Stef Martin

kegs

Now this is just my opinion so dont get shitty but is it just me or is Martin a crab. Now dont get me wrong I am a demons man and im not a hater but I dont think the kid can play at all. People keep putting him in as a future star but he can kick at all let alone kick goals as a key foward, he seems very slow across the ground which means his defensive pressure isnt very good and he continually gets shoved out of the way in marking contest. Now I know the strengh issues can be fixed with a few more preseasons but I fail to see how we can fix the other issues before he simply becomes a liability. Again I hope im wrong but any opinions

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he is playing as a backman to get a feel for the game and to see what the best forwards do.

His kicking can look a little awkward but it is fairly effective. I've not seen him make many mistakes.

As with any player new to the game, he will take time, but I think he has definitely shown he has the ability to make it as a solid player, if he hasn't already.

Kicking is not that important (see essendon's new captian)

Stef Martin is a defender, a smart, fast, big bodied defender. Yes he is a liabilty with his disposal, but despite this he is often still able to release an ugly looking handball or kick that seems to always release a smaller more skilled running defender. A rare combination. He is not a forward and the more i see him there the more confident I feel saying it. Leave him in the backline and let him and the players who will recieve the ball from from him learn eachother's strengths and weaknesses.

Edited by JACKATTACK

once again this is only my opinion and I hope I am wrong cos that gives us another strong player but where exactly does he fit into our backline with the likes of Garland,frawley,rivers,macdonald,bartram,cheney,warnock and mcnarra maybe morton although he will prob end up fpward or on the wing. I just cant see on current form how he will fit in, and our future foward line looks even stronger so he wont slot in there.

Yeah that is true he just seem so slow and lets face it the guys that run that race are not the fastest in the league. I just fail to see him having a future in a team of guys that are building up the way we are

Stef is an ex-basketballer (not like Jack who played both basketball & footy from a young age - Stef was basketball only). He's still very much learning the game - positioning, use of body etc etc. I can't remember him ever having been seriously thrashed by anybody, or having made heaps of mistakes during any particular game.

The thing about Stef is that from time to time he does something great, but like a lot of young players (especially with his background) can find it hard to get into a game.

The hardest task is to turn potential into actual performance, and it's true that Stef still has that task ahead of him. If he fails to improve any further from where he is now, then your comments have substance. But with his athleticism, his intelligence, and the sheer grunt that he shows from time to time, most of us expect that there is still a helluva lot of upside to come from Stef.

We'll know for sure in about 2011.

future team in 3 years time

Backs Pettard Warnock Frawley

CHB Macdonald Garland Cheney

Centre Davey Silvia Grimes

CHF Bate Tappscott Morton

Fowards Aussie Watts Jurrah

Rucks Gawn Scully Trengove

Bench Jones Moloney Blease Gysbert

Emergency Bennel Jetta Dunn Fitzpatrick Maric Mcnamarra Plus many many more.

But as you can see there is no room for Martin in that team and it will even be hard to crack into th team as our bench and emergeny players are pretrt damn good to.

PS damn that was hard to pick

But as you can see there is no room for Martin in that team and it will even be hard to crack into th team as our bench and emergeny players are pretrt damn good to.

Martin on 2009 form would be selected ahead of 4 or 5 of those players. On Potential probably 3-4.

I disagree the only person I would put a question mark next to is Frawley and I think he has shown more then enough to be given more chances, But as always that team is my opinion and every person on this site can pick holes in it as we all have different ideas on the future

I disagree the only person I would put a question mark next to is Frawley and I think he has shown more then enough to be given more chances, But as always that team is my opinion and every person on this site can pick holes in it as we all have different ideas on the future

So all of;

Petterd (didn't play back in 2009)

Garland (didn't play in 2009)

Cheney (in and out all season)

Macdonald (delisted by lions)

Were better than Martin as backmen?

in my opinion yes they are.

Pettard started in the back line and only went foward last year as a result of no other options. Due to our building foward line I tthink he will end up settleing in defense.

Garland didnt play due to injury and im hoping in 3 years as the post stated he will be fit and healthy.

Cheney played off and on due to his young age and small body which wont be a problem in a few years and I belive he has shown more then any other defender that he has the skill and more importantly the guts to play there

And macdonald was delisted after being good enough to play all home and away games for the year, he has shown time and time again for the lions that he has the skill and leadership to play at the highest leval and I think was only delisted as a result of the coach making a big statment that no one is safe no matter who you are, such as Bradshaw being put up for trade.

Pettard started in the back line and only went foward last year as a result of no other options. Due to our building foward line I tthink he will end up settleing in defense.

Garland didnt play due to injury and im hoping in 3 years as the post stated he will be fit and healthy.

Cheney played off and on due to his young age and small body which wont be a problem in a few years and I belive he has shown more then any other defender that he has the skill and more importantly the guts to play there

And macdonald was delisted after being good enough to play all home and away games for the year, he has shown time and time again for the lions that he has the skill and leadership to play at the highest leval and I think was only delisted as a result of the coach making a big statment that no one is safe no matter who you are, such as Bradshaw being put up for trade.

PettErd is almost a good player but ulitmately he doesn't excel at any 1 particular facet of the game.

Cheney is too small, too slow and doesn't have disposal to cover for it.

I must admit that MacDonald is a mystery to me, but good players don't get delisted to make statements. No matter how big they are.

Stef Martin is one of perhaps 2 players who has shown he can play on big forwards. Warnock the other. There are a few others that can nearly do it, or might be able to do it in the future. Rivers (too slow), better as a 3rd man. And Frawley who I hold high hopes for but as yet has not played a pure defensive role consistantly enough to have him above Martin. Garland is another but if he has another bad injury he is done. Without Stef we are exposed to teams with miltiple large forwards like Brisbane or the Hawks, and plenty of other teams that have part time large forwards that can expose teams with a single large defender. Stef also has the pace to defend smaller faster forwards and can potentially grow into a 3rd ruck option.

Really??

Centre Davey Silvia Grimes

CHF Bate Tappscott Morton

Fowards Aussie Watts Jurrah

Rucks Gawn Scully Trengove

Bench Jones Moloney Blease Gysbert

Emergency Bennel Jetta Dunn Fitzpatrick Maric Mcnamarra Plus many many more.

PS damn that was hard to pick

You left out a backup ruckman... a role that hopefully young stefan will be able to fill quite capably in a few years

I dont think Pettard has been able to excell any where due to the fact that he has never spent any real time in any one position. Because our list is now starting to take shape hopefully most people can settle into a role and make it their own, and I completely disagree on Cheney I think for what he showed as a first year defender I think his upside is huge.

I think the OP has some merit. I'm not convinced that the Stefan Martin project will be a success and I don't have him in my best 22 for next year. I only see him as depth for our ruck and defence departments.

Needs to dramatically improve his kicking skills if he wants to make it as a forward.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell