Memo MFC: Addressing Onfield Leadership

H_T

Cue: Flashing Neon lights... -

You don't EDUCATE a young player on how to play the game, you SHOW them. Either by telling them what to do and being there to watch them and highlight how they did something right... or you do it yourself, and then highlight how you did it right.

The OP may have been a bit indirect... asking demons players to remonstrate with other players... but I think most people would understand he's talking about being physical, making the Hawks earn it... REMINDING them that they can't push our players around without KNOWING they'll be fought back.

It doesn't matter if the remonstrator loses, it doesn't matter if they come off second best... the POINT is that a message is sent. To the opposition, and more importantly to the rest of the team. It's like saying "You may beat us on the scoreboard, and you may beat us physically... but mentally we don't drop our heads or hearts. We'll fight you to the last siren. And in a couple of years you'll see us do this when we're YOUR size... when that day comes, I hope you remember this." The current-day Hawks were smashed physically and a physical reaction was demanded by coaches and Hawk luminaries alike. And now look at them. One of the more feared and physical outfits going around. Would that we could be as god as them in this regard. You think they got like that by just racking up champion data stats?"

I've had it up to here with this miss congeniality approach. I want flags, and I want us to bruise and hurt opposition clubs who stand in our way.

Well said. Do you eat 4-5 x Weetbix for breakfast too ? ;)

In all seriousness, Hawthorn 3-4 years back were in the same boat and they made a statement. I shouldn't have to remind anyone what or who that statement was against. It is well documented. Here is a clue though, it was against their arch enemy. Come to think of it, this week we face our old arch enemy, and we've been pushed around a bit by them the last couple of years.........

Easiest way to look at it for those that don't understand this post is by taking a look at the powerhouse clubs over the past 30 years (and probably longer - I don't go back that far - someone might be able to help out!).

Essendon and Hawthorn in the 80's and early 90's were ruthless. They had a group of players that played all over the ground, and any sign of an attempt of physical pressure from the opposition, there was always someone there to jump in and lend a hand. Ok, there are a lot more free kicks paid behind the play these days, but both these teams were feared by a lot of players.

Kangaroos in the mid-late 90's were bloody tough too. Archer defines toughness, but very rarely was he dirty. Then they also had the likes of Carey and Stevens who would never back down from a wrestle, especially if it were because of the way the oppostion treated a younger player.

How can we forget Essendon's attitude toward us in the 2000 GF? They were ruthless on a younger MFC, especially on the scoreboard. They hit us with everything they had, and we were weak. Schwarz was one of not many who wwas heavily involved in the physical stuff - from memory was it his last game?

Then turn your attention to Brisbane in the early 2000's and obviously Geelong in the later part of the decade, Brisbane especially. They bullied teams, they stuck up for each other, they were by far the best team I have seen in my lifetime of 30 years. What made them good? The way they treated every member of that team like they were all family. You take on one brother, you take on 21 of his other brothers. I think even Simon Black said that during his Norm Smith speech (the part about the family bond). Their onfield leaders consisted of Voss, Scott twins, Lynch, Power, Aker, Mal Michael, hell even Martin Pike put his hand up. When you have a look at their teams during the 3peat, there weren't too many champions there, but they had the hunger and respect of each other.

We don't have to be the dirtiest team in the AFL, but we need to be the team that is renowned for sticking up for our mates. The clubs I mentioned above did it and look what happened...PREMIERSHIPS.

I don't want to hear the excuse that we don't have the size about us to do the damage - surely with the weight programs and all the boxing training that the sides do these days, we should have a group of 6-8 players, scattered all over the ground, who can stand up and be counted.

All I know is the insipid team of basketballers I saw on Saturday made my blood boil. I hope during the week they pull in the 'bigger' boys of the team and remind them that now the entire competition and even some of thier own fan base think they are physically and mentally weak! See how that sits with them!

Then get Grinter, Strawbs, Stynes & Neitz in the rooms before the game to show them all what tough looks like!

Then, I want to see them running out on Saturday with steam coming out of thier ears! Like true Demons! I want to see them run hard at the man and even harder at the ball. I want them to show the entire competition what a physical 'contest' against a Melbourne player is going to be from here on in! It's going to hurt and WE WILL NOT BACK DOWN! It fact we will charge into it with fire in our eyes!

Put thoughts of suspension out of your mind, just go hard! No regrets, no remorse! I don't even care if we come off second best, getting in a fight and losing is better than running away from one all together. I don't even care if we lose on the scoreboard, as long as the opposition walks off the ground and wakes up the next morning with aches and groans in his body, knowing that Melbourne inflicted that pain and that one day soon, he'll have to face that again!

If I saw even that, I'd relight my fire and refuel my passion straight away! (Not a reference to my membership status - I am paid up and proud.)

I can put up with the fact that our team were outplayed by a well drilled and smarter outfit in Hawthorn. Despite the Hawks missing a few of their senior players.

I can put up with dropped marks or mistakes made by some of our younger players that are finding their feet at AFL level (ie. 1st, 2nd year players).

But what I cannot stomach is this:

What really upset me was the MFC players - in most cases the senior MFC players - lack of onfield leadership on Saturday. Hawthorn players pushing and shoving them around, yet the Mfc players just took it with no offer of retaliation. Guys like Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell, Campbell Brown were aggressive at the player with the ball. When they tackled the Melbourne player, they tackled the player into submission and rubbed the players faces into the ground. When they dived into packs for the ball they went in with intent and purpose. To not only obtain the ball, but hurt the opposition player. Those very players set a precedence on Saturday for Hawthorn, they set the tone and the rest of the Hawks followed suit. Yet the Melbourne senior players took a back seat. Brad Green the exception.

When I see a Melbourne player being pushed around , I want to see them give it back , I want to see a Melbourne player hurt the opposition and I would love to see teammates coming into support. Not walk away or brush it off, or not remonstrate. It makes me sick. Push 'em back ! As long as it's legal it's fine. It gives a message to the opposition.

"Stick up for your club, your supporters. You're not weak. But you sure as hell show it that you are !"

The senior players should be leading the way. At the moment they're mentally weak.

TARGET TEN

Cameron Bruce. James McDonald. Brad Miller. Matthew Bate. Brent Moloney. Nathan Jones. Matthew Warnock. Mark Jamar. Aaron Davey. Jared Rivers.

These 10 players need to make a stand and lead the way for the younger 1st, 2nd, and 3rd year players. After Round 1 it's exactly the opposite. I don't care if we see a couple of reports. Get tough, get aggressive, set the tone, by all means do it legally, but sure as hell make sure there are no backward steps and do your supporters proud. Doing this makes others walk taller and breeds CONFIDENCE

At least the members and supporters can go away from the game thinking, "gee, the players despite the loss actually gave something, they cared, they were aggressive, they were on the front foot, they showed the younger players how to be physical and what to do."

I'm not letting the coaching department get off lightly here either.

Communication. These senior players need to be told. Dean Bailey, you're the messenger. If you can't relay these thoughts to the senior players, something is wrong.

Some of these players have previously expressed their desire to earn back respect in the off season. Well, they've got to walk the talk now. It's no use coming out saying we're "gunna" do this "gunna" do that. At the moment their just "gunna's", not "doer's"

How important is on-field leadership ?

It's bloody essential.

This reminds me when you are trying to push members like me around. Only rassin- HT, I think you are spot on.When the Reverand(Neil Daniher) coached us he asked the players to be ruthless. Well they at least stood up to be counted on most occassions. It seems the players just do not respect the football department and themselves.I differ however,in that I thought Jones and Rivers certainly had a dip and I noticed you did not have Green in your 10- thank God - because I thought he was not only courageous ,he showed excellent leadership to come back and lead by example.And I note you did state Green was an exception. Great post-HT(FOR ONCE).

Edited by jayceebee31