Jordan Gysberts interview

RickyJ45

Pity he loves the filth!!

BomberBlitz.com Exclusive Interview - Jordan Gysberts

By Awesome Scotty

BomberBlitz: Who was your footy idol growing up and why?

Jordan Gysberts: I always was a big James Hird fan growing and tried to model my game on him because I loved the way he played.

BB: Who do you barrack for, and where do you want to go?

JG: Barrack for collingwood because of my dad

BB: What is your preferred position on-field and why?

JG: Midfield is my preferred position because I play my best football there and love to be in the action.

BB: Why you would like to come to Essendon that distances it from its rivals.

JG: 1. It’s a club rich in history and spirit and would love to be apart of it.

2. It’s a team on the rise and should be competitive in coming years and would like to help them.

3. Plus, it would be amazing to run out on ANZAC Day.

BB: Did you injuries this season set you back a lot in your preparation?

JG: Yeah, I had a groin injury through the championships and most of the season which hindered my performance, was really frustrating and didn’t get a chance to play my best footy because of the limitations of my injury.

BB: Are you nervous about making the transition from to the AFL?

JG: Not really, I’ve wanted this opportunity all my life, it’s probably more the fact its coming into reality soon so just more excited than nervous and looking forward to see what happens.

BB: Just how much growth do you have in you to make?

JG: I think I’ve got a lot of potential and improving in me still, I don’t think I’ll ever stop learning about the game and just want the best out of myself.

BB: Which footballer do you think you think you are most like on field?

JG: I think Scott Pendlebury, because we both are tall inside and outside midfielders who are good in traffic and use the ball well.

BB: Who do others say you play like?

JG: Jack Grimes from the Melbourne Football Club.

BB: What would you say are you’re greatest strengths?

JG: Clean below my knee’s, handballing, reading the play, kicking and versatility.

BB: What areas do you reckon you could improve on?

JG: My run and carry and fitness.

BB: What would your top 3 goals be once you’re drafted to an AFL club?

JG:

1. My first goal would to ask as many questions as I could.

2. Second goal would be to play round one NAB cup.

3. Third goal would be to improve my body testings throughout the year.

BB: What was it like getting an AIS scholarship for AFL?

JG: Yeah, it was a really big thrill, I missed out in my under 16 year but to get it when i was a top ager was fantastic, I’ll never forget the experience and it’s something I’ll never forget.

BB: What do you think of the prospect of possibly moving away from home?

JG:I’m not really fussed if I have to move away from home, I just want to follow my dream of playing AFL.

BB: Who has been the hardest player to play on in the under 18s?

JG: Anthony Morabito, just his strength and speed is incredible.

BB: Besides yourself, who do reckon might go in the top 5?

JG: I think Tom Scully will definitely go number one, Jack Trengove, Dustin Martin, Anthony Morabito and Ben Cunnington is my tip.

BB: How much of a step up were the championships, and what was it like playing with and against the best kids?

JG: It was a massive step up and was a good challenge to play on these kids who are just as good if not better than you.

BB: Do you read any of the media or on-line draft predictions?

JG: No, it’s just their opinion and I don’t want to be distracted from what I’m doing as well as its not relevant. If it happens, it happens.

BB: Do you have a rough idea of where you might be placed in terms of draft position?

JG: Not to sure really, just would be happy to get the opportunity.

BB: What have been your best and worst experiences out of AFL Draft camp this year? How did you find it?

JG: Best experience would be talking to the clubs and meeting the other draftee’s and coming 2nd in the kicking drill. The worst experience would be that my groins played up again so I wasn’t allowed to participate in the rest of the testing.

BB: When did you start playing footy?

JG: I started when i was 4 years old down at Auskick.

BB: You’re in year 12 this year, how has it been fitting both footy and school work?

JG:It’s been pretty tough especially when the championships where on, but have handled it pretty well because of my school helping me out with private study periods.

BB: What subjects are you doing?

JB: International studies, further mathematics, english, multimedia and business management. I studied PE studies last year in year 11

BB: Who has had the greatest influence on your footy career so far?

JG: Alan Mcconnell because he made everything simple.

BB: How old were you when you first thought you had a real chance of being an AFL player?

JG: Probably under 15’s when I made the victorian school boys team which was pretty exciting.

BB: Would you prefer to join a team that is currently in the hunt and there is limited first 22 opportunity, or one that is rebuilding where there will be more immediate opportunities?

JG: Limited 22 because you would learn so much more and when you earnt your spot it would be deserving and not just to fill in the gap.

BB: What was your junior club like?

JG: My junior clubs Montrose, Chirnside Park and Norwood were really good and have helped me a lot along the way.

BB: What advice would you give to a kid on how to get to your level?

JG: Just to work on your weakenesses.

BB: Do you play any sports other than footy?

JG: I played basketball for about 10 years.

BB: Now for the important questions. Are you a cinnamon, iced or jam centred type donut man?

JG: Iced because I’m so sweet. laughs

BB: If you could hold a Guinness World Record, what would it be for?

JG: To balance the most amount of spoons on my face.

BB: What music do you listen to?

JG: House and alternative music.

BB: If someone made a film of your life, who would you like to play the lead role?

JG: Michael Jordan because I kinda look like him.

BB: Name 3 people you would invite to dinner and why?

JG:

1. michael jordan because I’m a massive fan.

2. Jennifer hawkins for itself.

3. Hamish Blake because he’s funny and seems like a character.

BB: One place you would like to visit?

JG: Las Vegas.

BB: Three words to describe yourself?

JG: Quiet, ambitious, easy-going.

BB: What is your favourite colour M&M?

JG: Blue.

BB: Do you think milk should be added to instant coffee prior to boiling water or after?

JG: No, definitly not (prior), the milk balances out the milk in the coffee when its on top.

BB: Shorts or pants man?

JG: Love to wear shorts cause I like summer and the warm weather.

BB: Shoes or thongs?

JG: Like to wear both.

BB: Thanks for the inteview, Jordan.

for mine, his groins sound like a big issue, i wonder if the club knew about this before drafting him?

Unless our club is run by complete and utter incompetents (which it isn't), there's zero chance that BomberBlitz knows anything worth knowing about JG that the club does not know.

He didn't do the testing at draft camp, I doubt they just thought oh really, thats ok. No doubt they have investigated it and come to the conclusion that it is fine. If anything they might have thought having the manage a groin injury meant he could produce even better footy that what he did this year.

Sounds like a well balanced, determined kid - with a hint of personality which I think BP takes a bit of a liking too. After taking Jack and Tom you need someone with a bit of character! Reading about Big Gawn he seems the same way.