Match Review Panel - Sylvia 3 Weeks

waynewussell

Absolutely.

I cant believe the naivety of those posters welcoming the suspension to get the PP.

A player has just put a real black mark to his name by act that was brainless and crude.

Nothing to celebrate there.

It was an emotional day and the footy was pretty tough and uncompimising for awhile there, I certainly don't applaud him for it but I'd hardly bust his balls either. Rather than brainless and crude I'd probably call it hotheaded and careless, but hey, they're just words, the action is done.

Edited by Roost It

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watched new show "One week at a time" on Channel 10's oneHD.

They had a excellent footage of the punch.

It was a massive hit and hes lucky he only got 3 weeks, he could have got 6 it was that big.

Why did he do it ? big brain fade and disappointing after his current form this year.

And what did he do?? Hit him, elbow him, shirt front, knee......

you could barely see it on camera, but col bumped him from front on. Very decent hit ;) but i dont see how it could be worth three week you could barely see it on camera you could just tell what he did by the direction they were both running.

It was an emotional day and the footy was pretty tough and uncompimising for awhile there, I certainly don't applaud him for it but I'd hardly bust his balls either. Rather than brainless and crude I'd probably call it hotheaded and careless, but hey, they're just words, the action is done.

I agree with that.

Sylvia was on edge all day long. He was bouncing around with so much emotion that he had no idea how to use.

In the end, his aggression was ill-directed, and he would be the last player that will want to get suspended right now given all the hard work that he has put into his turnaround.

It is a disappointing result, but one which I think will help him in the long term, just as suspension helped Miller channel his aggression in the right manner.

Additionally, it will show us whether he really had turned himself around. He has three weeks now of no footy. Will he go out and do silly things? Will he bounce straight back when he returns? This will really test his mental fortitude and if he has really changed, he'll cope well, learn from his mistake and move on.

Seems that the Selwoods were set to tag our two most dangerous players, Flash & Col, in whatever way but just to not get caught. Didn't see much of Scott on Col, but Adam was clearly holding Davey back from the play and stopping him from running at the ball. Sounds very much here that Col might have been impeded from getting involved in the play, and did the wrong thing and lashed out.

In the one really positive change to umpiring instructions early in the year, the 2nd & 3rd umpires watched very closely for taggers holding ballplayers back illegally. It should have been obvious to them in this game, but that instruction has clearly gone right out the window now. Typical umpires, can't sustain a positive change for more than one or two rounds. Maybe they know that if they paid every tagger infringement, the free kick stats would be much higher, so they've decided to turn a blind eye like they have every other season.

Unfortunately these two clearly didn't like this illegal treatment and can probably expect it now every time they play, without any protecion whatsoever from umpires or - sad to say - from teammates. The team is going to have to realise this and make things really hot for the taggers. Col has to realise that the Leigh Matthews method for dealing with taggers isn't as effective as it once was,

IMO tagging illegally is a blight on the game. But the club can't afford to think the same (perhaps it's no coincidence that we might be the only team that has no tagger of note), because umpires and the AFL seem to give taggers free rein these days. We have to deal with it as a team issue, or Flash and Col will continue to get into trouble if they're left to combat it themselves.

I like the way Judd deals with it - he starts his runs just off the packs and tries to run close to another Carlton player hoping that as soon as he passes they'll shift their bodies into the path of his tagger. Even if the tagger has to deviate slightly to get around them, it gies Judd that half metre that he needs to get the clearance.

The Selwood boys are the new Carr Brothers ( all except the Geelong arm of the brothery ) They niggle, niggle, niggle and don't let up. It has been published in the Western Australian papers earlier in the year before our West Coast game over there that that was Aaron Davey's weakness in the past & West Coast looked to exploit that....niggling intimidation behind the play. Aaron doesn't cope well with it and it worked again.

Remember the explosive Selwood and Des Headland situation a few years ago? I thought Headland was stupid for being sucked in. Now that I've had the luxury of viewing the Selwood boys at my leisure I have to apologize to Headland. The Selwood clan are nasty.

Yeah there was an incident off the play directly after Petterds free kick 1st goal in the first quarter Silvia involved with prob Selwood that gave WC a free kick before the bounce that directly resulted in WCs 2nd goal...it must have built up from there...

Have you seen Sylvia's? (I haven't)

Yeah I have now. He's actually pretty lucky he didn't get 4-6 weeks for it. I didn't think it was going to be that bad. Certainly surprised me. Time for Col to contemplate his return to form on his return.

Im pretty sure selwood will watch himself next time.

You do realise that it was Scott Selwood don't you?

The 19 year old one.

Very ordinary act from Col and very undisciplined. Why he would do that (30 yards off the play as well) when in career best form is beyond me.

By the way, the Brennan decision was a shocker (and watch the media go to town on it over the next few days), but Sylvia certainly wasn't hard done by.

You do realise that it was Scott Selwood don't you?

The 19 year old one.

Very ordinary act from Col and very undisciplined. Why he would do that (30 yards off the play as well) when in career best form is beyond me.

By the way, the Brennan decision was a shocker (and watch the media go to town on it over the next few days), but Sylvia certainly wasn't hard done by.

You have to be kiddng?

We did play West Coast. :lol:

Sylvia was on edge all day long. He was bouncing around with so much emotion that he had no idea how to use.

In the end, his aggression was ill-directed, and he would be the last player that will want to get suspended right now given all the hard work that he has put into his turnaround.

This I agree with. There's no doubting it was reckless and stupid, and the punishment is relatively lenient given the offence. Sylvia should treat this as a lesson in how not to channel your aggression, I think it's as simple as that.

There's a lot of chest beating in this thread that I don't really think is necessary.

Are you serious????????? Brennan gets 1 week with an early guilty plea for an out and out headbutt and Hi-Ho gets 3 weeks for something not really seen.

Brennan got 3 weeks, before adjustments. 3 weeks is ok as original penalty !!!

Brennan should have got more for not knocking Carr out, if going to headbutt someone, do it properly, if doing it to Carr, knock him out then stomp on him when on the ground. Let him off though if he gives the runner a clip too, even though it was a little funny seeing his reaction.

It is wrong to do it to anyone else though...

By hitting a player off the play???

Gutsy stuff that and it will really gain us respect.

How about first we win the contested ball and then the hate and the fear will come.

Sylvia sent a bigger message when he took that brave mark against Collingwood and in the contest contact put Maxwell physically out of commission. Thats making a statement that makes teams notice.

Not the sniping cheap stuff he got suspended for.

Absolutely spot-on assessment.

I find these cheap cowardly acts embarrassing. They only turn you into the hated and hunted.

Standing toe-to-toe and going when its your turn are what get you feared and respected on a footy field.

Edited by Enforcer25