Matthews: Bar northern raiders

H_T

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Matthews article courtesy of AFL website:

However this year in footy is the worst possible time to be a struggling team with a talent-depleted list. Over the next few years, the new teams on the Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney have been given the cream of the next generation draftees.

They have also been given the right to recruit an uncontracted player from each of the other 16 teams. It would be diabolical and unfair if Melbourne and Richmond in their current situations were further weakened by losing a player or two to the new expansion clubs.

They are already starting behind scratch and can’t afford the body blow of having one of their few good players pinched through the free agency granted to establish and build competitive 17th and 18th teams. That may be critically important for the big-picture growth of the national competition but any team that wins five games or less cannot be further weakened to strengthen the expansion clubs.

It seems very reasonable to me that clubs in this category should somehow have their players declared off-limits to the northern raiders.

What are your thoughts regarding what Matthews has stated ?

Matthews article courtesy of AFL website:

What are your thoughts regarding what Matthews has stated ?

We don't know how hard GC17 or GWS are looking at us, so it's a tough call

I don't want anymore charity at this club-We have to Stand up

But these Northern Raiders should be transparent in their dealing as well.

We're obviously going to be biased here, but I think that there's no reason Melbourne and Richmond should get protection. The reason we're down the bottom of the ladder is that our players aren't as good as those from other clubs. Which suggests that GC and GWS are going to pick players from teams other than Richmond and Melbourne. If they thought our players were good enough to take, then we wouldn't be struggling to begin with. The fact that we're bad means that the likelihood of a player being nabbed from us is lower - without the need for any exceptions being made.

We're obviously going to be biased here, but I think that there's no reason Melbourne and Richmond should get protection. The reason we're down the bottom of the ladder is that our players aren't as good as those from other clubs. Which suggests that GC and GWS are going to pick players from teams other than Richmond and Melbourne. If they thought our players were good enough to take, then we wouldn't be struggling to begin with. The fact that we're bad means that the likelihood of a player being nabbed from us is lower - without the need for any exceptions being made.

To play the devil's advocate if I may Chook. If I were GC17, looking for a strong up & comer KP player for down back. James Frawley would be one player that would fit that bill. Splashing a bit of money around and a photo of G.Ablett might entice such a player if that player were to keep his options open come October.

I wouldn't have thought that the GC17 would be totally ignoring our young crop of developing talent. Don't be so sure.

Utter nonsense. The reason we're rubbish right now is our senior players. The reason we should be worried is our teenagers. Given the state of our forwardline, how would you feel if GC decided to throw a huge wad of cash at Jack Watts and nab him while he's young? Suddenly we find ourselves without a forwardline for the foreseeable future. How about if GWS manage to grab Scully? Do you really believe our big rebuild could survive that? Even better, given that we're just beginning to find our feet financially, would the club survive it? What a blow to morale and membership to be stripped of our prized no. 1 draft picks before they've even begun to have an impact.

In this case, Mathews is 100% correct. It's not just about giving the bottom clubs a chance to rebuild, it's about preventing them from folding altogether.

To play the devil's advocate if I may Chook. If I were GC17, looking for a strong up & comer KP player for down back. James Frawley would be one player that would fit that bill. Splashing a bit of money around and a photo of G.Ablett might entice such a player if that player were to keep his options open come October.

I wouldn't have thought that the GC17 would be totally ignoring our young crop of developing talent. Don't be so sure.

And we would then have to Weigh up what the AFL deems as a compensatory Draft Pick. If Players want to go, there is no point stopping them.

What you must do is deal Hard ball for a Replacement.

And we would then have to Weigh up what the AFL deems as a compensatory Draft Pick. If Players want to go, there is no point stopping them.

Really, if the club (list managers; coaches;FD in general) were fair dinkum they would have already sold the future to the players to prevent such a scenario happening at Melbourne. ie. Excitement; youth; building towards the ultimate (flag), etc.

Contract extensions is a preventative measure.

There is no hardball. There is a secret formula known only to the powers that be in the AFL, and they will not deviate from their position on that. If Ablett goes, Geelong will not get anywhere near his value, in particular given that he was a father-son and thus quite a low draft pick (bear in mind that position in the draft is one of the criteria in deciding compensation). I can guarantee that if any of our players go we will be shafted in the compensation with no right of appeal. Feel free to quote me on that.

There is no hardball. There is a secret formula known only to the powers that be in the AFL, and they will not deviate from their position on that. If Ablett goes, Geelong will not get anywhere near his value, in particular given that he was a father-son and thus quite a low draft pick (bear in mind that position in the draft is one of the criteria in deciding compensation). I can guarantee that if any of our players go we will be shafted in the compensation with no right of appeal. Feel free to quote me on that.

Sure there is Hard ball, This club has just got to learn it fast. Yes i agree Geelong will get shafted the first time but for our list it could well be a fair trade.

The VFL will be far more populiar as a recruiting zone from next year & that could be very fruitfull.

Really, if the club (list managers; coaches;FD in general) were fair dinkum they would have already sold the future to the players to prevent such a scenario happening at Melbourne. ie. Excitement; youth; building towards the ultimate (flag), etc.

Contract extensions is a preventative measure.

Yes, But Players will go. Whether from our list or from up the road...GC17 & GWS will have full lists within 2 years.

I hope we sign up all our champs

good & Tight don't but as the saying says.."Every Man Has His Price"

And these Corporate Raiders are not going to go away

Utter nonsense. The reason we're rubbish right now is our senior players. The reason we should be worried is our teenagers. Given the state of our forwardline, how would you feel if GC decided to throw a huge wad of cash at Jack Watts and nab him while he's young? Suddenly we find ourselves without a forwardline for the foreseeable future. How about if GWS manage to grab Scully? Do you really believe our big rebuild could survive that? Even better, given that we're just beginning to find our feet financially, would the club survive it? What a blow to morale and membership to be stripped of our prized no. 1 draft picks before they've even begun to have an impact.

In this case, Mathews is 100% correct. It's not just about giving the bottom clubs a chance to rebuild, it's about preventing them from folding altogether.

Of course. But every club currently existing is in the same position as us. There are only so many players that are going to be targeted, however, and the fact remains that James Frawley or Jack Watts are not that much better than some of the other key position players currently playing that we deserve some sort of special recognition. Nor is it any worse for us if they are taken, than it would be for Carlton if Kreuzer were to go, or any number of other clubs. The danger is there, granted, but my position, unclouded by Melbourne bias, is that other clubs deserve all the benefits that we get.

I would put it to you that due to the fact that, as we all know, you can't win a game of footy with a bunch of eighteen year olds, the Gold Coast will be looking to pick up older, "ready-made" players, because their desire for immediate success will be quite high. Thus, every club needs to be equally worried that their current stars may be looked at.

Basically, I don't see why Melbourne, who are in the position of having a large number of young players (and are thus going to ride out the storm of shallow drafts to come better than, say, Adelaide) with no real "stars," should be given anything that clubs such as Geelong, with a large number of likely targets for the new teams, (but a future with fewer exciting young prospects than us), aren't also given. I don't argue that we may be hard-hit, but I would say that we won't be so hard-hit as to render us doomed. In fact, there is a chance we won't be touched at all.

Edited by Chook

Of course. But every club currently existing is in the same position as us. There are only so many players that are going to be targeted, however, and the fact remains that James Frawley or Jack Watts are not that much better than some of the other key position players currently playing that we deserve some sort of special recognition. Nor is it any worse for us if they are taken, than it would be for Carlton if Kreuzer were to go, or any number of other clubs. The danger is there, granted, but my position, unclouded by Melbourne bias, is that other clubs deserve all the benefits that we get.

I would put it to you that due to the fact that, as we all know, you can't win a game of footy with a bunch of eighteen year olds, the Gold Coast will be looking to pick up older, "ready-made" players, because their desire for immediate success will be quite high. Thus, every club needs to be equally worried that their current stars may be looked at.

Basically, I don't see why Melbourne, who are in the position of having a large number of young players (and are thus going to ride out the storm of shallow drafts to come better than, say, Adelaide) with no real "stars," should be given anything that clubs such as Geelong, with a large number of likely targets for the new teams, (but a future with fewer exciting young prospects than us), aren't also given. I don't argue that we may be hard-hit, but I would say that we won't be so hard-hit as to render us doomed. In fact, there is a chance we won't be touched at all.

Absolutely Right Chook. We are in exactly the same position as 15 other clubs, and i do not want to be labelled a Basket Case again.

Free Agency is coming..And you can do one of two things...Sit Down in the corner and get all upset about what a travesty it is (Which it might be, but it's here after this year) OR we as a Club can Stand Up and say "Right we are going to get the best recruiters around & we are going Fight" because do not forget....Not all Recruiting moves made by these 2 corporate Raiders will work out.

I suspect Melbourne and Richmond will be two clubs very high on the list of clubs to target for good young players. If I were GC or WS it is what I would do, we're a soft target at the moment, given our position on the ladder, last week's performace, our inability to hold onto good players etc.