14. Green, Brad

15. Grimes, Jack

16. Jamar, Mark

17. Jetta, Neville

18. Johnson, Paul

19. Jones, Nathan

20. Maric, Addam

21. Martin, Stefan

22. McDonald, James (veteran – outside list)

23. McLean, Brock

24. McNamara, Tom

25. Meesen, John

26. Miller, Brad

27. Moloney, Brent

28. Morton, Cale

29. Newton, Michael

30. Petterd, Ricky

31. Rivers, Jared

32. Robertson, Russell (veteran – outside list)

33. Strauss, James

34. Sylvia, Colin

35. Warnock, Matthew

36. Watts, Jack

37. Wheatley, Paul

38. Whelan, Matthew

39. Wonaeamirri, Austin

Rookie List

1. Spencer, Jake

2. Valenti, Shane

3. Zomer, Trent

ADDITIONS:

Father-Son selection: –

Exchange period – received: –

Rookie elevation: Austin Wonaeamirri

Scholarship elevation: –

NAB AFL Draft: Rohan Bail (Mt Gravatt), Jamie Bennell (Swan Districts), Sam Blease (Eastern Ranges), Neville Jetta (Swan Districts), James Strauss (Oakleigh Chargers), Jack Watts (Sandringham Dragons)

International rookie selection: –

Three-year non-registered player selection: –

NAB AFL Pre-Season Draft:

NAB AFL Rookie Draft:

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tab...px?newsId=70550

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do they have to fill them? Can MFC afford to do that? I would have thought one rookie ruck (Spencer) is enough. Any others wont see more than VFL seconds on a good day.

Very good point.

I'm pretty sure the spots DO NOT have to be filled. But I may be wrong.

It is not correct. All teams have 8 rookie spots this year.

Pretty sure it is only 8 rookie spots IF you have no veterans outside the list. Which would make sense as to why we have 6 rookie spots. It is just that other teams who also have 2 veterans outside the list have 7 rookie slots.

Pretty sure it is only 8 rookie spots IF you have no veterans outside the list. Which would make sense as to why we have 6 rookie spots. It is just that other teams who also have 2 veterans outside the list have 7 rookie slots.

You might be right there.

but u dont have to fill every spot i dont think and i doubt melbourne will, with the $$$ situation

No you don't have to fill every spot. But if there is someone we are interested in, we should rookie them. Our financial situation is not going to get better by cutting on football expenditure. The Football Dept should never have funding cut. This is a deep year for talent, considerably deeper than next year will be, so if there is talent, we should take it.

This is a deep year for talent, considerably deeper than next year will be, so if there is talent, we should take it.

The talent only extend to the national draft and only to the first two rounds so your comment does not seem relevent to rookies. You dont know how next year will pan out as players develop so your comparison is non sensical.

Despite all the hoopla, 2008 will only be known as a year of talent once we have seen what its graduates deliver over 3 to 5 years. I hope Watts is a star!!!

FWIW, I heard 5 years ago that the 2003 draft was good for talent....I am still waiting for it to show:rolleyes:

I would have thought one rookie ruck (Spencer) is enough. Any others wont see more than VFL seconds on a good day.

Jamar's Jamar, PJ's biggest fans seem to call him a great 'second ruck' - do NQR gals get 'great bridesmaid'? - and Meesen's probably behind Spencer if you listen to reports on Demonland.

I want to see us rookie more rucks, particularly if we don't pick one up in the PSD.

I believe Hawthorn have six ruck prospects on their list.

The talent only extend to the national draft and only to the first two rounds so your comment does not seem relevent to rookies. You dont know how next year will pan out as players develop so your comparison is non sensical.

Despite all the hoopla, 2008 will only be known as a year of talent once we have seen what its graduates deliver over 3 to 5 years. I hope Watts is a star!!!

FWIW, I heard 5 years ago that the 2003 draft was good for talent....I am still waiting for it to show:rolleyes:

Aactually rhinestone, the talent will only fall in this draft at every 3rd pick, but 3rd & 4th at the beginning of each round. so if you devide this by 2 & 5/6 you will end up with crap.

Oh & by the way this therom says that there's no talent at all amongst this years rookies, fact. :wacko:

Aactually rhinestone, the talent will only fall in this draft at every 3rd pick, but 3rd & 4th at the beginning of each round. so if you devide this by 2 & 5/6 you will end up with crap.

Oh & by the way this therom says that there's no talent at all amongst this years rookies, fact. :wacko:

that made no sense at all

You think there is only talent in the first two rounds?!? And you are calling me nonsensical? You should get in to stand up.

Oh and you heard 2003 was a good one? From where? Your neighbour's cat? This "hoopla" you refer to comes from professional recruiters, not the media.

You think there is only talent in the first two rounds?!? And you are calling me nonsensical? You should get in to stand up.

Oh and you heard 2003 was a good one? From where? Your neighbour's cat? This "hoopla" you refer to comes from professional recruiters, not the media.

I will keep it simple.

When they say the talents deep, its in reference to comparison with previous years rather than suggesting that the 2008 draft is a race of uber footballers. The first two rounds was in reference to statements from professional recruiters that it was possible to recruit a quality footballers that would normally be taken in a first round available into the 2nd round.

And any reference to the deep talent in the draft does not necessarily refer to the rookie draft.

Good luck with the chest beating.

• 2 weeks later...

Complete 2009 MELBOURNE List

1. Bail, Rohan

2. Bartram, Clint

3. Bate, Matthew

4. Bell, Daniel

5. Bennell, Jamie

6. Blease, Sam

7. Bruce, Cameron

8. Buckley, Simon

9. Cheney, Kyle

10. Davey, Aaron

11. Dunn, Lynden

12. Frawley, James

13. Garland, Colin

14. Green, Brad

15. Grimes, Jack

16. Jamar, Mark

17. Jetta, Neville

18. Johnson, Paul

19. Jones, Nathan

20. Jurrah, Liam

21. Maric, Addam

22. Martin, Stefan

23. McDonald, James*

24. McLean, Brock

25. McNamara, Tom

26. Meesen, John

27. Miller, Brad

28. Moloney, Brent

29. Morton, Cale

30. Newton, Michael

31. Petterd, Ricky

32. Rivers, Jared

33. Robertson, Russell*

34. Strauss, James

35. Sylvia, Colin

36. Warnock, Matthew

37. Watts, Jack

38. Wheatley, Paul

39. Whelan, Matthew

40. Wonaeamirri, Austin

* Denotes Veteran Listed Player

Rookie List

1. Healey, Rhys

2. Hughes, Danny

3. McKenzie, Jordie

4. Spencer, Jake

5. Valenti, Shane

6. Zomer, Trent

Guest hangon007

This may sound funny. But ... I really like our list. I think we have the foundations of something special.

There is probably 5-6 players playing for their AFL future in 2009 combined with some promising kids.

Kids are funny ... never under estimate them, they can easily surprise.

Go Dees

here is our list in order of age, oldest to youngest... gives us an idea of the future... i draw the line where I see the available players who will be around for our next flag tilt... of those above the line, Brad Green is probably one who could still be there, not sure about the others...

everyone else is in contention, which is exciting, because there are only going to be so many spots on the list, and only the fittest will last...

23. McDonald, James* 32

33. Robertson, Russell* 30

7. Bruce, Cameron 29

39. Whelan, Matthew 29

14. Green, Brad 27

38. Wheatley, Paul 27

--------------------------------------------

10. Davey, Aaron 25

16. Jamar, Mark 25

27. Miller, Brad 25

18. Johnson, Paul 24

28. Moloney, Brent 24

32. Rivers, Jared 24

36. Warnock, Matthew 24

4. Bell, Daniel 23

35. Sylvia, Colin 23

22. Martin, Stefan 22

24. McLean, Brock 22

26. Meesen, John 22

3. Bate, Matthew 21

8. Buckley, Simon 21

11. Dunn, Lynden 21

30. Newton, Michael 21

1. Bail, Rohan 20

2. Bartram, Clint 20

12. Frawley, James 20

13. Garland, Colin 20

19. Jones, Nathan 20

20. Jurrah, Liam 20

31. Petterd, Ricky 20

40. Wonaeamirri, Austin 20

9. Cheney, Kyle 19

15. Grimes, Jack 19

5. Bennell, Jamie 18

17. Jetta, Neville 18

21. Maric, Addam 18

25. McNamara, Tom 18

29. Morton, Cale 18

34. Strauss, James 18

6. Blease, Sam 17

37. Watts, Jack 17

Guest hangon007
You may have 2 or 3 retirements out of Junior, Robbo and Whelan at 2009 years end.

At this point Bell, Moloney and Jamar are in the gun for mine. Hope that spurs them onto to bigger and better things!

I would have Meesen in my gun sights!