Worst News Yet

Dappa Dan

Footy Show Leaked Document to Hutchy...

Only planned at this stage, not ironclad...

It's WAY too complicated to just repeat off the tele...

But this year 15 QLD kids opt out of the draft.

The next year 15 kids out of the national draft, as well as the top 5 rookies...

And after that, it gets worse...

For three years the top 5 will go to either Gold Coast or Western Sydney whatevers...

How does this relate to us?

IF we get the top pick this year and win less than 5 games... ie If the Toigs and Poos win more than 4 games each, We will get Pick one, and after that get picks 17 and 18...

But after that, if we go badly for a couple, maybe a few years, let's say we get priority picks in that time, instead of getting 1 and 2... or 1 and 4 or whatever... we will have to wait for the other clubs to nick the best talent in the land... again...

And that's under the current system...

What a crock. The AFL: The rich get richer...

Watch this space...

The rich get richer?

How can a club be rich if it doesn't exist!

Besides - top picks don't guarantee success

yes it does 90% of the time

we need thoes piucks n if we lose them its a joke

Footy Show Leaked Document to Hutchy...

Only planned at this stage, not ironclad...

It's WAY too complicated to just repeat off the tele...

But this year 15 QLD kids opt out of the draft.

The next year 15 kids out of the national draft, as well as the top 5 rookies...

And after that, it gets worse...

For three years the top 5 will go to either Gold Coast or Western Sydney whatevers...

How does this relate to us?

IF we get the top pick this year and win less than 5 games... ie If the Toigs and Poos win more than 4 games each, We will get Pick one, and after that get picks 17 and 18...

But after that, if we go badly for a couple, maybe a few years, let's say we get priority picks in that time, instead of getting 1 and 2... or 1 and 4 or whatever... we will have to wait for the other clubs to nick the best talent in the land... again...

And that's under the current system...

What a crock. The AFL: The rich get richer...

Watch this space...

what a joke. AFL funded clubs and gift wrapt premierships turns me off football all together, the real clubs worked hard over 100s of years to build the game and these new franchises are getting million dollar marketing guys paid from the dollars that the foundation clubs built, and pretty much iron clad guarantee of AFL monetary assistance for infinity until they become viable, and what will we get? probably money thrown at us to merge away our history..., sick :angry:

this expansion [censored] is going to ruin our game, who gives a stuff about gold coast and western sydney, if they wanna watch thugby good luck to them :angry:

The AFL will be no better then the WWE with this gift wrapt premierships for markets that couldnt give a [censored] about football in order to get market share and more $$$$ i bet they get cap concessions and the AFL will pimp offf the strugglying victorian clubs to give em extra home games up on the GC improving their draw.

Then ya have a real historical football state, with a government that actually wants to be part of the competition that doesnt even get a look in.

AFL couldnt give a stuff that its supposed to be sport, its all about the $$$$...

Of course you could also look at it as ...we will have the best dip at the last fair dinkum draft for a while !! With a reasonable expectation of a modicum of improvement next year we ought not finish with only 4 wins anyway.

other than West Syd and the Gold Coasters.. all teams will be in same boat.....get used to it.

How can a club be rich if it doesn't exist!

Besides - top picks don't guarantee success

Rich get Richer? I was referring to the AFL. But also that conveniently the club that looks most likely to be rebuilding during that time will not benefit the same as Carlton (2002-2007), Hawthorn (2003-2006), Ninthmond (Ohhh... since I've been alive)...

And top picks don't guarantee success... but it makes it easier. What do you suggest, we deliberately take later picks every year? Maybe we should recruit a good recruiter...

Dappa, this has not been agreed to by the clubs, JB even said he thinks that will be changed, so lets not all get vented up over something that is not there.

Yep. As I said, not ironclad... And I'm the LAST to take anything from Hutchy seriously... But I was waiting for what the AFL were going to say about these drafts, and even if it's HALF as severe as this, we'll still be worse off than I thought we would be. I was hoping for, at worst a one-for-you-one-for-me type arrangement... ie, established teams go in order through the odd picks, and the new clubs go in order through the evens...

Of course you could also look at it as ...we will have the best dip at the last fair dinkum draft for a while !! With a reasonable expectation of a modicum of improvement next year we ought not finish with only 4 wins anyway.

No and no for mine... Yes we'll get the last pick #1, but that's only assuming we come last and Blues and Tigers don't get their priority pick. And even then we get only #1, #17 and #18. Hardly cleaning up are we?

And with a reasonable expectation of a modicum of improvement we should have a crack at winning maybe 2 games next year. Right now we only have a handful of injuries and are so far off it it's not funny... If you think we're going to be anything higher than 13th-16th for at least this year and next you've got a rude shock coming... And God knows what's going to happen to us after that.

other than West Syd and the Gold Coasters.. all teams will be in same boat.....get used to it.

We will. We always do. We'll end up lucking out some success from recruiting rookies, and having a team full of Jmacs and Robbos... But will be back to meiocrity AT BEST!!!

The point here is... For the last 10-15 years we have been middle of the road. One Grand Final, one wooden spoon, and probably more than our fair share of finals series in which we underperformed. In that time we had one big recruiting drive back when recruiting drives existed, that netted us Neitz and Schwarta during the time of Lyon and co... Since then we've limped and limped through nothingness...

The one big silver lining on this dark, black cloud we have hanging over us at the moment is that with the young ball-winners we have, we can recruit some big names with 3 years worth of bottoming out. We can do what the Hawks, Blues and Lions of this world have done, and all we need to do is survive during that time, as we will finally have the picks we need to launch properly and shake the foundations of the AFL, like the Hawks are now with a list chock full of substance, solidity and out-and-out stars the likes of Franklin, Hodge etc etc...

If the Blues and Pies were looking at rebuilding over the next 4 years do you think they'd be bringing the teams in? Eddie would be up in arms and the great unwashed would be rioting in the streets. They know the demons will offer little resistance... So now's the time. And hey, maybe if we go badly enough we'll be forced to relocate and they will finally have less than 10 teams in Victoria.

So what do we do? I reckon we just pull out the stops. I was all for keeping Green, Bruce, White, Robbo etc etc at the end of the year, because we DO need SOME kind of seniority in the list... But as it is ANYTHING of value we have on the list has to be offloaded... I mean even the Bells and Bartrams who have value... JUST so we can flood this draft with demons selections...

The Hawks, back, I think, in the Franklin year had 5 picks in the first 21. Yes, some of them are going to be disappointing, or duds... but we will have something tangible to get behind, and most importantly those kids will grow up together, just like Geelong's kids did.

The problem? The other clubs will be doing the same thing... They know that drafting strongly through 2009-2012 will be hard, so they may trade heavily too.... Only they will have players that other clubs want. We have only a few, like Brock and Jones... and we need to keep them.

Am I making any sense? I fear I may not be.

Guest unstable punt
Dappa, this has not been agreed to by the clubs, JB even said he thinks that will be changed, so lets not all get vented up over something that is not there.

the clubs will not let them get the first 5 picks from each draft, that is a frickin' joke

Timing is everything.

The year we bottom out, is the year the "brains trust" at the afl start making moves to set up their new teams. Where is our luck??

I thought we could rebuild, it seems we will be down at the bottom for a few years now, the years the AFL start chopping up the new talent to give to the "gold coast gold diggers" and the "south sydney draft rapists"

Well if this stuff does indeed go ahead i think we are in the best position out of any club.

It seems to me this year will be the last year to get great young talent and we are in the box seat.

Clubs need to agree to this disgraceful robbing of talents, which they probably won't.

Regardless, it makes getting a #1 pick, and trading for early picks this year absolutely paramount.

And you believe that the other clubs are going to trade early picks knowing what lies ahead? Clubs are far more judicious with trading early picks, which is why few trades actually go through.

For those professing a complete overhaul of our list need a reality check. Their replacements will predominently be draftees selected after pick 30, with a poor success rate of being A grade players.

And those who believe that we can build a premiership team in the next 5 years through the draft and trade system are delusional.

the clubs will not let them get the first 5 picks from each draft, that is a frickin' joke

I believe it is basically signed and sealed. Listening to Gary Pert (Pies CEO) on SEN before the Anzac clash he said the clubs all support the proposals, whatever they are and are 100% behind the expansion and the need for those clubs to be strong right from the start. THat leaves us a little vulnerable... we should be used to it by now

And you believe that the other clubs are going to trade early picks knowing what lies ahead? Clubs are far more judicious with trading early picks, which is why few trades actually go through.

For those professing a complete overhaul of our list need a reality check. Their replacements will predominently be draftees selected after pick 30, with a poor success rate of being A grade players.

And those who believe that we can build a premiership team in the next 5 years through the draft and trade system are delusional.

I think we have done really well with mid round and late round and rookie listed picks, it has been the top end of the draft with the superstar players where we have fallen over.

gold coast teams picks mean [censored] all

which is why we need Natanui this yr and some other good picks before the next couple of seasons the bottom teams will suffer

We must trade Chris Johnson, Mark Jamar to get some top 30 picks

We got pick 14 for TJ.

We could get the same, or higher for Bruce. We can also get fairly reasonable picks for Green and Sylvia, if we combine the offer with a later draft pick.

There are ways of gaining early (not top 10, but top 20) picks, it's just a matter of having the balls to do it.

which is why we need Natanui this yr and some other good picks before the next couple of seasons the bottom teams will suffer

You cant seriously think these two players are worth a top 30 pick.

i can cos they're young and have a bit of currency

jamar- new opportunity, same with CJ- cj has such a nice left foot he never uses it. christ he's woeful

if sean dempster can play in stkildas team, then these two could be of worth to someone

good luck finding a team willing to trade a top30 pick for those duds.

teams only trade for players who are going to fit into their best 22, fill a desperate need.

noone would have those 2 in the best 30 players at their club so noone would trade for them.

the only players who could arguably fetch top 25 picks are Green, Bruce, Mclean, Jones and Davey.

Not one of our players could get us a top 10 pick.

I like Petterd... Actually, I REALLY like Petterd and see him as an important part of our future.

But you're absolutely right. Petterd would probably go too, and who could blame him?

The year we bottom out, is the year the "brains trust" at the afl start making moves to set up their new teams. Where is our luck??

I thought we could rebuild, it seems we will be down at the bottom for a few years now, the years the AFL start chopping up the new talent to give to the "gold coast gold diggers" and the "south sydney draft rapists"

Well if this stuff does indeed go ahead i think we are in the best position out of any club.

It seems to me this year will be the last year to get great young talent and we are in the box seat.

Indeed.

PS. Props to the guy who feels we'll get top 30 picks for Jamar and CJ, particularly while in the same breath describing CJ as 'woeful'.