• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

MFC Wiki

Dannyz

Fantastic idea this. Made by Supermerc and the boys over at Bigfooty.

Well worth a browse but still a work in progress at the moment.

http://wiki.fcmelbourne.com.au/tiki-custom_home.php

worth bumping !!!

Please don't just browse. Don't be shy and sign up to make a contribution.

As stated above, the wiki is still in it's early stages but the strength of the wiki is the strength of the community that contributes. We are really keen to get as many people from demonland and demonology involved, no matter how small your contribution.

Don't be too concerned about formatting. Just read the forum thread on posting and try and follow best you can. We are more concerned with getting the information, the mods are more than happy to clean up the formatting.

Also, if anyone has some artistic flair we really would appreciate some help with tarting the site up a bit.

Edited by Brock Machine

thought it warranted another bump... possibly mods could consider a sticky for a few weeks ??

• 2 months later...

Hi punters, just wanted to bump this with an update on Demon Wiki - but as an additional bonus I'll put up the most bizarre article I've found while researching.

First things first - it's the 1987 prelim, a plane load of Melbourne fans heading for Bangkok, Steve Vizard and Lobbie Flower

demonsaloft.jpg

Anyway, enough casual racism from the mid 80's - back to business.

Since the last post in this thread we've got our act together and finished adding pages on every player and every match. They're not all hugely in-depth but the framework is there if you want to add something or write up a profile on somebody. Help on current players would be much appreciated as I'm too busy trawling the 70's and 80's to concentrate on what's going on in 2009.

As of right now there are 4137 pages on there from grand finals and premiership captains to supplementary list players, failed draftees and the Grand Final sprint. If anyone has any pictures or old school team lists that they can help with that would be much appreciated.

URL for anyone who hasn't seen it is wiki.fcmelbourne.com

P.S - While we're at it, if you're on twitter follow @demonblog for updates and general shenanigans.

We've now included the link to Melbourne Wiki on our links and provided the link to Every Day is LIke Sunday (Demonblog) immediately under Demonology.

Cheers

Lovely stuff!

And while we're at it, here's another article I turned up from December 1987

ablett.jpg

Would have been a handy player with handy off-spring you'd think.

Hey punters,

I've been spending so much time reading articles from the past that I've had barely any time to write about recent players.

If anyone has the time to take one or two players and do a respectable run down of their career that would be much appreciated. http://wiki.fcmelbourne.com.au/tiki-index....09+Playing+List

no article on the merger if anyone wants to make one

There's one on all the merger talks from the 80's onwards including the 1996 fiasco

http://wiki.fcmelbourne.com.au/tiki-index.php?page=Mergers

Of course now just as I've posted this the whole database has gone t!ts up. Hoorah for technology.

There's one on all the merger talks from the 80's onwards including the 1996 fiasco

http://wiki.fcmelbourne.com.au/tiki-index.php?page=Mergers

Of course now just as I've posted this the whole database has gone t!ts up. Hoorah for technology.

Ok, appropriately enough for a Sunday its risen from the dead. May ye go forth and edit.

Hi everyone,

Like a spaz I gave all my old Footy Records away in the late 90's (WHY GOD WHY!), so I was wondering if anybody had some handy to help out with the numbers of a few drafted players who didn't play seniors during that decade.

Brackets are year they were drafted, so naturally any mention of them in the record would from the following years.

National Draft players

Micah Berry (1991), Matthew Blake (1997), Niall Buckley (1990), John Carroll (1994), Jamie Cann (1997), Paul Corrigan (1996), Mark Ducker (1987), Jason Dullard (1991), Brett Evans (1993 and 1994), Clayton Gardiner (1996), Ashley Gehling (1995), George Gorozidis (1991), Tom Grehan (1988), Michael Hobbes (1988), Paul Hogarth (1990), Brett Jeffrey (1992), Haydon Kilmartin (1991), Mathew McKay (1991), Tim McNeil (1987), Gary Merritt (1990), Tim Moreland (1989), David Morrison (1989 mid-season), Damon Munt (1994), Shannon O'Brien (1999), Duncan O'Toole (1996), Robert Panozza (1990), Cameron Ramsay (1998), Paul Ridley (1993 trade), Paul Rovray (1989), Nick Sebo (1991), Matthew Sexton (1990), Luke Speers (1998), Luke Taylor (1999 - and where was he from?), Anthony Tohill (1989), Paul Van Der Meer (1989 mid-season), Craig Walker (1986), Nick White (1991), Glenn Wilkins (1989), Scott Williamson (1990)

Supplementary List draft (all 1994)

Dean Brown, Andrew Eslick, Leigh Gray, Glen Hoffman, Adam Jones, Ben Judd, Travis Millar, Cristian O'Brien, Ashley Reade

Also did Darren Jarman ever get assigned a number even though he refused to come over? Even the mysterious Ivan Bartul got to theoretically be #13...

And of course any obscure information about any of the above would be appreciated given that they barely rate a mention anywhere except for having been drafted.

P.S - Yes, I am ashamed to care about such trivia :unsure:

Edited by Supermercado

Luke Taylor was drafted in 1998 at pick 72 from Port Adelaide, but I have no idea what number he was given.

Seems he got delisted and rookie listed the next year for the same amount of success. I can't remember him existing.

Edited by Supermercado

• 2 months later...

Just for an update on this I want to cross-post something here and on BF

Quoth myself,

URL: http://wiki.fcmelbourne.com.au

Pages as of 22/12: 4,316

We have pretty much come to the end of what the internet can provide us. The club have provided a couple of lists and a few leads, but we're starting to get to the point where hard copy memorabilia is the best way to find new information.

If you have anything you could share, or arrange to be scanned, please let me know.

There are heaps of recent players who have rudimentary profiles. If you want to help, but can't find the time to research new stuff it would be great if you could help with these. A lot of recent games don't have a great deal of information, purely because I've been more focused on adding old stuff than concentrating on the present.

I'm also looking for names/numbers/information on players who played in the reserves/U19's but not seniors.

For updates Twitter-up and follow @demonwiki (not run by me) and/or @demonblog. If you want to discuss via email, send to the sexy new address of [email protected]

Cheers,

SM

• 3 weeks later...

Just to keep my b/s historical questions in the same thread does anyone know what the deal was with this guy?

http://news.google.com.au/newspapers?id=2v...-club&hl=en

8 goals in an intra-club and touted as the next big thing but never played seniors. Just another case of intra-club form meaning nothing, or something more sinister?

As an added incentive, I offer you the most dubious advertisement ever. October 1985,

bigbob.jpg

A spit roast from Big Bob, SS cutlery and waitresses in jumpsuits. What else could you want?

Edited by Supermercado

The Age article brought back lots of memories and I have a vague recollection about Graham Douthie and his very brief time in the limelight.

Back in those days when the sport was semi-professional and most players held real jobs, the pre-season was very different to how it is nowadays. The players used to get together around mid-February and training at the MCG often had to be carried out with the centre wicket roped off. The first practice match was often played on a substandard ground because the standard venues were off limits due to cricket. It wasn't uncommon for unknowns to star in the early practice matches especially if they were young, fit and eager. Often the regulars would come back after 5 months off in an unfit state having put on the kilograms and they were not all that keen on doing the hard work early or on playing in practice matches which were nearly always intraclub games of the probables v possibles variety.

The game which was the subject of the Age report by Ron Carter was played on a small ground at Albert Park. Conditions were made for high scoring and you can see from the fact that two other players Ken Emselle (a rover) and Ross Dillon kicked ten between them that it was not a game for defences.

Please don't take this as gospel (it was more than 40 years ago after all) but the picture I have in my mind of Douthie is that he wasn't particularly tall for a key position aspirant (bear in mind that in those days you could play a KP and be barely 6' tall). I don't think we saw much more of him after the first few practice matches. The club had some decent KPP's then in Dillon, Greg Parke and Ray Carr who kicked 7 goals in a game that season (out of a total of 8). Notwithstanding this we performed dismally in 1969 easily taking out the wooden spoon.  

It might pay you to check for Douthie in later editions of the Age from that year's practice matches. He definitely returned to Highett and, according to records I have which were collated by Sandringham identity, the late John Carroll, Douthie bobbed up at the Zebras and kicked 18 goals in 7 games for them in 1971.

There are some other interesting stories on that page as well. The saddest one to read was of the promise shown at Collingwood by Bob Rose Junior, then 17 years of age. He was also a promising cricketer who represented his state in the Sheffield Shield as well as the Collingwood Football Club. He became a paraplegic as a result of a car accident and died a few years ago - perhaps not long before his father who was a Magpie great died. One of the saddest stories about our game.  

• 3 weeks later...

Anybody got the teams for the 87/89 Night Grand Finals? Also looking for

* A heap of photos of players from the 80's and early 90's so if anybody has a stash lying around I'd be keen on discussing further.

* Full Best and Fairest vote counts and placings from pre-2000

* Club award winners from previous years

* A lot of Best First Year Players from 1994 and before (What I've got can be found at http://wiki.fcmelbourne.com.au/tiki-index.php?page=best+first+year+player)

And heaps of other stuff.. Whatever you've got I'm in.

Edited by Supermercado

• 1 year later...

Just a couple of quick updates on this project -

* It can now be found at the far friendler URL of demonwiki.org, but the old one will work as well if you've got bookmarks/links etc..

* There's a page on there for every match, but now every game from 1965 to 1991 has some extra info about it gleaned from newspaper reports. I've got the U19/reserves scores from all of those years but am still looking for reserves scores, goalkickers, bests for the rest of the 90's (except 1997) and quite a few bests/goalkickers from U19's games that have the scores up there. So, if you've got any information that can help please PM or email [email protected]

* The list of "other players" who didn't play seniors has been posted on Demonland before, but it's been massively expanded now (especially for the 70's , 80's and 90's) so if you can add anything on any of these guys - or know somebody on the list who might want to tell their story please let me know. http://demonwiki.org/Other+Players

There are currently 5730 pages, and the top ten most viewed players in order are;

1 - Allen Jakovich

2 - Jim Stynes

3 - Garry Lyon

4 - Robert Flower

5 - Ron Barassi

6 - Carl Ditterich

7 - Andrew Lamprill (!?)

8 - Rod Grinter

9 - David Schwarz

10 - Troy Broadbridge

Thanks very much to everybody who has helped with information, especially Whispering Jack who lent me a stack of old annual reports which I must get around to returning.