• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts

Steamin Demon

Hahaha, what are you preaching about then?

I spent most of year 12 partying and drinking with friends and got just under 99. We both therefore prove the theory that you shouldn't let VCE consume your life, and that you can still balance your social life with your studies and not end up working at McDonalds for the rest of your days.

Jack Watts should enjoy himself in Bali, while the rest of us are working hard to secure our future. Bastard! :P

I think it was mostly luck that got me through in the end.

I was smart enough to do that, but once at uni I quickly found out that I couldn't continue to go along like that (not for too long anyway) as I wouldn't get too far.

And by then it was harder to learn good habits.

I still sometimes feel behind the 8 ball...

This thread is a glowing endorsement for the next generation of Melbourne supporters! :D

Finally we will lose the private school snob stigma and will be able to cut it with the best Collingwood bogans. Good job.

(I do hope that despite partying in year 12, we all still learnt proper spelling, grammar and punctuation!)

Ahhh the disco biscuit, good times. Can't say I have ever rocked up to any of my SACS not knowing wat was going on but I can say I was very scatterd on some Monday mornings. Get your hands on Orange doves. Watts is a smart bloke anyway, im sure he could get an ENTER without even trying.

Orange Doves? ... ??

Nothing changes...

I think it was mostly luck that got me through in the end.

I was smart enough to do that, but once at uni I quickly found out that I couldn't continue to go along like that (not for too long anyway) as I wouldn't get too far.

And by then it was harder to learn good habits.

I still sometimes feel behind the 8 ball...

Oh yeah, if you want to do well at uni, you need to have organisational skills ingrained in you.

I'm freakishly organised which is why I was able to do no homework on weekends, and party continuously and still got a good ENTER (doing subjects which I found naturally easy was also great). But if you're moderately intelligent and have a decent memory you don't really need a huge amount of study time when sitting VCE exams/SACS... unless you do graphics/arts and then you're screwed! :wacko:

But when you're at uni, and learning is autonomous and you're juggling work and a social life as well, it gets significantly harder. Until I got to uni I was never worried about performance affecting my future, but it is very different with uni since your marks/ portfolio of work can differentiate you from other candidates when you go for a job, which is a rare commodity these days.

I've spent the last 3 years working 10 times harder than I did in 12 years of schooling combined, but I suppose when you see the value in what you're learning (as opposed to learning completely useless crap in VCE that you'll never use in real life) it is easier to dedicate yourself.

For what it's worth. I didn't even make it to the end of yr12, and didn't get to party either ('convalescing' kind of covers it)

BUT

Qualified for entry to Uni through the adult entry tests, which you can sit as soon as you'll be 21 at the start of your first semester.

Turned up not even knowing how to write a footnote reference, but plugged on through, gradually got the skills to support my extraordinary brilliance ;) and all ended well.

Meanwhile, we better keep some of you lot away from young Jack, I'm pretty sure 'orange doves' isn't a reference to field umpires, and probably not good for your game.

Perhaps there's some view that he needs to mix with the team, get to know them. He's been on a modified program all year, and has missed big chunks of the year because of school and injury. If that's the reason he's tagging along, then fair enough. You'd hate for him to be on the outer.

A practice exam isn't an exam - I don't see the problem.

if heaven forbid footy doesn't work out, by the time he finds himself ready to start uni his VCE results would have expired.

Many players study while playing footy - I think clubs encourage it these days*. Off the top of my head Martin's studying law and Jones is also taking something at uni.

Your scores are important to an extent, but there are ALWAYS ways to work around it and get into whatever uni course you want.

Indeed. There are plenty of alternative pathways and with a full-time footy career it means the 'hassle' of trying to sneak in a backdoor (by taking a couple of single units, taking another course and then transferring or even delaying entry a few years) is pretty negligible.

As a footballer, with money, Jack Watts will have no drama getting into a uni course part-time as long as he passes VCE

Why is money an issue? Domestic full-fee places no longer exist.

Edit: to anyone doing or about to go into year 12, the only piece of advice I can give you is, it's the best schooling year of your life, so make the most of it and enjoy it. Oh and don't think that once you leave school studying will get easier. It won't, so enjoy yourselves while you can.

I disagree on both counts :P

*although I remember Wallace wasn't too keen on players missing any pre-season sessions.

PS. To those who are taking Year 12 or are going to in the future, be aware that what people mean by 'little homework' can vary wildly.

A few people in this thread have mentioned they did very little work and did very well, but what constitutes being slack is pretty subjective.

For some people, they were slack in Year 12 because they handed stuff in late, spent their prac exams doodling and only studied literally the night before end-of-year exams (if they were keen).

For others, in a different peer group etc, they might identify with being slack in year 12 because they attended virtually every class, kept up-to-date with regular work, submitted everything on time, studied for major assessment/exams, etc, but didn't do any homework on weekends!

It's all relative.

Well for what it's worth....year 12 isn't the be all and end all. People put too much emphasis on enter scores.

An enter score is just a mark for a bunch of exams....some people are great at exams, others (like myself) aren't so great. It's more about your attitude towards what you want to achieve and persistance.

I got an ordinary enter score, but instead of uni i ended up doing an advanced diploma of engineering (tafe). I've now i've now been working as a mechanical engineer for 5 years, am heading towards management, have been on numerous business trips to China this year and have just bought my first house. All at the age of 25.

So if you ask me, i have no problem with Jack going on this footy trip. Let the guy unwind a bit, because god knows he's going to have a busy off season.

Head candy. Anyway Goodluck to Jack with his studies...he won't need it when he is earning 500k + in 4 years time lol.

Oh, I know. I just remember it used to be flying kangaroos and red mitsi's and all sorts...

Thank christ I grew up.

Nah there ok Distance Demon... make you run faster..... ;)

Yeah, that's what I thought, then went and made a fool of myself with Dipper as coach and he dragged me.

My biggest claim to fame - I got dragged by dipper.

PS. To those who are taking Year 12 or are going to in the future, be aware that what people mean by 'little homework' can vary wildly.

A few people in this thread have mentioned they did very little work and did very well, but what constitutes being slack is pretty subjective.

I did very little work at all* and my results reflected it (equivalent of ~65 ENTER, then getting through uni with a pass average). It has all worked out well in the end, but more out of good luck than good management. So my advice would be, you don't need to destroy your life with excess study, but don't go too far the other way, because that's very easy to do.

*MY definition of "little work": attending probably 80% of classes (less at uni) and for some subjects, only submitting the bare minimum of work required to not be excluded from exams. For the exams I relied solely on whatever I was allowed to take in (some maths/science subjects allowed a page of notes etc), and what I naturally retained in my memory from the classes I attended, plus whatever I could cram in in the hour before the exam, which usually wasn't much. In short, I relied wholly and solely on my natural ability to retain and process information easily.

The only thing that stopped my pathetic work ethic during school from roadblocking my career completely was that I was able to demonstrate a strong interest and understanding of my field of work to my first employer, and beyond that schooling results became irrelevant. As I said, good luck rather than good management.

This thread is a great demonstration that there are many paths up the mountain.

Anyway, Jack's main aim in VCE will be just to get a better ENTER score than his sisters! Competitive lad.

Edited by Akum

I love the stuff about it all being relative.... I go to an ultra academic school, where i'd be seen as one of the middle students, i mean, I'm one of 5 guys who wanted to do an outdoor-ed subject, out of 300 boys... but i'd still do twice the work and effort that guys at my old school would do. but hey, i'll get somewhere someday.

Jack,go and have a blast in Bali and drink all the Arak you like as you'll be going through a gruelling preseason soon.Me and 2 mates went to Bali when we turned 18 and had 21 days of surfing,drinking at the Sari Club,Double 6 and Gado Gado until 4am,wake up have a ham and cheese jaffle and chocolate milkshake and hit the surf,go out for dinner,hit the Sari Club.......for 21 days,took us 3 weeks to sober up.

Best holiday of my life