Who will be cut at the end of the season?

Mad_Melbourne

I have been thinking about this a little bit, we would probably need to drop 4 or 5 players i think, and i was just wondering what peoples feel about who needs to go and who should stay on the list.

personally i think there is really only one obvious delisting at the moment on our senior list, and that is Daniel Bell.

Brad Miller is a possibility, but he is also in our leadership group.

Paul Johnson is another possibility, but he is our only other real ruckman on our senior list, besides gawn and fitzpatrick who we are yet to see.

then from there its anyones guess

will Cameron Bruce retire, he played his best game for season 2010 today against essendon but would we be fussed to see him go gold coast, or a coaching role at the club?

Personally Kyle Cheney is one to be dropped for mine, i dont think he will do anything at afl level and is just a list clogger, but im sure there are people who disagree.

Addam Maric is another, personally i see him having talent, but is he good enough to stay, or do we have too many players in his role.

Tom Mcnamarra, is struggling to get a gig, does that mean we look to trade him?

Rookie list we can basically remove them all, although i think meeson is worth persevering and hughes aswell, but none the less this does nothing for our senior list.

would love to hear peoples thoughts.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

personally i think there is really only one obvious delisting at the moment on our senior list, and that is Daniel Bell.

Yep!

Brad Miller is a possibility, but he is also in our leadership group.

Toughie, but for some reason I don't think the MFC will get rid of him.

Paul Johnson is another possibility, but he is our only other real ruckman on our senior list, besides gawn and fitzpatrick who we are yet to see.

Will stay for another year...

will Cameron Bruce retire, he played his best game for season 2010 today against essendon but would we be fussed to see him go gold coast, or a coaching role at the club?

Will remain for sure. Would likely bow out on his own terms...

Personally Kyle Cheney is one to be dropped for mine, i dont think he will do anything at afl level and is just a list clogger, but im sure there are people who disagree.

Disagree. He's a quiet achiever. Never lets many goals get scored on him and is a real lil battler. Adds depth for our backline as well. Like the guy a lot.

Addam Maric is another, personally i see him having talent, but is he good enough to stay, or do we have too many players in his role.

Disagree. The guy needs some senior matches before we really judge! Hasn't even played for Melbourne in 2010 yet!!! Seems to be solid for Casey of late. Wait and see. He was a relatively early draft pick so hold out on him for a bit?

Tom Mcnamarra, is struggling to get a gig, does that mean we look to trade him?

Gone. Delisted. Doesn't seem to be relishing his opportunities at Casey.

Rookie list we can basically remove them all, although i think meeson is worth persevering and hughes aswell, but none the less this does nothing for our senior list.

Meesen, Hughes, Healey... all gone!

For mine: Meesen, Hughes, Healey, Bell all to get the flick. That's four from our list. Miller a possibility for sure.

And I would also like to add to the list Michael Newton.

So there's 5 certainties from me.

Edited by DeezMan

Bartram is a possibility to be cut, IMO. Cheyney will want to improve his disposal too.

I think Bartram and Dunn have really cemented their spots on the list, having finally found their niches. Bartram as a shut down defender/tagger, Dunn as a defensive half forward who is dangerous enough to still provide a target.

I would delist/ retire:

- Bell (hopeless)

- McNamara (3 years on the list and too many players ahead of him in the same position)

- Cheney (if we're serious about looking forward to a premiership we know he's not our man. a very limited player in a lot of areas)

- J.McDonald (retired... body issues unfortunately seem to be catching up to him. Not many players go to 35 years of age)

+ delist the entire rookie list except upgrade McKenzie permanently. Perhaps re-rookie Spenser.

That would mean we'd have space to draft 3 players, which is perfect for this draft. Most likely the picks will be 12, 30, 47. Also will allow us to rookie 5 players, taking a chance of a couple of speculative ruckman or VFL players

I would be a bit harsher than the OP

No point persisting with players you dont think can play either at AFL level or are going to put pressure on your current/future best 22 players

Looking forward i along with most supporters would expect us to be playing finals in 1 - 2 years time

Basing it on this you need to look at what players you currently have are able to stand up and be effective for the team when that time period is reached

Turning the list over from NQR into more youngsters and getting 1 - 2 good players out a fresh batch is by far the better option

We might even get a champion doing it that way

Delist or Trade

Meeson

PJ

Macnamara

Maric

Miller

Bell

Newton

Healey

Not convinced about

Dunn

Bartran

Needs to have a better 2011

Martin

Hughes

Retire 2010

None

Retire 2012

Bruce

McDonald

I think Bartram and Dunn have really cemented their spots on the list, having finally found their niches. Bartram as a shut down defender/tagger, Dunn as a defensive half forward who is dangerous enough to still provide a target.

I would delist/ retire:

- Bell (hopeless)

- McNamara (3 years on the list and too many players ahead of him in the same position)

- Cheney (if we're serious about looking forward to a premiership we know he's not our man. a very limited player in a lot of areas)

- J.McDonald (retired... body issues unfortunately seem to be catching up to him. Not many players go to 35 years of age)

+ delist the entire rookie list except upgrade McKenzie permanently. Perhaps re-rookie Spenser.

That would mean we'd have space to draft 3 players, which is perfect for this draft. Most likely the picks will be 12, 30, 47. Also will allow us to rookie 5 players, taking a chance of a couple of speculative ruckman or VFL players

would you think of cheney or mcnamara on our rookie list or definate not?

i agree with your post as picks much past 40 are really really hit and miss

Bartram is a possibility to be cut, IMO. Cheyney will want to improve his disposal too.

I think he has played every game this year no chance that he will be dropped.

I have been to a few Casey games I cannot see a future in:

Maric - Been average in the games I have seen and we have a number of his type who are a lot better.

Wona - as much as it grieves me to say he is injury prone just does not stay on the park

how many good games as he actually played?

Meeson - always injured and even when he is healty has shown little at Adelaide or Melb.

Spencer - like Wona is injury prone some guys just never seem to be able to stay on the park.

Healey - IMO not good enough.

Mcnamara - another one who is injury prone, we have hardly seen him however I think he is mortal danger

Bell -plays well for Casey but he is obviously mark as expendable

I'd delist from the senior list:

Bell

McNamara

P Johnson

Maric

From the rookie list:

Healey

Hughes

Meeson

Newton

Permanently upgrade McKenzie. And I think Spencer has now been on the rookie list the maximum allowed time, someone else could confirm this, so I'd also permanently upgrade him also.

You'd think we're looking at 3 picks in the National draft - plus the promotion of McKenzie and Spencer.

That's 5 delistings from the SENIOR LIST - Hughes, Healey etc are rookies and so only free up a spot for another in the rookie draft.

Definites for me are Bell, PJ and Miller.

If McDonald retires (but personally I'd like to see him go round once more) Green can come onto the veterans' list, freeing up another spot.

That leaves one more - likely to come from McNamara, Cheney, Maric

You'd think we're looking at 3 picks in the National draft - plus the promotion of McKenzie and Spencer.

That's 5 delistings from the SENIOR LIST - Hughes, Healey etc are rookies and so only free up a spot for another in the rookie draft.

Definites for me are Bell, PJ and Miller.

If McDonald retires (but personally I'd like to see him go round once more) Green can come onto the veterans' list, freeing up another spot.

That leaves one more - likely to come from McNamara, Cheney, Maric

Given that we have drafted to create a Premiership side in the past couple of years, I hope the club continues with that strategy again this year.

McNamare, Cheney and Maric have not shown sufficient to be part of that strategy. All 3 should go as well as those others named.

We need to maximise the talent, not hang on to mediocre.

And hopefully we should have a complete list of new rookies as well. Let's see if we can find another Jordie McKenzie type who will rise to the challenge rather than list cloggers who are currently enjoying Rookie status.

Maric - 4th in line (behind Bennell, Jetta and Woneaemirri) for a crumbing forward gig, and has never shown any inclination to push himself higher.

McNamara - Tough on him, wrong guy in the wrong place at the wrong time. How much defensive depth do we need?

PJ - Will never be an AFL quality player (in my opinion). Has no idea how to make the most of his physical attributes. I'd rather the short-term pain of getting games into Spencer, who has far more upside.

Bell - Obviously gone.

Bartram - Won't be cut. He's playing, and playing pretty darn well I reckon. Needs to give us more going forward, but I can't fault his defensive capabilities at all.

Miller - Sigh. Who knows how the footy department view him? I think the lack of young forwards coming through has kept him in the team for the last couple of years, but now that Dunn has gone past him he'll be getting games very rarely. Time to make the tough decision and cut him, I think.

Junior - his form early in the year was sensational, but he tapered off in the weeks leading up to his injury, and is now struggling to get back on the park. Will bow out or be tapped on the shoulder, I reckon. Better to leave on top, rather than hit round 8 next year and realise he's gone too long. One of my favourites, and it'll break my heart when it happens.

B. Miller - delist

P. Johnson - delist

D. Bell - delist

J. McDonald - retire

ROOKIES:

J. McKenzie - promote

J. Meesen - delist

M. Newton - delist

D. Hughes - delist

J. Spencer - delist (look to redraft in national draft 3rd round, late 40's pick)

R. Healy - delist

After the 4 senior listed players departing and McKenzie's promotion that gives us our required 3 picks for the national draft. Personaly I'd look to re-draft Spencer with our 3rd pick and use our first 2 picks on the best young kids in the draft and then draft 6 fresh players for the rookie draft.

Cheney has been solid all year at Casey, and unlike McNamara and Maric he has actually cracked the demons squad to add to his games total.

Senior list gone:

Miller

PJ

Bell (injuries killed his career)

McNamara* *(possibility to be redrafted as a rookie)

Maric* *(can see him being offered a rookie contract as the club will want to retain him to see if he comes good)

Rookie list gone:

Spencer (promoted)

McKenzie (promoted)

Healey

Hughes (unlucky, but gone)

Meesen

Newton

This will allow us to have 3x ND selections, with 4 rookie draft selections (if we get Maric and Tommy on the Rookie list, otherwise there would be 6 selections)

Not a big overhaul by any means.

Given that we have drafted to create a Premiership side in the past couple of years, I hope the club continues with that strategy again this year.

McNamare, Cheney and Maric have not shown sufficient to be part of that strategy. All 3 should go as well as those others named.

We need to maximise the talent, not hang on to mediocre.

And hopefully we should have a complete list of new rookies as well. Let's see if we can find another Jordie McKenzie type who will rise to the challenge rather than list cloggers who are currently enjoying Rookie status.

Spot on.

No doubt we'd look to rookie a couple of giants too, see if we can turn them into the next Mark Jamar.

This is the time to start being ruthless. If you couldn't get a game this year, then you're unlikely to get a game in the future (obviously I don't include first year players or players who have been injured like Blease). Most players who I think had question marks over them have been given an opportunity this season, or will be given an opportunity shortly (Maric will definitely play before the year is out IMO).

McNamara is still the only one I'm unsure of. Would look to rookie him if possible. Buy him a couple more years, as he was drafted bottom age and has struggled with injuries.

bail will be a champ, will be on our list unless of course he leaves?

but i dont think he will leave and i think he will be part of our best 22 in a year or 2

I agree that Spencer and McKenzie have to be upgraded, so we need to find 5 spots on the senior list in all.

The obvious first.

Bell - He's been around the club for long enough and has never shown us anything.

Others all have their strengths and weaknesses, so it's hard to say. Personally I'm looking at the following:

Miller - He is regarded as a strong leader in the group and has acted as a protector to the young forwards, but he isn't good enough in the long run to keep around. Possible trade bait, although I don't know that we'd get many takers.

PJ - Has all the talent in the world, is a huge guy, but never really grabbed the chance he was offered. It's a huge pity given his athletic ability, but there are a couple of young rucks in training who will quickly move past him in the pecking order.

McNamara - He's been serviceable nut not great at Casey. I know he's young, but so are the majority of our backline. The big question is who will he take a spot from? We already have too many tall/medium backs, and he is at the bottom of that heap.

Junior - He's been great this season, and on form could go again. I just have a feeling that this hammy issue could wind up spelling the end for him, much like Richo a couple of years ago. We've been told that there is a complication relating to the area where tendon was removed for his knee. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see him recovering from this one.

Lucky to avoid the chop/On notice:

Cheney - His saving grace is his hardness. His disposal is sub-par, but he won't take a backward step and can dish it out with the best of them. Needs to become more reliable with his kicking and work on his defensive pressure a bit more.

Bartram - He's been great this year. I had him as a certain delisting six months ago, but he's reinvented himself as a small defender. As with Cheney, his issue is his terrible disposal. We can't afford to have the ball in his hands. I don't really see him surviving in the long run unless he can remedy this flaw, but for now he's had a great season and has earned more time.

Wona - His best is amazing and the club will be hoping that he avoids further injuries and regains that brilliance. His year has once again been ruined by injury, although he's playing regular football now and regaining fitness. He needs to get a big preseason in next year and come back fitter and leaner. If he can play most games next year he'll be fine. If he has another year like the 2009 I don't think he can be persisted with.

The rookies:

As I said above, Spencer and McKenzie to be elevated. The rest are gone. This gives us plenty of room on the rookie list to fish for new talent in the VFL and other state leagues.

Guest Rojik of the Arctic

B. Miller - delist

P. Johnson - delist

D. Bell - delist

J. McDonald - retire

ROOKIES:

J. McKenzie - promote

J. Meesen - delist

M. Newton - delist

D. Hughes - delist

J. Spencer - delist (look to redraft in national draft 3rd round, late 40's pick)

R. Healy - delist

After the 4 senior listed players departing and McKenzie's promotion that gives us our required 3 picks for the national draft. Personaly I'd look to re-draft Spencer with our 3rd pick and use our first 2 picks on the best young kids in the draft and then draft 6 fresh players for the rookie draft.

Pretty close to my thoughts except I would promote Spencer as well and look at cutting McNamara to free up the space for him. Sure he looks like a baby giraffe but most rucks do until they are 24/25.

I'd give Maric one more year and as he was signing the contract I would tell him that the contract is his future: he can either make himself an AFL footballer and get more like it or he can cruise along and end up a couldabeen in the bush leagues. He has the talent but it is up to him to make it work.

It is a shame about Meeson. I think he was on the cusp of being a good/OK player when injuries hit but we are no a charity and to many good rookies end up making it for us to clog the list on him if his body isn't right.

For the 70th time, Maric is contracted for 2011.

D'oh. Missed that.

Edited by Rojik of the Arctic

I think that anybody listing Miller and PJ in their delistings should just accept the fact that these 2 will unfortunately be on our list next season.

PJ- whether we like it or not, we need a second ruckman in case Jamar goes down injured. Spenser is a massive dud, Meesan injured/crap and Gawn & Fitzpatrick are 2 years away from even playing senior football. Until we bring in another good ruckman, PJ stays. Full stop. And that coming from someone who thinks he's pretty hopeless.

Miller- has a big body and is in the leadership group. Leadership and a big body are two things that are held in a very high regard in a young and inexperienced team. He's decent enough depth i guess. Is pretty lucky, but I think he scrapes by with another 1 year deal.

The process of getting rid of the dreck off our list takes a few years.

Players to delist 2011 (assuming Bell, McNamara and Cheney delisted this year imo)

- PJ

- Miller

- Joel MacDonald, unless he shows big amounts of improvement in skills and decision making

- Martin, unless he has a break out season next year

- Wona, unless he has a break out season next year

- Maric, unless he has a break out season next year

Oh, and btw...

Anyone saying Maric won't be delisted because he has a contract... there have been plenty and plenty of demons players (and from other clubs as well), who have been delisted with a year to run on their contract.

Could simply pay them out the last year of their contract. In Maric's case, I doubt it would be more than $70,000. The dollars saved from not keeping him on, and recruiting a base-payment draft pick instead probably outweigh the small amount of money in costs to delist him

Oh, and btw...

Anyone saying Maric won't be delisted because he has a contract... there have been plenty and plenty of demons players (and from other clubs as well), who have been delisted with a year to run on their contract.

Could simply pay them out the last year of their contract. In Maric's case, I doubt it would be more than $70,000. The dollars saved from not keeping him on, and recruiting a base-payment draft pick instead probably outweigh the small amount of money in costs to delist him

The other alternative would be to do what we did with Newton and Meesen last year: delist with the promise of a rookie spot. That option might depend on whether or not the player has to agree though.