Forum Game

Whispering_Jack

The game has been moved from Goschs Paddock to the adjoining rugby ground in Swan Street due to their being two gaping big holes on one half forward line. We've put markers down for the behind posts and the ground is a bit small but otherwise the game has started in good spirit.

Qtr time scores level 2.5.17 each.

Qtr time scores level 2.5.17 each.

Still level at half time but our kicking for goal has been shocking.

Dees 4.18.42 to Blues 6.6.42.

Wise Monkey starring for us and Scotty is doing a great job converting the goals.

Rumour has it that the two holes in Goschs Paddock is where Collingw&%$ is burying the two blokes who informed on Didak and the Shaws but we can't confirm this.

5 point lead at the final change. 7.21.63 to 8.10.58

The Demons took out the Warncok Brothers Tankard with a narrow 2 point victory over Talking Carlton - 9.24.78 to 10.16.76. A goal to James with 90 seconds to go secured our second win (out of 2) for the year. Congratulations to Rollo (Team Manager), Redleg (Coach) and me (Assistant Coach and Timekeeper) as well as our enthusiastic crew of 21 players who bled for the club today and emerged singing "It's A Grand Old Flag" at the end of the game. Actually, nobody bled but Rivvo came off with a knee in the third quarter (get well soon mate).

Joint winners of the Vinnie Catoggio Medal for BOG's were Wise Monkey and Grant.

Goalkickers were James and Scotty (3 each) and Benno, McLean4Brownlow and Rusty Kingswood.

Well done to the Carlton boys and thanks to all those who helped out or just came to watch.

Demons 2.5.17 4.18.42 7.21.53 9.24.78

Blues 2.5.17 6.6.42 8.10.58 10.16.76

we scraped home, after losing the lead...

final scores dees 9.24.78 def blues 10.16.76... :rolleyes:

vin catoggio award for best dees player shared between wise monkey and grant... :wub:

goals -

scotty 3

james (rustykingswood's mate) 3

mitch

benno

rustykingswood

points - lost count - wise's probably added up to a goal... :lol:

great effort to come from losing the lead in the last quarter... :lol:

injuries - rivvo from demonology did his knee, but it does not look like serious damage (will keep people posted)... :mellow:

lots of highlights...

match report will follow...

after a few beers...

(no, after many beers !!) ;)

Anytime we beat the Blues its a good day.

Well done to Rollo for organizing, WJ and all of the boys and our female player Jo, who joined us in the last quarter.

Really enjoyed the singing of the club song, I hope the Dees get to do it a bit more next year.

Great game, good fun! Thanks organisers!

Boys played with some passion especially in Q4 something TalkingCarltank cant buy :lol:

Well played team. Grant you're a superstar!

Photo's and video are now up on facebook. Look for 'Demonology @ Demonland'

Thanks for today fella's, had a great time! Great game, especially in the that last quarter. We played with some real spirit and got a well deserved win.

I thought James (big fella at FF in the last qtr?) had a huge influence- those clutch goals basically won us the match.

How's everyone feeling? I'm actually not feeling too bad, which is a big surprise. Went straight down to St Kilda beach for a quick dip right after the match.

Tomorrow morning might be a different story, but the joy of beating a Carlton side is more than worth it ;)

Great day and and an even better win.

Congratulations to all who pulled on the red and blue as it was a well earned, gutsy, come from behind win.

Lucky i didn`t allow the goal the umpire tried to give them, ( at least i came in handy )

But seriously a great effort from everyone and i hope the knee is ok Rivo.

Thanks to Rollo, Redleg & WJack for organizing and i even thought the umpire did a good job.

See you at the Saints game

Well done guys, great effort. Was there much wind out there today?

2 wins for the year is an exceptional effort, particularly when the Seniors only managed 3! Has mad Monday started yet or are you all going to wait another 4 hours for it?

Congrats on a great win you guys.....

It sounds like a great game, a fun day and very importantly a really good win!!!

Well done we are all very proud :P !!!

match report

forum game v. talking carlton - Sunday, November 2

This game was equal to, or better than, our first stoush with sainsational.

The game was so good, and played in such great spirit, that I have to admit I would not have cared all that much if we had lost, and the blues would have been worthy winners.

Gosch's paddock was not available, owing to some serious construction work in the middle of the field. We moved to a combined rugby/soccer oval (or square) next door, played without wings, and used the rugby goals, with some bags to give some guidance to the goal umpys. Paul (do it for robbie) did a great job for us, even standing up to the field umpire over a disputed goal call.

When we moved over, there were some soccer guys doing a bit of kick-to-kick, but they soon scarpered when they saw our numbers. Our initial 19-20 grew to 23-24 during the match, and the blues matched our numbers.

Wise Monkey strolled up casually at the start and informed us that blessed_hands would "not be running with us today". Wise then proceeded to fill in for billy, who came to watch, and did not stop running all day. With Oxxx's absence on Sunday, I think I may be the only person who has seen all of Wise's games for us. There are other candidates, but this was arguably his very best, and he undoubtedly deserved his share of the vin catoggio award for best dees player.

(to be continued)...

First quarter

It became obvious in the first 5 minutes that this was going to be a serious contest, with good quality players on both sides, and the blues matching our passion and commitment.

At the same time, it was a forum footy game, so there were many occasions on which players on both sides held back when they could have legitimately presented their bodies and caused injury. It was another indication of a game played in great spirit. The injury to rivvo (from demonology) was entirely fortuitous, and we are hoping for news that the knee injury is not serious.

The mid-fields were evenly matched. During the day, ours included Wise, Imtoohot and scotty (Mclean4brownlow's older brother), with rusty_kingswood and Doggo alternating in the ruck. Many other players did mid-field duties but - and this applies to the entire match report - I never tire of saying that it is hard to keep track when the coaches keep rotating the players and every other player is wearing number 5!

Mclean4brownlow slotted our fist goal, and scotty our second for the quarter.

In this first quarter, microcks1 provided tremendous run out of the backline, and his winning of the contested ball was fantastic all day. Mick is severe on himself for his lack of ability deal with the pill once he gets it, but yesterday I did not agree with him. He and the rest of the backline saved us from severe embarassment in this quarter.

Back to the mid-field contest. The skills and bravery displayed by both sides in heavy traffic made for an entertaining game. Many times, the dees supporters' group (we could not help ourselves) erupted into cheers and applause for the efforts of the opposition, as well as for our own guys (and girl). The spectators were privileged to witness yesterday's game. It cost us nothing but a bit of sunburn, and the footy skills on display were at times breathtaking.

At quarter time, it was even stevens, dees 2.5. 17, blues 2.5. 17.

(to be continued)...

Second quarter

People talked about a wind advantage, but I couldn't see it or feel it.

In this quarter, we were supposedly kicking against the wind, but there were really no excuses for what happened. Hards had admonished us not to overuse the ball, but nobody listened to him or the coaches.

We dominated possession for most of the quarter, and had the blues very much on the back foot, but we couln't score any "overs". It was bloody frustrating for the spectators, and must have been even more frustrating for the players.

The blues occasionally went forward, and scored goals. The game was played in this quarter mostly in our crowded forward line, but we could only score behinds. The blues were canny and kicked long and straight. We peppered the goals and over-used the footy.

Scotty dodged and weaved, and kicked truly again. Thank god! And rusty_kingswood bullied another.

We got great service out of pringle, demon tingles and, basically, the whole team were out-playing the opposition all over the park.

The blues were canny and scored 4.1 for the quarter. We were shocking in front of goal and scored 2.13!

So, at half-time, it was dees, 4.18. 42 to blues 6.6. 42.

Third quarter

Surprisingly, the third quarter became an arm-wrestle. Our dominance in general play disappeared and the blues stepped up a notch or three.We couldn't shake the bastards, and neither team could get a clear break.

The blues really came back at us in this quarter, and we had to grudgingly begin to respect their passion and their commitment. Both sides were playing passionate "take no prisoners" footy, there were some fantastic marks and some superb marking contests.

Melbourne had promised us storms and rain. All the players had was clear skies and relentless heat. It told on everybody, particularly on your courageous reporter, who had to walk (briskly mind) across the ground each quarter to compare scores with the blues' scorekeeper.

Well, we won the quarter, but it was a near thing, and we went into the final break with a slender 5 point lead.

When rivvo went down with his knee, benno realised the umpy had not stopped play, and soccered a valuable goal.

Scotty ducked and weaved (and then surprised a blues player by running straight through him) to score again. And it was in this quarter that rusty's mate, james, was sent forward to provide a target in rivvo's absence. He slotted his first and our third for the quarter.

I may have got the wrong quarter, but Doggo provided a real highlight with a great speccie. He judged the mark so well, and hung in the air for so long. It was a genuine screamer.

In this quarter, too, we started to really notice grant in the last line of defence. Time and time again, he took crisp, clean marks and held the blues out. This was not modern footy. It was 60's or 70's footy. Grant backed himself and won marking contest after marking contest. He played so well that he shared the vinnie award with Wise.

Mick, a mate of Wise, came on in this quarter to give us more drive, and pringle's brother (sorry, lost the name) also came on to give us fresh run out of the backline. In this quarter, too, we noticed the fearless footy of cameronthebruce, a humble bloke but one who shirks no contest and is something of a ball magnet.

We kicked 3.3 for the quarter against the blues' 2.4. Still anybody's game.

3 quarter time, it was dees 7.21 63 to blues 8.10. 58.

Final quarter.

In the last quarter, james really stood up, and kicked 2 very (very) good goals for us.

But the highlight of the quarter (and the game) came from a skinny young kid in the blues' forward line. He soccered an amazing yze-like goal to give the blues the lead with 5 minutes to play.

Relentless, tough footy followed until james took a mark on a (very) difficult angle about 30 metres out, ignored all leads, and calmly sent the ball straight through to give us the lead with seconds to play. The dees supporters loudly chanted a countdown of the remaining seconds that the umpy coudn't miss.

Fina score - dees 9.24 78 to blues 10.16.76

ESCAPE!

We have regular players to come back, and we were admirably served by our fist-gamers yesterday. But the blues were missing regulars too. This game obviously could have gone either way. I think that (as with saintsational) we have to acknowledge that the next game could easily be won by the blues.

I agree with pringle. The people who played their hearts out for the blues yesterday seem like decent blokes. And (somehow), they are as committed and passionate about their jumper as we are about ours.

Congratulations to our guys (and girl) for battling so hard in the heat to bring us a first victory over the blues. I really hope there will be more games with them in the future.

And a word about the umpy. Luke was fantastic, stamped his authority early, made good and clear decisions, and I hope he will agree to umpire for us again.

And a word about the coaches. Redleg and WJ were superb again yesterday, and really give us an edge.

And a word about the the helpers and water-bringers. Legend and dee knees (from demonology) and do it for robbie - we couln't do without you.

Argue with me if you like, and add in any players you think I've missed, but I thought our best included wise, grant, scotty, james, rusty, imtoohot, pringle, demon tingles, doggo, cameronthebruce, 45hotgod, mclean4brownlow and benno, but thanks to all for a great day and special thanks to melbournefc for all the time and effort spent on organising.