Pick or Schmick - Is it a Priority?

H_T

Essendon have big problems coming up; Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher and the like will be leaving just as GC and WS come in.
When you have the likes of Hurley, Pears, Hocking, Neagle, Gumbleton, Ryder, and co in tow you cannot write them off over 10 years. Silly.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When you have the likes of Hurley, Pears, Hocking, Neagle, Gumbleton, Ryder, and co in tow you cannot write them off over 10 years. Silly.

Not so silly.

The reason there are whispers of a rift out at Windy Hill is because MK can see the holes that Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher, and, to a lesser extent, McVeigh will leave in a few years.

By May next year Fletcher will be 35, Lloyd and Lucas 32, and McVeigh 29.

They have a heavy reliance on all except for Lucas, and the fact that he is back in that forward line means a delay in the progress of a player that will eventually replace him. Times that problem by 3 and you have a significant issue, for 2012 when only McVeigh will still be around - and he will be 31.

Promising players they do have but I would like to see how Hurley, Hocking, and Pears operate in a backline without Fletcher mopping up for them - they tried earlier in the year when he was out for 5 weeks and did an OK job but I wonder how the team would go without Lloyd and Fletcher - two decade long bookends.

Goes to show from the opening post that 9 teams have received priority picks out of the 16 teams in the comp. The likes of Cats, Crows, Power, Bombers, Kangaroos, Swans and Lions can hold their heads high. Always competitive and tanking is not an option for them!

Just because you get PP doesn't mean your team tanked. It is possible to get PP because you really are that far behind the competition and need them.

Swans and Lions have had higher salary caps which no doubt helps them as well.

Not so silly.

The reason there are whispers of a rift out at Windy Hill is because MK can see the holes that Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher, and, to a lesser extent, McVeigh will leave in a few years.

By May next year Fletcher will be 35, Lloyd and Lucas 32, and McVeigh 29.

They have a heavy reliance on all except for Lucas, and the fact that he is back in that forward line means a delay in the progress of a player that will eventually replace him. Times that problem by 3 and you have a significant issue, for 2012 when only McVeigh will still be around - and he will be 31.

Promising players they do have but I would like to see how Hurley, Hocking, and Pears operate in a backline without Fletcher mopping up for them - they tried earlier in the year when he was out for 5 weeks and did an OK job but I wonder how the team would go without Lloyd and Fletcher - two decade long bookends.

They'll be fine without them. Fletcher is the one who's form doesn't seem to fluctuate and Hurley and Pears look as though they've already played 50 games each. Hurley actually looks as though he's played over 100. Lucas will not be missed, he's finished. McVeigh can be covered. They need to find a replacement for Lloyd - who will be hard to replace, one of the greats for their club.

It is silly to write the Bombers off for 10 years. You may think otherwise.

Essendon have big problems coming up; Lloyd, Lucas, Fletcher and the like will be leaving just as GC and WS come in.

I don't think they have Big problems, but as I suggested to the surrounding Essendon barrackers around me @ Jurrahs first game, they're not as far ahead of us as they may think. I said about 1.5 seasons ahead, = 33 games per head of our young guns???

When they lose those senior players, they will come back to us a little, natural atrition & relative experience.

Like Carlton, I've predicted their rise amongst my friends, & Hawthorn as well, except for their early effort last year. But Carltons elite list players have got them to where they are now, (around a No 5/7 team) but they've plateud with a lack of depth quality, see St-kilda a few years back.

This is why it's best IMO to not rise the ladder too soon untill you have the bulk of the list talent to take you to top 4 with 3 years maturing.

If we get those 2 early picks this year plus another say 6 to 8 pick next year, I'd feel confidant that we'd be well on our way, as Hawthorn did.

We are well placed with the GC-17 & WS-18 actually helping us by holding back other teams from quickly renovating their lists that could shoot us down.

Making the most this year with the picks is crutial to our progress.

Go DEES.

Edited by dee-luded

One of the crucial aspects in their search for a premiership will be whether their top 6 becomes top 4 material once Fletcher and Lloyd depart.

You need stars to win a flag. They may or may not develop top end elite players.

I don't think they have Big problems, but as I suggested to the surrounding Essendon barrackers around me @ Jurrahs first game, they're not as far ahead of us as they may think. I said about 1.5 seasons ahead, = 33 games per head of our young guns???

When they lose those senior players, they will come back to us a little, natural atrition & relative experience.

Like Carlton, I've predicted their rise amongst my friends, & Hawthorn as well, except for their early effort last year. But Carltons elite list players have got them to where they are now, (around a No 5/7 team) but they've plateud with a lack of depth quality, see St-kilda a few years back.

This is why it's best IMO to not rise the ladder too soon untill you have the bulk of the list talent to take you to top 4 with 3 years maturing.

If we get those 2 early picks this year plus another say 6 to 8 pick next year, I'd feel confidant that we'd be well on our way, as Hawthorn did.

We are well placed with the GC-17 & WS-18 actually helping us by holding back other teams from quickly renovating their lists that could shoot us down.

Making the most this year with the picks is crutial to our progress.

Go DEES.

Spot on Post Mate. Agree with all that....only 5 games to go...Wet Coke to Beat Essedon this weekend PLEASE o lord above PLEASE!

One of the crucial aspects in their search for a premiership will be whether their top 6 becomes top 4 material once Fletcher and Lloyd depart.

You need stars to win a flag. They may or may not develop top end elite players.

Definitely. Whatever their top 6 is - and I know you devoted a thread to it (which was good information) - I think Hurley (once developed a little further) will replace Fletcher and will be a part of that top 6. They may find it hard to replace a 900+ goalkicker in Lloyd.

As much as I hate the Bombers, their club commands respect. You're right that they may or may not develop top end elite players, however it's not beyond them at Essendon.