Caro Wilson

45HG

If you read Caroline Wilson's article about Coliingwood's VFL ground it mentions in the last few paragraphs that MFC might not be moving to the Olympic Park precinct after all. Sounds like we're going to use Casey and the MCG as our only bases, with Gosch's Paddock to run around on. If it's true then we're back at the G in a "big way" which is great.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read Caroline Wilson's article about Coliingwood's VFL ground it mentions in the last few paragraphs that MFC might not be moving to the Olympic Park precinct after all. Sounds like we're going to use Casey and the MCG as our only bases, with Gosch's Paddock to run around on. If it's true then we're back at the G in a "big way" which is great.

What Caro said about that doesn't seem to make sense...

My understanding is that our new offices will be at the Rectangular Stadium and we will also train there during the season.

Does anyone else know any more? Maybe I am wrong... it could be that we are only to use the pool, weights & medical rooms there or some variation of that.

But then where are we to be training?

This venue will not be ready until Jan 2010 (unlike this year as originally planned) largely due to the Melbourne Victory wanting a larger capacity than originally planned (25,000 up to 31,000) and Telstra Dome having a contract stating no venue will be built in the area with a capacity exceeding 30K until 2010.

Surely the club would not sit back knowing they'd have to wait an extra 2 years, only to have the deal fall apart now (how could it?).

FWIW I have a close friend who runs event management for Olympic Park and they will be sharing offices with MFC.

She said last week that currently they are scheduled to get the keys at the start of Jan 2010.

What Caro said about that doesn't seem to make sense...

My understanding is that our new offices will be at the Rectangular Stadium and we will also train there during the season.

Does anyone else know any more? Maybe I am wrong... it could be that we are only to use the pool, weights & medical rooms there or some variation of that.

But then where are we to be training?

Casey is mooted as our summer base.

From what we know the plans are to have admin and player facilities in the 'precint' and training oval (Gosch's Paddock) nearby as our in-season base.

Since the deal hasn't been signed, there's been some speculation regarding the Olympic Park deal on these boards.

As Roost It has mentioned, some have raised the prospect of having facilities housed within the 'G - we currently have offices there and I believe some revamping of the Southern Stand is on the cards - and using Gosch's Paddock to train on. I have no idea whether this is plausible.

From what I've read on here, the plan for a while has been that we will train on Gosch's Paddock.

I'm not sure if that's classified as 'part of the precint', but if it isn't, Wilson's comment that we may not even train within the precint isn't revelatory.

Surely the club would not sit back knowing they'd have to wait an extra 2 years, only to have the deal fall apart now (how could it?).

How could it? Cost is one reason I can think of.

From what we know the plans are to have admin and player facilities in the 'precint' and training oval (Gosch's Paddock) nearby as our in-season base.

Ok, my understanding was that we'd train at the Olympic Park Precint and Gosch's Paddock would be a secondary training area if needed.

I think i'm hearing way too many different things from different sources.

Since the deal hasn't been signed, there's been some speculation regarding the Olympic Park deal on these boards.

How could it? Cost is one reason I can think of.

I thought that we'd contractually tied ourselves into this deal whether there are cost blowouts or not.

Evidently I was wrong.

I don't care if its Olympic Park or MCG, as long as we get a good result that works. This is exasperating.

Guest Golgothan

Rogue & The Shaft, that Caro article says "...and even the prospect of Melbourne having a training venue within the Olympic Park precinct has become more remote." Gosch's Paddock is part of that precinct, so WTF does that mean?!?

Does anyone actually know that any of the rectangular stadium or future training ground stuff is a certainty? Nothing is as far as i'm aware and i've almost had enough of hearing nothing out of the club. I know that anything written in the paper could just be crap, but we've all got our limits. The club tells us almost nothing, they just let journalist make baseless assumption and they don't try to negate any of the negative publicity. Obivously they can't respond to everything, but they could at least try to keep us updated. But the only thing out of the club recently was Stynes saying "we still plan to be involved...", well that's great Jimmy, i still plan to root Miranda Kerr, but that doesn't mean it'll happen

I just wished something, anything about MFC was certain. Sometimes the closest thing to a certainty seems like that my children won't get to grow up watching MFC.

Rogue & The Shaft, that Caro article says "...and even the prospect of Melbourne having a training venue within the Olympic Park precinct has become more remote." Gosch's Paddock is part of that precinct, so WTF does that mean?!?

Does anyone actually know that any of the rectangular stadium or future training ground stuff is a certainty? Nothing is as far as i'm aware and i've almost had enough of hearing nothing out of the club. I know that anything written in the paper could just be crap, but we've all got our limits. The club tells us almost nothing, they just let journalist make baseless assumption and they don't try to negate any of the negative publicity. Obivously they can't respond to everything, but they could at least try to keep us updated. But the only thing out of the club recently was Stynes saying "we still plan to be involved...", well that's great Jimmy, i still plan to root Miranda Kerr, but that doesn't mean it'll happen

I just wished something, anything about MFC was certain. Sometimes the closest thing to a certainty seems like that my children won't get to grow up watching MFC.

I'm guessing this but from what I read and can decipher the MFC will have it's season training base at Gosch's and gym etc will be at the MCG. The cost to the club of this will be neglible. The cost of Bubbledome is too much for the club hence the return to the G has become such a priority. The previous admin could only raise around $500,000 of the costs which I believe totalled more than a million for Bubbledome. The silence from the club is expected in such trying circumstances. The club is a mess and it's going to take time, patience and understanding from all of us. But just think how good it will be if they get it right! 10 - 15 years minimum to really get this club going, and that's if they get it right.

I guess i just assumed we'd contractually agreed to be tenants of the Rectangular Stadium since my inside mail tells me we have a say in alterations to the design of the gym, etc.

Surely this entire project wouldn't even go ahead until the proposed tenants were somehow tied to the place??

They can't spend all this money building it then have the teams back out at the last minute.

I've not heard much at all from the club on this subject, but what i have heard never suggested to me that it wasn't already agreed on.

This hurts.

Firstly, 'more remote' isn't a definite statement. However, if you're right re: Gosch's Paddock, it's pretty interesting.

I'm not sure what other options there are - both Stynes and Schwab have said our future is in the heart of the city, and I don't think training on the MCG full-time during the season is even a remote possibility.

Where else?

Does anyone actually know that any of the rectangular stadium or future training ground stuff is a certainty?

As far as I'm aware, it's not a done deal - it wasn't late-ish in the season, and I haven't heard any announcements since then.

Maybe we'd lose some money we had to front up though, but I don't think the contract has been put to bed.

I'm guessing this but from what I read and can decipher the MFC will have it's season training base at Gosch's and gym etc will be at the MCG.

There's been some speculation that this could be the case for a while not, but it seems mostly based on lack of progress at the OP precint and the touted redevelopment of the 'G plus our desire to cosey up with the MCC.

Is that the case with your guess?

The cost of Bubbledome is too much for the club hence the return to the G has become such a priority. The previous admin could only raise around $500,000 of the costs which I believe totalled more than a million for Bubbledome.

I don't think it's the fit-out that is necessarily the major cost concern.

The cost of Bubbledome is too much for the club hence the return to the G has become such a priority. The previous admin could only raise around $500,000 of the costs which I believe totalled more than a million for Bubbledome.

I don't think it's the fit-out that is necessarily the major cost concern.

Bubbledome is around $500k/year RECURRENT. It's surprising that MFC didn't rule a line through this crazy notion months ago.

Training on the MCG (other than on a very odd occasion) just won't happen.

Maybe the reason no announcement has been made about Casey as a summer venue is that it might be needed on a more regular basis.

Bubbledome is around $500k/year RECURRENT. It's surprising that MFC didn't rule a line through this crazy notion months ago.

Training on the MCG (other than on a very odd occasion) just won't happen.

Maybe the reason no announcement has been made about Casey as a summer venue is that it might be needed on a more regular basis.

Bubbledome appears to be the fanciful ponderings of our previous administration. With the cost cutting going on you wouldn't imagine we'll be going ahead with it. Let's hope the MCG and MFC can work out a suitable long term arrangement.

My understanding is that the Bubbledome tenancy deal is not finalised and there are concerns about its appropriateness as a football and administration base for MFC. I understand that the proposed administrative office space is not big enough nor easily expandable to accommodate MFC admin requirements.

There is still alot of water to go under the bridge for both the Casey and Bubbledome. We also need to get a more viable ground usage tenancy arrangement with the AFL.

My understanding is that the Bubbledome tenancy deal is not finalised and there are concerns about its appropriateness as a football and administration base for MFC. I understand that the proposed administrative office space is not big enough nor easily expandable to accommodate MFC admin requirements.

What were we thinking?

So we were going to sign up to a deal we couldn't afford at a venue that wasn't suitable. Let's hope Mr Gardiner has chipped in to the DD.

Guest Golgothan
I'm guessing this but from what I read and can decipher the MFC will have it's season training base at Gosch's and gym etc will be at the MCG. The cost to the club of this will be neglible. ....
This is not a dig, but you're guessing like the rest of us, so basically NFI

Firstly, 'more remote' isn't a definite statement. However, if you're right re: Gosch's Paddock, it's pretty interesting.

I'm not sure what other options there are - both Stynes and Schwab have said our future is in the heart of the city, and I don't think training on the MCG full-time during the season is even a remote possibility.

Obviously it's not a definitive statement, good journalists rarely make statements of fact unless they're spot on, they usually leave room to back away from it by using indefinte terms like 'more remote'. And as you said what are our other options? Continue training at junction oval?

Another 'maybe', but that is a really possibility. Maybe Melbourne were stalling so that they could figure out a new deal to offer to Casey.

I guess i just assumed we'd contractually agreed to be tenants of the Rectangular Stadium since my inside mail tells me we have a say in alterations to the design of the gym, etc.

Surely this entire project wouldn't even go ahead until the proposed tenants were somehow tied to the place??

They can't spend all this money building it then have the teams back out at the last minute.

I've not heard much at all from the club on this subject, but what i have heard never suggested to me that it wasn't already agreed on.

This hurts.

More assumptions. Ken oath it hurts. But you say you've never heard anything to say that it wasn't agreed on, well i'm a little less optimistic and i have never heard anything to suggest that it was signed, especially in more recent months.

So between the 4 of us who all seem reasonably knowledgeable and even other posters (I can see Rhino has posted something starting with "my understanding is") we collectively know f_ck all. While i have greater faith in the Stynes board, they are even more guarded about releasing any facts or updates to the public. And it's frustrating as all hell

So between the 4 of us who all seem reasonably knowledgeable and even other posters (I can see Rhino has posted something starting with "my understanding is") we collectively know f_ck all. While i have greater faith in the Stynes board, they are even more guarded about releasing any facts or updates to the public. And it's frustrating as all hell

If nothing is signed yet maybe there isn't anything to release. We're all doing the limbo. You would however expect that if Bubbledome was a definite then the club wouldh've already said so.

First of all - it is the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium or MRS. I've never heard it referred to as the 'Bubbledome' except for on here. I don't get it.

More info if anyone wants it.

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=279

http://www.majorprojects.vic.gov.au/Web3/m...Expand=2.7&

Where have you heard this? I've not heard anything like that... I thought cost was the issue

True. Except I know someone directly involved in the day-to-day running of MOPT and she has told me as of last week they expect to share their offices with MFC from Jan 2010.

As in she seems to think it is set in concrete. So surely there is some sort of contract involved here? That office space would have to be leased out already I would've thought, not just a tentative "yeah, we probably will..." from MFC.

This all could be a result of Schwab coming in & seeing the past CEO has had no idea, so he will search for a better alternative.

I have to respect the guy cos of what he's done in the past.

Lets hope he has some tricks left up those sleeves.

What are gym facilities, etc. like at MCG ?? I have no idea why, but for some reason i have it in the back of my mind that they are less than desireable...

First of all - it is the Melbourne Rectangular Stadium or MRS. I've never heard it referred to as the 'Bubbledome' except for on here. I don't get it.

More info if anyone wants it.

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=279

http://www.majorprojects.vic.gov.au/Web3/m...Expand=2.7&

Where have you heard this? I've not heard anything like that... I thought cost was the issue

True. Except I know someone directly involved in the day-to-day running of MOPT and she has told me as of last week they expect to share their offices with MFC from Jan 2010.

Does she know for sure or is she, like the rest of us, awaiting confirmation .

What are gym facilities, etc. like at MCG ?? I have no idea why, but for some reason i have it in the back of my mind that they are less than desireable...

The Southern Stand is about to be refitted, the idea being that the old changerooms could become home to the Demons. This, like most of this talk is just that at the moment, Talk.

Does she know for sure or is she, like the rest of us, awaiting confirmation .

She has been told this, but whilst she's quite high up it wouldn't surprise me if she wasn't totally kept in the loop.

Its not really integral to her role at this stage.

In a years time she will have to know for sure due to planning, so i'll have something then if we don't hear otherwise.

I am sure I read that we put a $200K deposit on the place and if we decide to opt out we lose that deposit. I believe the same source mentioned the large ongoing rent at the MRS (bubbledome is an affectionate name given to it by demonlanders who have seen images of it) compared with negligible rent at the MCG if we choose to go there.

MRS (bubbledome is an affectionate name given to it by demonlanders who have seen images of it)

haha I was wondering cos I hadn't heard it til on here and when I googled it i got nothing.. confused me a little at first :rolleyes:

Guest Golgothan

For anyone interested, have a look at this link http://www.mopt.com.au/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-178/

It's a "live" webcam, but it's far from live, it just updates a still shot 2 or 3 times a day. It's pointed directly at the building site for the MRS, it shows 4 cranes, a few trucks and you can see the progress on the stands, etc.

As in she seems to think it is set in concrete. So surely there is some sort of contract involved here? That office space would have to be leased out already I would've thought, not just a tentative "yeah, we probably will..." from MFC.

That's the sort fo thing i want to hear, if nothing is coming out of the club. Yes it might change, but at this point in time as far as they are aware MFC is going in there. Puts me at ease to a small extent. I know it's most likely futile, but has anyone tried asking the club?