make me a better supporter than those who wanted 'to win every game as you sacrifice the heart of clubif you don't' and those that claim a 'winning culture is more important than any draft pick?'

It probably does.

But I didn't run over any fans that thought that. I tried reason and respect.

And sometimes condescension...

That's why I made the comment. If wishes were fishes, indeed.

It is also probably true, that today gave the club a chance to "test" some fringe players, because, thanks to injury, others were not available.

Guys like Newton (particularly), must know, they were playing for their careers with the Dees, today.

Sadly, they had the chance to prove themselves by playing in a winning side - but couldn't do it.

Neither could some of the "automatic selections" - because they did not have people like Davey, Sylvia and Grimes around them.

Therefore, they had their chance - they fluffed it.

The club now knows, to move on and find others who can fill the bill...end of story.

Well put Banga. If that's what you were implying then I'm with ya. Actually will be good to see how the list looks after we "trim the fat" this year, got the job half done last year and feel like our list we be a lot more settled and of a reasonably even standard come the start of 2011.

Heh. Hilarious.

I'm pegging you as one of the enlightened that didn't appreciate the 'list management' and 'experimentation' that went on over the last few years?

We didn't go out as winning as first priority...

How dare we?

Where were you on that sharp fence? I was deep in the 'let's be ruthless and do what has to be done to win a flag' camp.

Does that make me a better supporter than those who wanted 'to win every game as you sacrifice the heart of clubif you don't' and those that claim a 'winning culture is more important than any draft pick?'

It probably does.

But I didn't run over any fans that thought that. I tried reason and respect.

And sometimes condescension...

Ohhhh so we were tanking today? Of course, how did I not realise?! That makes it all better then. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Nasher, on 22 August 2010 - 04:10 PM, said:

All the things that interest me in AFL football were absent from this game . . .

You mean to say LJ's Mark wasn't worth seeing ?

Really? Cause I would have sworn you were interested in the Melbourne Demons. I must have mistaken you for someone else then.

Not just the Melbourne Demons. The Melbourne Demons and their journey to a premiership. This match offered plenty of the former and none of the latter. It was the fourth test when you've already won the Ashes. Sure, you might still watch, but you know the result has no bearing on anything of consequence.

Ohhhh so we were tanking today? Of course, how did I not realise?! That makes it all better then. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Clever.

Deflections of arguments are always used by those who don't won't to argue.

Tell me how you can say that this game was important and 'any game where Melbourne is playing is worth winning' and balance that with what we did, and some fans encouraged, over the last few years?

We are running out of these pointless games I will admit. In fact this game may have been it.

But it was still a nothing game.

yeah it is a nothing game.... no point trying to win interstate, come 2011, the boys can treat every interstate game as a nothing game. FOOL. :rolleyes:

Who said anything about "the boys"?

Why does everyone seem to assume that because a supporter says they don't care about a match, they're also implying that they think the players shouldn't care?

Clever.

Deflections of arguments are always used by those who don't won't to argue.

Tell me how you can say that this game was important and 'any game where Melbourne is playing is worth winning' and balance that with what we did, and some fans encouraged, over the last few years?

We are running out of these pointless games I will admit. In fact this game may have been it.

But it was still a nothing game.

Are we talking about today or the previous 2 years? Because I think you're either confused or just clutching for straws. You do know we're trying to win this year right? You do know we're working towards becoming a better team which *gasp* means we actually try to win games?

Who said anything about "the boys"?

Why does everyone seem to assume that because a supporter says they don't care about a match, they're also implying that they think the players shouldn't care?

Get your facts straight... Why would the players care if apparently it's a "nothing game"... oh wait, are you saying it's not a nothing game? Either way you've done yourself in here and totally contradicted your own point.