Newton - what's he made of?

Disco Demons

If he could only kick....

In virtually every game he has had in the seniors he has 3 -4 gettable shots for goal - most of which he has fluffed

2-3 goals per game .... a bit of confidence .... 60 goals a year and he's away....

exactly, I'm sure it's a confidence thing with him...

We give him some games, let him build his confidence, and he's away...

With Watts still pretty skinny, Jurrah to be the 2nd option, I think Juice out of the square is a must next season...

Big guy that still hasn't really filled out enough for him to become a real target for us in the forward line.

Obviously there are some guys that don't fill out - Ferguson says 'hi' - but Newton's only 22.

I still think he could add some bulk.

and some much needed aggression

I haven't seen much of this, particularly in marking contests.

has a good kicking technique in my opinion (just needs to kick the ones he should, as he gets the ones no1 expects him too).

His technique might be good but his conversion is good.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a mental thing.

I just reckon this will be pressure on him at it's best.

IMO if he comes good for one of these reasons it won't be because he's under pressure to perform or perish, it'll be because of something you allude to later on:

With no more KP forwards coming through (I still don't think Watts will do much next year) he'll have a lovely situation where he'll be needed to play at some stage, and will probably not have too much competition for space.

For all his flaws, Newton gets enough shots at goal.

If he can work on his goal kicking he'll be every chance of getting another AFL contract.

I don't know why we expect so much out of Newton. He was taken at pick 43. What do you want him to do? I dont rate him at all but lay off him. He has taken 1 mark and we expect him to be the fix to our foward line problems. Nothing special should be expected out of someone that is pick 43...

I don't know why we expect so much out of Newton. He was taken at pick 43. What do you want him to do? I dont rate him at all but lay off him. He has taken 1 mark and we expect him to be the fix to our foward line problems. Nothing special should be expected out of someone that is pick 43...

Correct.

Along with that theory though, seeing he has had a number of years on the list to show what he can do and possibly break away from the notion of 'you were pick 43 so we dont expect much from you' and he clearly has not, isnt it time to be a bit skeptical on why we offered him a two year contract last year and it is understandable that people are laying into him?

Club obviously showed faith in him giving him a contract extension when it in all seriousness was not warranted, he still has yet to repay that faith back and he takes a place on the list that someone else could possible have and bloom in?

Once he is selected then his position in the draft is irrelevant.

Club obviously showed faith in him giving him a contract extension when it in all seriousness was not warranted, he still has yet to repay that faith back and he takes a place on the list that someone else could possible have and bloom in?

When he was resigned who were our other options up forward? If he does not fire within 12 months we choof him.

Once he is selected then his position in the draft is irrelevant.

When he was resigned who were our other options up forward? If he does not fire within 12 months we choof him.

You have this one totally wrong. Just because we had no apparent options, does not mean he should have been re-signed, certainly not for 2 years. We have seen how quickly forward fortunes can turn around - now Newton can't get a game (because he is hopeless) and Robbo is gawn, yet we feel like there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

The reason given by anyone at the club for the 2 yr extension, or at least the one I keep hearing, is that he has potential and getting rid of him might have bitten us in the bum. Well, that's the biggest case I have heard of the tail wagging the dog. To be "held to ransom" by a guys potential and not his output or effort is a cop out. I think the Newton decision is the only clear mistake Dean and the boys have made. There are other decisions that could be argued both ways (1 more year for Robbo), but 2 years for a guy who doesn't work hard enough, doesn't get to the front of contests and has "potential" was a bad call.

Correct.

Along with that theory though, seeing he has had a number of years on the list to show what he can do and possibly break away from the notion of 'you were pick 43 so we dont expect much from you' and he clearly has not, isnt it time to be a bit skeptical on why we offered him a two year contract last year and it is understandable that people are laying into him?

I think we should get rid of him but gee hes under some pressure. I look at it this way. Hes more important to the team then alot of others on our list because there is no one sticking up there hand to play FF i hope next year IF they dont get rid of him say okay you have the first 5 rounds no matter what go out there and show us what you can do.. Remember hes only 22. People are saying we aren't going to see anything out of Jack Watts unitl hes 21 and he was a number 1 draft pick. Hes first year was statistically better then Jack Watts' first year.

Other players to go before him.

Daniel Bell - Where is he going to play? Back? Push Bennell/Cheney out? Bell is 24 and a depth player? no thanks

Lynden Dunn - I know he played good football late last year but again where does he play. Also 24

One of our Ruckman - I would get rid of Johnson has well and truely had his chances and again i dont see the point in have 24 - 25year old players on the list for depth. Would rather kids.. 23 - 26 you should be peaking in your football ability not being stagnate.

I think we should get rid of him but gee hes under some pressure. I look at it this way. Hes more important to the team then alot of others on our list because there is no one sticking up there hand to play FF i hope next year IF they dont get rid of him say okay you have the first 5 rounds no matter what go out there and show us what you can do.. Remember hes only 22. People are saying we aren't going to see anything out of Jack Watts unitl hes 21 and he was a number 1 draft pick. Hes first year was statistically better then Jack Watts' first year.

Other players to go before him.

Daniel Bell - Where is he going to play? Back? Push Bennell/Cheney out? Bell is 24 and a depth player? no thanks

Lynden Dunn - I know he played good football late last year but again where does he play. Also 24

One of our Ruckman - I would get rid of Johnson has well and truely had his chances and again i dont see the point in have 24 - 25year old players on the list for depth. Would rather kids.. 23 - 26 you should be peaking in your football ability not being stagnate.

Good post mate.

Bell- Agree but i think is one of Baileys loved ones.

Dunn- You are probably right, looked like to finally get it but i dont know if he has a spot on the side any more, if he is not going to be a KPP forward that is.

Ruckman- Agreed. Really have faith Meesen will one day become our number 1 ruckman. Just has to get his body right!

You have this one totally wrong. Just because we had no apparent options, does not mean he should have been re-signed, certainly not for 2 years. We have seen how quickly forward fortunes can turn around - now Newton can't get a game (because he is hopeless) and Robbo is gawn, yet we feel like there is some light at the end of the tunnel.

This should equally apply to why newton was resigned.

The lack of forward options is indeed an influence as to why he was resigned.

If we had Buddy and Roughie you would not have bothered. We dont. We didn't at the time.

And I am not sure we have turned around things in the forward line. Its not quick. Its been 2years in the making and it may take a further 2 to 3 to do so.

FWIW, I am no Newton fan and I dont agree why he was resigned. I do understand why the Club would have kept its options open at a time when our forwards options were so barren. Its was not a great decision but its for a fringe player who would not be paid much. Its small beer in the scheme of things

Why didn't he think that when Neitz broke down in 2007 and again in 2008 and Robbo did his ankle in 2008 that "this FF spot is mine for the taking no more second fiddle"?

He has had the opportunity and chances to claim it for himself. He hasn't. Jurrah on other hands has made the most of his opportunities and is where Newton supporters expected Juice to be.

A player that does not get it and probably never will.

I'ts probably a maturity thing with him.IMO he has the ability ,but does he have the desire?

when Juice was re-signed... Jurrah and Watts werent a reality...they are now.. Newton is totally surplus to requirements.

We have seen his upside and we are disappointed....next !!!!!!!

when Juice was re-signed... Jurrah and Watts werent a reality...they are now.. Newton is totally surplus to requirements

If he's surplus to requirements it's because he hasn't yet made the grade, not because of his type.

IMO we're [still] crying out for a tall forward.

Within the space of a couple of years we've lost Neitz and Robbo. Holland was given the boot and Miller's no certainty to be around next year (two big names).

If he's surplus to requirements it's because he hasn't yet made the grade, not because of his type.

IMO we're [still] crying out for a tall forward.

Within the space of a couple of years we've lost Neitz and Robbo. Holland was given the boot and Miller's no certainty to be around next year (two big names).

I would agree.

He has had a great opportunity with the passing of the old guard. He just has not taken it and I doubt he will.