Your money on TJ for the Brownlow.

the fork

even if TJ's presence alone gave us a few more wins that would just mean we have pick 3 or 4 instead of 1 in the draft. Absolutely no downside to the trade at all.

And maybe a few more folks will turn up without the promise of a school boy flogging = more $'s, more interest, more memberships.

And maybe a few more folks will turn up without the promise of a school boy flogging = more $'s, more interest, more memberships.

Possible, but considering we just posted a record membership, I think we're okay in that regard.

What does it matter if TJ's played good footy this year? How would that have helped us? Best case scenario, it may have allowed us to put in some better performances, although whether that would have meant (m)any more wins is debatable.

However, in the scheme of things, wins in the next couple of years are virtually meaningless when it comes to winning a flag, as we're a long way off contending, and TJ will be over the hill by that time.

Not sure I follow your logic. Putting in better performances is what we all want. No doubt if TJ was in the team this year that would have occurred. Wins are virtually meaningless are they? Yes we all want a flag but first and foremost we need to survive. And to do this we need to attract sponsors and getting a belting every week does little to attract a company wanting to sell their brand on our jumper.

Whilst we build a team that can take us to a premiership and we bottom out like we have this year we still need to keep our eye on this. We must be competitive and give our supporters hope. I was hoping Bailey would take TJ on as a challenge and give him one year to get his act together. I thought for all TJ's talent it was worth the risk. It seemed a good fit with Junior, Brock and Jones the hard in and under players and TJ the class finisher. We have missed that this year - as a club our foot skills are terrible.

I see the reasons why we traded TJ but I have a fundamental problem about trading our most talented player. As I said previously I hope I am wrong and Grimes turns out to be an absolute gun.

I see the reasons why we traded TJ but I have a fundamental problem about trading our most talented player.

Talent when not delivered is a waste. Its now 11 seasons of AFL and TJ has not delivered at two clubs. His performance as a trade of a No 1 pick has been lacklustre. His performance and attitude epitomise all the problems that Brisbane have now.

Consider how TJ would have handled this year in an embattled MFC midfield. He would have got the No 1 tag and hated it and would not have had an impact on any game. In a better midfield up north he still has not delivered.

In addition MFC have eliminated an immature culture sore from a side that needs a serious culture makeover.

I dont know why supporters are so keen to hold onto "talent" which is undoubtedly NQR.

I reckon its a marginal win for MFC even before Grimes gets on the field.

In addition MFC have eliminated an immature culture sore from a side that needs a serious culture makeover.

Spot on Rhino.

Again it's not TJ personally that is most constructive or interesting to discuss here. Rather his trade and the subsequent shift in "culture".

Sure, upon Bailey's appointment we all knew things would change. But it was this trade that revealed the path we have now taken.

TJ's under-performance for the playing group was quite possibly the elephant in the room. I think this is worth considering...

If your listening to the genuine voice coming out of the club today, it's all about a group of people who will do anything for the red and the blue.

What a difference 10 months can make...

how does everyone know how he was inside the group? From a young rookie i spoke to he said he was very good at training, knew the set ups very well and was more helpful than others. And once they'd finished he was a bit of a practical joker and had a bit of fun. Everyone is different we cant expect all players to be part time law students away fromt the game.

I know its a totally pointless arguments anyway just thought id chip in.

Also im very happy with the trade, even more after watching Grimes on the weekend.

I just wish trav all the best.

how does everyone know how he was inside the group? From a young rookie i spoke to he said he was very good at training, knew the set ups very well and was more helpful than others. And once they'd finished he was a bit of a practical joker and had a bit of fun. Everyone is different we cant expect all players to be part time law students away fromt the game.

I know its a totally pointless arguments anyway just thought id chip in.

Also im very happy with the trade, even more after watching Grimes on the weekend.

I just wish trav all the best.

The Club has said TJ was traded for a number of reasons one of which was to address culture at the Club.

Connolly told a supporters group that I was at that when they told the playing group that TJ was being traded there was no one objection to his going. Very odd that a senior 10 year player receives that sort of regard or lack thereof from a playing group.

FWIW, I would hardly think a young star struck rookie is any benchmark for how a players is seen within the playing group. They will look up to all of the players.

Good pick up Rhino.

I also wouldn't want young rookies emulating the way Trav played his footy. Skills are not something to emulate, dedication, apllication, desperation and pride are things that each rookie should learn from the elder statesmen.

Pello, I highly doubt Trav would have been someone that would have attracted a key sponsor to the club. Personally, if i were to sponsor a team i'd rather back one that looked like there was long term gain to be had, (i.e. backing Hawthorn in '05-'06). Not to mention the fact that I can' see Trav having helped stem any of our beltings this year.

He may have added a little class in games like the Essendon or Hawthorn game, but to what end would that have taken us? He'd be 30 and we'd have a worse pick in the draft

On what I saw of Jack Grimes at Frankston Oval today I doubt that any MFC supporter will have any concerns in years to come about the decision to trade TJ.

:D

even if TJ's presence alone gave us a few more wins that would just mean we have pick 3 or 4 instead of 1 in the draft. Absolutely no downside to the trade at all.

Correct. ie. Rd 22 v Carlton, 2007. :(

Glad to have Grimes on board even if he hasn't taken to the park yet.

TJ never wanted to do the hard yards, always cut corners IMO.

:D

Correct. ie. Rd 22 v Carlton, 2007. :(

Glad to have Grimes on board even if he hasn't taken to the park yet.

TJ never wanted to do the hard yards, always cut corners IMO.

Carlton deliberately avoided putting a tag at any time on TJ during that game. TJ amassed 40+ possessions.

Tank you Carlton. <_<

Not sure I follow your logic. Putting in better performances is what we all want. No doubt if TJ was in the team this year that would have occurred. Wins are virtually meaningless are they?

Whilst we build a team that can take us to a premiership and we bottom out like we have this year we still need to keep our eye on this. We must be competitive and give our supporters hope.

Yes, wins in rubbish years are meaningless. I want a flag, and decisions that are aimed at winning us a flag give me hope as a supporter. TJ won't be around for our next flag tilt and was thus expendable.

I was hoping Bailey would take TJ on as a challenge and give him one year to get his act together. I thought for all TJ's talent it was worth the risk.

Another year, and TJ's value would have plummetted. No thanks. This is all ignoring the off-field side of TJ.

Another year, and TJ's value would have plummetted. No thanks. This is all ignoring the off-field side of TJ.

It's interesting to consider that if TJ had delivered another ordinary season, combined with him being one year older, what we would have been offered for him in the upcoming draft period (with all clubs having their last shot at an uncompromised draft this year).

Difficult to assess, but maybe a mere second round pick?

It's interesting to consider that if TJ had delivered another ordinary season, combined with him being one year older, what we would have been offered for him in the upcoming draft period (with all clubs having their last shot at an uncompromised draft this year).

Difficult to assess, but maybe a mere second round pick?

Given Brisbane is not as close as it thought to the finals and given I dont think TJ would have shown a yelp in a third rate midfield, I would suggest no deal at all.